Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Light weight bed to max out 26000 lb truck.

Granny ยท 2012-08-01 10:58

We want to change the 24' bed on our 26000 lb truck. We want the strongest light wt bed so that we can carry the heaviest payload and stay under 25999. How much heavier is a wood bed than steel? (I know aluminum is the lightest) Are there any disadvantages to having an alumium bed? Is red oak heavier than white Oak? How important is using kiln dried oak? Is a steel bed the best? I think the truck weighs about 12K without a bed. I understand that a 24 ft bed can weigh anywhere between 4K and 8K. We want a strong bed, but we also want the maxium weight bed. Can anyone direct me to some instructions that include Gov't or DOT regulations that would aid us in either building or a buying a bed. Any other thoughts? Thanks, Granny

Replies3
  1. #1The Peej2012-08-01 12:30

    What will you be carrying and how long do you expect the bed to last?

  2. #2Granny2012-08-01 12:45

    we carry machine parts. Could weigh anywhere between 1000lbs and 15K I hadnt thought about how long it would last, but its only out an hour or two a day and the rest of the time its garage kept. Our other trucks have the original 3/16 bed and they are 15 and 20 years old.

  3. #3thomas802012-08-02 11:27

    Hi, I found these two websites that I think may answer some of your questions about oak vs aluminium http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080615222038AApxKZy and oak bed frames Sorry if I misunderstood you