Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Western Star 4900. Good or bad?

buckfever ยท 2012-08-02 20:20

We just picked up a 05 western star at a Taylor Martin auction. It has a C15 cat motor, 8ll trans, 46,000 rears, 14,300 fronts, wetline, and half leef air ride. We never thought we were going to get this truck, we went to bid on a 379 pete and 3 w-900 but this truck came up first and we got it at a price we thought was good. I guess I should of asked this before we bought it Anyways just wanted your opions. This will be a lowboy truck for hauling our equipment. I'll get some pictures and try to post them tomarrow.

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies15
  1. #1Soodude2012-08-03 01:00

    A c15 has 600+ horse right? Sorry not familiar with cat, I'm a cummins guy but as for the tranny I love the 8LL, having that deep reduction lets you walk out of a lot of things with a heafty load..... If it were my truck I would be hauling trains, but that's just me lol

  2. #2buckfever2012-08-03 20:25

    It starts out at 425hp and goes up to 575. We are going to run it a while and see how high we need to go.

  3. #3masterwelder2012-08-03 21:48

    60000+ tractor is a good start... 8LL in my opion is best on a dump, I would prefer a 13 or beter yet a 18. Just depends on your specific application. Wet line is almost a necesity, so good thing it's already there. C-15 well what can you say... it's a CAT! I have driven western stars in the past- nothing recent- but a good solid truck. Dose it have a doubble frame? What is the wheel base? Hope it serves you well.

  4. #4nickbowers2012-08-04 06:39

    not a bad truck all all

  5. #5Pass'n thru2012-08-04 10:38

    Our '99 4964 does daily duty as a stone slinger.475 cat 8ll trans. Solid truck:tong

  6. #6buckfever2012-08-04 17:44

    Yes it has a double frame and I believe it has a 247 in. wheel base. This truck is going to replace our 89 kw t-600. The kw is in great shape and runs solid but we are looking for something a little more heavy duty. Just hope we made a good upgrade.

  7. #7ben46a2012-08-08 08:57

    Nothing wrong with a star. They usually are a bit heavier but are a well put together truck. I'd put them up against a paccar anyday.

  8. #8tireman2012-08-08 21:16

    Before they were acquired by Daimler or whoever the hell owns them now, the Western Star was built completely by hand. Think it was in the late 90's they were taken over. Before that, they were a very durable truck, according to owners and drivers I spoke with while doing tire service on them. Never had the pleasure of driving one. It's about the only make I've never driven, actually. Best of luck with it.

  9. #9jeff marson2012-08-08 22:42

    westernstar wanted to make it to that auction what did the w900l s go far price wise thanks

  10. #10Hendrik2012-08-08 22:44

    Well there is always a risk when buying from auctions, especially if there is no history and only limited time to inspect, however if you know your trucks you can usually get a good idea of the condition of the unit.

  11. #11buckfever2012-08-09 20:32

    All three went from 25,000 to 29,000. They were all a little rough. If you where going to use them like we would (less then 10,000 miles a year) they were good trucks. But you could tell they had been riden hard and put away wet alot.

  12. #12Hendrik2012-08-09 22:17

    Did they have super sexy big stick shifts? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIw_ZfM26Hw

  13. #13buckfever2012-08-10 17:40

    In all the trucks we have had over the years i've never had one with a loud turbo whistle. Even our t-600 with a 3406 and straight pipes. That shifter look unconfortable. I would end up hitting the dash or tearing a rotator cuff with a long shift pattern like that.

  14. #14Pass'n thru2012-08-11 11:34

    Good heavens...billy bigrigger,supertrucker, seat on the floor,looks like my grandma try'in to see over the steering wheel

  15. #15Hendrik2012-08-11 20:40

    Each to their own.