I'm wiring up some pod lights on my kubota. Have most of it figured out, but I need power from somewhere. I could hook directly to the battery, but that wouldn't be my first or easiest choice. Is there somewhere I can get 12v accessory power, near the fusebox or under the floor?
Run to the cigarette accessory line near likely where you are installing switches or go right to the battery with an inline fuse. If you're setting up say lights in front on one switch, lights in back on a switch, a beacon and phone charger, maybe set up another fuse box.
This is a great idea. I'll look into this. Also considered hooking into the front boom light since it's 1 light on a 20amp circuit. I think it would support a couple LED lights too.
Good day KX factory method may be of help. Kind regards Uffex
Is the boom light LED too? If so, that may be a good plan. But if it's on a 20 amp fuse and it's an older machine I bet it's not LED. If the engine is running, then the battery is safe when using halogen lights as they use a lot of battery power. LED's don't run down the battery as fast, but that is determine by how bright they are (lumen). So if you want to have lights on with the engine off, put the new lights on different circuit or change the halogen boom light to LED and put it on that circuit.
it's a 2019, but I think the boom light is halogen. I'd prefer the lights to turn off with the ignition. The beacon light on my bobcat doesn't and I'm always leaving it on by accident. I just got done mounting the pod lights and the wiring harness is done. I just need to go find my power now.
ok, that was a suckfest. Thought I knew what I wanted to do. Got everything hooked up, routed, wire up switch, had to extend power wire to reach battery. I didn't want to do that. Wanted to use acc power. But was taking too much of my day for a simple project. And then I realized, that the switch was illuminated. ***! It's a lighted switch, I can't run it off battery. I could rewire the switch, but then I'd have to rewire my harness too, which would require taking everything apart for the 5th time. It would be real nice if the manufactures pre-wired for some accessories. I mean people do add things. Ford does this with there trucks and it's super simple to hook stuff up. Finally found an unused fuse slot that had acc power, but only 1 side had termimals. But I could probably use a fuse tap anyway and run a wire out of the fusebox. But again Kubota didn't think of that, so I'll have to figure out how to do that without destroying anything.
Bummer. Well you could wire to the battery and install a battery shut off switch. Less likely someone may steal the machine if left on a job site, and nothing else will somehow drain the battery.
ok, it's all done and I'm happy with it. Used a fuse tap to get acc power from the fuse box, that worked. Found a ground near the fuse box too. So just had to reroute the wires from the battery to the fusebox and they were just long enough. Wrapped a few places in split wire loom, couple zipties here and there. And it all works great. Turn machine on, switch lights up, flip switch and the LEDs light come on. Kubota for a few pennies, could have made this SOOO much easier. Yesterday I had zero luck with anything. Today everything went so much better. No idea why. Am I the only one like this? Some days your bless, some days cursed, nothing inbetween?
It’s always like that. Adding accessories with a clean install takes a lot of time. Only exception is when you do the same thing, to the same machine, multiple times. Glad you figured it out.