Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Lightweight 14k trailer?

Farmerben · 2019-08-13 21:09

I’d like a 14k trailer to pull my Takeuchi tb250-2 with my f250, rated to pull 13,300 lbs. ideally this means a trailer under 2,000 pounds. Anyone make a trailer this light or a way to build one this light?

Replies10
  1. #1RTSmith2019-08-15 15:50

    Well, I have a Delta 18' (16'flat, 2' dove) that the shipping label says is 3,182#. I got a 20' in yesterday that says 2,000#. I believe the 3,182 is more accurate. Frankly- I wouldn't trust my machine on something of a lesser build. I'll be selling the 18' soon if it can fit your needs. You're welcome to look at it in Shelbyville.

  2. #2RTSmith2019-08-15 15:52

    I have a Midsota TB-20 tilt trailer that they show as 3,296# just for what it is worth.

  3. #3suladas2019-08-17 18:00

    I have a 18' Southland with 2 7000lb axles it weights about 2250lbs that I haul my Takeuchi TB153FR on that's just a hair over 13,000bs. Had it for about 10 months now and it's taking it fine. I don't think you'll get much lighter trailer though, maybe if you go to a 16' or 14' may need to be custom built though or 6000lbs axles with the trailer rated for 13,000lbs though I don't know if the trailer would be much lighter.

  4. #4suladas2019-08-17 18:01

    A lot depends on the options. Beavertails are heavy, and from 18' to 20' seems to jump the weight a ton for some reason. A very basic trailer with flip up ramps will be a lot lighter.

  5. #5Farmerben2019-08-17 18:47

    Sulada So it sounds like it’s overweight? What do you pull it with?

  6. #6suladas2019-08-17 18:50

    Nope. Trailer is rated for 15,400lbs. Depending on extra buckets, dirt on machine etc i've scaled up to 15,600lbs, i'm not too worried about a few extra hundred pounds. I load it so it puts 2000lbs on the pin to make sure I never overload the trailer axles. I pull it with a 13 ram 3500, rating for 17,000lbs.

  7. #7Farmerben2019-08-25 07:09

    Do you use a cdl with this setup?

  8. #8suladas2019-08-25 16:22

    No. I'm in Canada so no CDL required for a pickup, regardless of weight.

  9. #9Farmerben2019-08-25 16:27

    I think that’s the first time I’ve been jealous of Canadians

  10. #10suladas2019-08-25 16:56

    There's lots more reason to be jealous! It would be such a pain to need a special licence for a pickup. Although I have a class 1 anyway and can drive anything.