D7F Ex US Mil. near to me at Washington MO. Noted a Oddity I have not ever seen, Shanks and Teeth BEHIND Blade. Surplus Caterpillar Ex-Military D7-F Dozer With 3 Shank Ripper in Washington, Missouri, United States (GovPlanet Item #4399345)
Also VERY Pricey.
Certainly is a rare machine. Diff steer. Also the half worn out cutting edge is in near perfect condition. I wonder how much salt water it has seen?
Miller, I watched one sell 'bout 6 years ago new. I mean NEW, unused. Plastic still on the seat and winch. Paper factory shipping tags still on the blade face. Had been stored inside all those years. Had 2.8 hrs on the meter. The bidding started at 25K and went beyond the one you posted. Same auction had two 631's never had the edges in the dirt. Ahh, it's just tax money, right? Oh, and the reverse rippers are near standard on military...
R.C., you read my mind...Diff steer my ***
When I worked for the Cat dealer three D7 machines came out on a surplus in Anchorage or Fairbanks. Almost no hours and not enough use to knock the green paint off the blade. I guess the used manager up there got them and sold them fast. My boss at the time said they didn't ask near the money they should have.
those are back up rippers - on a hinge where in forward push they swing free - when backing up with blade down rip the hard pan for the next push
The back up rippers, or at least the mounts, are very common to find on military units.
The listing is from Midwest Military Equipment. They refurbish and sell lots of military trucks and equipment.
Military with a made in Japan serial plate? Smells wrong. A large number of army and guard D7F's were factory blessed re-manufactured at some of the dealers, we did a whole herd of them at Halton in Oregon about 20 years ago, new engine, new transmission (or remanned tranny but the engines were actually new specials). All new undercarriage etc. Some of them had less than a thousand hours on them from new, but were freshened up anyway.
Not at all uncommon. When the miitary rebuilds or upgrades a machine, they do it to every one in that machine group. Does not matter if they are worn out or still brand new. Their reasoning is prepardness. If they are all the exact same, the parts will all interchange in a combat situation.
These don't look like they are hinged. I saw a D6c with rippers hinged on the blade. It was great for doing hill country farm tracks as you didn't need to turn the tractor around to rip.
It is a little odd in that all the dozers I've worked on for the airfare were FiatAllis brand. It was explained to me by an Airforce officer is that the government takes the low bid no matter who made it.
My D6D had reverse rippers on the blade as well. 75W series tractor
Someone over here is trying to sell one that is still located inthe US. Of course buyer pays shipping. LOL. https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/muchea/farming-vehicles/caterpillar-d7-f-/1267395555 The mind boggles why Cat even made the D7F. It is a bit of an odd bod that only lasted a few years.
here are a couple pages out of the military operator's manual for the scarifiers. i've looked at couple of the military D7's and I think one had them and one didn't. can't remember for sure.