Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Lime Treating

DarrylMueller ยท 2009-01-16 02:36

It's that time of the year and it lime treating to stabilize and dry it up. I have always wanted to know what is the correct formula for quick lime like 5%? And are their any test needed to go along, and how much water should be added? If anyone knows I am all ears?

Replies4
  1. #1Turbo218352009-01-16 08:40

    Well here goes nothing. Ive posted this in a few other threads. From what i see you are looking at a number of 5% lime. In the stabilization world this would not qualify the job as a stabilization job, rather it would be considered a "modification" job. Anything under 7% is modification. Yes you will get stabilization properties out of these lower percentages, but your mostly looking for the drying abilities from the product. There is a science to it, the chemical company you purchase the product from you will tell you that. Im here to tell you some of their science applies in the field, but its more art than anything. There are no set factors, say your adding 5% lime. How much water? Only you can figure it out. Its going to depend on the moisture content of the soil your working. Ive had jobs where we did not need to add any. Then again, these jobs we were not able to use our spreader trucks to start the job. We had to use trackloaders spreading lime out across the mud. Then till it in. After that initial pass we were able to use our spreader trucks. Ive also worked on jobs where we have had to run the water truck over the lime after it was spread, till it in, the water it again. All about job site conditions.

  2. #2Knucklehead2009-01-16 11:37

    These people seem to do the most in my area. They may be able to help. http://www.mtcsg.com/index.php

  3. #3DarrylMueller2009-01-18 00:20

    So stabilization is over 7% I could remember 5% and every now and then this comes up. I only was involved once and wanted to know a little more in case I need to use it again. I even bought a book that had lime treating in it. You had more info than the book.

  4. #4Turbo218352009-01-18 17:26

    Its scary that I know more than a book This information I have picked up from working on the jobsite a 10-20 times with a stabilization crew. One job I worked on as the spreader truck driver, Major suck job, and as the water truck driver. Combine this with one Carmuse Chemicals sales seminar. I dont really mind working with the product, but there are some major downside. With any chemical there are hazards. You do not want to get a lung full of lime, you will have a burning sensation that will make any acid reflux look week. Perhaps the worst thing that you can have happen is you get some in your boot, then start sweating. All it takes is a little moisture to set of the chemical reaction. You will have some serious hot foot.