Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

limp mode

Hookerhood ยท 2025-09-23 07:23

I have a 2004 international 4300 with dt466 engine. truck will crank and run and will accelerate ti 1/4 throttle then go into limp mode. you can cycle key off start engine and it clears it but does same thing again. i have replaced sensor on accelerator pedal but didnt fix it. any help will be appreciated. THANKS!

Replies21
  1. #1Shimmy12025-09-23 07:39

    I don't know your exact problem, but I know on trucks of that vintage with that engine, it could be many things, even something I haven't listed. Engine harness, injector harness, ECM, injectors, sensors, you get the idea.

  2. #2Hookerhood2025-09-23 09:35

    i do. just thinking could be a sensor somewhere shutting it down.

  3. #3Hookerhood2025-09-23 09:37

    scanner shows accelerator position sensor but i changed that.

  4. #4AllDodge2025-09-23 09:39

    Might be a bad connection on the sensor

  5. #5mekanik2025-09-23 19:48

    That vintage of truck with the DT466 had an issue with a wiring harness rubbing on the valve cover and intake. It caused a variety of wiring problems. lift the harness up and see if its worn into the wires.

  6. #6mekanik2025-09-23 19:58

    Can you post the last eight of the VIN or PM it to me?

  7. #7Hookerhood2025-09-24 11:44

    1HTMMAAN85H100025

  8. #8Hookerhood2025-09-24 11:48

    I did check voltage on the plug coming from the truck. I had 5 volts on one pin. is one of the pins suppose to have 12 volts ?Or does it work off of a 5 volt reference?

  9. #9Shimmy12025-09-24 18:53

    5V is usually Canbus voltage

  10. #10mekanik2025-09-24 20:42

    There is a potentiometer in the throttle position sensor the uses 5 volts from the engine ECM. There is also an idle validation switch in the throttle position sensor that uses 12 volt from F24 in the cab fuse block. Did you have a look at the harness that goes over the valve cover and intake manifold for wear? Here is a link to the wiring manual. https://drive.google.com/file/d/19el695gCwjUeB-rEgQYbDLc710Hb5lue/view?usp=sharing Page 59 shows the throttle position sensor.

  11. #11Hookerhood2025-09-25 12:37

    Haven't been able to get back on it yet. But will look at harness in the morning. Thank you for the help I will let you know tomorrow.

  12. #12terex herder2025-09-25 22:57

    Does the speedometer work properly? Don't know about navastar but some other brands will set check engine light and derate without proper speed signal.

  13. #13Hookerhood2025-09-26 08:50

    Cluster doesn't work but they say it hasn't in a while.

  14. #14crane operator2025-09-26 10:22

    Yours and every other international

  15. #15AllDodge2025-09-26 10:29

    My 1997 sometimes gets flaky but a couple smacks on the dash or turn off/on has fixed it.

  16. #16mekanik2025-09-26 10:47

    I did a thread on the 2001 and earlier instrument cluster repair: HeavyEquipmentForums

  17. #17AllDodge2025-09-26 10:53

    Thanks, very nice write up

  18. #18Hookerhood2025-09-29 09:46

    I would like to thank everybody for the help. I finally figured it out. that part of the fuse box was burned up. It controls throttle,cluster,and HVAC controler. But i am having trouble finding one lol.

  19. #19mekanik2025-09-29 10:49

    You can buy the plastic segments for the fuses and the individual connectors, The connectors come in different sizes for different gauge wire. You just need to fine a parts person willing to make the effort.

  20. #20Hookerhood2025-09-29 11:44

    That's what im looking for now. Just the segments. Having trouble finding them. Ebay has used ones for $650 but it's the whole rack.

  21. #21mekanik2025-09-29 13:09

    I have replaced them before dealer supplied them for not a lot of money. Order the orange plastic locks that keep the connectors in place as well.