I didn't want to hijack the other thread but I have a 850J with 6way blade and was pricing to get where the cylinders hook up to the blade line bored and i'm getting quotes of upwards of $6,000 was wondering if a smaller cheaper set like this would work I know it don't compare to what some of you guys use and deal with but is this junk? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dixon-Porta...ewItem&hash=item2a674e8236:g:IUAAAOSwyQtVk1CL My bores are like 1.965 and then the bigger one on the back of the c frame is 3" so would this machine do it? Why I was wondering is this job could about pay for itself if I could pay or half pay for a machine and then I would have to wait if I needed something done and could just do it in house. Or would a machine like this be a better option? http://www.ebay.com/itm/B-D-tm-8x-1...717005?hash=item4afd356d8d:g:6~oAAOSwajVUSVuN My research tells me that a 1 3/4" bar wont be able to do a 1.965" bore is that right? TIA Jerry
Jerry, Too much $$$ for the B&D! 1.75 bar (radius .875") 1.965 (0.09825" rad), weld build up by hand would have be kept to about 1/16" around the bore. Could you post photos of the cylinder dozer brackets? Maybe cheaper to cut them off and replace with new fab'D brackets.
Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Hey still learn'n I got to stand up for the Dixon boys they are just over the mountain from us and treat us very good. It's good quality two guys in a shop making the bars and mounts. Drives and feed are quality stuff also.But this is the tip of the iceberg it's not cheap and you will invest a good amount of money and a bunch of time to be professional. The hand welding is tedious to say the least . Just like anything else in the beginning it all looks like gravy until your behind on mechanical work hand welding holes at 3 am on a job your making less than rate because it's not made of what you thought it was and bid the job. Welding is one thing machining that weld is another. Lineboring is a welder and a machinist in one and repair equipment on top = a lot of tools and a lot of time learning just some stuff I've learned in a family repair business we can do it all but can we make money at it all is the question?
Nothing at all to add here. I think I'll go meditate on those words of wisdom...
Jerry, Wamego, Ks has Cat Tools Wamego and sub R-Tech Tool & Machine http://www.rtechtool.com/ as neighbors, across the street Balerson's DyMax; Todd Enders is also in town and has BB5000. R-Tech can handle the whole blade on the 60,000 capacity 5-axis 50hp Boring Gantry Mill; R-Tech owner Doug will probably tell to weld & refit the bores with a die grinder except the 3" center bore. If you're not to far away haul the blade down for a look. Cat buckets up to (late 90s) 980 size were not line bored during manufacture, they were precision mig welded by hand using a technique called pre-setting
I'm 115 miles from wamego that sounds like an interesting machine! I work for excavating company on a hourly wage so training wouldn't be out of my pocket! Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Jerry, Check out York's CADET basic $5657.00 doesn't include boring bars. You can rent the unit from Texas phone #281-554-9400 Why York, line boring requires Rigidity, York's double bearing mounting system is rigid compared to the Dixon machines.
Just have a machine shop make 4 new bosses and make longer 4140 pins . Weld the new bosses on the top and bottom of mounting plates . Easy fix
Yair . . . The solution as mentioned by CNY Bore has been pretty much my standard fix for these problems in remote areas. If done well and painted it can look like an original part of the machine. On some applications I am told there may be an issue with flexing and breaking of the unsupported pin . . . I never seen it happen. Once converted to the system future repairs just involve cutting of the bosses and doing it again. To take it a step further . . . . On the job shown it would be relatively simple to actually let the bosses into the lugs. You would need to be halfway decent with oxy torch though. I have even made thick flanged bosses that drop/drive through the holes and require a minimum of welding. The boss's welded to the outside of the lugs on the above job would be about half a days work or so. Letting them in obviously more but still a fraction of the precision boring cost . . . as always it horses for courses. Cheers.
I took it to cat dealer and they line bored it the top one they was able to bore on machine the lower 3 they had to cut off and put on table to machine I was a little unhappy with how little of communication they had with no calls to be about the extra work they did I thought it was going to take them 2-3 days and like on a Wednesday I called in there to see how it was coming cause I think it went in on Tuesday and they said oh it will be pry end of next week and I'm like what in the world oh they said we had to cut them off to be able to machine them so much for communicating that to customer but it was a new service manager so hope he gets better at communicating extra expense Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk