Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Link Belt 3400A doesn’t want to travel

davejo ยท 2023-08-22 13:46

I bought a running machine at auction in hopes of fixing a farm pond and other occasional duties. The Detroit 471 engine sounds pretty good but the machine would barely crawl off the low boy, bogging down. My buddy was driving it for me and it looks like the tracks are super tight and bound up. Buddy thinks its a fuel issue so I'm going to start with new filters and fixing a fuel line leak. Sorry for these dumb questions but is there a parking brake on these? I see an air compressor on the motor and a little air reservoir in the belly of the beast. I cracked the drain petcock and there wasn't any pressure in the tank, for what that's worth....

Replies3
  1. #1davejo2023-08-22 14:09
  2. #2davejo2023-08-23 14:54

    Fuel filters and leak repair got her up and humming. Now onto figuring what all the buttons and switches are for. For example a couple of small knobs in the battery compartment say hig and low. One is air line and the other hydraulic. Maybe one is for travel speed? Right now, it travels at less than human walking speed.

  3. #3Tones2023-08-23 16:45

    Worn seals in the centre/swivel joint could be the problem. It allows the oil to bypass the travel motors.