My friend got a 2010 Linkbelt 210 digger . It has a 4 cyl Izuzu (don't know the model) , anyway , there was a recall on the injectors. So the dealer installed the new injectors. After the injectors were replaced and they started the engine , it seems that the engine blew compression out into the rad and of course blew all the coolant out with it . they discovered that one of the seals on one injector had jammed and the injector was not seated. the dealer fixed the damage seal but now the engine runs terrible rough , a lot of blow-by and a lot of black smoke and from what I heard , it sounded like late detonation . Questions......... , Are the injectors wet and surrounded by coolant when installed ? if so , shouldn't the coolant be drained off before installation? If the engine put compression out in the rad because of an improper installed seal , wouldn't it be reasonable to think that coolant could get in on the piston . I thinks the engine has a bent con rod or two . am I right in thinking this or is there another problem ?
If that is a common rail system ,it sounds like compression is leaking back into the fuel rail. Air retards the injection timing and that will cause rough running.
First of all, sorry for your loss, I'm afraid your ordeal might just be starting though. Sounds like the injectors are surrounded by coolant, the dealer probably knew to at least drain it for the repair. Yes it is reasonable to assume some coolant got into the piston, and bent the rod on the one with the leaky injector seal. A (still) bad injector could explain a lot, but I don't think you'd get blowby with just a bad injector. What is the dealer doing or saying?
Not easy to answer an engine question if we don't know who manufactured it. Since Link-Belt doesn't make engines there are usually two possibilities, Isuzu or Cummins. Which might it be?
Hi John, in my opening post I said the Linkbelt had a 4 cyl Isuzu Delmer, the dealer is more or less a sales agent and they have very little with respect to serviceability , that's according to the owner. The service people never drained the coolant as the injector installation was done on site with the owner present when this was being done .
If you can find the engine data plate i have some case and JCB data which i believe a case is a link belt ? If the dealer service guy cant fix it i guess drain the coolant down and pull injectors and either use dti gauge with a small pin to measure the the distance at the top of the piston (height of travel of the piston or other way is a gas welding rod bring each piston up in turn and mark to the top of the head how far each piston is travelling and compare if one is different it will stand out at least its a quick way before removing head to find out only works if direct injection into the cylinders or do a compression test of each cylinder this will also tell you as it will be down on compression on a cylinder or two. I had a jcb js 130 with a isuzu in it that had been in the river backwards pulled injectors blew water out by turning engine over but the damage had already been done by the river water being sucked in machine still ran but the engine was a little uneven running and smocked a bit also you could hear the exhaust note was not quite right as well. First thing lean on the dealer service agent as they should have insurance for these type of ***k ups.
Been thinking more we had a problem with 4 cylinder Isuzu with the injectors that were sticking we release them from the clamps and re torqued them and the smoking stopped,did they torque the bolts on the clamps or just tight as possible ,if compression was leaking back into injectors you would have a lot of air in the fuel system and the return would have air in i would guess and the machine would possibly stop.
Cat_man320, I apologize cause I missed that. I posted in another thread of having issues with the machine dealers who would not purchase the connectors or the software to work on those engines. I would also suspect they didn't even buy an engine service manual for these machines. What some in this area are doing is contacting the Isuzu engine dealer direct and having them handle the warranty issues. I'm thinking there must be copper sleeves for the injectors in your engine to get coolant issues but i don't remember Isuzu having them in the past. If there are I would suspect they either were not cleaned properly before the new injectors were installed or that the hold downs were not properly torqued. At any rate I would think the head will have to come off and someone will have to install new coppers. You could very well be right about the bent con rods as well.