Testa Corp began demolition today in Lowell, MA using a 1971 HC 238 with a 5,000 pound wrecking ball. Balling old school was the order for the day on a 9 story concrete stroage warehouse. The HC 238 was in fell dress counterweights and carried a 160 foot main boom.
Nice pics ERH. I used to run a 218 of that vintage. I always marveled at the hex shaped bearing caps on the front wheel hubs, that's what you used to climb up in the lower cab of those rigs. Nice looking crane. Detroit engines?
Looks like they are going at it with a high reach excavator too. Awesome!
Great pics EarthRockHill .I love The old Link-Belts!It looks like they had alot of counterwieght on the crane to offset the 160 foot of boom and the swinging 5,000 lb wrecking ball.I have to ask,Could you tell what they had rigged in between the mainline & wrecking ball? I have seen crane operators put a truck tire between the mainline & ball to buffer the shock load.
Sure looks like a large tire that's rigged up in those pictures to me. I'd never really thought about that, but it does make sense.
Yep, it's a tire 25c. That's what we used to use on a drop ball. Amoung several reasons why; when you drop a ball on a floor to break it, your doing it free fall. As soon as the ball hits, you have to step on the brake or you'll spool of cable. There are time the ball hits, you step on brake, and ball falls through. When that happens, without the tire to absorb the shock, your going to do a little rockin' with the crane. I used a drop ball with a 218 back in the '80s. I'd love to sit in that 238. The old Link Belt's had the most comfortable operating controls I've worked with.
My uncle always rigged a 10.00-20 truck tire between the mainline & wrecking ball on my k-12 Insley.It only had a 1,000 lbs,ball on it ,the tire helped on the shock load.It looks like they have a tire or something rigged between the mainline & ball on the link-belt.
I thought it was a tire.Uncle Howard always used a truck tire with the Insley.I wonder if the "Goodyear" & "Firestone" warranty's cover the tire used as rigging?Hmmm? maybe it's coverd under " road hazard" or crane hazard.They are both good tire brands that have alot of use after they will no longer hold air.I would like to set in the seat of the 238 as well ATCOEQUIP.
Now that's funny! Believe me, bro, if you ever got to sit at the control station of an old HC Link Belt...you would love it!
Got any updated pictures of the wrecking job? Looks awesome, bro.
I am back on site tomorrow and will inquire some more on the powerplants...
Its actually THREE tires cabled together. Were talking 5,000 pounds of force doing the static lift but when the ball drops the kinetic energy released after missed strike increases the force exerted on the tires. Not enough tires and it would rip the ball off. Sometimes a limiting strap is put between the cranes cable end and the ball as an extra safety in case the tires fail.....
Balling How often would you say they ball a building as opposed to going at it with the track hoes? Seems to be getting rarer and rarer, especially with high reach excavators becoming more common. What's your sense about this, Stephen, and what do you see in the field? Others?
The last time I saw Testa ball a building was in 2003 at Logan International Airport. After the events of 9-11 the obsolete design of Logan's Terminal A was basically condemned because the parking garage was on the roof of the terminal itself. Testa used their Manitowoc 2250 with pretty much the same setup you see on the Link Belt.
Updated Photos of Job Shot these on Friday afternoon.
Super pictures EarthRockHill, I know what that crane operators neck feels like.
I agree with dozerdave.Great pictures EarthRockHill.I have to say that I have never seen counter wieght hung on the front of a truck crane chassis.That would give it alot of advantage when working over the rear.Thanks for sharing the pictures.
He gets out every once in a while to stretch and loosen up his legs and neck.... He doesn't have the advantage of the tilting and elevating cab of a modern Grove 7550 or the Komatsu 1250 thats on site...
Are they about done with this job now Steve? Any more pic updates?
The Link Belt was disassembled last Thursday and the rest of the building should be on the ground by now. I am going to the site next week to see how concrete and rebar processing is going. Also editing a video of the demo.