I have some general questions on linkage/bucket/boom/articulation/hydraulic cylinder pins and bushings and the metallurgy that goes in to them and I would like to get from other members their knowledge on this. If I am replacing the linkage pins on my equipment I have many options such as to buy OEM (Cat, Deere, Komatsu, Volvo, etc.), buy aftermarket, have replacements custom fabricated, or have my old ones built back up and turned (heat treatment?), how do these different options compare with one another? How much of an advantage does a chromed pin give me? If I have one fabricated what material stock should it be made from? Should it be heat treated or chromed? If I am replacing bushings I have the options of buying OEM, aftermarket, or custom fabricated and how do these options compare with one another? If I have a bushing fabricated what are my options of material stock and how would those compare with one another? As far as aftermarket I realize that not all of them may be identical, elaborate on this based upon you knowledge and your experience. Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge, opinions, and experience. 621_Rocker
Happy to help with more info
Chroming induction hardened pins would probably be your only option. We have made pins using chrome cylinder rod, some worked fine, we broke some too. I think the cylinder rod is probably brittle.