Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Lippmann Oscillating Screen Bearing Removal?

DoyleX ยท 2016-12-10 15:50

Where do I start to get this apart? No bearing info listed, maybe we can match some up? It's a 1957 model 4 x10 2 deck.

Replies6
  1. #1grandpa2016-12-16 18:08

    I have never seen a bearing housing quit like that before. Have you looked up from the bottom, between the two bolts and see if there isn't a set screw or two that hold that cover onto the bearing if none, the start to just pry those covers off,, I think those are just covers that set over the outside race of the bearing. I think the inside race of the bearing is just sitting against a step in the shaft that keeps it from going in to far. There should be set screw some where on that bearing, clean some grease off and investigate.... Grandpa.

  2. #2grandpa2016-12-16 18:10

    Is it the bearings I can see that are worn, or are the inside ones also loose?

  3. #3DoyleX2016-12-20 10:34

    Well 28 above feels like summer. My eyelashes aren't freezing together and the inside of my nose isnt freezing. Surprising how much better everything works, man and machine. The outer covers just pried off. The pto side is where I'm getting some rubbing on the outer housing. Flyweight shaft looks tight. I wanted to find some parts availability before I started to tear into it far. Looks like everything is still available. Anything should I look for on the inner bearings besides rubbing or vertical runout?

  4. #4grandpa2016-12-20 19:40

    Looks to me like the outside race is spinning in the housing... please verify? Can you give us a shot from inside?

  5. #5hetkind2016-12-20 20:42

    What holds the outer bearing race/flange in place? I would take the entire bearing assembly, including the big flange to your local bearing supply house and see what they can match up. Hopefully, the shaft hasn't spun on the inner race. I think heat, a big puller and perhaps a hammer might get the inner shaft free. I suspect the big flange gets welded to the housing. Howard

  6. #6ol'stonebreaker2016-12-20 22:12

    The 4 notches in the ring between the inner race and the shaft tells me that it has a tapered sleeve that locks the bearing to the shaft. With a punch and hammer, turn the lock ring counter clockwise 1 turn or so and tap inward. The bearing should then slide off. Mike