couple of questions what do your think of this project, YOUR COMMENTS WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. would like to build a small grizzly screen. planning on a deck slope of 30 degrees. will use electric vibrator to shake grizzly bars, like on a dump truck box but vibrator designed to operate continuous. thinking of the grizzly bars to use, 1 inch round solid bars with 2 or 3 inch spacing between bar edges. bracing under grizzly bars will be located 18 inch from top of deck then another 18 inches and another 18 inches, then one half of the rest of the distance. 1 inch round bars can be purchased in 20 foot lengths so length of deck will be 6 feet 6 inches,that should be long enough for the sand to fall through before reaching the end of the screen deck. Width of deck would be 10 feet my two yard bucket wheel loader is just under 8 feet wide. height will be 9 feet dump clearance at full dump. box frame will be 3 inch square tubing 1/4 thick wall with 3/16 plate on sides. if I want to screen smaller material I could place a wire mesh on top of the grizzly rods. I expect the largest rock that would occasionally be dropped on the grizzly bars would be around 18 inches. May be a 2 foot fall at most. Most rocks would be 12 inches and under, any thing larger then 18 inches I would waste off to the side in the pit. What do you think, what would you do differently. Think it will work and what problems do you see?
I don't think the 1" round will stand up over time. The last one I helped a buddy build was made out of 1"X 4" flat bar stock. with 4" spacing. We made the deck 10ft long, just cut 20ft in half. no waste and gives a longer slide. To keep bars parallel we bored a 1" hole through all the bars in the middle and pushed a solid round bar through and welded it all together. Also cut 2"X2" squares out of the ends so the bars would hook onto the 4"X4" tube frame. Been using it for 3-4 years. no damage yet.
I have down loaded two photos of what I want to build. To enlarge the photos click on the CONTROL button on your key board and using the dial on your mouse rotae the mouse to increase or decrease size of image. What do you think referencing the above co TTACH] mments.
A third photo
One question. When it gets plugged up with crap (and I've never seen one that didn't) how do you plan to clean it off?
I'd just hook it with the bucket, tip it over then stand it back up?
Not trying to rain on your parade but I don't see how a grizzly with screen cloth will work well, even with a vibrator attached. The 1" round bar isn't going to hold up well against 12" rocks as they develop a lot of kinetic energy even falling just two feet. With the vibrator shaking the entire assembly you won't be able to get much stroke out of it without overloading the motor, especially running it continuous. and you'll soon start seeing a lot of cracked welds. With these things I've pointed out I've been there, done it. Mike
I am thinking of adding springs to the top of the deck between the grizzly bars and the frame to shake the top of the screen deck the bottom would not shake unless I built it with springs and also allow it to tip up (the grizzly deck).. At the bottom I pan on putting a hinge with pins from a mini excavator bucket to tip up the grizzly bars to clean off the mesh.
The tipping is a good idea, but with screen cloth you'll have many rocks that are near size fall into a screen opening, get wedged in and only a hammer will free them. I know I'm talking more $$, but why not space the bars at 4" or even 6" and run the material that passes the grizzly over a regular vibrating screen with the size screen you wanted on the grizzly. You could probably sell all the oversize to a crushing & screening outfit if they're nearby. They'd love it to make chips. The undersize from making chips, with near 100% fracture, is excellent to blend with 5/8" asphalt rock. Just giving you some selling points for your oversize. Mike
Hey farmerlund , got any pictures?
Yair . . . . Dunno folks. Others on here have more experience with these things than me but, way back, I remember pulling my hair out trying to make ill built screens work. First off (in our conditions) dwell time on the screen as shown would have been insufficient . . . I used full twenty foot lengths of 3x3 or maybe 4x4 heavy wall box welded diamond wise for the bars @ (I think) forty degrees. I can say for sure and for certain anything at ninety degrees to the material flow tends to cause grief. I would have thought the mesh as shown would be unworkable except perhaps for removing roots and such from sand. Cheers.
Hello Doublewide, I don't have any and the grizzly is in a gravel pit 25 miles from home. Next time I am over by it I will see if I can drive in and get a pic. If the snow isn't to deep.
Forgive me, I haven't read the whole thread. I have a homemade one made of channel. The gaps are 5" apart. There is nothing horizontal to hang up on, yet stuff is constantly hung up. I've seen a similar one sold for a staggering amount of money that has two coarse grids. Every second bar is moveable. They are connected to a bump rail. You can bump it from below to lift the grid to let stone fall through if it gets stuck. Even winter sand screens built to separate frozen chunks from winter road sand have no horizontal bars to catch debris. Willie
I've worked with horizontal vibrating grizzlies and they can even get shot rock stuck in the bars. Mike
Willie I did not receive the photos, do you have them still available, Bob. 03/30/2017
I'll try to figure out how.
I made this out of an old flat bed , 2" spacing with 5/8" rebar hundreds of hours use and no problems with bending with plenty of 18-24" rocks going over it( other than where I hooked the bucket on the top of the bars haven't bothered straightening them yet). When it starts to plug I simply push on the top till the legs are up about a foot and let it drop the jolt generally frees everything up. As far as spacing goes much tighter than 2" and u are getting into real screener territory but if u only have a little bit of material to run and are patient u could get some material thru a screen cloth on top but as I said it will be a tuff go and u will have to rerun a lot of the material to get the fines out also moisture content is a huuuuge deal with grizzlies the drier the better good luck!!!
Just wanted to add that when dumping material on the cutting edge is touching the top or nearly touching so the material slides/rolls down the screen not dropped onto it
Squid, you park right there by the pile, I'll get the 998 to screen a few loads into your bucket! Keep the window closed, it might get loud.
I have a cattleguard on my dirt road. no more cattle where i live. So i am going to take it out and fill hole with dirt. I want to use the cattleguard to make a grizzlyscreen. Any of you done that? two pieces total. I would like to make this usable by a loader in the future as well as my current skiploader. Could any of you fine folks give me an idea of good dimensions i should build to? Also should i build stand out of Ibeam? heavy tubing? rather just ask on this thread than start a new one thanks!!
squidrig thank you for the two photos. one the second photo I notice that you have steel channel covering the rebar in two locations on the deck slope every other bar across the width of the deck at both locations, wondering why you did that. How are the rebar grizzly bars holding up? I like your set up and costed out 3/4 inch rebar, financially the cash spent to build with rebar is much less then 1 inch steel round or 1 x 4 bar. If you were going to build it again what would you do differently?
I made every other rebar removable by welding short lengths of square tube on the frAme and sliding the rebar down thru from the top. When they are removed much larger pieces get thru but it plugs waaay to quick so if I did it again I would have just Welded all the bar in place. The removable bars are the ones that I accidently hook with the bucket at times sononce again welded Would be better. I looked but I don't have anymore pics Of it in use but it is still going strong.
squidring I have located a source for 1 inch rebar which I plan on using, with at the top of the screen cross braces located each 12 inches for the drop zone area, that should help reducing the rebar bending. Noticed in photo you welded the rebar directly on the frame cross bracing bars, I am thinking of welding the rebar on 1/2 inch thick steel bar the width of the cross brace; to elevate it above the cross steel brace 3 inches. My thinking is that would reduce the number of rocks sticking on the screen surface. You have used your grizzly for a while now, on your screen does the rock get stuck where the cross brace and rebar are located, more so then just stuck between the rebars. My plans is to have a slope of 40 degrees what is your screen slope at?
If u mean to put short vertical pieces of 1/2"x3" the width of the braces , I think that would be a good mod. Mine does catch some in those areas at times but not bad at all. When I use it to get the clunkers out of loam, it's the small roots and such that hang up on the cross pieces more than the stones. As far as the angle goes steeper is better with a non vibrating/ moving grizzly. I think mine is closer to 60 degrees. In the pictures mine is in the carry position with the cutting edge holding it up on some tabs that were already on the truck body (it was a dump body) and the top of the screen just rests against the metal on the cab of the skid steer . When I set it down to use it , it is tipped forward abit more than what the pics show.
Hello squidrig: any more photos of your home made grizzly in action?
my son and i used a cattle guard for one a year ago ...heavy but i drag it around upside down and flip it....works great
As for moisture content of material; I got 12 loads of stuff that wouldn't pass through a vibratory screen (Reed Screen All). The stuff is HEAVY, mostly clay, mixed with a fair amount of blasted ledge. I piled it in a mound & let it drain best I could. It needed a lot of knocking the pile down to loosen it enough to pass through the 5" gaps in my grizzly, but I was able to separate. I find some limit as to what I can use the fines for, but they do grow grass. The rock makes perfect road bed.
Yet another thread I didn't see that would have made my life easier (and cheaper), waa-waaaaa. I like that rebar design. Depending on how my wire decks hold up I may have to augment mine...