Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

liscense questions

Monserandsons ยท 2013-11-02 17:53

I have a74 mack single axle dumptruck and a 9 ton equipment trailer. my heaviest piece of equipment is 13 tons, supposing I get a 15 ton trailer what is the minimum liscensing requirement to move this around legally? I live in ny. the truck used to be a town plow truck.thanks in advance.

Replies11
  1. #1mitch5042013-11-02 18:15

    Even with the trailer you have, you need a class A CDL.

  2. #2Monserandsons2013-11-02 19:01

    Ive had and let the class a permit expire, a driver for a local paving company said I could get the b with a trailer endorsement, apparently this is not true. thankyou.

  3. #3monster762013-11-02 19:57

    My question is why the b what's the point its not that more difficult to get the A

  4. #4denver m farms2013-11-02 20:00

    Here it would be an A.

  5. #5Monserandsons2013-11-02 21:24

    I realize this question should be in the trailer section but instead of starting another thread ill ask here. the trailer is a 91 hurst triple axle with electric brakes 9 ton is there a way to beef this up economically? my fabrication skills wont be a problem as long as there is a legal way of doing this thanks again in advance.

  6. #6mitch5042013-11-03 00:36

    You would have to change axles.

  7. #7Aliate2013-11-03 01:23

    What your friends were talking about is a class a restricted which just mean you took your road test in a dump truck and tag trailer, which means you cannot drive anything with a fifth wheel like a tractor trailer. With that size truck there is not a way to get around having a cdl, anything you tow, will ultimately result in you exceeding 26001 gvcw (combined weight rating)

  8. #8ValleyFirewood2013-11-03 01:43

    On a farm? Stick farm tags on it and don't need the CDL. Here farm tags are about $30 a year. Commercial plates about $300 yr (depends on weight)

  9. #9CM19952013-11-03 08:51

    In every state that would be at min. a Class A. The Feds mandate the minimum rules States must go by but the States themselves can make their laws more restricted.

  10. #10Greg2013-11-03 10:38

    Hey there Valley Firewood, Get caught here with farm tags on a truck being used for anything but agriculture you are going to be in a heap of dodo. It will cost you whole lot more when it is over and done with then if you licensed it right. I know a guy got nailed here with a pickup with farm plates on it when his wife got stopped following his lowboy. He had the excavator on the lowboy and she had the fuel tank and extra bucket for excavator. Was not pretty.

  11. #11mitch5042013-11-03 12:27

    I've run farm tags on at least some of my trucks for 18 yrs. When I was in the trucking business I didn't run them on my line haul trucks that had full time drivers assigned, but I ran them on my lowboy truck that I drove myself occasionally, my spreader trucks, (which had full time drivers, and would have been legal if only spreading fertilizer for other farmers, but I sold fertilizer), my tandem dump that was mostly a site truck, and others through the years. For years the ticket was $1000, but I saved nearly twice that much a year per truck in tags and taxes. Now the fines only $100. :beatsme The few times I got stopped, I just put the question back to them to prove I wasn't doing it for the farm. If I was hauling my own equipment, they'd have to prove I wasn't using it on the farm, and if I hauled somebody else's equipment, I was just returning it or borrowing it for the farm, the same with pipe, lumber, or most anything. It would have been hard for them to prove different, as I was always prepared to let them follow me to a farm and park. In SC, farm tags require a class E or F liscense, as does a motor home or hobby vehicle over 26k. The test is the same except if you take the test in a motor home and trailer you get to drop the trailer to back up. :beatsme You have to have a medical card to get an E or F, but you don't have to maintain it. Since an E (single unit) or F (combination) is not a CDL, you are exempt from a lot of minor regulations.