Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Little dump

Sberry · 2025-05-11 20:58

My cousin in-law bought and brought this gem. The body isn't as bad as it looks. The rust is in sheets and going to fix some minor steel, scale and roll and brush some black on. I thought about painting the van but might skip that for now. Needs some brake lines and exhaust pipe welded so far and the shifter is hard but only drove it about 50 ft so far

Replies25
  1. #1cuttin edge2025-05-11 21:04

    At least it has running boards. Some of the f550s at work are so high, my short *** needs a boost to get in

  2. #2CM19952025-05-11 21:10

    When I read the title of the thread, I have to admit I was a little scared clicking on it..

  3. #3Sberry2025-05-11 21:43

    With bed and wheels painted it wouldn't look so ruff. At first it looked like the sheet might have been perforated but surprisingly not full of holes

  4. #4Wastepro2025-05-12 05:22

    What kind of motor is in there? looks like around 93' model.

  5. #5HarleyHappy2025-05-12 07:59

    Looks pretty good for what it is. I always loved having a small dump truck as they are so versatile and pretty easy to take care of. Not to mention, when they break, it’s not usually thousands of dollars. Put some side boards on there and it will haul 4 tons easy, just slow. lol

  6. #6Vetech632025-05-12 08:07
  7. #7Sberry2025-05-12 08:21

    I think its a 98. I am not sure about much yet as it was dunped in the yard earlier when I was busy. Pulled it upo and handed the MIL a scraper and told her to have at it. I hate that color but with black bed it prolly wont stick out as bad. I am going to look before I fix anything doesnt need fixin to work. Had a salt spreader in it, most of that damage was to the box and that came off in sheets. I am going to see if I can doctor the appearance some, fix any lights. I havnt use some stuff called frame paint, this is not worth a hi end reman job and the steel will be a little ruff. Whats an economical black coating?

  8. #8Sberry2025-05-12 08:23

    What color wheels?

  9. #9HarleyHappy2025-05-12 09:21

    I use a product called Rust Converter by the gallon from Amazon. It turns black when it hits rust. I use a junk spray bottle and spray whole frame and then wash off, with a hose and then use cheap black spray paint. POR-15 is the best stuff but I will not pay the price. My brother and I are coming up with a way to spray our frames and beds every year with that black wool wax. Thinking about using some guardrail sections we have for a drive on ramp, to spray under as neither one of us has a lift at the moment.

  10. #10HarleyHappy2025-05-12 09:22

    I would go grey on the wheels. I have been buying the tall cans of Rustoleum from Ben Franklin that’s a primer and paint for 6 bucks a can.

  11. #11MarcusZ19672025-05-12 14:29

    Why only 5 nuts on both front wheels??!?!

  12. #12crane operator2025-05-12 17:02

    Have you priced parts lately? Who's got money for all the lugs?

  13. #13MarcusZ19672025-05-12 17:04

    Well said...... well, something.......

  14. #14Sberry2025-05-12 18:53

    I was going to look at that. I was washing and spotted it. I have it up now. Going to fix exhaust leak. I see some drips but haven't looked much yet. I see sway link bush failed. Steering might be tight.

  15. #15Sberry2025-05-12 18:58

    I might have grey. It needs brake line work and I see some tranny lines in the front seat, maybe power steering. I was busy with other stuff.

  16. #16Sberry2025-05-12 19:01

    I guess it has 454 engine.

  17. #17MG842025-05-12 19:05

    Probably came that way from the factory, I've seen numerous 1.25-1.5 ton trucks like that. They use a heavier 10 lug rear axle and lighter 5 lug front axle, that way the wheels are universal. I had a '72 GMC C5500 setup that way.

  18. #18mowingman2025-05-12 20:02

    I had a 93 Chevy, 11/2 ton like that, only mine had been a wrecker. Boy, it was a rough riding rig, even after I installed a custom built flatbed and tool boxes on it. It was great for towing my trailer, and rode a lot better with the loaded trailer hooked up. Mine had the 6.5 GM turbo diesel in it, and was std. trans. I was really lucky with that whole truck/engine combo. The mechanic who owned it had sort of "bullet proofed" the engine, so, I never had any trouble with it when I had it. you can see the 5 lug front wheels.

  19. #19CM19952025-05-12 20:11

    That's back in the day when the wreckers went to the custom shop for all the plastic fender flares and color keyed running boards.

  20. #20mowingman2025-05-12 20:26

    You are correct. I had the fanciest looking mowing rig in town. The colors do not show too well in this photo, but it had 3 shades of red/maroon, on the white base. It had 165,000 miles when I bought it, and a little over 200,000 when I sold it. Always kind of wondered how long it lasted and where it finally ended up.

  21. #21Wastepro2025-05-13 06:48

    Trucks should be white. Beds need to be black. And wheels are supposed to be grey.

  22. #22Sberry2025-05-13 17:36

    I am a white truck guy too. Spray can of appliance white should be a match. I really dont want to take time out now to do the cab but that orange is hidious and I aint much about being real stylish. This body style doesnt look aged or obsolete and with paint no one would guess the age if they were not real savvy. That orange screams old truck.

  23. #23mowingman2025-05-13 19:38

    The orange looks a lot like a color called "Omaha Orange". That was the official corporate color for all of the pickups, mixer trucks, and truck tractors owned by the company I worked for in the 80's. It really looked pretty good on the trucks back then. After I moved on, they changed over to blue and white, which I thought was ugly as soon as it faded and got dirty.

  24. #24BC Placer gold2025-05-13 20:10

    Well said!

  25. #25Truck Shop2025-05-14 03:23

    With a raft of different magnetic signs behind the seat. Officer-what color was the truck and did you see a name on the door? Known as the run and hide change sign to a competitor.