Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

bought two trucks without titles

Andyinchville ยท 2025-05-11 14:36

Hi All Just yesterday I bought two trucks without titles I guess my original plan was to maybe pirate some stuff off of these trucks to make my truck good but after a thinking more about it maybe I should just use or I could just use the trucks as they are. So a couple of questions that I have is: 1) how would you go about getting a title ? I live in Virginia but I don't mind titling it out of state or something if that makes it easier to get a title for it ... Matter of fact I have seen ads on Facebook marketplace or I should say in Facebook in general where some people claim Montana is a very easy place to set up an LLC to get titles for vehicles that may not already have titles and there might be some other benefits to like no inspections and cheap property taxes Etc so I'm thinking about even that potential avenue unless somebody can come up with something for Virginia that might be better to do here? ... Or also has anybody done that idea and it seem to be pretty good? (When I say that idea I mean set up an LLC in a different state and get all the benefits from there it seems Montana is big for that or at least that's what the ads on Facebook say). 2) the two trucks that I bought were GMC from the early '80s ... One is a flatbed dump with a 16 ft body on it and the other one is a regular dump truck with a 10 ft dump on it I think I didn't actually measure that one ... Anyways not being an expert on transportation .... Do you think these two trucks could fit onto one regular tractor-trailer lowboy for transport? I thought about trying to drive them back ... Both trucks actually fired up and ran and the tires don't look bad on them .... The flatbed has hydraulic brakes four-wheel discs all around single axle but I'm not sure how strong the brakes are it felt like they were a little soft to nonexistent in a little bit of rocking around I did moving the truck back and forth and seeing if the brakes even did stop the truck The regular dump bed truck has air brakes it fired up okay when we put a battery on but the oil light stayed on so we didn't run it very long .... It didn't have any knocks or smoke or anything bad so maybe just a bad light? As far as brakes the flatbed has hydraulic brakes with discs all around and it felt like they were a little weak but I didn't really drive it around I just rocked it back and forth and went to see if the brakes could in fact stop the truck but I'm not sure that it did because it went back into the hole without stopping (the hole was where the truck had been sitting for a while and it formed a low spot but I couldn't stop the truck with the brakes on there before it went back into the hole so I'm assuming the brakes are kind of on the weak side or non-existent). The other option I have for transport is me buying a big gooseneck trailer and moving them one at a time myself ... I have an international 1954 single axle truck that I bought that the previous owner put a gooseneck hitch on it I just don't happen to own a big gooseneck trailer yet Just curious but if I tried to go the route of moving it myself ... And not having any experience in moving something as heavy as a medium duty dump truck ... How do you think the truck would act in terms of with all that weight in the back? And it sounds like kind of a stupid question but I have driven heavy things before because I did lawn care and landscaping for many years but back then I was hauling with a regular 3/4 ton pickup truck on a landscape type trailer ... I'm thinking the weight ratios are about the same meaning my pickup truck probably weighed 7,000 lb and maybe the most I ever towed with it was about 10,000 pounds I'm not sure of the weight of my medium duty international as a tow vehicle versus the haldweight but the ratios seem similar so would they behave similarly as far as towing ability and feel? Also interestingly enough I read a lot of posts here on the forum about conserving your brakes Etc but if this truck has a GVWR of 32,000 lb what I still be relatively safe moving everything myself in terms of not overheating brakes etc? I guess the trailer I buy might be weighing 4,000 lb if I get a 20K GVWR trailer? And I can't imagine these trucks being single axle dumps and all with way much more than 13 or so thousand pounds especially since they're non GVWR so I imagine the weight ratios of tow vehicle versus towed vehicle might be about the same as me towing my pickup truck a heavy load? Any other ideas for getting the trucks moved? Thanks

Replies5
  1. #1cfherrman2025-05-11 21:11

    Search lost title in your state If they have trailer hitches do the ass to ass method where you use a pintle hitch, and extension, and a tow ring to tow the truck, safe and legal, and way better than a trailer. On the pic my rear leafs were backed out and it cleared just fine, the new set I put in helped out a lot the next time I did this with a excursion

  2. #2Andyinchville2025-05-23 22:40

    Wow that is pure genius !! Thanks

  3. #3Old Doug2025-05-24 08:44

    I wish it was clearer on getting a title in MO. I have heared a lot of talk about getting one but i dont know if anyone has ever got one.

  4. #4cfherrman2025-05-24 09:52

    Pole barn garage on you tube lives near KC MO and has done lost title a few times I believe

  5. #5IceHole2025-05-24 16:58

    Tow truck isn't that expensive unless you're hauling them far.