Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Little Hydrostatic Drive Dozer

Tones ยท 2023-05-02 00:40

Who was the the manufacturer of a small dozer in the USA? It's similar to look at to a Rayco C130/c140. From memory the target market was small rural property owners and small logging contractors. A conversation has come up about them and it's annoying the s*^t out me that I can't remember who made them.

Replies31
  1. #11693TA2023-05-02 07:28

    How small? I've seen some quite little by AC but by full scale production, a D2 is quite small.

  2. #2OzDozer2023-05-02 07:54

    Struck Magnatrac?

  3. #3Tones2023-05-02 08:40

    Looks like this Had a different limb rasier and the engine compartment hadn't been widened. Came with a PAT blade with rear options of logging winch, recovery winch or rippers

  4. #4CM19952023-05-02 08:48

    Rayco made a machine like that where you could get a dozer blade or loader arms like a skid steer. Winches were available as well. 2005 Rayco C87d Bulldozer With Forestry Package 2005 Rayco C87d Bulldozer With Forestry Package Photos and info - TwentyWheels twentywheels.com That's the only one I remember.

  5. #5OzDozer2023-05-02 08:56

    The only crawler I know of, that had a forward mounted cab was the Eimco. But they weren't small, they didn't have a PAT blade, and they weren't hydrostatic. What era are we talking? - recent, moderately antique, or really antique?

  6. #6mowingman2023-05-02 10:11

    This is a Rayco. They are/were available fitted with the forestry mulcher, as shown. Also available with dozer blade, or a stump grinder. Several sizes of the "crawler" have been available, plus, they also made them for Fecon, but painted them red. I ran a C100 for a few months, and their red Fecon 148 for several years. I always thought of them as a "large tracked skid steer". Rayco has been bought out by one of the other forestry equipment manufacturers, but they still make these mulchers/crawlers I believe. Many of the original crawler series were equipped with Deutz engines, and these did not do well. Air flow was a problem with them. Many were repowered with Kubota engines. The 148 had a JD diesel in it.

  7. #7Tones2023-05-02 15:44

    @mowingman I understand all of that,I owned the 3rd c140 in Australia but before Rayco ever built them there was another manufacturer who made a dozer that looked very similar. Even the blade that Rayco sold as an option looked the some. Who was that manufacturer?

  8. #8mowingman2023-05-02 15:50

    As mentioned above, I bet you are thinking of the old Eimco dozer with the front-type seating. Jeff

  9. #9Tones2023-05-02 15:58
  10. #10Tones2023-05-02 16:04

    Well bugger me this popped up on another forum. You'll note there is only one top track roller, track frame is shorter and the engine compartment hasn't been widened but everything else is near the same even the way the winch attaches. Still no manufacturers name though

  11. #11mowingman2023-05-02 17:55

    I am still 99.9% positive that is an older Rayco. They started building those crawlers back in the late 70's or early 80's I think.

  12. #12CM19952023-05-02 18:45

    I think it's a Rayco as well.

  13. #13mowingman2023-05-02 19:09

    Yes it is. The little crawler /mulcher machines they made, as late as the early 2000's were full of engineering problems and problematic at best. The ones they built for Fecon were terrible too. We had a Rayo/Fecon 148 leased from 2007-2010. The rental company had to keep one mechanic on call just for our Fecon repairs. They had a second Fecon/Rayco that they would swap out from time to time. Both were plagued with warranty issues. I am so glad we decided to rent instead of purchase. Maintaining these little Rayco/Fecons would have bankrupted us. A couple of years later we had one of the bigger Fecons, seems like it was close to 400HP. I don't know who built iit, but it was a dependable machine. Then, we rented a Rayco 100HP mulcher. It was down constantly too. Rayco had some real problems with those track machines. I find it no surprise that they finally sold out to a larger company. I bet warranty on their crawler/mulchers killed them. Jeff

  14. #14Tones2023-05-02 19:56

    @ Jeff, Rayco never honoured any warranties which lead to a falling out with Fecon who was left holding the baby. I had been contacted by Rayco owners in the States who had lost their shirts wanting me to join a class action.I couldn't because of jurisdiction problems. In a conversation I had with John Bowling I asked when they were shifting their manufacturing to China. After some spluttering he asked why they would do that. I replied, so you can some quality in your product. At that time there wasn't any dealer support so I had nothing to lose.

  15. #15mowingman2023-05-02 20:59

    And now we know the "rest of the story". Jeff

  16. #161693TA2023-05-02 22:11

    I came pretty close to purchasing one of these several years back when building my shop. Seemed like a good unit and very good visibility. No product support local was the reason I didn't go with it. I liked the cab forward design a lot and I've not seen another like it around here.

  17. #17jim-in-so-ore2023-05-03 23:35

    I think that you are looking at a Sutter. They are built in Moundhouse Nevada. I have no pictures but our Dirtbike club has one for trail maintenance and construction.It is 4 feet wide has rippers on the back and a sixway blade. We have a sheeps foot roller on ours. Handy as a pocket on a shirt. Jim

  18. #18Tones2023-05-03 23:40

    Yes that is it. Thanks Jim I can rest easy now.

  19. #19mowingman2023-05-04 08:40

    Would love to see a photograph on a Sutter.

  20. #20CM19952023-05-04 09:31

    They still make them. Sutter 500 - Sutter Equipment www.sutterequipment.com

  21. #21Tones2023-05-04 13:13
  22. #22Acoals2023-05-04 16:43

    Cute little thing . . . looks like it would be awesome for making trails and that's about it. Watching the video of them cutting a trail out of that hillside I can see why having the weight to the back would be helpful as well.

  23. #23mowingman2023-05-04 17:18

    I bet it would be difficult to learn fine grading on that little short-coupled machine.

  24. #24CM19952023-05-04 19:31

    Well I can say one thing - that operator isn't paying the UC bill.

  25. #25jim-in-so-ore2023-05-04 23:41

    More information @ www.sutterequipment.com . specs and what other equipment is available. Jim

  26. #26Tones2023-05-05 00:56

    That's what happens when a salesman thinks he's an operator

  27. #27Bumpsteer2023-05-05 00:58

    The trouble I could get into with one of those..... Ed

  28. #28OzDozer2023-05-05 00:59

    Looks like a boy doing a man's job, sidecutting trails in that steep rocky country.

  29. #29CM19952023-05-05 09:39

    HA. More like a gov't employee..

  30. #30Mcrafty12023-05-06 04:42

    Cute, one of the 'what to get for the contractor that has everything' gifts. I didn't see a price on the brochure, I'm guessing $60 to $70,000? I don't see myself buying one but it would be great to see one up close and personal.

  31. #31OzDozer2023-05-06 07:02

    Mcrafty1, you're a little short on the numbers - here's a used one, 2013 model and 525hrs, and they were looking for $70K for it! I believe this is the same one on FB, it sold several years ago. Used SUTTER 500 for Sale on UsedMachineryFinder.com www.usedmachineryfinder.com Log into Facebook Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know. www.facebook.com