Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Loader overheating

Mmconstruction ยท 2015-01-04 18:00

I have a liugong 842 loader. It's similar to a cat 938g. Has a cummins. Started overheating and I traced it to a coolant leak under radiator tray. Pulled radiator and confirmed there is a leak at the bottom of the radiator after putting 10 lb air test on it. Machine is a 2010. Has 3,800 hrs. Obviously the warranty is 3 year/4,000 hrs so I doubt I can get a free replacement. Has anyone seen radiators go this new before? Am I better off taking to radiator shop to repair or buy a new one for $1k? It seems like the leak is about 4 inches wide horizontally at the bottom. I don't know how the coils are constructed. Also now concerned that the hydraulic and tranny coolers may go soon if I don't replace them. What a project to pull the radiator. Don't want to do that again.

Replies4
  1. #1clintm2015-01-04 18:29

    in my experience with liugong you would be a hole lot better off with your local radiator shop even if they had to build you one from scratch. the new one you would get from them would most likely be worst than what you all ready have. if I do remember correctly there was something said about they put the wrong hyd fan motor on some machines ( too low operating pressure)and they would start slowing down over time (fan blade RPM'S)and the machine would start running hot you might what to check into this . they seem to just bolt on what parts they can get when machines come down the assembly line right or wrong

  2. #2Criso2015-01-04 21:26

    I don't have a answer to your question but was wondering how long you owned it for and if it's been a good machine and what you think of it so far?

  3. #3Shimmy12015-01-04 21:47

    You have the cap off, just drive another one under it. Probably find someone that will give you theirs for a case of beer.

  4. #4WhyWhyZed2015-01-05 12:42

    sure. doubt it's warranty. Most brands don't cover the rad under powertrain warr. A defective thermostat can occasionally put extra stress on a radiator. Pulses of super hot coolant from a reluctant stat can cause solder joints to have to flex more than intended.