I’m looking to purchase a track loader to assist in a couple clearing and rip rap jobs I have this season, I’ve run Cat 963’s and 977’s in the past however all the 963’s I’ve found are twice the money as other machines I’ve found. Does anyone have any input on Komatsu 75’s or JD 855’s? I realize these are larger machines but that’s a good thing for my needs, I’m a big fan of Komatsu dozer’s so that would most likely be my preference but any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Welcome to the HEF! Buying a new piece of yellow iron is always exciting. My guy, Cody, just went through the same decision process and selected Komatsu.
JD855's have a lot of power but are very expensive to repair(hydrostatic) and I doubt there's very good parts support for them anymore. Not even sure if there's very many mechanics around that know how to work on them. My former neighbor had some he used for demolition but that was quite a few years ago. I think a Komatsu track loader would be in the same boat as far as parts support and people experienced in working on them. That's part of the reason 963's are more money. They're better supported and newer.
I stay away from the older Deeres because they tend to blow hydraulic lines on the drive motors. They are a very hard pushing machine but I always considered myself lucky to get a week out of one without something happening. I'm also looking for a hy-lift I'm going to stay away from the Cat C series because of the electronics. I have found two 953 that are within my budget one for 23,000 and one for 32,000 both are good and straight. I like the 963 but for me it means a lot more fuel for a days work. A good 953 will push a ton of dirt.
953's are good but the turbo 3204 engines typically don't last as long as say a 3304. 953's are known for more frequent engine rebuilds.
a d75 is a hoss it is heavy but a good machine
Thanks for all your replies and info, I’ll let you know how it works out