Good evening folks. I'm the new owner of a 1983 John Deere 450C. 4500 hours. I bought the unit out of edmonton and I'm having it shipped home as I write this. Unit was inspected by a local heavy duty mechanic and he gave it a clean bill of health. Wondering what specifics I should be looking for, maintenance wise that are easily missed with an inspection and are prone to be a problem. Also wondering what engine oil to run for winter and summer use. As well as hydraulic oil recommendation. Does everyone run same oil between drive units and transmission? Also wondering on alternator upgrade as I'm planning to run some better lighting and even closing in the cab and running a heater.
There's probably a lot of info if you use the search function on the forum. It's the magnifying glass in the upper right corner. Just put John Deere 450C in the subject line. I seem to recall you need to check the bolts are tight that connect the track frames together or to machine at the back. Might be some things to check with the trans. too. Congrats on your new loader.
Would strongly suggest you get an operator's, parts and maintenance manuals. Look on Ebay. Do you have the backhoe attachment, rippers or other attachments? Congrats and welcome to the fold.
If you need an operator manual , the Deere bookstore has an option to download a free copy of the 450C loader Operators manual . John Deere - Technical Information Bookstore Welcome to John Deere C&F Technical Information Bookstore. This site contains operating, maintenance, and service information. www.johndeeretechinfo.com
No attachments. I've got the operators and maintenance manual. Still need to track down a parts manual.
I realize some people like paper parts books . But check out Deere parts site https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/search . You can create a pick list and email it….I find it handy.