Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Loader with a backhoe

cuttin edge · 2020-02-27 15:05

A recent post about a Hough loader has sparked my memory. I remember a motel here that had an old Hough or Payloader. The smaller model with the rear steering. It had a backhoe on the back. Was that an option at one time, or would that have been a homemade setup. I was only young, and never got a close look. Not sure if it was run from the cab, or if it was like those ones you see on farm tractors.

Replies16
  1. #1Welder Dave2020-02-27 15:45

    JD and I think others offered backhoes for wheel loaders. Not real common but available.

  2. #2Buckethead2020-02-29 09:24

    I never ran one, the ones I saw had a separate seat for the backhoe.

  3. #3JPV2020-02-29 11:19

    I remember our old neighbor had a nice Case 450 size track loader that had a backhoe from the factory, that was a neat rig. I have never seen another one. I have seen pictures of John Deere track loaders with backhoes. I have never seen a wheel loader with a backhoe but could see where it could work pretty good for certain things.

  4. #4Welder Dave2020-02-29 12:57

    Here's a JD brochure. https://www.deere.com/assets/pdfs/common/products/wheel-loaders/wheel-loader-9305-backhoe.pdf

  5. #5JPV2020-02-29 13:28

    That is awesome, new one to me! Looks like a heck of a backhoe, if you had 2 operators on the same page you could really dig a ditch.

  6. #6wornout wrench2020-02-29 13:31

    I think it was about 1971, we were living in a logging camp. They had a Cat 966C with a backhoe on the back. At the time they were still building roads with American Shovels, hydraulic backhoes had not made it into the main stream logging yet. It was a funny looking thing to be sure and if I remember correctly its main use was for replacing culverts.

  7. #7RZucker2020-02-29 14:22

    Knew of a guy back in the 70's that had a rear steer Case W-7 (?) with a backhoe on the rear that did exactly that, had a helper in the seat to move the machine when he was trenching. He could really cover ground that way.

  8. #8Bls repair2020-03-05 14:51

    Just something I came across on Craig’s list

  9. #9Welder Dave2020-03-05 15:13

    Hoes were pretty common on track loaders.

  10. #10JD955SC2020-03-05 20:50

    I have run a John Deere 555 track loader with a backhoe (pile of junk) and Dad told me he ran a real old JD one and tore every hose out of the machine digging out an old garbage dump when putting a bridge in I had never heard of wheel loaders with backhoes before though very interesting

  11. #11old-iron-habit2020-03-06 23:40

    Here is an old International one.

  12. #12spitzair2020-03-07 12:07

    I found one a few years ago! Don't know anything about it but I'm sure it's still up and running. Lots of old treasures in this area.

  13. #13spitzair2020-03-07 12:08

    Couple more...

  14. #14cuttin edge2020-03-07 12:20

    I've always wanted to go to BC. Looks like nice country. I have friends in Vancouver, but I would like to see the interior.

  15. #15old-iron-habit2020-03-07 18:14

    The loader hoist linkage on them old Trojans have always caught my eye. It seems they would tear out to that pivot area at the floor off the cab area. Maybe they were underpowered enough to save themselves.

  16. #16Tags2020-03-08 11:44

    It always seemed to me a backhoe oe on a wheel loader with a center pivot wouldn’t be the best, due to the stress it would put on the center pivot, plus having to sit over the radiator must’ve been a real treat, much less having to move ahead by climbing down off the hoe, then up into the cab, move ahead, climb down and back up to the hoe, only to have realized you didn’t pull ahead far enough or pulled ahead too much. Have lots of experience with the Kubota 520 wheel loader with a side shift hoe on the back, the center pivot and oscillating joint take a beating, but it does have a swivel seat...