Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Loading skid steer on rollback

winky ยท 2010-10-26 10:08

Deere dealer came to pick up my deere 250 skid steer today and almost lost it off the side of rollback. When he shut it down to get out it slid and almost went off the side. After that scare he winched it up with me in it steering. He said not to worry the cable will hold. Later he tells me its a 8000 lbs test cable . Great,:Banghead it weighs over 7000 lbs with weights on rear and without my tail in it. Is a rollback a good way ?

Replies8
  1. #1mitch5042010-10-26 10:51

    2 things: The smallest rollback winch I have ever seen is 8000 lbs pull, and should have a braking capacity ( what it can hold, but not pull) above that. The cable should have an 8000lb safe working load, 32,000 lb breaking strength. More importantly, The cable and winch are not lifting the loader, just sliding it up a ramp. I would expect the force neccessary to hold the loader on that incline to be less than 1000 lbs.

  2. #2Dwan Hall2010-10-26 19:58

    I do not think using a rollback is safe for hauling a skid steer. The reason is if you drive it on you have to get out of the SS with it on an slope before you can pull the bed back on the truck. You are not suppose to tow/winch or move a SS unless it has a hydraulic by pass or you could cause damage to the hydrostatic system. It is a good way to haul it if there are 2 of you. 1 to run the SS and the other to run the bed on the RB. Same goes for most any equipment not meant to be towed. Rollbacks aren't meant to have there load driven on but winched on. If you find this information not to your liking sorry but just seems the safe way to do it to me. Dwan

  3. #3nickbowers2010-10-27 07:08

    i think a roll back is a tilt tray over here? http://www.rbgtilttray.com/resources/RBG Tilt Tray.jpg?timestamp=1281505965765 or http://www.roadtransport.com/blogs/big-lorry-blog/2010/06/01/Volvo Truck 189.jpg If so i use them all the time to move them and everything else around. I dont think it is dangerous, although a 8000 pound winch is really small, so i guess it is a little truck that doesnt slide? Nick

  4. #4dave esterns2010-10-27 11:44

    i wouldnt be scared to haul on such a truck. i have seen worse... YouTube - How To Load A Skid Steer Without A Ramp

  5. #5nickbowers2010-10-27 17:15

    Hes pretty good

  6. #6buckfever2010-10-27 17:40

    someone should take that show on the road.

  7. #7mitch5042010-10-28 00:32

    Dwan, good point about not winching a not moving skidsteer, I hadn't thought of that, I was just addressing the situation he had experienced. I agree it is not good without 2 people or a remote winch control

  8. #8winky2010-10-28 09:30

    Thanks for the info. Now I hope the dealer did not damage it. I did not know not to winch it but they should have and it was their top driver. I tried finding someone other than a dealer but skid steer mechanics are a rare breed around here