Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Questions about OTT’s

Lil' Puss ยท 2010-10-25 19:30

I know somebody has discussed this topic but I can't find it with site search. My evenly worn tires have approximately 20% tread remaining and I am considering mounting OTT's on them or just getting new tires (new tires are much cheaper). Most of my operating this winter will be in wet glacial till clay with occasional snow use. My questions are: 1) Will new OTT's last as long as new heavy sidewall tires? 2) Would it be acceptable to install new OTT's on my existing tires? Thanks Totally new simple look to the forum, or is it me?

Replies6
  1. #1willie592010-10-25 21:30

    Yes, this topic has been discussed before. Here's one thread, there are others though. The new forum look is temporary. The server was hacked and the wizard is in the process of restoring things to normal.

  2. #2Lil' Puss2010-10-25 23:06

    Thanks. Maybe the search wasn't working for me then.

  3. #3willie592010-10-25 23:57

    No problem. Just trying to help you out. Maybe you should start your own thread with the questions you have and allow other members to respond to those questions.

  4. #4Cretebaby2010-10-26 08:57

    I assume you are asking about rubber tracks?

  5. #5buckfever2010-10-26 20:36

    if your going with steel tracks you may want to buy tires also. With bald or almost bald tires the machine will spin in the tracks when things get muddy. But with new tires and tracks you'll think you have a totaly different machine. If you're looking for rubber tracks totaly disregard previous statement, have no knowledge of those

  6. #6Lil' Puss2010-10-28 18:09

    Thanks guys, I apologize for not getting back sooner. Yes, rubber tracks. I believe some rubber tracks have something like an inside tread profile to match the tire. I would be leaving these tracks on all the time, I think.