New here. Been operating big rigs for awhile now and work for brokers moving goods/etc. Just got an equipment trailer and going to start moving some equipment around. Just trying to find out a base to charge for pricing for local runs. Will be hauling around 20ton machines. Most things I keep reading is that for local runs people charge about $150-$175 an hour. Does this sound about right? Do you charge mileage as well or only do mileage for long hauls. Any advice would be great. My rig is a pete 378 with a cat 3406e heavy spec truck. Thanks in advance.
A truck capable of moving a 20 to goes for 100 to 110 an hour it can go up from there but guys are regularly getting 30 ton machines moved for under 140 an hour once you get to a jeep setup things change drastically
I move a few things around locally. Usually less than 100 miles one way. 378 with a 35t detachable. I charge around 150-175 from the time I leave my yard till I get home. short hauls a guy spends to much time chaining up and un chaining.
So doing a local run, would you base it on the weight? Such as if your moving a 10 ton machine vs a 20 ton machine? I quoted a guy the other day $125 an hour and it was just a 10 ton machine.
I go off of time. Same rate for everything. your running costs are mostly the same weather its 5 tons or 25tons. if you get into oversized with permits than the price goes up. I haven't done any oversize for hire.
a few years ago I sold my truck and began contracting all of my hauling . I usually pay $125 per hour with a 4 hour minimum.