Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Location and operation of L180 Service/Run Switch

Mikeysp ยท 2019-06-15 19:59

Hi. I have an 06/07 New Holland L180 Skid Steer. I was operating it for a half hour and putting along and it lurched to a deadstop and engine was dead. I thought maybe my bottom came off the seat switch, so I unbuckled, hopped up/down and starte dit. Ran for a few minutes or so. Repeat. I started it again same way and it ran for a few seconds. I think as soon as I pushed the hydraulic operable switch it died. Would not start again. I decided to bypass my seat and seatbelt switch to see if it would allow me to get my yard work done for today, but nothing. I got online and lots of folks mention a service mode, and in my service manual I found reference to a service/run switch several times, but no image or instruction on operation. A little help Thank you. -Mike

Replies5
  1. #1Zewnten2019-06-15 22:40

    Trying to remember if the hydraulic enable is also the parking brake release. If it is, these had a tendency to lock up the parking brakes. Could be your problem, sorry I can't tell you where your switch is.

  2. #2tool_king2019-06-16 20:11

    Look right were you fuse panel is on the right side in the roof of the cab .It will be a toggle switch .

  3. #3cooper constco2019-09-06 22:01

    Dont Know if you figured this issue out or not but a faulty system ground can do just that. It looses groung locks the brakes kills the engine and tries to toss you in the bucket. Check battery grounds too

  4. #4JDWY2019-09-08 11:19

    Not much help, but I've got a 2010 L185 New Holland and when I asked a full time New Holland mechanic (who knows his stuff) on the Skid Steer Forum he said mine did not have the service mode although I think it's mentioned in my owner's manual also.

  5. #5Mikeysp2019-09-08 20:50

    I applied 12V from the battery through a 10amp fuse to the red line on my injector pump. It is akin to running a generator into a house outlet and backfeeds electricity to the rest of the system. It starts right up now. We are going to rewire the machine a little more intelligently when I get a chance. The engine in this machine is really nice, the elec wiring that NH put in it...? I know it is 13 yeats old, but in had barely a 1000 hrs on it. Anyways, it is running great until I can rewire it.