Does anyone know of a way to unlock a nut that holds the piston to the end of a cyl rod? I just messed up the threads on a main boom cylinder of a 608S fellerbuncher. There was no allen srews or anything to loosen. As I turned off the nut with the one inch gun it messed up the threads that looked beautiful before that. Thanks
Did they use Lock Tite on the threads? You might try a little heat on the nut, no need to get it red hot though.
I don't think there was any lock-tite on. It went easy at first and then got real hard and messed the threads up right where the lock part of the nut was. Some lock nuts are like plastic inside this was metal all the way. I should have took a picture maybe but I'm not sure how to get them on this forum. I can email pictures fine but not sure how to get them on here. THanks Atco.
Oh, it was a steel (not nylon) self locking nut, you have to take those slow. If you spin them fast with an impact or such, the speed of turning the nut creates friction and heat that will gall the threads. Sorry to hear it messed up threads.
Wow thanks for the tip Atco I'm gonna use a ratchet the next time. I guess a good mechanic is priceless
Yeah, ratcheting that nut on and off is a pain, impact is tempting, but if it's a steel self locking nut, better take it slow. Same goes with stainless steel bolts and nuts, speed and friction will gall the threads on them quicker than you can say good googa moogus.
Those can be a pain. I ran into the same thing Saturday, except on the external end of the ram. It had an all metal self locking nut AND red Loctite. I used a 3/4" drive hand ratchet and probably would have rounded off the nut had I not realized it had Loctite on it. I then applied some heat and it came right off. It still sharpened the threads a tad, even using the hand ratchet, but not too bad.
I snapped a few pics of my cylinder encounter.....if anyone cares. Sorry for the foggy pictures....it was unbelievably humid Saturday and my camera lens kept fogging up.
I still use my impact on applications like yours. You can loosen it a little at a time and/or reduce your air pressure to around 30 to 50 P.S.I. That should reduce the friction heat enough to prevent gaulding.
Id try and find a thread chase that size?? not sure if clark lifts are metric ur not. Id grab a new nut well I was at it to