Over the last few weekends (and the odd weekday) I finally got the front tires on my '49 Cat 112 swapped out. After studying the manual and picking brains on various web boards I felt confident that I could do the job. Here's what the old tires looked like!
Breaking down the rims and tires was easy, they were already shredded. I had this rim media blasted, then I primed and painted it before installing the replacment tire and tube. The tires are 38X7 (24) from an antique fire truck, they're used....ancient actually but they'll do for now. 7.50-24 10 ply's are $450+ if you can find 'em. These were $100 for both. This is the left side.
The right side was a bit harder.....it has a solid lock ring . it popped off fairly easy, I placed the prybar in the notch after lining the gaps up, gently nudged it with the loader bucket on my Farmall and off it came. Hit the ring grooves with a wire wheel and installed the other tire and tube. Putting the lock ring back on went easier than I expected. Gently prying down with the crowbar while whacking it with a rubber mallet and it "walked on" real easy. I made double sure the ring was seated before airing it up. My "tire cage" was between my garage and the sea-van, I stood inside the van so if there was a loud noise the only damage to me would be my skivvies
Now for the first time in God knows how long, the 'ol Gal ain't sitting on her knees! Eventually I want to upgrade to 1300-24 fronts. But for now, this will do fine. The rears are next. They're two piece rivited lock rings.
This is all I needed tool wise. Took my time, read the instructions in the manual, took it slow and delibrate and didn't screw anything up (or get hurt).
Nice job, nice house, and nice location!!... :thumbsup Post# 4. Picture # 2. That small mountain peak and ridge line in the background... almost unbelievable! I can show you the same picture... the background scene... taken from right here where I live... amazing! I'll find one, or take one, and post it here in this thread. OCR...
Thanks Our little valley is surrounded by mountains (well....some would call 'em hills with sharp tops ). Nice scenery is a 360 degree view and if you don't like the weather....just wait a few minutes! This is the view from my front porch. It was also the day my grader got delivered.
Just a slightly different perspective, so I might have to take one... these are on my computer. Either of the two peaks, taken from a lower elevation... and basically to the left of your screen... would match up with your #2 picture... I'll try and get a better perspective... without the iron in the way... LOL OCR...
If the hill to the left of your screen, in my two pictures, didn't block the view... you would see almost the same, as in your front porch picture, minus the truck and grader, of course... LOL OCR...
Tires Hello 66gg1tnc, Are your front rims 5" ? Wide that is ? My Cat 212 has 7:50 x 20 's with the same scalloped lock ring. If I remember they were real narrow, like 5 " wide. The rears on the Cat 212 are 10:00 x 24's. 8" wide rims. I researched a lot and found that the 8" wide rims from all the stiff frame Cat graders will interchange. The flanges and lock rings vary, but they all mount the 10:00 x 24,13:00 x 24, 14:00 x24 tube type tires on, to the cast wheels with the studs and clamps. So you will have to buy some used rims from somewhere, to mount 13:00 x 24's for the front. Goodyear also makes a 12:00 x 24 tire. General Gear and Machine from Boise , Idaho, has lot of Grader stuff. Same with Johnson Machinery Riverside , Calif. Try, East Bay Tire of Sacramento and ME Miller Tire from Ohio, for tires also.
Hi Northart Thanks for the info. I knew about Boise Machine (got parts from them in the past)....didn't know about the place in Riverside! Yes, my front rims are 5". I was under the impression that I had to change the whole wheel, not just the rims to run 1300-24's. Just swapping out the rims would make life much easier.....on my wallet to!
Is that both a winch and a ripper on the dozer?
Yes, I installed it... look through this thread. OCR...
Rims and wheels and tires ? Hello 66gg1tnc, Ha, you sure got a difficult handle to remember and type . LOL Well, take one front tire off and try the rear tire rim on it, when your working on the rears, for certainty . Here's some real good tire, rim, wheel web sites for your interest. :usa 1. www.millertire.com 2. www.denmantire.com 3. http://www.tpub.com/content/firetru...10-230-14P-1/css/TM-5-4210-230-14P-1_1059.htm 4. www.hdpsales.com/matchingtires.htm 5. www.mcwhortertire.com 6. www.woldinc.com
Thanks for the links Northart. "66gg1tnc" referrs to my '66 Chrysler Town & Country station wagon....the GG1 part is it's paint code "GG1 Dark Sequoia Green". I'd change my handle on this board to "49cat112" but I don't think I can do that...(moderator?)
Handle ? Wow, that is some handle code ??? LOL Actually looks like some Hearse ! oohh ? LOL Email Steve, I'd think he could do that ! (change handle) Took me all morning and afternoon, to review the links and data to assure accuracy ! Okay I'm slow on the net. Some real good information there in the links I posted, Bookmark them. or print them out. :usa Takes a long time to find real good sources . :drinkup
Nice Wagon there and grader. Can't wait to see the grader up and running.
Tackled the rears today....starting with the left rear. Got the beast up in the air and supported with jack stands and cribbing (stands under the rear frame, cribbing under the drive housing so it now sits level) Got the nuts and clamps off.....rim refused to budge. Gave it a few whacks and it still wouldn't come off. Looks like it was painted on . So I removed the lock ring... And the tire Thusley giving myself some room to work on the rim. Any secrets to getting this sucker off? Or do I dig a hole and put the tire on as it sits....
Nice post, I like lots of pictures. Nice place too, although the desert's not my cup of tea the lack of neighbours is. Try putting some heat to that rim. I'll bet it will pop right off.
We never take the rims off our machines, it is much easier to fit the tyre on the machine, loaders and graders. Rn'R.
I did a test fit of the tire on the rim while it's still on....went on and came off real easy.
Who dat?
Dat me me new Handle...a little more appropriate for this board. Thanks Digger242j
Got the tire on this morning....... Aired up, lock ring nice and solid. Back on the ground... ssssssssssssssssssssssss Aw cr@p, must have pinched the tube somewhere Photos are still in the camera, had to run off to work before I could download 'em. Hopefully it's a small hole and I can patch it
Rim Stuck, Hello 49Cat112, Ha, miracles occur, a nice new handle. LOL If the rim is stuck to the cast wheel, take a sledge hammer to the back side . Beat it evenly around, it is just rust ,and crud sticking. Spray some WD-40 or what ever you have, to loosen it up. Another way is to leave the nuts and clamps loose, and drive the machine making a turn. The scrubbing, in the turn will pop it loose.
I hosed it down with Kroil. I'll give it a few days and try it again. I also have some PB Blaster. It almost looks like somebody slathered some kind of sealant on before mounting it the last time.....black goop has oozed out a few places. Mounting the tire with the rim still on was hard....(a libreral dose of dish soap helped). Getting it back off might be as well
49cat112.....how much you paid for your grader? If isn't too personal off course! I'm curious. Frenchy
$1500 this was at the height of the scrap boom too...she was worth twice that easy to a scrapper. Or so the seller said. He did have a deal cut with a scrapper but they couldn't get the grader up on their trailer to haul off.....then after a change of heart and a fist full of cash waved under his nose by me, well. Now she's in my yard.
Finally got those pics uploaded.... The rear tire is still flat but is supported by cribbing under the drive housing. Hopefully this weekend I can try fixing it. And turning the tire around so it's on the right way!!!
Had some time today so I dismounted the leaky tube and tire....found two holes (looking suspiciously like pinch marks ) Patched them, put some air in the tube and let it sit.....held pressure, no bubbles when I ran the hose over it. Great! Put the whole thing back together. Inflated to 10 PSI, everything seated good. sssssssssssssssss :Banghead Aw crap. Well, at least I'm getting good at mounting the tire on the rim with the rim still on the hub! Only took 30 minutes this time instead of all day. Yes, I put the flap in. I suspect a goat head got in the tire (It's a type of sticker....big sharp pointy's on it....looks like goat horns, my yard is full of 'em)