Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Locking Fuel Cap for CAT D7 17A

Alfred ยท 2014-09-15 09:32

Hello folks. My newly acquired 1956 D7 is now resting on a remote piece of ground in Northern Maine. I would like to be able to lock the fuel cap to prevent fuel from being stolen. Is there a locking cap available for this particular dozer? Thanks!

Replies10
  1. #1AllDodge2014-09-15 10:12

    Tried to look the dozer up on SIS and it's not there, go figure just to old. Here is a pic of the lock on my D3B, now my 955 doesn't have one. It just uses a strap which is bolted on. My main thought is locks are made to keep honest people honest. If a theif has to much trouble getting in many will just destroy your machine. I would suggest getting a pump and pump out as much fuel as you can when your done. The thief can still try, but they won't get much so they probably won't be back as often.

  2. #2lantraxco2014-09-15 12:30

    I've seen at least one case of a dozer with a locking cap and the tank exposed on the back like that... tweaker drilled a hole near the bottom with a cordless drill, bucketed up what they could, let the rest run on the ground. Diesel gone, machine unusable, had to pay the environmental fine and the cleanup, plus repair of the tank. We tapped the metal and screwed in a pipe plug, like the owner said, if we weld it up, they'll just drill another hole next to the first one.

  3. #3chevota842014-09-15 13:53

    If I'm going to leave my 6 or 7 someplace for a while, I back it into a tree. They might still get into it but at least they'll be miserable doing it lol

  4. #4lantraxco2014-09-15 13:58

    One place I worked had a 20 foot ship container they used on jobs for tool and pipe storage, also had a bareback D6D which handily backed up to the doors... go ahead and use those bolt cutters on the locks, lol.

  5. #5Old Magnet2014-09-15 17:19

    Part number for locking cap is 5S8033 or 1S6307. Fits a bunch of the old Cats.

  6. #6Alfred2014-09-15 17:41

    Thank you so much!

  7. #7Old Magnet2014-09-15 20:05

    Probably a good idea to put one on the diesel engine oil fill also part #2S3025

  8. #8Alfred2014-09-15 20:15

    Great, thank you. Great advice. This is all very unnerving to be honest. The fellow that logged my property last winter had his skidder vandalized (in the middle of winter) imagine that.

  9. #9AllDodge2014-09-15 20:33

    No matter what you do, you cannot stop anyone wanting to tear something up just for kicks and giggles

  10. #10chevota842014-09-15 21:15

    At least I can understand what a thief is up to, I've never understood destroying something just to do it.