Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Log Champ LC550, anyone here run one?

Hallback · 2023-07-30 23:38

I know I could Google it on the internet and find a bunch of different videos but I would like to hear from someone that has run one, worked with one or owns one.

Replies9
  1. #1T-MAR2024-02-21 02:02

    Built a few... only have about an hour of seat time though

  2. #2Old Growth2024-02-21 02:11

    I could probably booger it up good for ya in no time at all, lol!

  3. #3Hallback2024-02-21 08:20

    In the time since I made this post, we took a trip down to a friend's operation and saw the 650 in action. It's a mighty fine piece and in my eyes the ultimate yarder of today.

  4. #4Hallback2024-02-21 08:27

    The only drawbacks I see to it after I was quoted a new one by Triad Machinery was pricing, financing and getting the timber companies to pony up the money for it and set up units specifically for it. I knew it was going to be expensive so that's without saying because, what isn't expensive today? Financing. In today's world of 9 and 10% interest that is a killer on something of that much money on a 5-year term. I've heard of some places financing yarders out to 10 or 15 years but I've never seen it nor have I had anybody tell me that they actually go that far on their funding not to mention, who would stretch one out that far? So that leaves you with a payment of close to $60,000 per month. That's a big nut to crack for a yarder in these uncertain times. Timber companies. As we all know and have all seen we can be carte blanche on a tree farm today or for the last few years but as soon as a regime change comes we can be out like yesterday's trash. That's awful concerning and nerve-wracking when you have that much debt over your head. I guess what I'm trying to say is as much as I would really like to put a wet signature on a purchase order from one I just can't justify it at this time. At least not a new one and unfortunately I don't know of any used ones available. There's one in New Zealand that is brand new but it has to get an engine swap to tier four to be able to come to the USA. Looks like I'm stuck running the '071 for the foreseeable future.

  5. #5Plebeian2024-02-22 18:33

    With the Chinese economy having issues there may be a few more NZ yarders with a for sale sign on them. More than 80 percent of NZ log exports go to China. The current exchange rate is nz$1.61 to a greenback. I doubt this used nz 124 would pencil out in the calculations for North American repatriation. There are nz 171, 123? that might justify modernization and re-export. Could be some explaining to do, if an off-track hiker decides to have a sleep under your remote control yarder-anchor machine. ROAM ANCHOR SYSTEM - Apex Equipment - Smart Logging ROAM ANCHOR SYSTEM Remotely operated anchor machine. See product in action www.apexequipment.co.nz

  6. #6Hallback2024-02-22 23:46

    Exchange rate was all the way down to 1.54 two weeks ago. It's done some climbing but it's definitely an option.

  7. #7Plebeian2024-03-28 15:19

    Log export supply from NZ, exceeds demand/ log processing use in China. Market glut, China buyers waiting for log prices to fall. Finance companies' repossession agents sometimes get to load up some old logging equipment if the equipment park up in the forest is extended. Engineering workshops usually try to find other work. March can be the most productive month of the year for NZ loggers, assisted by favourable weather, dryer ground, hours of day light etc. https://www.nzherald.co.nz/the-coun...ling-due-to-weak-post-chinese-new-year-demand (same article as below)march, 2024 https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/country/...ur-knees-by-weak-post-chinese-new-year-demand (original article)march, 2024 quote from article "The forestry consultant said lots of NZ suppliers, harvesters and transport companies were either parked up or in the process of parking up"

  8. #8Hallback2024-03-28 21:24

    Somebody should forward these articles to all the guys in New Zealand that have haulers for sale, it ain't 2017 anymore The prices have dumped by 50 to 65% sometimes a little more

  9. #9BingDeere9092024-11-08 12:08

    I agree, feel like some companies are dreaming wanting the prices they want for gear