Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Log yard equipment pictures

72V ยท 2010-04-13 23:28

One thread I haven't seen yet is one devoted exclusively to log yard equipment. Unfortunately, I don't have any digital pictures handy to show off. How about IH 560's, Wagner stackers, KW-Dart stackers, Letourneau stackers, Cat 988B's, rail and pedestal mounted cranes, other high-decking cranes, sorting loaders and shovels, conveyor systems, Terex 72-71's, Komatsu WA-600's, export yards, on-site mill trucks, reloads, brow logs, etc, etc.

Replies18
  1. #1Contract Logger2010-04-13 23:44

    I was just at Valley Junction and wish I had taken pics of the tower-crane with grapples!

  2. #2Contract Logger2010-04-13 23:49

    OK, I'll bite. Here are some random sort yard shots, very random.

  3. #372V2010-04-14 00:00

    You mean the Coastal Fibre chip mill? They've got a pretty high deck going around right now... it amazes me that it doesn't collapse sometimes.

  4. #4southview2010-04-14 00:46

    How about a few shots from a few months ago from when my dozer boat sank and we riggedupo a gyppo skyline to lift it back from the watery grave....

  5. #5southview2010-04-14 00:49

    And the refloating....

  6. #6jm892010-04-15 16:36

    southview, nice pictures that must have been entertaining.

  7. #772V2010-05-09 00:09

    FWD Wagner LJ330 Here's the smallest Wagner I've ever seen... It has a bucket on it, but the forks are still around.

  8. #8trainwreck2010-05-09 01:27

    72v what part of oregon are you in?

  9. #972V2010-05-09 08:54

    Willamina

  10. #10alleyoop2010-05-09 10:42

    Hey i know those two guys that one guy is Alleyoop on here.

  11. #11trainwreck2010-05-09 14:01

    im over in salem.

  12. #12John C.2010-05-09 22:40

    That Wagner looks so old that they probably used water pipe for hydraulic fittings. I've never seen one that small. What size tires, who's engine and transmission? It looks like you found a gold mine of old equipment. Good Luck!

  13. #13JeremyM702010-05-09 23:05

    Hey 72V what ever happened to Maben Trucking in Willaminia? Did they go out of business? We used to do radio work in their chip trucks for them years ago.

  14. #1472V2010-05-09 23:57

    I don't think they're doing much anymore. Walsh hauls all the chips out of Willamina Lmbr Co and has for quite a while. Do you work for a commmunications outfit?

  15. #1572V2010-05-10 00:00

    Yes, it seems to be pretty old. We think it's small Cummins engine, but weren't ambitious enough to look when we were there. I'll check out all that stuff when I get back there next time. Thanks, John.

  16. #1672V2010-05-10 00:41

    Here's a nice little video of a Wagner L70 on Youtube. It probably has a NH250 Cummins in it. L70's had a "Carriage Extend" feature that I'm not sure that the other ones had. It operated like a big bellcrank between the boom and the fork frame, that moved the the whold works out another couple feet when you needed it. YouTube - L70

  17. #17JeremyM702010-05-10 00:48

    Yeah I drove thru Willamina last fall and didn't see their yard anymore in town and saw a few mills in the area all closed down too I used to work for a two way shop that did alot of work in the valley from Portland to Eugene. Logging to trucking to farming to mills and everything in between. I now work for a local govt agency doing similar work, plus do some occasional side work.

  18. #18John C.2010-05-10 20:53

    Glad to hear of the antique will go to a museum and not the gas axe. Way back when I worked for Howard Cooper Corp. we got one or two L 90s or a L120 in the shop over the winter to rebuild. Those machines would go down to bare frame. The frames and booms would get all the cracks welded and lots of plate reinforcement. All the cylinders got rebuilt, air and hydraulic lines replaced, engines, transmissions and torque converter rebuilt. The finals and differentials got rebuilt as well as the steering axles. Those things would keep three men busy for a month or more. Too bad all the money went out of logging.