Post your M&B pictures here, including ex-M&B machinery still in use today, or parked in the boneyard.
Here are some to start...... Post yours, too! The last one is MB&PR, the equipment was yellow until the mid sixties.
Some from the Archives......
Archives, round 2.
More Archives.
Great pics, Contract Logger! The first two were taken at Copper Canyon Division, that long log was sent to England to become a flagpole at Kew Gardens.
These were emailed to me. No idea when or where..... They arent red and white, like the thread title says. But they sure are cool!
I have never been around anything M&B, but people are constantly emailing me M&B pics, so I have a few hndred of them on my computer. I am leary to post cause I dont know where they come from and probably are copyrighted or something....... Last thing I want is to annoy somebody by posting thier pics.
You used to be able to get these pictures for free off the UBC Digital Library site, but the bookmarked link I have no longer works.
Emailed to me.
Mmb MMB equipment on VI
More MacMillan Bloedel pictures From the dispatcher's office and some more
Yay, Torkel!! I knew you'd have some good pics! Except, several are backwards!
I was trying to figure out what was wrong with the 7280 thanks trackloader. You can always tell a M&B GY by the AC unit on the cab
Yeah. I obtained a very nice Leitz slide projector from the government, but it had some problems with paper frames... So, after trying to get stucked frames out for a while, in the dark, I lost the cassete on the floor spreading these 50 FIRST slides nicely out over. And since it was 11.30 in the night and I really wanted to post some pic's and then some happened to be backwards... I see both of the pics of the photos on the dispatchers wall (that was in Mission road in Port Alberni) is backwards, and the Cypress! I I'll send some slides for transfering to some professionals later, guess the results gets better then.
TorkelH: I'm glad you came over here from youTube. Sure enjoyed you and trakloaders videos. Post all the MB pictures you have. I can always look at more. I worked for MB for 8 years and they were a prince of an outfit. I will always have a place in my heart for anything coloured red or red and white because of the good times I had working for them. Too bad Weyerhaeuser came in and wrecked the good times. May they burn in a very hot place for a very long time (no offense to you Contract Logger by saying this).
A Few Red & White Things........ A nice mix of M&B stuff.
More of the Red & White Red & White iron continues to populate the forest, more than a decade after M&B was destroyed by Weyerhaeuser...
M&b It will be many years before the Red & White iron is all gone. It has certainly outlasted Weyerhaeuser in BC!
And Still More....... Here are a few more.
A Few More. Red & White iron helped make BC the province it is today.
More........... A couple more.
Lol, I grew up surrounded by Weyerhauser (late 60's through late 80's) so my tendencies are toward the yellow and green, but have never heard anything but great things about the M&B group. My dad got 30+ years out of Weyerhaeuser, so trust me I am very aware of thier shortcomings. Weyco would slit your throat in a heartbeat (and mine) so no offense taken on that:drinkup
Red & white MB trucks Some MB trucks + lowbed - more will come
More of the Red & White Lots of red and white stuff around here.
More pics Some more pics incl some with Weyerhaeuser logo on. No offense to anybody but quite a few people told me that Weyerhaeuser did some bad things in BC, but living in Denmark I can't tell what what is true / not true:beatsme, so instead enjoy pics
More pics taken on VI summer 2005
More M&B Pics Just a quick note to explain the MacMillan Bloedel Ltd. equipment numbering system. Logging trucks were given an "H" number, log loaders an "L", and grapple yarders a "Y" number. This makes sense, hauling, loading, yarding. Steel spars, however, were given a "J" number. (jarders?) Forklifts and cranes also had "J" numbers. Cats got an "E" number, graders and front-end loaders an "M". Gravel trucks and light stands among other things got a 'G" number, trailers an "X", shovels and backhoes an "S", fire equipment an "F", crummies a "K", foremen's pickups a "T", drills an "N".
Some pics taken on VI summer 2005 - LLL shop and Port McNeill Hayes HDX preloader is ex MB #H318 from 1974 with an Aspen dump trailer ex MB #HT40
Well, I'll tell you something.... When Weyerhaeuser assimilated M&B, it took some time for the M&B logos to get covered. They finally ended up getting night shift mechanics on the job, sticking on Weyerhaeuser decals. When Weyco contracted us out, the Weyco decals mostly vanished, practically overnight. NOBODY was sorry to see them go. Lots of guys really enjoyed ripping the decals off and shredding them! Lots of bitterness in BC over the whole thing. If you look closely at my pics, you'll notice some have white Weyerhaeuser decals, too.
More MB pics
Thanks for explaining MB letters trakloader - I knew most of them - I have some pics og a P16 with a huge dump - I think it was numbered #G24 - I have to find pictures and scan them. 3rd pic shows a LLL P16 with an old MB lowbed. Last pic showing #H273 is a P12W and not a P16
The last pic, that looks like it might be our old H-258, or 150. It certainly looks familiar.
Well I can add "B" = boats Letter "M" makes sense as well - "maintenance"
You are right it is QCD #H258 and still going strong in 2008 (LLL in Port McNeill)
I figured as much, several of the QCD trucks had identical looking mirror posts, with the top bar connecting them. 148, 149, 150, 258, 259, 289, and 290 come to mind. I would be amazed if 259 is still around, the cab was pretty rotten when it left here. 148 had a Cat 3408. 289 and 290 never left QCD.
Indeed, but "N" for drills, and "E" for cats.... ?? ?? The "X" on trailers is really confusing, as are the "Jarders"... I think welders got a "B" number, too, but I might be mistaken. As for the numbers themselves, we had Y-07, 09, and 09 here, even though Y-09 came 10 years after Y-07. The last two drills were N-32 and N-104, Y-01 was newer than Y-09, Y-03 was the same vintage as Y-34, Y-30 was only a year newer than Y-09.... They must have picked numbers totally at random.
More MB truck pics... White Challenger truck is an ex MB truck. MB had 3 Challenger trucks, one was a preloader, 2 others were normal logging configuration
I can't recall I've seen H259 any places when visiting VI
Yes you are right a bit confusing. But I have been told that when an old piece of equipment was written off, sold, scrapped whatever, the new piece of equipment replacing the old maybe got the old number. I know for sure that 3 different trucks got the same H-number but newer at the same time, so MB had some kind of systematic but a bit odd
Last bunch of my MB pictures today
Last bunch of my MB pictures today and yes I am Kim Loeb if any wants to know
kim, in pic number 3 in previous post is a 60-70 series chev. here's a pic of mine
YouTube - Martin mars It's red and white and M&B was a big shareholder, so I thought I would post it.
Good place for it! I have a neat old M&B propaganda film that shows the Mars in action, but it's on 16mm. film. A real pain setting up the giant projector to copy it.
More red and white MB trucks - pics taken in summer 2007 :canada
More red and white MB trucks - pics taken in summer 2007 All still going strong more than 35 years or more after they were built - they are built to last :canada
More red and white MB trucks - pics taken in summer 2005 :canada
More red and white MB trucks - pics taken in summer 2005
More red and white MB trucks - pics taken in summer 2005 :canada
More red and white MB trucks - pics taken in summer 2005 - last pics tonight
Sproat lake Challenger H160 Hello Hayesno1! Have u seen my video of one of the MMB Challengers (H160) in Sproat Lake division? YouTube - Truck loaded by line loader (super snorkel) . Do you know anything about a Hayes at Franklin, H16, which is in my other video? By the way, the super snorkel operator in the film is in fact norwegian. And if that wasn't enough (and here comes the clue), working far out from Sarita in a Madill 075 YouTube - Super snorkle is a Dane!
"J" for jarder Yeah Trakloader, I also have allways been wondering about the "J" on the MB spars and if it was for "jarder"! Maybe some here at the forum knows!
Yes I have - several times - great videos I dont know anyting about Hayes #H16 from Franklin. Sproat Lake D. Hayes HDX #H316 to #H321 from 1974 I can add a funny thing. When I took pictures of #H318 (now LLL #T339) I could see #H318 at doors but at top left of water tank it was just #H18 and you could not ad "3" between the H and 18. H160 was a Challenger preloader, but I think it was scrapped after a second accident. Challenger H159 and H165 were normal logging configutation. They were sold to Mars Industries H159 got no. A89 as it was built in 1989 and H165 got no. A94(built 1994). I am not sure who owns those 2 MB Challenger trucks. Sure it is a small world - grettings from Denmak to all Maybe some can ad some info about the Hayes H16
If you watch my videos of the 5675 log loader, operated by a fellow they called 'The Black Swede', he was actually from Norway, too.
H-54 Poor old H-54 has fallen on hard times lately.
S-100 Backspar.
So are the MacBlo truck pictures from the 2000's now Weyco truck that never got repainted, bought by another company who never repainted, or in the hands of collectors that are keeping them as is??? Just curious because as I understand MacBlo went away in 1999?
Jaylift This is the old shop crane, called a "Jaylift". It was built by Jacobs Brothers in Vancouver, BC.
Weyco stuck around only long enough to manipulate the Provincial government into removing the private land from the tree farm licenses, then they sold off all the TFL's, and pulled out. They now log the private land as "Island Timberlands". They didn't stay long enough to re-paint any equipment, and the small contractors that took over can't afford paint. Red & white iron will be around for many years to come.
Big Terex Loader This big Terex was used to load rock trucks.
Thanks for the clarification, clear as mud
Swedish snapple-yarders So I'll then conclude that 2/3 of them running loaders in the BC coast are norwegians and the rest 1/3 are danes! By the way, maybe the swedes then are on the snapple-yarders:tong lol
That could be! I've never met a snapple yarder operator, so I couldn't tell you.
Picture Taken This Evening H-45, 152, and 43, still pulling logs.
Here are a few pics of H24 before and after HFS T1052. I have a few pics of of Dave Mill truck but I am not sure if it old H34
Posting pics #46 top preload truck is ex H319 (loaded)from Franklin River and under that is HDX preload H321 in front of shop also pics of H321 on post #47 posting # 49 shows old HDX T8158 loaded was H319 and under that is old H107 post #50 shows ex Sproat Lake Division H154. H316-H321 were Franklin River Division trucks There was never a H16 at Franklin Hope this helps Trakloader is right There was and always will be hard feelings about Weyco's hostile take over of M&B and shutting them down. At least the truck I drive never had a Weyerhoser decal on it.
I think it would be fair to say, W%*@#haeuser is probably the most despised name in BC logging history. They pretty much gave the whole province the shaft. I notice that most old M&B iron kept the old colours and logo, but you rarely see Weyco decals anywhere. No time was wasted ripping them off! Weyco really tried to eradicate the M&B name altogether, even to the point of cutting the MB name off of signs in the middle of nowhere.
MacMillan Bloedel Films M&B footage, to promote BC wood to Japan, etc. YouTube - MacMillan Bloedel Stock Footage 2 YouTube - MacMillan Bloedel Stock Footage, 1 YouTube - MacMillan Bloedel Film Excerpt YouTube - MacMillan Bloedel Ltd, The Managed Forest
Lowbed with Loader This was an ancient lowbed, it arrived in Juskatla with Grandpa's Lima dragline in 1949 and it wasn't new then. It had a bogey from a chain drive KW under the rear gooseneck, and would often track off on its own on corners. It could only be side loaded, too, which really limited its capabilities. Still, it served for many years, I think it was the late 80's or early 90's when they finally sold it.
New QCD Lowbed, early 70's This Smith took the place of the previous bed. I think this is the one sitting in the boneyard today, the gooseneck got badly twisted side loading the 144.
Smith Bed This Smith 150t. folding gooseneck lowbed replaced the bed in the previous post. It's still in use today.
Ex MB P16 now operated by LLL, Port McNeill
Pics of old MB Smith 150 ton folding gooseneck now operated by WFP. Normally old MB H86 - a Pacific P16 - is acting as tractor
Taken Today Took these on my way home this evening. H-43 and H-152. Enjoy!
Nice pics trakloader I have some issues with HE site for the last 2-3 days, sometimes I have access and some times I haven't
I, too, have had trouble! Seems fine now, though. The picture of H-43 turned out nice, huh?
Yes it seems okay now Great picture of H 43 with huge load in nice sunset
Well Done Trakloader. I sure loved the vid of the 2 P16's in tandem with loads PURE CLASS I know just how those two guys felt boppin along like that. I guess it was just a case of you had to be there to know what it was like!!!
Glad you liked that! I'm going to link some more of my videos on here tonight. I have tons of material from the archives, WFP just threw everything away! I saved a lot of it, but I know I missed a lot of good stuff. I did get a couple of Hayes trailer manuals, and a Pacific operator's manual.
Logging Trucks HDX's and P-16's. YouTube - OFF HIGHWAY LOGGING TRUCKS
14G Grader Dad running the old M107. YouTube - CAT 14G GRADER STARTING AND DRIVING AWAY
Hayes HDX, 1978 From the archives. YouTube - DRIVING DOWN THE ROAD IN AN HDX, 1978
Moving the J-23, 1978 Yarder built in the M&B QCD shop. YouTube - STEEL SPAR MOVING TO THE NEW SETTING, 1978
Red & White Trucks 1978. YouTube - HAYES HDX LOGGING TRUCKS, 1978
M&b qcd 1978 HDX YouTube - HAYES HDX, 1978
Logging Trucks in the Dust 1978 YouTube - HAYES HDX LOGGING TRUCKS, 1978
Loading Up, 1978 M&B QCD. YouTube - LOADING A LOGGING TRUCK, 1978
Mack, Ex-Menzies Bay Div. Now owned by Olympic. YouTube - MACK CL-350 LOGGING TRUCK
H-289, Summer 2009 1968 HDX. YouTube - HAYES HDX CROSSING FLORENCE CREEK BRIDGE
Great videos - keep them coming. I do hope you will let us enjoy some of those Hayes trailer manuals. :canada
MB trucks - some in new color configuration
Not much to see, they're little more than spec sheets. Still, they come in cool Hayes duo-tangs with the bear on them! Keep posting the great pics, and feel free to add any of mine to your collection!
Hayesno1 One day I will ask Mike just how many of those HDX's he converted and rebuilt. For those of you that are interested Mike Murphy was the Master Mechanic of Pt McNeil M&B Division What Mike did was take a well worn HDX and rebuild her with new water tank and fenders as well as hood and install a new Pacific P16 cab on them.The entire truck was rebuilt and Mike knew where the weak spots were so he would upgrade them. This gave all those trucks a second chance To my knowlege every truck Mike rebuilt is still running around and in very good shape with the exception of H147 and she was dissmantled after a fatal hauling accident in Sarita
H-147 and 149 were rebuilt at the QCD shop. H-271 was sent to Port McNeil and done there, and they used her as the pattern when doing 147 and 149. 147 was in pretty good shape to begin with, having been used as a sand truck for 15 years or so. Low mileage. They used to rebuild all the trucks here, but 44 and 45, and 271 were sent away. 271 arrived here from, I believe, Copper Canyon, and she was in pretty sad shape. I think they test drove her, and that was it. Sent off for rebuilding! I don't think I even have a picture of 271.
HDX Interesting information as usual When visiting old Port McNeill MB Div. I have never seen any HDX logging trucks with the original Hayes - they all got the Pacific cab. The only HDX with original cab is H268(fire/water truck) and H297(sander truck). Posted a pic of H68 taken in summer 2000 Cameron Div.
Sorry forgot to attach picture of H68. H109 and H74 with Pacific cab, Port McNeill:canada
Hayesno1 Great pictures H68 was the only Mack highway truck bought by M&B Cameron Division. It was sold then resold and now is a roll on roll off truck owned by Walco Industries of Port Alberni H109 was sent new to M&B Franklin River Division in 1972 and surplused/Transfered to Pt McNeil Division around 1990 It was there where she was rebuilt and put to back work. H74 was a M&B Sproat Lake Division truck--some of their HDXs and P16s were surplused in 1999 when some of these divisions went over to the highway truck and second growth logging. Some of us chose to stay on our big trucks but lots of guys couldnt get out of them fast enough
Trakloader Somewhere I have a picture of her down at the Canyon before you guys got her Yes indeed she was rode hard and put away wet
I figured so. We have the X07 trailer here, too, which I hear came from CC. I remember climbing into 271 for a look, and being surprised at how sacked out the steering wheel and seat felt! I might be wrong, but I think she had Budds on the front.
Sorry wrong number I ment H262 and not H268. See posted picture of H262 and H297 both from Port McNeill. Posted some more pictures of old MB Port McNeill trucks some in new color configuration. From being MB trucks they went to WeyCo, then Cascadia and now WFP in less than 10 years - makes me wonder...
Hayesno1 Wow you did it again H262 went to M&B Port Hardy in 1967 and H297 went to Eve River Division in 1969 when these trucks were new. The P16 is one of M&B Sproat Lake Division trucks that was sold to Lamar Lake I think.
Trakloader, That trailer was a bit of history in itself X07 was the trailer that went to EXPO67 in Montreal behind the Hayes HDX. After EXPO67 was over and everything came back to Vancouver the truck went into inventory and as it happened M&B had placed an order for trucks and the EXPO HDX was painted red and white (was APACHE YELLOW) and issued unit #H07 and as you know the trailers were Xnumbers so X07 went with her to M&Bs Copper Canyon Division The X07 serial # is 8013051 it was a 53ton not the 60 ton trailers of the 70s The H07 has been saved and restored by Alan Williamson of Qualicum Beach But as you know it does not have its proper trailer it has an old 53ton Franklin River trailer behind it
Interesting stuff, I believe X07 came with H-55. It would be nice if we could re-unite H-07 with her original trailer!
Thanx HDX. You are right about P16 former MB truck . It is old #H323 now LLL unit #T320. Re. H297. When new did HDX H294 go to Eve River Div as well? I know H293 did. H295 must still be going strong as a water truck. Is that an Eve River truck as well?
MacMillan Bloedel, Queen Charlotte Division, Circa 1985 P-16's hauling big spruce. YouTube - Pacific P-16's, Datlamen Main, 1980's
MB dolly with a 5th wheel on it. I think HDX can identify it/make. I knew I had some pics of one
M&B QCD Chunk Truck The only pics I have of it are these screen captures from a DVD. I believe it was H-226. Anyone have any idea who made that loader?
H-258 1978.
Loading, 1978 Screen shots from my DVD.
Old Video 1984-5 or so. YouTube - Big Datlamen Spruce
Another Old Video HDX will get a kick out of this one! YouTube - H-137 Frankie Crossing the Two Mile Bridge, Big Spruce
Hayesno1 H294 Delivered Jan 31 1969 H291 H292 H293 H294 H295 H296 H297 H298 All delivered in same period Eve River (We Deliver) Division
You are right another load of berries ---only thing better is if it was on an HDX LOL
Trakloader judging by the speed it must have been Frank Hampton driving
Yaa, you're never happy! But you're right, I never liked the look of the P-16's with the enlarged windshields. I have some identical footage with H-149, but alas, it's copyrighted...
Didn't you recognize his ugly mug in the preceding video?
All P-16's look good to me. Best part is the only logger I've rode in is a HDX, #H-17 to be exact. Remember me Steve? Great stuff trakloader...I've viewed most, if not all the YouTube videos you have posted over the years. Great stuff for a guy who lives so far away from it.
Well PacificEd - you found this web. I totally agree #H17 is no. 1 you ahve to come back. I am planing to come back for 5 weeks holiday this summer. 3 weeks at The Island. When heading North LLL shop is on your left just before you turn right heading against Beaver Cove....
Is it visible from the road? I think I'll take Steve's advice and see about making another trip out.
You should - it is my second country:canada
Are you coming to QCI, too? Maybe save me some postage? :tong
Thanks, PacificEd! Always nice to hear that people actually enjoy my videos!
Sure I would like saving some postage I would like to go to QCI, but I am bringing my 2 nephews with me this year. I have promised them a trip to BC -to discovery and show them your beautiful BC. But I have desided yo visit QCi in the future(3 or 4 years from now):canada My newphes will see things like this
PacificEd Dont forget Brenda and Sunshine
3-4 years! There won't be anything left to see by then! Well, maybe not, Uncle Stan always seems to pull a rabbit out of his hat and keep us going. Things are a lot slower now than even three years ago, though. Olympic has downsized quite a bit, and we only run about five trucks now.
Yes very sad for the futuere, but you are properly rigth . Even thoug there will still be equipment around. This year I will take pictures of other logging equipment instead of just taking pictures of off highway trucks. And sure I will look for red and white equipment Here are pictures of H33. I stiil think it is going strong as an IPL sander truck
Hayesno1 That is still one of Northwest Bays sandtrucks painted a different color now but it is one of theirs yellow and white. It is so confusing now with all this Island crap Island timber Island Fibre Island Pacific Lets just throw in the towel and call them LETS SEE maybe MacMillan Bloedel and British Columbia Forest Products and Crown Zellerbach
LOL.. You are right, well maybe we should have a BCFP and a CZ Thread so all 3 "giants" are represented. :canada Here is a picture of a CZ HDX with Pacific cab and a BCFP HDX from 1969 both converted to sander trucks when I took picture(Timberwaste truck as I recall). I just saw a picture of CZ truck (#CSP13) at Hanks website - it got a huge ugly dump. I think it is operating in Frazer Valley area.
Maybe I should start CZ and BCFP threads.... Do you have enough pics to make something of it?
Well I have few from each company and only truck pictures but there might be others that can post pictures and information.
MB cabs and trucks. Pacific cab #H156 had been mounted on a WHDX. Truck was scraped winter 2005/06
Pictures coming up
Hayesno1 That P16 with the Hayes Forest Logo on the door (side profileof truck) old H155 ex T???? is now rebuilt and owned by Island Pacific Logging and is once again hauling down in Sarita as one of our trucks New unit # is H153 I will take the camera to work and snap some pics and e-mail them to Trakloader so he can post them on here Trakloader I think the Crown Z and BCFP thread would be a real hit on this site. I know lots of guys from both companies and they would probably love to post pics.
Hayesno1 That BCFP truck with the sandbox on it is old unit # 6-230 from Caycuse she was sent up to Courtenay after they started thinning out the trucks down Cowichan way. Maybe the amalgamation of Caycuse and Gordon River and Renfrew Divisions Man what sad days for those guys. Same thing happened to Crown Zs NitNat camp and Nanaimo Lakes Divisions All those big camps are gone Franklin River Sproat Lake Copper Canyon. Would be interesting to list all those camps and how many people worked in each one
Sure must have been sad. I don't know how Juskatla continues to survive... Well, barely survive, I should say. Hard to believe Franklin is gone. I always felt rather sad when a barge load of equipment showed up here, figured either another division closed, or had a major downsizing. We got a bunch of junk from Chemainus when I was a kid, and more recently, a whole bunch from Copper Canyon.
Fine looking Rock Drill
Mmb 084? I'm not sure if it was a MMB machine, but here's the rest of the third 084 built. Don Whitaker bought this one from Vancouver Island.
What a weird drill, looks like a Roc-Champ on a tank mount almost. Never seen anything like it. Maybe it was built in an M&B shop.
It's very small aswell, wish I parked my PU beside it for scale..
I see that, only two bogies per side. Finning built a Hydraulic Tank Drill for a very short time, cute little machine. It, too, had only two bogies per side, but it was a hopeless failure. Not enough travel power for steep hills, and not fast enough on the road. The drill in your pic has the same cab as the Chapman Roc-Champ, and looks like the same boom, too. I wonder if it's hydraulic drive. Thanks for some more great pics, by the way! :notworthy
Picture of MB #1044 2-6-2T. Retired late 1960's. At display Chemainus since 1970. When new in 1924 it went to Timberland Development as unit #4.
Old MB Hayes HDX trucks with Pacific cab both now operated by WFP, Port McNeill Div. MB #H83 now WFP #2224 and MB #H74 now WFP #2223 but last is still red, green and white
044 and 046 Tagline 044 Y50, one 046 working highlead and one longline in the Franklin area about 1996
Great pics! :notworthy That 7230 looks like the one in Murk's video.
MB Hayes HDX #H112 is a 1972 model. From new it went to Franklin Div. Later it was converted to linehorse. See posted pix and now it is converted to ramp with huge long bumper - truck is operated by local contractor in Port Alberni-
This is a Hayes WHDX #H156 wiht Pacific cab. "W" indicates it got 40" wide frame. Truck was scrapped aprox. 2005-2006. #H317 parked behind Cameron shop with no water tank
Drott Carrydeck Crane Little crane used around the M&B QCD South end shop.
Hayes MB trucks being scrappes at Tom Turners place year 2000. Take a close look of cabs that were saved - you can at least see 3 Hayes , 1 KW MB cab and Mack CL350 cab + some cabs from yarders....
Old MB P16's - present owner is Lake Lemare Logging. According to Trakloader, first pix shows ex. H137, QC Div. Next pictures shows another LLL P16 at Beaver Cove crossing Canfor tracks(now WFP) Truck has still got MB colours. Old MB unit unknown
Lot of old MB equipment still running in MB colours:canada
MB trailers in Fort Nelson and Hayes HDX old MB #H295 now a WFP water truck running on The Island
MB QCD Jaylift Many posts ago, I posted pics of the old yard crane used at M&B's QCD shop. Well, now it's mine, and all restored and painted. (Thanks for the help,HDX!)
Nice nice Nice work Trakloader, hope you can find an old Wash up there to go on with further, and you probably get some use for your yard crane too!
I got a late dumb question. in post 46 and 51 the truck with the smallish dump looking bed loos like it has a cage over it. was that a screen or grizzly for pit rock. I see it again in pst 51. Also is that one in 51 a water truck I see what looks like hydraulically driven spreader wheels at the bottom of each pipe.
Taylortractornu. The truck with the screen is a sandtruck used for sanding the roads in the winter time The screen on top stops large rocks and mud from getting into the box when the front end loader is loading them The sand comes out the bottom hoppers in front of the wheels. This is done so the sandtruck does not spin out and slide around as much as they do with the sand being spread behind the wheels.Also lets the sandtruck driver know how the spread is going down on the road.Sometimes one of the hoppers will get plugged up with sand and not come out one side or the other so the driver can stop and unplug that hopper. The other truck you asked about is a fire tanker truck and with this plumbing mounted on the back like it is would be for watering down the roads or the dryland sort yard for dust control. Sometimes they water down the gravel roads just before they grade them during long dry conditions Does this answer your questions ??? Let us know
Sander trucks have another special feature. Take a look at posted pictures (MB Unit #H33, H297 and H278) of sander trucks, none of them got stacks. The warm exhaust is guided through pipes to sander box to heat up the sand during winter time.
Smith Sander Thought you guys might like some pictures of a Smith sanding unit in action. H-147 had one stack, with the other exhaust routed to keep the sand warm. I remember two of these units, originally they could be simply dropped onto an HDX in the Winter, if I'm not mistaken. Had their own little motor, entirely self contained. As HDX says, they were much better than the older type that threw sand BEHIND the driving wheels!
Old #H166 in new colour configuration
Sproat Lake Division I worked at Sproat Lake in the Y & L back between 1976 & 1982 - when the big purge happened. I spent some time as a shop helper and used to load trailers on the HDX's during the evening shift, when I got tired of pushing a broom. The old mechanics didn't even care that I didn't have an air ticket, they just showed me how to fire them up and away I went. Different times they were. Does anyone have a list of what trucks were in that division during this era? How about the Yarders and Loaders? I spent much time working on the old J-87 Sparmatic as a rigging slinger - I've even got photos of it and the J-88 parked in a back road up by Hidden Lake just before they were scrapped. I managed to get the builders plate off the '87 and it now hangs proudly on my wall downstairs. Any old Sproat Laker's on this forum?
Well, don't just tease us, man! Post the pictures!
I started going through my photos last night - haven't looked at them in years. Nothing I have is scanned to computer and I'm just finishing off the last ink in my old printer/scanner before I drag out the new unit I bought. So be patient. I've got some shots of a Sparmatic laying on its side after toppling during a towering down gone wrong event. I can't believe these shots after from over 30 years ago. How hard is it to post pics to this forum?
Posting pictures is fairly easy, if you need help, let me know!
Let see those pictures - it is pretty easy to post pictures. Somewhere on this website I wrote "how to do". If you need help let us know
I scanned one last night just to keep you guys in your chairs, but it was in the wrong format - something called TIF - and it wouldn't upload. Even got my 17 year old involved and he threw his hands up in disgust and fled. It'll be awhile guys before this is all going to happen - my night shift work duties are taking priority.
Format "JPG" will do. Family has 1st; then work has 2nd priority - our "hobby" comes when we find spare time ..
I'm having a hell of a time sizing my photos to upload to jpg format. I even went to the effort of installing a new printer on my computer this evening to make the process work. What I have is standard 6 x 4 photos and they scan outside the 640 x 640 limits set by the website. Any help out there would be appreciated - I can downsize them but I hate to lose some picture content. Hints please.
the easyst thing to do is email the pictures to yourself if you are using outlook express. it will shrink the pictures nice and small for posting plus you get an email so you feel loved, LOL. that is all i have been doing since i bought the dumb computers for the last 7 years. thansk KoO Published Author
Gee... e-mailing myself - never thought of that. I'll give it a try.
yes click on the picture, then a little box will pop up on the left corner of your screen and ask if you want to make the pictures smaller, click yes and huge pictures are now reduced to the right size. then the email will appear on your screen and now go to the top left corner and click on file, then scoll down and to where it says save attachments. click on this and your pictures are now saved small. so you actually don't have to email yourself. i emailed myself for almost a year untill i got smarter then the dumb computer. keep those logging pictures coming because i enjoy seeing and learning. thansk KoO Published Author
Here's one... What you are seeing here are actually two old Sparmatics - the J87 & J88 after M & B disposed of them after many years of use. I worked on both and managed to scrounge the bronze plate off the J87. The picture was taken in the mid-90's. Both are now scrapped. The last owner parked them side to side and strung a tarp between them as a makeshift shop roof. I found a pile of time cards in the operating cab and found my name with many of my co-workers alongside - a remnant of 15 years previous. I kept it as a reminder.
J-73 Final Days at Sproat Lake I decided to take my young son down to the old marshalling yard at Cous Creek - Sproat Lake Division back in the late '90's. I was surprised to see many of the old trucks of the '70s & early '80s still in the yard. There were still some of the guys who had stayed on, waiting to hop into their crummies to head out to do some afternoon shift duties. Some recognized me from 20 years previous and congratulated me on my change of careers. I remember when this yarder showed up in '77 - I was one of the first guys setting beads on it.
J-88 On Her Side This happened in the early 80's during a towering down and no I wasn't there. These Sparmatics were telescoping towers and you had to slacken the guy lines to actually extend the tower, to allow you to unlock the dog which held the tower extended. When the dog is unlocked, the tower is lowered vertically inside itself to shorten it from its extended 120' length. What happened here was all was going well as they were bringing her down, but the operator still had to reel in the guy lines as you came down to take up the slack evenly around the machine. In this instance, one of the guy line drums would not disengage and that winch pulled her over. It supposedly happened real slow and the chaser was running in and out from under the machine trying to figure out which way to go as the machine slowly rose away from him and keeled over. No one hurt but the pipe was bent. M & B scrounged another pipe from another logging division and she was good to go quite soon.
Y27 This was my first experience working on a grapple yarder and it was a Washington on rubber. This was in 1979 and my guess is in Cous Division of the Sproat Lake operation. I saw this machine rolled over a few times when they were trying to move her. It was a line shortener set-up and it got the wood.
H -323 This came to Sproat Lake Division in 1976 - along with 324, 325 & 326 - all pre-loads and the only P16's we had on the claim at the time. They were the queens of the fleet and only driven by the most senior guys. I've seen pictures of this truck in other postings and I think it was sold on, repainted and re-numbered.
Y-35 Sorry for the angle shot but best shot of my new machine. This was a Madill 044 Grapple Yarder that came to Sproat in the spring of '79. I was the first chaser. Lots of problems with the Young grapples at first because they were tight and wouldn't always open up - bushed a bit on the small side. I remember the operator trying to smack them open by dropping them on top of boulders. This was a tag line machine which also went against the norm in that M & B mostly had line-shorteners at Sproat Lake.
J-157 Towering down up above Sproat Lake summer of '77. The '157 came to Sproat in the early '70s along with the 156, 158, 159, 160 & 161 - a whole batch of 009's on rubber. Supposedly they drove them from the Madill works to Port Alberni on the highway - minus their pipes - on early Saturday mornings. I wonder what happened to them...
Winter show around 1981 down the Alberni Canal - down toward the northeast side of Nahmint Lake. Lots of Madills and American loaders. We would know it was getting past 3:00 o'clock when the Lady Rose would come steaming by heading toward Port Alberni - another hour till quitting time.
great pictures, glad you got them resized. keep them coming. thansk KoO Published Author
Getting good at this - I even quit e-mailing myself! Thanks for the hints and the compliments.
glad i could be of some help because i'm enjoying a friday night in the great white north looking at your pictures. thansk KoO Published Author
Great pics. Keep them coming. Here are some pictures of H323 I took in summer 2005 in Port McNeill. Present owner is LLL T320. I saw it in 2007. It was still wearing MB red and white colours
L-124 This was an American machine on tracks that we got new in the late '70s for cherry picking on right of ways. Once in a while they would throw it in a landing to load out. The boom was too long to be handy inside the guy lines.
J-161 in the late '70s towered down somewhere at Sproat Lake Div. Anyone remember how we used to scratch our initials and leave messages/dates on the front of the yarder by the driving cab?
Ran across the old J85 in the scrap yard in Squamish some years back and went right to the cab sure enough there was names of guys I hadnt thought about for years. J85 was one of the early Madills mounted on the old M26 Tank Retriever undercarraiges. Great big Hall Scott gas engine still in her. I remember the barrels of gas around them if they were going to move or even turn around in the landing .
Living in Burnaby as I do, I sometimes head up toward Squamish on my motorbike and poke around the back roads/equipment yards. A couple of years ago I stumbled upon an old tracked yarder (it was yellow) parked down toward the BC Rail yards. It was in the process of being torn apart and so I scrounged the Madill builder plate off of it and it now adorns my basement wall. It reminded me of my first yarder - the J -139 at Sproat Lake, which was also a track machine back in '76. I had the pleasure of riding up in the front end of this thing with the operator when the brilliant idea was made to move it several miles on the mainline on its own tracks. For some reason the low bed wasn't called in. Well, we had this thing just a humming along, with the old pipe swaying in its saddle. We almost made it but managed to blow the transmission and so it spent its last year being dragged around by a cat from setting to setting. I also worked on another tracked Madill that was the J - 121. I don't remember what happened to these two machines in the end. Does anyone have a list of M & B equipment and their fate?
J104 is down at the Ramsey yard in Chehalis WA or was at least last year.
[QUOTE J85 was one of the early Madills mounted on the old M26 Tank Retriever undercarraiges. Great big Hall Scott gas engine still in her. I remember the barrels of gas around them if they were going to move or even turn around in the landing .[/QUOTE] I've only seen one of these things and it was back in the '70s. We were logging down by Nahmint in the winter show, when we spotted this monstrous cloud of black smoke coming up the bottom road toward our area. The smoke really fired up our curiousity. As it got nearer, you could finally hear it and what a roar it made. What finally came around the corner was one of these old Tank Retriever units owned by a gypo - I think it was Clevens Logging if I remember. I swear my jaw dropped when I finally figured out what the hell it was. A more beaten to death piece of equipment I have never seen. They set up down the road from us on one of the more marginal settings and put her to work. I never saw one in the M & B fleet.
Is this an old track or rubber machine? I don't recognize the number. Did many machines manage to cross the border over the years after they had been used here or there? I would really like to get my hands on some of these build lists and figure who ran/got what over the years.
Can't seem to find a picture of the MMB logo on that yarder, just the logo itself. I think it might have been a self propelled rubber machine, but I could be off? Guess it's time to head up there and visit again. http://www.ramseycoinc.com/ I believe most of their machines from BC were brought down by them.
So Ramsey was a dealer for Madill and then they got into importing used machines? I tried your link - I didn't realize that Madills had an afterlife as dredging machines. Interesting....
J104--J105 were rubber tired Madill yarders both came to Franklin in the 70s. I seem to recall one of them had one section of the pipe changed. It had left Franklin Camp and was going out to the NitNat and a little too much speed on the 7mile strech of pavement between the Little NitNat bridge and Nadira when the pipe buckled. Looked funny but was a big job to fix.
Similar injury happened to the L124 long boom that is pictured above. I'm not sure anymore what happened but they buckled the boom during a move. Either they had it too high and it was against the upper stops or they went over a "_____ head" at speed and the boom developed a crinkle. I remember some repair/splice was manufactured and away she went again.
Lots of them things had trouble on hills, the boom would start raising itself on downgrades. Something to do with the sprag clutch in the boom hoist. I think the gantry on the old Y-07 got bent that way.
Here are some pics of an old MB Pacific P16 truck now running for LLL. The 4th. pic showing LLL #T327 a Pacific P16 preloader might be old MB QCI #H136. Trakloader might recognize the truck. I only got this pic of her.
Here are another LLL truck - unit #T341 a Pacific P16 preloader. This might be old MB QCI #H135. I have seen a picture of her with in green paint but white radiator guard had #H135 painted instead of #T341. Lowbed trailer is an old MB trailer
I don't think it's a QCD truck, all our Pacifics except for H-54 had Cummins power. Hey, tried to e-mail you back last week, but my internet was having "issues" or something!
Just curious.....Do any of these trucks ever come up for sale to the public?Thanks Steve
Yes they do and yes if you got deep enough pockets you can buy them ! BUT the down side is that they are 11ft wide at the tires with 91,000 Clark rear ends and with the BD121 they are 12 ft wide so there is a real overwidth problem. Even with my WHD Hayes there is problems moving her because the DOT wants her lowbedded from show to show.
Man oh man would I LOVE to have one of these trucks!! One can imagine the history of that vehicle. I doubt that I have a fat enough checkbook to afford one but a guy can always dream
Crew of J161 - Sproat Lake Winter show. This thread has been dormant for too long - it doesn't deserve to be sitting on page three. My old crew from 1980. I would really like to get a very detailed picture of the S Madill logo sticker that they put on the guy line winch cover.
Sparmatic Crew Here's a shot of the driving end of the old J87 which we towered up out past Sutton Pass in Taylor River. Great machine - I have the builder plate from the hulk of it mounted on my basement wall.
Some Sproat Lake pictures I agree in it is a shame letting this thread sleep on page 3, I was going to post some pictures yesterday, but the network stopped working. And then you came in before me, nice pictures!
Madill 044 double mains Two 044's at sproat Lake division. Murk100: I am pretty sure the one in picture 1 to 4 is #133 (one of the last one built, it is the same as in my videos) and the one in the last picture is #115 (Y02), if it was not a unit moved from another division.
How does a guy from Norway get pictures from Sproat Lake Division? Any idea who those people standing around the grapple are? The shots of the shop bring back lots of memmories. My marshalling yard was right below the last trucks in the photo. That might be H323 - a P16 pre-load parked out near the fuel pump station. I used to push broom in those shops and drive the HDX's around to the trailer hoist to get them ready for the morning. These shots are taken after I left in '82. My old 044 was a tag line machine and these seem to have double main lines. Great shots.
Awesome pictures! I recognize the 2nd and 5th one from your Skagit slackline videos.
Sproat Lake Good question! I have been one of very few yarding contractors in Norway, and because of that I was early facinated by logging on VI. So in the late 90's and early 2000 I visited Franklin and Sproat Lake several times. Even if it is big differences between the industrial forestry on VI and contracting cut-to-lenght logging on small land owners in Norway I feel I have picked up a lot of knowledge and "widened my horizon", as to say, travelling around on VI and the West Coast. Luckily enough I have taken pictures and videoes on these trips, and for many years i thought no one but me was interested in this! I don't know the guys on the picture, but the one in blue shirt is the yarder enginer, the man left of him shadowed by the crane end/grapple was at this site driving the line horse. I don't remember his name, but I picked up a ride in H325 with him to the yarding site at the old highway. Later I met him working as a hook tender on the same gy you can see in the first pictures. I think the yarder enginers name was Bill, very clever guy. I have put out a lot of videoes with this machine working on the oposite side of Sproat Lake (from these pictures) on YouTube. I also include a picture from the cab of one of the challenger trucks at Sproat Lake. Maybe you recognize the norwegian operator of the super snorkel, his name is Hank, I enclose a picture. I have also put out videos so you can see his skills as a loader operator. He even had built some full working models of gy's and loaders, you will find a picture of it somewhere in this forum!
Hank Bakken I remember Swedes coming over to Sproat Lake back in '77 - who were amazed at the size of our logs that we were pulling out of Branch 302 up above Two Rivers Arm on Sproat Lake. My rigging slinger career was starting to come into it's own then. The person you have a shot of was Hank Bakken - who at that time ran loader out in Ash River. I've enclosed a picture of him from '79 - the people are R to L - Hank Bakken, Al Ferguson (Fergie), Ben Schaefer & Tom Russell. We were working up in the back end of Ash River and were enjoying a lunch break on a nice fall day - back when I worked on the GY Y35. Great times. When I left Sproat Lake in '82, Hank was in the process of building a model of an American loader for Eli Evans - a retiring operator who supposedly was a pioneer in the development of the snorkel on loaders. A bunch of guys were trying to create this model from scratch and I lent my knowledge of modelling to the mix. It sounds like Hank did finish the project in the end.
Jackd - here are the pictures of two of the models, full working and for educational use. He used viper motors to power the different functions. You'll also find link to youtube and some very long videos of a grapple yarder working there above Two Rivers Arm. Hank Bakken is from a farm district out of Stavanger, Norway. It has almost no forest and is one really flat part of Norway. I live some 500 km north up the coast, and there most of the terrain is very steep, and forested. I remember he asked me, as he had been a farm boy growing up in Madla, if it was forests in Norway, he couldn't remember to have seen some trees when he grew up... HeavyEquipmentForums
I think the American loader was modeled after the machine that Hank ran back in the good old days - I think it was the L-102 - I could be wrong. I wish someone could set me straight on what was out there in those days by providing a M & B equipment list. From what I remember, the model undercarriage was made of steel which would not be an easy material to manufacture a model out of. I think that HDX knows Hank quite well through the antique logging truck bunch in Port Alberni and McLeans's Mill. Hank, from what I hear is now retired and actively involved in preserving the logging history in the Valley.
it's always nice to see pictures from my sproat day's ( those were good times and we all grew up out there ). How you been jack ? I learned alot working with some good loggers over the years but you were my first ringslinger and kept me alive long enough to teach me the basics. It's been 32 years and I'm still kickin' and still learnin'...Thank's Tony
Tony! Yup, you found me... It's been almost 30 years since we worked together - where did the time go? Here's another shot of us from what I guess would be 1980 or 81 - me hooking and you pulling rigging. Actually we were towering up the Sparamatic out by Sutton Pass - possibly Branch 513. These were the days of Sewardchuk, Melvin Cain and Norm Smith.... Angelo Serina running loader - the L353 with Mike Oliwa (K-Mart blue light special fanatic) bucking. We had a lot of fun on that crew, didn't we? This is one of the shots that John Spencer (the guy in the middle - Son of Alex - Sproat truck driver) brought to my home. I will send you a PM to give you more news.
Found This in the J-87. I scrounged through the yarding cab of the J-87 when it was parked near Woodward's pit and found this. The builders plate from the winch is hanging on my basement wall.
life after sproat It's going to take a while to get the hang of this ...After we were layed off from sproat I hired on at Eve river and worked there til 85' when I transfered back to sproat Div. and stayed there until the end pulling rigging and hooking on towers,grapple yarders and slack line. I now work for don woodfin as a grapple yarder hooktender. ( it's still a good living but it's non union and the conditions arn't what they use to be ). Let me know what you've been up to and please feel free to E-mail any time at [email protected]
Hayes Think I recall being told this was a 1957 truck,took this last year.Truck was Lineham Loggings , most likely sold by now
HDX, tell us a story!
J-73 Sproat Lake Division Found some more shots in my files which I haven't posted. It's always interesting to go back to where you used to work 20 years previous and find things from the past. Picture taken about a decade ago.
Sparmatic Down This is what it looks like when you lay a 120' Tower down. This happened on the west side of Nahmint Lake in the winter show in the early '80s. They were finished yarding and were towering down. To tower down the Sparmatic, you had to slack off all the guy lines, extend the tower slightly to unlock the locking ring/dogs and then slowly slide the upper section into the lower section. The raising ram on the Yarder is fixed to the lower section, unlike the Madill. So if all goes well, the towering down is an easy affair - you get her down inside the lower section, pull in the slack on your guy line drums as you are lowering her, eventually the guy lines can be unhooked for the stumps and you're good to go. Well all goes to plan until one of your fairlead guy line winches decides to remain engaged and drags her over. Supposedly it all happened in slow motion - she went over like a ship rolling over. The chaser was running in and out from under the yarder - not knowing where to go to be safe. As soon as he ran out, the guy lines started to rain down on his head. So he decided to cower under the thing and ride it out. I imagine it was very traumatic in the final moments as the yarder started lifting away from above him and exposed him to the final moments of her going over. No one got hurt and they put a used pipe on her quickly - back to work. Sorry for the compilation pic. I didn't have my wide angle lens that day. I think I cropped the corner of the photo to remove my ex-girlfriend's head. I should have married her, at least she would go out to look at these things.
Old M&B Firetruck This WAS the QCD camp firetruck, sat in the firehall from 1978 to 2002. 520 original miles, then they sold it and someone did THIS to it.
First Guy Out Of The Bus Logging up above Two Rivers Arm on Sproat Lake - spring of '77. There goes the operator - Ray Samual - to fire her up and build up the air before joining us back in the crummy for mug-up. The loader was the L-231 - with Al Cameron operating. Great wood and a wonderful view of Sproat Lake.
Woods Foreman Here's our old Woods Foreman back in Cous Creek - Joe Gerard - or as we affectionately knew him 'Jughead'. He was an old school logger from the '40s, who had seen it all. He and I got along great. He taught me how to do a 'long/short' splice in the haulback and I think a 'long/long' as well. He used to compete in Logger sports competitions back in his prime, in the wire rope splicing competitions. I hear he passed away a few years ago.
Line Horse in Sproat lake Think this must be the same truck and winch... see it live here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2rhrZ7RAWQ . Now rests up in Port McNeill among many, many friends. The skagit in the video is a BU98, and its most certainly scrapped. Bruce, driving the line horse in the video, told me, just some days ago that the tower was real hard on the lines, probably because of bearing wear on some of the sheaves.
I don't remember H-26 being an acting hauling truck back in my time which was the late '70s - before they converted it to a linehorse. HDX - where did it come from?
Maybe it's not the same truck, it's pretty hard to see the number on the video, it may be to different trucks. I have photos somewhere, where we will be able to see the number. But maybe HDX knows?
It's the same truck.
Yes, I think I recognized it, you see
TorkelH Sorry you guys but I screwed up and answered your question over on the Hayes thread It is H26 and she was at Sproat Lake but came from Copper Canyon originally
H26 Someone grab the headlight buckets!!! HDX were abouts is that v8 rolls royce truck at is it for grabs? was back a few.
correction 8 cyl rolls, rebuilding 327 have v8 on the brain.
M&B sure was big on Rolls Royce diesels. They even had Washington TL-6's with RR engines. The only RR powered machines built by Washington, as far as I know. I believe they had several Madill spars so powered, too, and even at least one 044 grapple yarder. I've heard rumours to the effect that old H.R. had shares in Rolls Royce, so he insisted on buying their engines whenever possible. Don't know if that's true, or not.
hayeslogtruck Yes I just got back You had me confused about the V8 They were C8SFL-- 8 cyl inline Rolls-Royce's All the other HD Hayes's and equipment came with the C6SFL or the C6TFL One was turbo'd and the other was Supercharged These 6 trucks (HDXs) had the longest hoods of any of the Hayes Trucks There is two survivors and may be available for the right price, but neither has the original RR engine and both have been revampted One has a 6-110 GM and the other has a V12 GM These trucks came with 46-40 rear ends and 12:00X24 tires. Afraid even I would shy away from them cause it would take VERY DEEP pockets to do anything with them Then there is the logistics of getting them anywhere on a lowbed and ferry before project even start's Very interesting trucks though
thats to bad not RR motors. they would be a pretty unique piece. have to check my paperwork have article and photos from 1959 motor truck magazine will post .i think they came with roadranger gearbox?
Only one came with RR Trans #6 came with RTO915 main and 2B92 aux The other 5 came with R-1160 Fuller mains and 2B92 Fuller aux's and all came with the Thompson Retarders. And yes if they still had the R/R engine they would be like you say worth saving at least one for history sake. You never know Maybe one of the other 4 will surface and still have THE engine still in her God only knows where you would find parts but it is something to kick around. Start shakin the bushes and see what happens. I have seen both these and it is impressive BUT!!!!!
hayeslogtruck We should be doin this on the Hayes Thread Think we got goofed up after the H26 Linehorse LOL
Linehorse Right beside the tug is the pitiful excuse for a linehorse that replaced the J-91, along with a bunch of other red and white stuff!
Sidewinder Boom Boat M&B QC Division used to have a whole bunch of these sidewinders. All long gone.
Log Ship Haida Monarch Operated by Kingcome Navigation, M&B's towing subsidiary until Tom Stephens sold it to Washington Marine group. The HAIDA MONARCH, launched in 1975, was the world's first self loading, self dumping, self propelled log ship. WMG gutted her, and she is now the towed barge SEASPAN SURVIVOR. The crew would get pretty sore if you slipped up and called the MONARCH a log BARGE. "She isn't a BARGE, she's a SHIP " We used to laugh when Sealaska's barge would come down to load up. Loading the American barges was such a slow process, the MONARCH could come into the inlet and load at all three camps and be gone in less time than it took the Americans to load at one.:canada
Golden Spruce M&B tug "GOLDEN SPRUCE No.2" circa 1980.
H-151 H-151 in the dust.
L-11 and H-54 L-11 loading H-54.
The H 151 is FULLY loaded isn't it? How many ton is on there? It looks like he is hauling arse also! Steve
I dont think that these have been posted yet. I found them on Hanks Truck Pics.
H295 is still being used as a water truck, yes it was an Eve River truck originally
Ryan Please dont scrounge pictures from HANKS Website It just cause's no end of grief !! Its great that he has those pics but there is some rules of protocal we must follow here. I know you only tried to add some neat pics to this site but this will come back to bite us in the rear Out of respect to Hank Suderman we should pass on this. Thanks for your input I know Hank very well and this really upsets him OK
I understand. I would delete the post if I could figure out how too.
No No Ryan I talked to Hank last night and told him and he thanked us all on here for respecting his Site Thank You for your contribution
Ok. I am glad that he is not upset then.
HDX, those pictures look a lot like the North West Bay yard. Is this where they are from? My family has a long history there if so.
Yes it is Right in front of the Shop !!!
Dead yarder - Skagit BU98 I should have understood that the linehorse followed the yarder - here is prove of the death of MMB J20, Skagit BU98. At Lake Lemare's shop. Can still be seen alive here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIAG2Ig9G4Q and in some more videos on youtube. I became interested in the fate of this machine after I was contacted by a researcher for Ax-men about it in 2009.
J-20 She was originally a Kelsey Bay Yarder, I have a picture of her the very first day she came off the barge. We had a hooker killed while yarding with this machine just prior to her going to Sprout Lake. If memory serves me correct we even had an operator go to Sprout for a week in the first setting she was in down there.
Off To The Left - Sproat Lake Division I've posted this shot before but if you look off to the left you can see part of what must be the J-20. It was parked just above the lower level/salvage area. I didn't know the machine so I didn't get a better shot. Where did it wind up?
More Sproat Lake Here's another picture of an 009 on a truck in Sproat Lake shop, and a big collection of Boman's. May it be the same as in your pic's jackd? And some more of the big Skagit. It was a permission to cross the highway in the cabin dated 2003 I think, but it said Kelsey Bay, maybe it went back there? Ended up in Lemare's yard at last, in Port McNeill.
Old Sparmatic Operator... The guy running the Skagit in the last shot is an old pal of mine, who I haven't seen in many years - Rick Hennesy. I must admit that he hasn't changed much in 30 years. Who better to run that monster of a Skagit than an old Sparmatic operator. I just noticed the J-73 in that shot of the three fellows standing around that carriage. From what I can remember the photo shows it being parked at the west end of the yard, outside the fence. There's a short little road there that curves up away from the yard. I used to go back there and there would be old abandoned trak loaders and other equipment from years gone by - rusting happily in amongst the growing alder saplings. I wonder if they're still there.
Sproat Lake Here's some few more pictures of people working in Sproat Lake, some of them you may be able to recognize jackd.
H24 and a couple of Franklin pic's I'm not 100% sure about these pictures, the loader probably is in Franklin, think also the pic with lot of vehicles. And H24?
Blast From The Past Oh my... Do I ever know some of these guys! The truck driver in the first photo is Barry Forbes - who was my uncle's falling partner during my time there. I had heard that he had switched to driving trucks and is now retired. The HD Mechanic is Joe Dvorak, with whom I worked with in the shop back in 1976. He came over from Hungary in 1956 after the uprising - very fine man. The two characters in the pickup are none other than Ricky Chatwin and Walter 'Sudsie' Sutherland. Rick was a loader operator on the L-134 when I was there - a fellow 'Laker'. 'Sudsie' was a hooker on a Madill 009 tower out in Ash River and was a bit of a legend. A prankster he was - always had a crazy look about him. I heard that he went falling - he must be retired by now. Thank you for bringing back the memmories, Torkel.
I am sorry I didn't take more photos of people on my trips to the Sproat operations. I was hiking with Barry Forbes up to the place where Hank Bakken worked the super snorkel, and also the faller in on of the pictures. Barry has his own sea plane, if I don't remember wrong, very interesting man. I will put out the video of the faller, maybe you'll recognize him too then. When I was in Port Alberni in march, I helped a guy out of the ditch, just there on the steep road going up out of the city heading to the Cameron shop, I think Ship Creek road. He was like in his 70's and was salvaging firewood with his truck. He looked like 'Sudsie', but much thinner (and older), he told he had been hooking in Ash River/Sproat, and that he (maybe I'm wrong) was originally european. Of course I don't remember his name, or maybe it just was 'Sudsie'? Maybe some of the other PA guys here would know who he is?
Barry Was a Flyer I knew Barry more off the job than on. He had an aircraft hangared at my Uncle's farm at Stirling Arm and used his airstrip. They were both enthusiasts in that area. Barry was always a very positive guy and very outgoing. I wonder if he remembers me. The only Hooker that I know that fits your description would be Harry Van Appeldorn - he looked much like a scrawnier version of 'Sudsie'. I knew him quite well too - he was the first Hooker on the J-73 back in 1977 and stayed there for years - working with 'Cousin Four Eyes' operating that thing.
Must be him, dutch I think. I didn't know what to do, I see him there with a red pretty much on road pick up stucked in the ditch, trying to hauling firewood out of the forest more or less in the middle of town. I was driving a Tahoe so I thought I would be able to get him up, and after a while he was back on the road. This was just after lunch, and I was in a little hurry going out to China Creek looking at the 046 spar working there, so I didn't had the time to chat to much, but he seemed to be a very nice guy. If you should be in contact with him say hello from me!
Old Harry was a little bit different even back in the day. He lived on a stump ranch on the Stamp River up around Hector's pit. I haven't seen these people in 30 years, but I remember them as if it were yesterday. My brother might run into him - I will mention this to him.
Old M&B cabs. H94 from Pacific P16 and H316 from Hayes HDX preloader
2 old M&B KW still going strong as sanders
Water Tanks Here's some shots that I uploaded from somewhere else. Early water tank setups on Mac & Blo equipment.
Saw This Today Anyone know her?
Looks like a CL350 Mack If it was it was from Menzies Bay Division Just gotta find my pics with all the unit #s
jackd; Wow; that's a Mack CL350 - MB units started at #H435 - they(MB) got 13 CL350. I thought she was scapped - Pacific doors. Great to mknow she is around.. ;-)
A Small Test... I thought that I'd see how sharp you guys are. Not that I doubted your knowledge. This was taken at the Elaho Logging yard in Squamish yesterday. Next to it - in the thick bush is the tank from what I think was H-443. I'll post some of these shots in the Mack thread.
Jackd Did we pass????
Was There A Doubt? With flying colours - as usual. I was hoping the bushes would make it tougher - even to the point of obscuring the number - H-439
Elaho Logging is another name for Olympic, they must have bought that one when they got the others.
So who and where were Olympic Forest Products? By looking at your posting in the Mack CL350 thread, I see that their numbering system was rather simple - H-100, H-200, H-300. My guess is that they used H-439 for a parts machine if they had it at one time and never ran her in service or never got around to re-numbering her. Educate me.
Olympic operated at Stillwater originally, for M&B, though they were around before that. I think they go back to the 30's. They own Elaho, Nugrowth Timber, a chipboard plant, and some dog food company. I think you are correct, they must have used 439 for parts, I think one of the ones in my pics was H-440. Judging by the looks of the Macks they left up here, they probably need a few more parts trucks.
Squamish Shots These are shots from several years ago from a yard in Squamish - where the CL350 sits in the bush. By the size of the alders back then, the Mack has been there for quite the time. How do you tell between an 009 and an 046 on rubber?
That is a 009. The 046 is a big slackline yarder, with three main drums and an extra fairlead on the tower, and eight guylines. The house on the 046 looks similar to the 009, but it is longer, with more house sticking out in front of the cab.
jackd/trakloader; H200 was old #H441. The other 2 I can't remember, I'll check up with my notes. Those Mack trucks went through lot of changes - different cabs, bumpers, water tanks, racks. Here some pics of #H443 but it must be with a new tank as you jackd found her old water tank. I passed that Shell tank in Squamish several times. By the way there are 2 Hayes HD at a junk yard. They are both in very poor condition. I will post a few pics of them.
Hayesno1 -The numbering on the water tank for H-443 (if I even have the number right) that I found was up near the top left hand corner - on a 4" horizontal lip which ran right across, from what I can remember. The tank that you show on your pics doesn't resemble what I was looking at, except the fact that they are both water tanks! I'll be up there again in a few weeks and I'll put in for another look.
jackd;yes number is on of top left side of water tank - so I think they changed the watertank - I did not see any number at watertank when I took pictures of H443 last summer(Kelsey Bay). Well hopefully you might clear out the mistery when visiting Squamish next time
H-443 moved the 7280 today that WFP just purchased from the auction last month. No numbers on the water tank. Obviously it doesn't have it's original tank on it. I'll ask Bill Stewart what he knows about it, he drives the truck which is now used only for lowbed moves. He originally had the H-442 but when Weyerhauser came in and thought the highway trucks were the way to go, H-443 was the last of re-built trucks at the division so she was kept. You'll notice that the truck has Iron River Billy on the hood, that's because the original driver Billy Schilito didn't get along with the Area Foreman at the time (Ken Buxton) for the Memekay, Salmon areas of the claim so the dispatcher kept him in the Iron River hauling trains when they were active down there.
One question I have is it seems that a couple of you guys have a very good idea of what trucks went to which divisions over the years. Is there an old M+B equipment list somewhere, I have never been able to find one. I think i have a pretty good idea what trucks and drivers in the day came to Kelsey,Menzies and Eve but i was just curious about a list??????
BTC If there ever was one it is long gone In the late 90s it drove the Master Mechanics/Shop Foreman nuts trying to keep up with what was going where and who still had what. Mechanics were forever taking stuff off or out of a piece of equipment because it was going to another division and they had just spent big bucks on it so take it off. Patch it up enough to get it out the gate then its their problem! This went back to the early 50s because the shops were responsible for equipment costs. Weyerheauser was the WORST thing that ever happened to M&B. They came up here to dis-assemble the forest industry as we knew it and there was people from within that helped it happen.Well its here and just look at whats happened. When you find a piece of equipment now there is a TON OF HISTORY behind it. You gotta find someone at each division that actually cared in order to fill your request. Remember MacMillan and Bloedel became one in 1951 so thats where you would start---All truck numbers were 3 digit numbers till early 1952 and then they became H-something for Hauling and the trailer numbers were V-something usually same number as the truck was. This letter was discontinued and then the trailer numbers became X-something Good Luck This just might generate some interest while there is still somebody around that will remember Here is a curve ball In 1957 an HD Hayes and 36 ton trailer were delivered to M&B at St Vincent Bay Unit # was H114 Yes it is a skill testing question and there WILL be a TEST
Weyerheauser was the worst thing to ever happen to M+B. I couldn't agree more with that. I was just over to visit my grandfather yesterday for coffee and we discussed just that very thing, as we have discussed it many times over the years. He was a Manager for M+B for over twenty years and remembers quite clearly even at 94 most of his career. He met the Old Man as he refers to him a couple of times and loved the "Company" My Father was also M+B for his career. Just about lost his job when Jim Jackson attempted to fire him because he didn't believe the new way was better then the old way. I was a faller in an M+B camp and grew up in an M+B camp as a kid. I loved the trucks and spent all summer days and after school riding my bike to the dispatch shack. Dad always had a spare portable at the house so I new everything that was going on before and after school. We laugh about it now but he used to get quite mad at me. Just imagine your one of the woods forman in a 400-600 man camp and you get home from a 12 hour day only to get a barrage of questions about why trucks got rerouted or why the lowbed broke down? Why didn't this happened or that from your kid. Hahaha This thread proves that although Weyerheauser may have torn us apart, they didn't break us. Proudly third generation M+B Man.
Trucks Kelsey Bay as memory serves me H-03-Dave Bickford H-05-Fred Mastin H-25(Came from somewhere else in 90)Garry Carson H-35 Spare H-36 -Rick Dorman (Originally) Steve Katovic H-38-Don Howitt H-39-Ted France H48 (My personal favorite Steve Katovic) Truck was just resold two weeks ago in CR Above the driver door is August 17 1984 Date she arrived in Kelsey Bay H-52-Rudy Katovic H-53-Origianly Cubby Bear Then $cott Davidson H-58 Don Brier H-61 Larry Wangler H-79 Slim Jim Menke H-80 Rick Dorman H-81 Brian Weibe H-275 Jake Marsh H-322 Mike Miguiness Eve River H-01-Rob Fredrickson H-02-Gord Gustafson H-11-Swede (Bob Mellon H-22-Glenn Friesen H-37-Bob Perry H-56-Harold Berg H-57-Ted Klettke H-87-Tom Matiason H-293-Don Mclean H-295 Glenn Friesen then ???? H-297 Spare ???? I wouldn't know the earlier trucks, but these were trucks there when i was a kid
BTC "there was people from within that helped it happen" You got it right on the tack Look at NWB when they were booted out of there and the shop torn down so there was no way the crew would be able to come back there again then somebody found out that there was more to it with the Regional Board and somebody had to build a new shop back there DUHHHHH
HDX They still can't seem to want to leave NWB alone. Good crew down there, good supervisors but like many times before and surely many times to come. It's upper management that causes many of the issues that are left for crew and supervisors to figure out. It was a flag ship camp for many years. Still is if you have a good look at it. My grandfather and father both managed there at some point. They both agree it was the best place they ever worked it their careers.
H25 came from Cameron Division Went there new as a Pre-Load then converted to a Conventional A manager named JJ transferred her to Kelsey Bay I think H38 and H58 came to Franklin in around 1999 Both were rebuilt after Hayes Forest took us over H38 became T1058 and H 58 I will try and remember her new number. A good friend of mine drove H295 for some time his name was Don McLean We also ended up with H11 from Eve Was a very nice truck One Owner I was told same as H61 when it went to NWB. Years ago when Terry Boulet was the Master Mechanic at Kelsey Bay and Rick Telford was his assistant we managed to get the last Chain Drive Kenworth out of there H173 and as fate would have it she ended up at the Duncan Forest Museum Remember her --She had the big old tank on the back that all the old oil was dumped into and then she would put it all somewhere LOL Kesey Bay Paving Crew--- During the Taylor River Forest Fire on the Tofino Highway in 1967 there was fire tankers from every M&B Division brought down to help fight the fire and Kelsey Bays contribution was to send down a couple of those old chain drive KWs with tankers on the back They ended up sitting in the new Cameron Division Yard for a long time Kind of like orphans Like nobody really wanted to take them back home again Like OH THEY DIDNT GET BURNED UP IN THE FIRE "OH POOH "
Don Mclean retired from Eve River when i was a chokerman there. I got the trucks mixed up on my list but he retired on H-297. Hauled his last load out of Kunnum Creek from the L-32 Rick Phye.
While not about M & B Iron, it is about M & B. I grew up in BCFP camps, Britain River, Vancouver Bay and Caycuse. When living in Van Bay, I was down on the dock fishing and a large yacht came in and tied up at the dock. Yachts were pretty rare in those days so as a young lad I must have been impressed. A gentleman came to me and asked if I would take a message to the office for him. The office and camp were about a mile from the dock. He gave me a new 50 cent piece for this errand. My father was the timekeeper, so he got the envelope. Then I found out that this was H.R. himself that sent me on my mission. Nowhere to spend my new found wealth in a logging camp in the late forties, so my mother kept it for me. I still have that 50 cent piece today.
I consider the end of M&B to be when they hired that @#$% Stephens. Everything started going down the tubes, and what he did was set up M&B for the Wienerhoser takeover. I remember at that time, it seemed like junk was being barged in every month, at QCD. Meanwhile, some of our better equipment was being barged OUT. Some of the stuff that came here was overdue for the museum. (Y-12, Y-03, M-11, L-76) Even that awful Madill 084 showed up here. The Y-03, big 144 Madill, I don't think it was here for six months before they barged it out again. The picture shows Y-12, Y-34, 084, and Y-03. Y-30 went out on the previous barge.
Y-12 was an Eve River Yarder that went to Kelsey Bay and then I guess up to QCD. L-76 was an old Hydrolic loader and I mean old. I think it was an Hitachi? Maybe a Chapman? Can't remember for sure, also from Eve River. Y-03 came from another Division but it was also at Eve River before QCD. M11? Not sure where that grader was from, doesn't ring a bell. Eve had two graders M-22 and ?????
Wienerhoser. Perfect name for a company that used to be first class, and ended up in the toilet thanks to the stinking MBAs. Years ago, a lot of their management came up through the ranks, and pretty much all the rest started as degreed surveyors or foresters, who still spent a lot of time in the woods prior to advancing beyond that. Emil Knutz retired as a Vice President. He had an eighth grade education, and also strong work ethic and moral values, plus a lot of good old-fashioned horse sense. Look what they have now. They didn't just screw M&B. They are doing all they can to screw their own retirees, who thought they had a deal when they went to work years ago.
MMB number list Wienerhoser - LOL! By the way, with all the knowledge in this forum would it not be time to make up a list of MMB machines? Jeremy70 has made an excelent spreadsheet with Weyerhaeuser machines and numbers.
Trakloader I always said that every man --woman and child in this province should be running around with 20 dollar bills sticking out of their pockets with all the natural resource's we HAD here and allowed foreign companies in to squander away to shareholders half a world away!!!! Fletcher Challange did the same to BCFP and Crown Z and Elk River Timber as well as every other outfit they could buy up Now look at Timberwaste Man somebody should be charged with atrocities against the earth for what has happened to OUR Forest Industry
I hear you, HDX, same up here with Island Timberlands, and Timberwaste in Sandspit. BTC, the M-11 grader was the spare at Copper Canyon, but it was somewhere else before that. I guess I'll contribute all the M&B equipment that I can remember now. Kenworth 849RF'S H-203 H-204 Hayes HDX H-162 Only one with Cummins power H-221 H-222 H-223 H-224 H-225 H-226 H-258 H-259 H-289 H-290 H-147 H-148 H-149 H-150 H-151 H-152 H-42 H-43 H-44 H-45 H-34 H-271 ex Copper Canyon Pacific P-16 H-54 H-135 H-136 H-137 H-55 ex-Chemainus H-46 " " H-47 " " Yarders J-55 Madill, later scrapped, spar used on J-23 J-56 Madill, scrapped, rebuilt as J-91 J-57 Scrapped 1984 or so. J-92 Sparmatic J-93 Sparmatic J-166 Tyee K-166 Tank mount, 120' telescoping tower J-167 " " " " " " " J-?? Two 009's on rubber, they didn't work out and were transferred J-?? J-26 009 tank mount J-91 HDX Mount using old H-221 later converted to linehorse J-23 HDX mount with Tyee K-166A yarder, used old H-222 J-129 P-16 mount with Madill yarder, from Northwest Bay?? Grapple Yarders Y-07 American first QCD grapple yarder, 1968? Y-08 " " Y-09 044 Y-30 044 Y-17 044 Y-34 144 Y-100 124 "custom built" for QCD, had four guylines Y-12 044 Y-03 144 Loaders L-294 American L-295 " " L-318 " " L-68 " " Went over bank in 1972, operator killed. Machine rebuilt and transferred. L-69 " " L-45 " " L-335 " " L-122 5675 on rubber L-218 American L-123 7675 on rubber, with "Luckhurst" long boom. L-110 American L-11 American with steel long boom and snorkel L-18 5675 ex Thompson Logging L-17 Cypress 7230C with steel long boom and snorkel L-115 Cypress 7230R L-76 UH-181 log loader by Chapman L-226 Cypress EX-480LL L-153 " " " L-400 EX-400LL Graders All Cat 14G's M-10 M-18 M-57 M-110 M-102 M-107 M-11 from Copper Canyon Drills N-01 (first tank drill ever built) N-05 M-4 N-62? Air Track N-65 " " N-18 M-4 N-66 M32F N-32 Roc-Champ N-104 M40F Cats E-16 Cat D8H Gas Start E-42 Cat D8H E-43 Cat D8K E-55 Cat D7G E-?? Terex E-?? Big Terex E-03 Komatsu E-07 Komatsu E-64 Hi-drive D-7 E-110 Hi-drive D-7 Grade Shovels/Backhoes S-66 American 750 S-67 " " " S-68 Northwest Model 6 S-10 American 750 S-12 " " " S-65 " " " Last Line shovel, retired 83-84. S-20 Poclain S-31 Cat 235 S-32 UH-172 S-55 UH-181 S-58 " " S-100 EX-400 S-111 EX-200 S-112 EX-400 S-08 EX-300 Backspars S-15 UH-171 S-13 " " Front End Loaders M-07 Cat 966 M-122 " " That's all I can think of right now...
Would really like to know where this equipment originated from? Good memory though, my wife is having a hard time believing that as she says it "More like you"
HDX The H-173 was used around camp for dust control, I only remember that it was parked around the back of the shop. Had to ask about it over the weekend.
The majority of that iron was bought new for QCD. All of the trucks were, except for 271, 55, 46, and 47. 271 came from CCD, the other three originally went to Chemainus, I believe. L-110 came here from another division, but no idea which. There was one loader I missed, L-18, which M&B bought from Thompson.
Late 80's Early 90's Pacifics H-01 Eve River H-02 Eve River H-11 Eve River H-22 Eve River H-25 Kelsey Bay H-38 Kelsey Bay H-39 Kelsey Bay H-56 Eve River H-57 Eve River H-58 Kelsey Bay H-61 Kelsey Bay H-87 Eve River H-275 Kelsey Bay Kenworths H-03 Kelsey Bay H-05 Kelsey Bay H-35 Kelsey Bay H-36 Kelsey Bay H-48 Kelsey Bay H-52 Kelsey Bay H-53 Kelsey Bay H-79 Kelsey Bay H-80 Kelsey Bay H-81 Kelsey Bay H-322 Kelsey Bay Hayes H-37 Eve River H-293 Eve River H-295 Eve River H-297 Eve River Log Loaders L-10 Rubber Tired long boom ( Beautiful machine)Kelsey Bay Madill L-32 Rubber Tired Eve River L-33-Rubber tired. Operator got a hydraulic loader and wanted same number L-33 Hitachi Eve River L-34 Eve River American L-76 Eve River L-71 Eve River Super snorkel Sunk into Johnstone straights off of capsized TLT barge. L-181 Kelsey Bay super snorkel Madill L-131 Kelsey Bay (Thunder chicken) L-144 Kelsey Bay (TBird) L-163 Kelsey Bay (TBird) L-166 Kelsey Bay Tbird L-53 Kelsey Bay Rubber tired L-40 Kelsey Bay Rubber Tired L-101 Rubber tired Kelsey L-103- Rubber tired Kelsey Bay. Still in use at Dyer Logging when they can find operator for it L-326 Long pole Menzies Bay (Had long pole from what seemed like engine room and short steel stub straight out at top of boom. Funny looking thing but Bob Perkins got wood with it. L-332 Rubber Tired Menzies Bay L-333 Hydraulic Menzies L-334 Rubber tried hydraulic chapman. They used it for running between two towers. L-251 Supersnorkel Menzies Bay Madill L-336 Menzies Hitachi L-335 Menzies Cats E-115 Still being used at Mid Island WFP Kelsey Bay originally E-57 Eve River Graders M-22 Eve River M-101 Eve River M-47 Kelsey Bay M-49 Kelsey Bay Yarders Y-247-Menzies American Y-248 Menzies Amercian Still active at Mid Island Y-12 Eve River 044 Y-57 Eve River 044 Y-03 Ever River 144 Y-100 Kelsey Bay 124 Still active at Mid Island Y-14 Kelsey Bay Y-19 Kelsey Bay Y-31 Kelsey Bay Y-51 Kelsey Bay Y-52 Kelsey Bay Y-53 Kelsey bay J-73 Eve River(Not the same machine as in Sprout Lake pictures) J-99 Eve River (slackline machine) J-11 Eve River (Slackline Machine) J-103 Eve River Skagit J-20 Kelsey Bay Skagit J-22 Kelsey Bay skagit J-23 Kelsey Bay skagit J-158 Kelsey Bay J-58- Kelsey Bay J-119 Kelsey Bay J-78 Kelsey Bay (Built in Kelsey shop as a grapple tower) J-273 Menzies Bay J-274 Menzies Bay
Awesome, so Y-100 went to KBD. IF that is the one we had, Dad thought it was the Y-124. ???? It wasn't here long, and got exchanged for the "WEYCO-1" soon after its arrival. I remember the first one had four guylines, and everyone was complaining about that. The WEYCO-1 had two guylines. "WEYCO-1"..... Sounds like something Rogel & Co. would be flying on.
Curse! I tried to amend my list, and you can only edit a post for 60 minutes!
<> Happened here in the states too. And it wasn't all foreign companies either. John Hancock Insurance bought out Scott Paper Company's holdings back in the mid/late eighties and raped it. Logged timber that should have been left to grow another twenty or twenty-five years. Logged it right down to the blacktop. All for a quick return. That Englishman, I forget his name did the same thing on the peninsula with Crown Z's holdings.
Is Hancock Insurance also the parent company of Hancock Industries, who bought some of Weyco's holdings? If so, it sounds like the Weyco employees who were affected were dumped out of the frying pan, and in to the fire.
I'm not sure, but I believe so. I never had much to do with Weyco. I worked at Scott Paper out of Granite Falls, WA in the early/mid-80's, up to the time they shut down their Granite Falls and Hamilton operations. I never felt like I was dumped from the frying pan into the fire though. Scott was a good place to work right up until the time I was laid off. I have no ill will at all,
Yes, Hancock is the insurance group, they are actually a timber management group vs. a true land ownership company, I do not know how the mechanics work, but that is their definition. What killed Weyerhaeuser at Snoqualmie and White River was lack of big timber and mechanization. When I left in 1978 we had built roads into the last of the holdings, and road construction was winding down to road maintenance in a couple of years. Logging with a tower and a 10-man crew was also winding down. Now, one or two men in the brush, three operators on the landing and lots of air-conditioned machinery. I was lucky enough to get out a decade before everyone else. Jim 1960, did you ever cross paths with Norm Schaff? When Scott closed down, he was I believe Contract Logging Supervisor out of Hamilton. He is now with M&R.
Hey Jumbo, did you know Ford Bentley from White River? He took a promotion to Cutting Crew Supervisor in about 1969, and went to work for my dad at Vail. Good people, that gent. he sold me my first saw, a Homelite 5-30N.
I never met him. I've heard the name though.
Back to pictures.
SP: The truck in Post #307 looks like a remnant from the Mount St. Helens eruption, and bears a striking resemblance to one the I have seen before, on display a short distance from the mountain.
I am stumped what kind of truck is that?
075; I think it's a KW, not a MB truck but Weyco when looking at door
It's a KW, and an ex-Weyco fire truck, that's for sure. I know there was a lot of equipment damaged in the blast, but I doubt there were too many fire trucks with an upside-down stump shoved through the windshield. Was this photo taken in Canada, or perhaps in the St. Helens area?
This wasn't the thread I thought I posted this in.
Sproat Lake shop - dispatchers wall I have decomposed one of two pic's of pic's from dispatcers wall at Sproat Lake shop, hope it should be possible to recognize both someone and some trucks out of them... sorry about the quality, sombody there in PA probably have all this pictures if they not still there on the wall?
Sproat Lake shop - dispatchers wall (2) Second picture of pic's, even more bad quality...
Sproat Lake shop - dispatchers wall (3) ...two more...
Has anyone ever tracked down MMB equipment by number/type/serial # and done a where are they now spreadsheet? We have been working won a SW Washington Weyco one,
Some I Recognize.... I remember wandering into the old dispatchers shack back in the day - the man who ran the place was Stan Bugden - a very nice fellow. Any chance these photos stayed on the wall after all was said and done? I think that I recognize Ed Spencer - brother of Alec in one of the shots. Many of the Pacific truck shots come from after the time I left the operation. The only Pacifics that we had when I was there were the H323, H324, H325 & H326 which were brand new preloads bought in 1976. I've seen pics of H323 after it moved on to another up-Island operation but whatever happened to the rest - does anyone know? I remember the L134 Loader pictured above. It was run by Rick Chatwin for years and I spent many a day with that thing in the landing loading out our wood. I hope someone else chimes in on this fine display of shots from the past. Thank you TorkelH for posting these.
MMB numbers and the dispatcher Jeremy! I have taken the information from BTC and trakloader in this thread and started working on a spreadsheet ala the Weyco list. I guess HDX and Hayesno1 have some more information... Jackd, I hoped you would recognize someone - again sorry for the quality. Here's a picture of the dispatcher when I took the pictures. A very nice man as I remember. This dispatchers office was up above the shop in the corner facing Coulson.
Alvin was still driving truck when I was there - great guy and according to HDX still enjoying life in retirement. I see some of the old numbers on a few of the trucks that I remember - H-154 (driven by 'Blacky Haracka'?) and the H-188 (possibly driven by George Glazier - there are shots of this one being scrapped up in Campbell River in later years). These trucks were pretty new when I was there. I'll pore over these shots tonight when I get a chance. It might be an idea for someone to head over to the old shop and see if all these shots might still be up on the wall and rescue them.
Re. #H188; Well I took those pics at Tom Turners place in CR Y2000. I think cab has been saved but I am not sure.
TorkelH; I will try to add my few information(sorry just trucks but fire and dump trucks as well - I think lists we have seen so far are missing that some units get a 2.nd. or 3.rd life) in upcoming days from my database. I will e-mail list to HDX and for sure he can add further information. I would like to do spreadsheets on BCFP and CZ units as well but I guess we have to wait - summer has arrived in Norway, Canada and Denmark
Looking forward to seeing your data when it comes through. These second and third incarnations are very interesting from the perspective of where the machines wound up after the great sell off of equipment that HDX speaks of. When I saw the pics of H-188 getting scrapped out several years ago on the Truck website, I was taken aback. I thought the old girl was still relatively new when they took her apart but after seeing the H-110 this last week in Sqamish, I realize that time and poor care have not been kind to some of these units.
Jackd, if you go to PA, would you mind go out there to the Sproat lake shop and check if still the pic's remain in the corner office? They moved the dispatcher up to the dryland sort behind the shop early 2000, I can not remember any pic's there. Maybe easier is to ask Alvin if he brought the pic's with him, maybe HDX are able to find out? It would be something to get scanned and fill up this thread with!
I'll See... I'll see if I can give this a shot for you TorkelH when I do get over there. This best be done before they decide to rip the old shop down, which is what I heard might be happening if the present tenants leave -according to one of the mechanics that spoke to me. Family matters are going to take a front row when I am there but you never know.... HDX could probably ask Alvin Roth what happened to these shots - hell he might even pass them along to HDX if he has them.
jackd George did have the H188 for a long time but was given an new P16 unit #H16 and he retired driving her TorkelH I was told that the pictures were taken down and stuffed in a box and are now being stored at the Steelworkers Hall (old IWA Hall) in the basement Will make a few calls and see what turns up OK
P-16's - How Many? So did M & B go on a big spending spree and buy new Pacific trucks in the '80s to replace many of the older Hayes HDX units? Was there a big rush to get these things before Pacific closed its doors? It would be great if you could post these old pics if the local union hall would temporarily part with them, HDX. I remember that our old first aid man - Ben Schaefer spent many a day taking shots of the operation back in the '70s. Some of my shots came from his collection. I heard that he has since passed on and I now wonder if his collection was also passed on to the local hall. I still call it Local 1-85 of the IWA - I could never get around the Steelworkers label.
jackd Yes in 1989 M&B went nuts buying Pacific trucks I think all the major Divisions got a few also we got a pair of Challengers one was a glider both were convetionals Sproat Lake got a Pre-Load challenger It was involved in a few accidents and then a bad one and they cut it up. Will see what happens with those pictures at the IWA Hall
They Must Have Had Plans.... So here we are climbing out of the recession of the early '80s and the company decides to go crazy on new trucks? Was everything else getting pretty long in the tooth? I took a ride down the south side of Taylor Arm a couple of years ago along the old main line. I wanted to see how bad that slide was that had wiped out a whole section of road a couple of years previous. At the base of Branch 540 sat a bunch of loggers in a six pack waiting for a loaded truck to come down. I sat there and BS'ed with them and soon enough out came a red Challenger truck heading toward the dryland sort. It might have been a Dane truck but it sure looked like a M & B paint scheme. Good to see after many years of not being around this kind of environment - warms a guy's heart.
Did it have "DANE" on the door????
I seem to remember seeing that but who knows if my recall is correct. They were hauling out of some cutblock way out back of 540 that had been auctioned off by the Provincial Government - part of the dismemberment of the TFL. This is what the boys told me. A real bugger of a spot - so steep that they were snubbing the trucks down with a cat. The lovely location must have been why M & B left it alone in the first place.
H320 and ?, H279 an S64E and an eagle... Picture's from 1993, helicopter is from Taylor Arm (500 somewhere).
I remember the H-279 but the H-320 seems to be a stranger to the camp - nothing we had there had that massive M & B logo on the front grill. (HDX don't give me hell for calling it a grill...) Where did it come from? The landing that your shots are taken at seems to look like this road was part of the old 'switchbacks' - the early road to Tofino before they built the highway along the lake back in '72. I remember that there were some stands up above the 'Second Bridge' that had been left as fire breaks. Looks like very nice wood they were taking out.
Pretty sure H-320 was at Franklin, forgot to write it. Picture looks like it's just outside Franklin. Found out it she was at Cameron after looking here: HeavyEquipmentForums . Helicopter picture is from old Tofino road/end of Taylor arm.
Yes #320 was a Franklin truck. She came in 1974 with H316, H317, H318, H319 and H321. They were all preloaders. Only H316 has been scrapped. They rest are still in operation, parked or for sale.
For sure Red and White looks best - here 2 pics of old M&B GMC crummy/safety unit - this truck was from Franklin River. Pics were taken last summer at Cameron. Present owner unknown
Jackd; Re the big "M" at rad guard, it is not a big "M" but silhouette of two women
Two Franklin 044's I have pictures of 4 different 044's at Franklin, but I'm only able to recognize the numbers on two of them; Y-50, tag, and Y-55 which is a double main. Seems that all the Franklin 044's had cab riser but not the Sproat Lake?
That You? So TorkelH, who is that guy standing by the Yarder in the cardigan minus the hardhat - is it you? Those are some well used machines in those shots - even the lettering at the back of the Y-55 looks shoddy. Maybe this was the way it was at the end of the road for M & B. I still remember going into the paint shop at the Sproat shops looking at all the jobs underway - there was never a shortage of red paint to spray. When things got damaged, as working equipment would tend to do, the repairs were top notch and the red paint glistened.
I remember them buying a few of those Thomas built buses for crummies. The suspensions were a little bit harsh and the guys didn't like them at first. They couldn't change the springing in them - probably designed for pavement use - so they went for some high end tire that softened them out a bit.
TorkelH: Keep on posting those 044 pictures. I can't get enough of them, especially in red and white. Thanks.
He he, thats the Norwegian forest engineering professor and researcher Ivar Samset, He's 75 at that picture from 1993, and he's still going strong now at the age of 93. He and his associates did great developments in the scandinavian logging machinery and chain saw ergonomics during the fifties.
Sorry Torkel, Ivan looked so (how can I say it) European and so I naturally thought that this might be you. Going hard at it at 93 is he? Here's hoping that we have the same durability at he has. Me thinks my hard working body will not last me another 40 years.
Y-66 Y-66? Was this a Sproat Lake yarder?
TorkelH? Hello Torkel! Is there any chance that you could post that manufacturer's list of Madill 044's that you posted a few months back - you did it in Excel format. I went back through the threads and found them but now they don't come up - I only get an error message. I'm curious at to BTC's question about the Y-66 and if it was a Sproat Lake machine - it might state it right in your list.
The reason i asked was because we are falling a yarder block and this is the machine that showed up. You can still see the Y-66 on it and obviously it has the old red and white faded paint. It has the same basic features as what i see from looking at Y-50
Any sign of the M & B logo or the smaller Sproat Lake Division name on it?
I have no pictures of Y-66, the list of 044's don't give any numbers of Franklin/Sproat yarders. BTC, is the yarder you are falling for a high rise cab? Is it a dbl main (easy to see, it have 2 big fairleads close to top of tower in addition to the haulback fairlead on top). I have pictures of 2 dbl mains from Franklin, Y-55 and one unknown. In addition I have picture of Y-50 which is a tag and at least 1 more unknown tag. From Sproat I have pictures of 2 dbl mains, Y-18, which I made hours of video of, and Y-02. Y-01 was a Cypress 7280, loader here was L124, a Cat 235. I have also videos and pic's of a spar, the former Kelsey Bay yarder J-20 (Skagit BU-98 sp). It was operating with a hydraulic loader L 38. By the way MMB had 30 -thirthy- 044's. When first getting into numbers I have been able to decode some others: I have pic's of 3 046's taken in Franklin somewhere: J17paired with L26 (Cypress 7230 with boom), J133 (the one from the pic's eith carrier/yarder standing parallell to tower) paired with L161 (Cypress/American with boom) and J21 with a Madill 075 snorkel. That was the 3 046's operating in Franklin, the newest (I would guess J21) was purchased by MMB Cameron, the other 2 Franklin. MMB only had 4 046's but one burnt up. Jackd, the list is in the dropbox, it's an Excel spread sheet, have been there all along. BTC - hope you can take some pic's of Y-66, or at least try getting the serial. It's on a plate under the cab or it also may be on the maintenance chart on the cab door inside.
Familiar Machines. The Y-02 was an older double main drum machine from my time at Sproat Lake Division. It actually worked out of the Taylor Arm area and was several years older than my Y-35 and looked it. It eventually caught fire in around 1980/81 - I actually went out and had a look at it and I figured it was good for scrap. If you had the pleasure of seeing it at a later stage then it is my guess that they rebuilt it and put it back in service. The L-124 was a track equipped American with a long boom on it that they bought in around 1978 for cherry picking on right of ways. I've posted a picture of it previously. From my time there, the only other '044 was the Y-11 (if my memmory serves me right). I found those Excell documents and they wouldn't open - I only got error messages.
My partner & I loaded a burnt 044 or 144 out of a short spur in Kennedy Div years ago. Don't know if it was this machine. Didn't seem that long ago but time flies. It apparently caught fire when they were solvent spraying the engine and shorted something with the spray wand and the solvent mist went BOOM. It was quite a process to get it on the lowbed with no power. We put in new pots on the carrier brakes and external air to release maxies and apply service brakes. It was downhill to the lowbed so had a cat both pushing and snubbing to get it moving and keep it from running over the truck cab once it got on the smooth trailer deck. It went to Kennedy shop where we split it to go to Nanaimo. As I recall the machinery deck was all scraped as there was a lot of warpage in the winch frame and the floor of the deck. The carrier may have been salvaged I can't recall. I went thru my old service notes looking for a S/N but they are incomplete. I was so busy running my *** of in those days some things just never got logged in to my personal record book. Also who knew that someday other people would be interested in all this day to day stuff or there would be such an easy way to share it. Regards D.D.
Good story. I couldn't imagine trying to load a powerless Madill on a low bed. I still remember the hair raising moments of watching the operator unloading the Y-35 from the low-bed in the dark with only a few flashlights held in the hands of trembling people to mark his path. This was when we moved it from the Ash River valley down to the winter show in Macktush Creek - it took all day to get there and we arrived after dark in the winter. I can still see that monster doing its bit... From what I remember, the Y-02 burnt out Taylor River right around where the Tofino highway crosses the river somewhere on Br. 500 or there abouts. She was an oily old pig and must have made pretty colours when she went up in flames. My guess would be that both Sproat Lake & Kennedy Lake each had the honour of burning one up. My guess is that if you have warpage in the major structural components, it must have been pretty close to a write off. But maybe in those days these machines were more valuable than now.
Jackd, I will post some more pictures of Y-02 tomorrow, it looks pretty well in 1997 so it might or might not be the same machine. When it comes to the Excel sheet I will make a text file and put in the dropbox, it may be easier to read. The Y-18 may have been one of the last one built because of the design of the gauges inside the cab, then it came to Sproat after you left.
The Y-02 was solid M & B red back in the day. It never had the white cab which they usually put on most of their machines. Maybe you could post the link to the drop box again - thanks for doing this.
Y02 Here's the Y02 i have pictures of, from Sproat Lake
L129, H160 and H114 At the same place, first and fourth pic shows H160 - Challenger the other is H114.
More L129 more..
Sproat Lake Y18 This is the same yarder as in my Youtube videos from Taylor arm
Y01 and L124 I'm pretty sure this pictures was taken in Sproat. I'm not sure about the 7280, MMB didn't have too many of those... Loader is a Caterpillar
Some more Sproat Lake pics H325, H324, some guys, H66 and H325 again
Way to go Torkel. I knew you had more pictures hidden away. Sure like those L129 pictures. I think the super snorkel was one of the most innovative inventions that loggers ever thought of, besides the grapple yarder that is. DBDLS.
The Franklin 046's I have pictures of 3 Madill 046's at Franklin: First J133 and L161, J17 and L26 and J21 and unknown 075 Loader
Franklin 046's cont J21...
Unknown Franklin 044's Winter shots from Franklin, this is a dbl main but not Y55. The one from helicopter is a tag, unknown location. Couple of Franklin shop pics.
L58 - Super snorkel in Franklin L58
I must agree in that! This rush was partly for you DBDLS, I have published some of these pic's on HEF before. If you want shots from my videos I have a hours of Y55 and Y18!
J20 - Kelsey Bay Found one more picture from cab of J20, before and after...
Feel Like I'm Going Back Well Torkel, everytime you start posting one of these major series of shots, I feel myself going back in time. There's nothing quite like being up on a sidehill during a snowy winter's day to get whiff of the cold air, diesel exhaust , and evergreen trees. The air would be so still, you would get a sense of your remoteness from everyone else. I remember wolf howls in the back end while yarding out Ash River and hoped to hell they weren't getting closer. Always a couple of Ravens flying over the guy lines to catch your attention. Your shots of the snow covered landing made me feel 20 years old again. The shots of H-324 & H-325 were something I haven't seen in many years as well. If I remember the H-323 & the H-324 came with the rounded tube bumper, whereas the H-325 & H-326 had the square built up bumpers. They all came within months of each other and I always wondered why the differences. Beautiful trucks they were. The only guy I recognized is the smiling Barry Forbses. The Y-02 shot has me scratching my head. I definitely remember it as being solid red in colour and a darker colour than the usual M & B variety. It could have been all of the grease and oil that gave it a darker hue. The machine undercarraige seems to bring me to think that it might be from the original one. Thanks for your shots.
Burnt 144 Thought everyone would like to see a couple of pictures I took of the Kennedy Lake 144's burnt machinery deck and engine sub frame back when 144's ruled (sorry about the prejudice Trakloader) and burned.
How long is that Super Snorkel, man it looks like it is awful long. Great pictures thanks for sharing them with us, very enjoyable.
Thats the yarder refered to in my post#349. Pics taken in Madill Nan. yard. Do you have a date when they were taken? Really glad to see these posted. Thanks. Regards D.D.
Wrong Number. Torkel - I now have a different idea about the burnt out Yarder out at Taylor Division. It wasn't the Y-02 - I gave it a re-think and I am quite sure that it was the Y-102. I was only a hundred numbers out - anyone can be wrong.... Does this ring a bell with your records?
Heres two pictures of L58 as she was this spring here in Port McNeill. Not as nice looking as she once was.That snorkel that is on it when it was newer, is a Micron 120 foot folding snorkel. The last of the really good snorkels made, you can pull really hard on it and it will not foldup like the three section or four sections one will on you. And it fold in half for lowbeding ,with the other ones you have to take sections off to move most places
Great to see that machine again, thank you 075. Many 044's up there too?
About a have dozen or so still working on the North Island that I know of.
Kennedy Lake 144 D.D. this question is going back to the analog days of photography when there wasn't all kinds of information to go along with the picture. I'm estimating that it was taken somewhere around 1994 or 1995. Like you said, "Who would have known there would be any interest in all this years down the road?" I thought Madill was going to be around forever, along with 144's and 075 log loaders and MacMillan Bloedel. It broke my heart when Weyerhaeuser destroyed MB and again when Madill went bankrupt. I hope that Nicholson can bring Madill back and keep them alive. It's a little bit of history that I would like to see carry on. DBDLS
Weyco is certainly not the company it was when my dad joined them at Twin Harbors in the early Fifties. They have broken a lot of people's hearts in recent years, including many of their own retirees. My dad made an interesting statement the other day. H said he thinks the St. Hlens eruption was the beginning of a slow, agonizing downfall for Weyco. He worked with a lot of good people at Twin Harbors and Vail. Those were the days.
Thanks DBLS, I would have thought around the early to mid 90s too but time goes by way too fast. Wish I had kept better notes on all the field service jobs I did but at the time I thought I'd never forget all the details so it was kind of hit and miss. Good notes for a few months and then just overwhelmed with too many jobs in too short a time. In hindsight I should have photocopied all my service reports after I wrote them. At least they were all written on company time. Too late now tho. Regards D.D.
Cameron Yard I can never resist taking a pic of the old Red and White colours. Taken this weekend in the Cameron Division yard. The gate was slightly open so I snuck in on my motorbike and wandered around and took shots.
jackd I see that old H110 is for sale over in Squamish Maybe didnt work out doing what the fellow wanted to do She is up for grabs with the 60 Ton trailer 35,000 bones A little high but depends on how bad you need a 1972 HDX
Where is this For Sale listing? When I talked to the owner, he was mentioning selling off the whole business and calling her a day. He's been at it many years and done well in his line of business - best go on to other things. On my first visit, there was much effort being put towards a Kenworth highway truck with a box on the back. I was told that this Kenworth was spinning out on the hills and therefore the HDX was going to be converted to take its place. On my second visit, I spied the 'Green Monster' - the old Kenworth coal truck being readied for service. My guess is that the Kenworth was a lot less work to get going than converting the HDX to these rock haul duties. The HDX was pretty filthy on the inside and the outside has what we call in my industry ' a five gallon overhaul' (crappy paint) and so I imagine that $35K could be a little high. What's the going price on these thing now and how much were they when they were new?
jackd Craigs List Vancouver Sad thing is thats probably what he got into her I know she does not have her original trailer because I own it and am going to paint it and put it behind my 1973 WHD Hayes I have your list almost ready to post as you requested about the Sproat Hayes's
I never would have thought of looking on Craigslist for these kind of items. Question: Are trailers S/N's matched to the S/N's of the the trucks when they leave the factory? I didn't see the forward bunk laying around the yard when I was there, so I imagine that is something that wouldn't be included in the sale. I'm looking forward to seeing the list of the Sproat Lake Div. hauling units. I'll be doing some mental gymnastics when I get to the ones of my era, when I try to match each truck with a long forgotten face & name of a driver. I'm pretty sure that Torkel and several others are waiting to see this list as well. I'm making another plan to head back to Port in September, might make the effort to head out to Sarita this time. I also might head out to Kennedy Lake to look at what Coulson has out there. It's always good weather in the Valley during the Indian summer - I still miss the smell of the slash burning that time of year - don't get that in the city and if you do have it, people complain.
jackd When a truck ordered with a trailer and the truck was given its serial number prior to being built The trailer was given the following serial number So if your truck serial number was 3091457 then the trailer would be serial number 3091458 The only time this changed was with a multi truck order of two or more trucks then the truck serial numbers would all follow each other and the trailer serial numbers would follow after them
jackd Are you sure the bunk was NOT on her and just turned fore and aft The picture from C/L shows it but this pic was taken at the R/B auction Im sure if the bunk is there it will go with her Just a case of lifting it back onto the truck and putting the "Horseshoe" back on the pin
jackd It took too long but here we go Sproat Lake Division Hayes Trucks: 1954 H83 HD 27-70 Cummins engine
1954 H83 HD Offset cab 275 HP Cummins H84 HD Offset cab 275HP Cummins 1956 H103 HD Offset cab 250HP Rolls Royce engine H104 HD Offset cab 250 HP Rolls Royce engine 1958 H40 HD Centermount cab 270 HP Rolls Royce H41 HD Centermount cab 270 HP Rolls Royce H34 HD Centermount cab 270 HP Rolls Royce all 3 trucks delivered Apr/58 1965 H14 HDX delivered Feb 4 1965 V12 GM engine H13 HDX delivered Feb 6 1965 V12 GM engine H11 WHDX delivered Mar 10/65 V12 Cummins engine H09 WHDX delivered Mar30/65 V12 Cummins engine H18 WHDX delivered April 8/65 V12 Cummins engine H132 WHDX delivered July 2 /65 V12 Cummins engine This was the first PreLoad truck at Sproat Lake H131 WHDX delivered Aug 5/65 V12 Cummins engine This was also a PreLoad 1966 H08 WHDX delivered June 23/66 V12 Cummins engine This was a conventional H10 WHDX delivered June 28/66 V12 Cummins engine Conv truck H12 WHDX delivered July 6/66 V12 Cummins engine Conventional H24 WHDX delivered Aug 17/66 V12 Cummins engine Convetional 1967 H278 HDX delivered Sept 6/67 V12 Cummins engine Conventional Truck H279 HDX delivered Sept 7/67 V12 Cummins engine 1972 H186 HDX delivered July 2/72 V12 GM engine H187 HDX delivered July 19/72 V12 GM engine H188 HDX delivered July 21/72 V12 GM engine H189 HDX delivered July 21/72 V12 GM engine H190 HDX delivered Aug2/72 V12 GM engine 1973 H153 HDX delivered June 11/73 V12 GM engine H154 HDX delivered Aug 7/73 V12 GM engine 1974 H73 HDX delivered July 31/74 V12 GM engine H74 HDX delivered Aug 8/74 V12 GM engine H75 HDX delivered Aug 29/74 V12 GM engine H76 HDX delivered Sept 4/74 V12 GM engine This was to be the last Hayes Truck delivered to Sproat Lake Division by Hayes There was other trucks taken on there but all were used and surplused from other divisions such as the Line Horse and some trucks from Franklin like H60 and a few others Hope this rings some bells Enjoy
No Bunk Here's a shot from earlier on this summer and there was no bunk. He might have it laying in amongst his junk, but I didn't see anything red poking out of anywhere. Remember his plan was to put a rock box on it and haul pumice and then he came upon that old Kenworth. Thanks for the list. I can remember most of the numbers from the H-76 up until the H-278 and then they become more obscure. The H-09 also rings a bell because it was one of the old spares and I think that it spent alot of the time hauling the lowbed. There were lots of old Hayes parked around the camp as fire trucks and am I right in assuming that these were converted from the earlier Hayes units purchased from the late '50s through to the mid '60s? I will give this a real going over this week and try to match names to trucks. Hmmm....
I see the top ears on the water tank and the saddle have been cut off Must have been too high for the lowbed to move so height had be reduced Hope whoever buys her see that The pin is still there for the bunk so it must be around there somewhere The hard thing to find now is the "Horseshoe" that holds the bunk on Upon closer inspection the saddle is laying on the rear deck just has to be welded back in place
HDX; Thank you for posting great list of MB Hayes trucks from MB Sproat Lake Div. Very interesting. Here a few shots of #H188 being scrapped in 2000 at Tom Turners place in CR. Last pic shows cab from old #H134. This migth be MB Port McNeil Div. truck???
Preliminary Analysis I've been going through the Sproat Lake list and a few memmories come to mind. Was the H-11 the truck that was converted to the J-73 yarder? I remember the H-10 and the H-09 running around the claim (the drivers might have been B Vermette, Bob Mowatt and 'Horsey'). H-73 was driven by Frank Wesslin and I remember a story about this truck heading out to the woods & pulling into a wide spot on Stirling Arm main for some reason. While backing up, the truck went over the bank right into the lake and this was because the brakes weren't adjusted correctly (this happened just before I showed up on the claim). I remember the H-74 & H-75 but I can't put my finger on the H-76. (I think Alec Spencer drove the H-75) The H186 was the truck driven by George Glazier and I remember the H-187 thru H-190 as well. H-278 & H279 were also common sights. I never saw any pre-load Hayes so I imagine that the H-132 was gone by then. And the rest just don't ring a bell but maybe they will if I stare at the list long enough....
Jackd, that is absolutely the same http://www.hayestruckclub.org/RegDetail.php?SN=5032738 . By the way this truck/yarder is in the first pic of the Madill thread!
I was working in the shops at Sproat Lake just before the J-73 showed up on the claim in 1977 - the website link above states that this machine was created in these shops. That statement was incorrect because my understanding was that M & B provided the H-11 to Madill down in Nanaimo and they put all the machinery (brand new) on it. It had another drum on it for a 'tag line' so this machine was specifically designed to run a 'shot gun carriage'. Even in that day and age, they were starting to think about fuel economy and could see savings by letting gravity do the work of bringing the rigging out into the setting. We did it for about a year before we went to the standard '3 bullhook butt rigging' and ran her like every other high lead Madill we had on the claim. I worked on that machine extensively.
Found some pictures on facebook of what I believe is the Franklin Madill 143 (hydraulic tracks). In Seattle, on it's way to the East coast(!) http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...23174958500_1215872087_32383560_5033434_n.jpg
So they just lashed it onto the deck without even pulling off the boom? How long ago did this happen and where was it heading?
H 204 Kenworth 849RF s/n 82046 old M&B unit, had the under slung type springs, was told that it was 1970 that they changed that design to high mount. Don't know its story, just ended up in Andy's yard.
Okay, Greatwestcam, you are THE MAN! You found old H-204, one of only two 849RF's used at QCD! AND you found old Morreau Trucking #39, and I see our old H-162 has been found, too. I am AMAZED!
So are you saying I should get out more?
Heres a few I got of the same truck,Cam and I travel in the same circle
OK Here's the Squamish Divisions Trucks 1952 H58 off-set cab HD 30-70 H67 off-set cab HD 30-70 1954 H77 centermount cab HD 30-70 H78 Centermount cab HD 30-70 1956 H138 centermount cab HD 30-70 H139 centermount cab HD 30-70 H137 centermount cab HD 30-70 1957 H114 centermount cab HD 25-70 1967 H274 WHDX 43-90 H275 WHDX 43-90 H276 WHDX 43-90 H277 WHDX 43-90 1968 H155 WHDX 43-98 H156 WHDX 43-98 H157 WHDX 43-98 H158 WHDX 43-98 There is some video footage of H155 being delivered to Squamish Division brand new on you-tube just type in 1968 WHDX Hayes being delivered
Sorry you guys its H157 Too many truck numbers for a friday nite The fellow that posted this short film worked for Hayes and was the test driver for many years He is going to post some more when time permits
HDX; Thank you for posting list - very interesting as usual - looking forward to see more video from "Hayes test driver"
look what this video game has a macblo hayes hdx lookalike [video=youtube;OslyI1GclbE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OslyI1GclbE[/video]
MacMillan Bloedell equipment number list Here's an (incomplete) Excel speadsheet of MacMillan Bloedell equipment, made with info from this thread. Feel free to update! https://skydrive.live.com/redir.asp...B65E7D5E9159A16C!344&authkey=!AFVOldc83bLq0EY
TorkelH How do we add names and info to this list????
Names It would be nice to be able to put the names of the men who spent time on these machines.
TorkelH; Thanks for sharing the MB list. Here is picture I got many years ago - sorry I can´t remember from whom. It looks like Franklin with those trucks(look at bumpers) - 3 preloads and 2 standard configuration. Not the best phote but maybe someone can identify some of the men
HDX - If you open in "web-Excel" it should be an edit button on top of the page. Then make sure you go down after the last row (after I added your Squamish trucks it's 291) and just write. It should save automaticly. I have already added all the information from this thread. BTC - it's a column for driver, and 2 for remarks, just put in all info you have (ex link to web, histories etc)
First truck in line is H317 and #4 is H319 and #5 is H17 will look at old pics taken about this time and try and remember what truck had the white stripes painted on backwards It seems to me that Cal Smith painted them on not long after he got on the H110 (third truck in line ) and the second truck im working on Picture was taken in about 1977 because that is when Karl (H317) got the twin turbo V12 GM engine installed note the hood side panel has been modified to allow for the turbos(first truck in the line) These were tourists posing on the trucks cause we never had any hairy drivers and no lady drivers although some were often called that due to driving habits
Amazing! Here's some video of MB Pacific's from Franklin div H55 and H65 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqqUkH9camc&feature=related and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHpzsEmSUtA&feature=related
TorkelH That truck is/was actually H155 It looks like H55 but there is a "1" in front of there Funny that Jack Cote was driving it Must have been during a winter layoff because that was Al Coopers truck and the preload dumping behind him at the dryland was Al Horton with H232 P16 Both these drivers and H232 were from Cameron Division-- H155 was a Franklin River Division truck and part of Sarita was the winter show for Cameron Division. Cote usually drove the Mack highway truck at Cameron Division (H68)
So Al Cooper was a Cameron driver. When did the two divisions merge? Did you guys share china creek when you were two separate divisions? I remember falling in Walbran and Carmanah and the trucks all hauled to china creek. Must have been one trip per day, can't really remember.
BTC No Al was originally a Sarita driver Here's how it worked Franklin River was the main logging camp Sarita was a satellite camp down the Alberni Canal only way in and out was by boat In 1958 the decision was made to build the road and join the two camps together and then Franklin became the biggest logging camp . Sarita had no rail logging and it was all truck hauled M&B had already started pulling up all the rail track and converting over to all truck logging at Franklin -- There was a small trucking operation going on down in the Nitinat where they were reloading from the trucks to rail so all this was torn up and replaced with truck roads All hauling was done to Coleman Dump down on the canal 7 miles from Camp "B" In 1966 M&B started a new Division called Cameron only 5 miles from Port Alberni. M&B working with the IWA decided that Cameron would be also manned by Franklin employees so all the senior guys went to Cameron-- shorter day etc This was a nightmare for layoffs because then the senior guy would bump back and forth during layoffs and you never really knew where you would be working in the winter Cameron was opened up with the theory that it would be a 20 year camp and then it would be phased out because of log inventories. That was not to be In 1975 Sarita was again split apart from Franklin because the operating area of Franklin was just so big with the all new areas called Carmanah/Haddon/Walbran and Roseander opening up it was overpowering. Sarita built a new Dryland Sort and Mike Murphy built a new shop and they were in business. The Franklin equipment was split in half and so became Sarita Division. Things stayed good until the market downturns in1980 then Sarita was closed and came back together with Franklin. The dryland and shop remained however.Over time the logging was more in the Franklin /Carmannah area so Sarita kind of eased off. While Sarita was active as a division they got several new trucks (all P16s) H40 in 76-H64 H65--H66 in 77 and H67 with the new 3408 cat engine as well as some new equipment 988 cat stackers etc. It was during this period that Al Cooper started and broke in driving. In 1985 M&B management ( Dent Tuckey and Bob Findlay) decided to bring in ALL THE CONTRACTORS in TFL44 into Franklin and cream the long distance wood Carmanah Walbran Haddon. Then the strike of 1986 hit -After that was over all was fair game and in 1987 88 89 Coleman Dump averaged 10,000 loads a year with a load average of 120 meters per load We knew this because we had to nail a metal tag on every load that was numbered So in addition to all this wood Sarita was dumping and Spencer Dump was still dumping in the winter and so was China Creek Kind of puts in in perspective as to volume of logs per day over the browlog/deck Anyway in the late 90s Cameron was blended into the mix so to speak and we all became one big family (LOL) Management decided that they would close the Coleman Dump and haul direct to China Creek Dryland Sort (The Cameron Dryland) because of the added cost of dewatering the Coleman/ Sarita dumped wood.Jan 2003 was the end of Franklin when Weyerheauser sold the division to Hayes Forest Services of Duncan. This deal ended in Dec 2007 Now we are Island Pacific Logging and doing just fine. We did lose ALL of the Cameron Area to Northwest Bay Division in 2005 so we are bunched up down in Sarita Area again Funny how history repeats itself Long winded answer but there it is !!!
That is quite the explanation, HDX - thanks for that. Sproat Division in my day was split up into Cous, Taylor and Ash subdivisions, with a common seniority list, but separate marshalling yards. They threw us into one operating group in '79 and that was what carried on until even after I left in '82. You know much more than I do about what happened afterwards. Torkel - thanks for the list. I'm hoping to add some yarding equipment to the list when time allows - I'll send you an e-mail and you can plunk it in. Good to see some Mac & Blo postings on the site again.
Yes I found it was time to take up the thread again! Happy new year btw! And thank you HDX for giving the explanation about Franklin/Sarita/Cameron. Jackd, do you know if you had one of the tension skidders (huge, track mtd Madills) in Sproat? I know they must have had one or two in Franklin, but I never seen a picture of them.
Thank you for that HDX, it certainly is funny how history repeats. I first started working in that part of the world in the mid 90"s so the Cameron A-Sticks were still there but in active. I was always curious about Franklin as my grandfather started his working career as a faller when he returned from the Korean war in that division. I didn't realize that Squamish was even an M+B division prior to reading it on here. Had a really good cup of coffee with my old buddy this morning discussing it. Still has all his thoughts even at 94. Spent his entire working career working for what would be known as M+B. Franklin River as faller then woods foreman, Port Hardy Division as General Foreman, North West Bay as Manager,Camp 5, Kennedy Lake Division, Iron River Division, Then to retirement at Menzies Bay. Has very interesting stories about how the operations were run. The managers used to be located in Vancouver and the GF's would be in the camps. When he became a manager he stayed at the operation. He wasn't much for the city he says. My father spent his entire career at M+B as well. Bullbucker in Queen Charlottes, Bullbucker at Kelsey Bay, Woods foreman at Kelsey, Eve River General Foreman, Back to Kelsey as GF, NorthWest Bay as Manager and retirement as Contract Manager at North Island Ops for Island Timberlands. They both really enjoyed their time at M+B. They both have incredible distain towards that "slimy green outfit" Something all of us EX M+B folks share I guess. The Red and White was sure good to my family.
And a Happy New Year to you as well, Torkel. If there were tension skidders at Sproat, it was way before my time. Some of the old settings that I saw from days gone by, might well have been taken out by machines of this nature. The only track mounted machines that I saw were two Madill 009's - the J-121 & the J-139. Supposedly the J-139 originally started its career at Cameron Division, and finished its days at Sproat Lake working out of the Cous Creek part of the operation.
HDX, I was curious how long it took from areas like the ball park to china creek loaded. Has to be one of the longest off highway hauls anywhere.
Mack CL350 Taken last week.It's been shown before,but the leaves are off now,and its a bit easier to see. http://youtube.com/user/skadill
BTC 3 1/2-4 hours depending on how heavy the load was and the condition of the roads If the roads were bad you could add another 1/2 hr easily. That was like you said from the Ballpark to China Creek. We had to go back to Wall 1600 to clean up some wood in 2009 and it was all day from Sarita out there and back. And that is with the big power Cat engines that Al Waugh put in the trucks 90-100meters = 360 ltrs of supreme diesel per trip We used Supreme because we got better mileage LOL
That's a long way, once you get out of the ballpark not a ton of adverse if i remember correctly just one hell of a long way. Al Waugh was up working on our equipment over the christmas shutdown.
jackd Was talking to Pete Glasier on friday about you He is driving for us now Ring some bells ???
This is just a shot in the dark but some of the old Madill guys are looking for info on when Marilyn Monroe went to Northwest Bay Division for a visit and to see the logging being done there This would have been in the mid 50s and she had a cast on her leg Seems she broke her ankle skiing in Banff Maybe somebody's dad would remember
I met Pete a few years ago, after many years had passed since we worked at Sproat Lake. His spouse works at the Care home my Mother is residing in up near the Orange Bridge - I always ask her how he's doing. Say hi to him for me - and tell him I now think that he has the better job than me...... How's old George doing?
Too bad the Squamish guys couldnt get together and drag that old CL350 out of there and kind of make a "GATE GUARD out of her She is the only thing left of M&B over there Just kind of prop her up with the water tank on and use plywood to cover up where the rad use to be and scrub her down --little red paint here and there While on the subject Do any of you guys on here know any of the old original Squamish Division Drivers??? I am trying to track down any of them still around to talk to PM me if you wouldnt mind Thank You
HDX, My grandfather worked at NWB 3 times over his career with M+B. We couldn't find anywhere that showed Marilyn Munroe. Did find pictures of Princess Elizabeth before she became the queen from sometime around 1952 or 53.
OK Thats great I think the Madill guys are still looking but I dont know how they made out Thanks for looking Hopefully something will turn up eventually
MacMillan Bloedel Gear Some gear M&B auctioned off 25 plus years ago http://youtube.com/user/skadill
Lumber Carrier I know its only a pavement piece,but its name and color give it some deserved respect.It was scrapped last summer,this pic is the last of it.
A 9G with an angle blade..SWEET! If that skinner had a grizzly bear with a chain saw cutting his right-of-way, that would be two of the best killing machines ever!
Okay guys, once I can sit down and get a chance I'll drag all of my Dad's old slides out, got lots of logging pic from the heydays of MB. I'll post some once I get it figured out how to do it. Might take me a day or so to get them here
HDX, That picture of the Kenworth for sale in #426. H-243!!!!!! Was that a Kelsey Bay truck? mountains in back look like Newcastle ridge in Kelsey Bay.
That is definitely the Kelsey shop. I can't remember any of the trucks havingBuddd wheels on the front, you can see the old chain drive behind it, H-173 I think, that is the one down at the forestry museum in Duncan now so it is really going back in time. In the mid to late 70's they threw a glider kit onto a few of the trucks and some were turned into spar carriers, had to lengthen the frame and put bigger springs in the fr axle, they might have changed up the front to FU-910 to handle the weight. H-243 rings a bell but just can't remember for sure. Too much time, too many trucks and too much water under the bridge
Kelsey Bay J-25 and J-78 were steel spars on kenworth trucks built at Kelsey.
Can't remember for sure if we did 3 or 4, a couple were old yarders that were mounted on old military tank retrievers, I remember one went to madill and got a brand new tower put on it, I think that was the J-78, had twin mains on it. What I remember most about that one was the first trip out to the bush it blew the quill shaft 1/2 up the hill. Never even got out to the bush and the wrenches had to do their thing. The air cleaners were full of dust and paint and too much restriction for the blowers.
H-243, Bear Cub! Loren Smith i believe. It is before my time but i think i heard that at some point. All the drivers on those old trucks were in new ones when i was a kid growing up there in the mid 80"s
BTC, I think that you are right, Cubby was there at that time. That might have been the truck that he made the infamous "Cubby Hole" in the shop with.
J-78 made it 8 Km's out the mainline and broke down on garbage dump hill. H-243 was involved in a rather funny moment many years ago. Donald Sprout loaded it out in Rooney Lake country. Stan Jones was on it that day and he took it to Ever River instead of going right at Rooney Lake junction. Drove it all the way down to the Eve River sort. Just had a good conversation with an old loader operator from those days, he says thanks for the trip down memeory lane
Ask him if he remembers when Cubby put his truck through the shop doors at Kelsey.
Wondering here which M&B Div was known as the Thunder Bird Div ?
I think that it must have been Kelsey, they had a whack of them for a while, I think all the hoe chuckers were 1146's. I didn't have much to do with them, left the division around the time they showed up and came back about the time the last one was scrapped out.
L-104 was a Thunderbird-John Queen L-131 was a Thunderbird-Brian Lidstrom L-144 was a Thunderbird-Bill Marsh L-163 was a Thunderbird-Norm Herbin L-166 was a Thunderbird-Mazio Batustiz These machines operated at Kelsey Bay, a couple of operators went down to Ross equipment back in the day and had a look at how they were built and then operated them at various locations. That would make Kelsey Bay the T-Bird division 075. When does the 2258(formally H-05) get to kelsey bay 075. Looking forward to seeing it. Looks great in your pictures.
It left Port McNeill yesterday on a lowbed should be there now. And the reason I asked about the Thunderbird Div Is that I was given a hat with that on it.
Port McNeill trucks that are ex M&B 2231-H122 2224-H83 or H88 2224-H94 2226-H55
H-87? H-293? I thought i heard somewhere that two Eve River trucks ended up in McNiel. H-87 and H-293? Maybe they ended up at Lemare
There are two more trucks here that I could not get the M&B numbers off of could be them maybe?
Here's Four more 2227-H80 2229-H109 5417- H262 2614-H50. Have been trying to convince the powers that be, to turn the two 849's into tankers and put the tankers back hauling logs. Do not think that will happen though.
075; Great pictures and for sure it would be great to see Hayes water trucks were converted to logging trucks again. Re. HDX #2224 it was M&B unit #83. Re. HDX units #2223 and #2226 I dont know M&B unit numbers. Re. P16 unit #2227 it was M&B unit #H86. See attached pictures unit stil got #H86 at door. Unit #2228 was M&B #H87 and #2230 was M&B #H121. All pictures were taken in summer 2007 in Port McNeill. HDX #2613 ex M&B H49 was still going strong as a logger in 2007. I think I posted a few pics of her at Hayes thread.
ex m&b crew boats taken at silverside recently
A landing around Franklin River area Aug 1960
Born2clearcut Really good old picture Not sure if the log loader is the L51 or the L88 The truck is one of the old Macks LMSWL Look at the axle caps. This picture sure shows the "Rub Iron" bunk bolster on the truck as opposed to the Turn Table that all the HD Hayes's had There was 6 of the old LM Macks at Franklin H15 H19 H22 H23 H26 and H70 at the time this picture was taken
What kinda truck is that under the tower? Thought it was a tank retriever at first glance, but it isn't.
We had a couple of tower truck carriers at Jackson Bros logging I can't really remember the truck makes ( possibly Mack ) I was told they were dump trucks from building the St Lawrence seaway
Oh, that would likely be one of them big Macks then... Thanks!
Looks like a B Model off-highway, doesn't it?
Mack
I was there where Cubby put his truck through the wall! He had started out the mainline and blew the clutch cable. He got himself turned around and headed back for the shop. He pulled up in front of the shop popped it out of gear and because the shop crew was having coffee, he opened the shop doors, got back in the truck and put it in first and under and idled it into the shop. This time he put his foot on the brake then tried to pull it out of gear. With his foot on the brake and the 12 V 71 idling he wasn't about to get it out of gear. About this time panic set in, he didn't think to pull the shut down and he basically held on for a slow ride through the back doors of the shop. I was out back of the shop with the Shop Foreman when we heard a slow CRUNCH!, SNAP, BOOM! At that point the forklift began making an appearance through the unopened shop doors as if being given birth by the shop, slowly emerging out into the yard. By this time the doors had swung quite a ways out at the bottom and the bumper of a 849 Kenworth appeared through the hole the forklift had made. In another few feet both double doors finally ripped off and came crashing down onto the truck. I guess the crashing down of the doors finally brought poor old Cubby to his senses and he finally pulled the shutdown. I guess if he didn't get stopped there it might of stopped when he drove into the salt chuck out behind the shop. The whole thing happened in slow motion. If you think about it happened at the speed of a Kenworth idling in first and under.
I know the conversation was back in January but the CL 350 Mack was a MB Menzies Bay truck. It was never a Squamish truck. I believe it was bought by Olympic Logging and went up coast then ended up back in their Elaho operations in Squamish. I'm not sure where the picture was taken but it was probably not where the MB Sqamish Div shop and yard where. MB leased a piece of land from BC Rail in Squamish and it was totally cleaned up, buildings removed, land mitigated and turned back over to BC rail in about 1996.
That is right, Olympic bought a bunch of the Menzies Bay trucks. Like most of the stuff they own, those trucks are quickly becoming scrap iron...
hey Contract Logger , is there any chance that the H-07 truck in pic #2 is related to this H-7?
Only in name No she is altogether different unit The H7 number was just a contractors truck number She looks like an old Copper Canyon or Shawnigan truck Not sure--- but when time permits I will scope out my pics
Here are photos of the Elaho Logging yard in Squamish BC in 2007. Several pieces of old MB gear laying about. Cool off-set cab Mack Logging truck. The link to the pics is here... ( I have no info on the company or gear...I just stumbled across the stuff and took pictures ) http://adventuresinmikeslife.blogspot.ca/2012/07/photos-of-grown-over-m-logging.html
Qcd pics Some pics from Queen Charlotte Division, 1978-81
One more....... Poclain grade shovel, 1978.
In pic #4, is that a log in the place of a steel boom/mast? Was it just a log loader...or a combination machine
The loaders came with a big empty socket in place of a boom, and the company installed their own log as a boom. I am told it was called a "Luckhurst Boom"
Thanks for the answer. Never heard of one, never seen one. Love the grade shovel pic also.
trackloader Old H34 looked in tough shape back then! The "heeling wings" are missing from the long boom Remember they came with the base and the heeling wings and then the cap on top for the grapple and holding lines to go through The "heeling wings" were clamped on about half way up the boom and used sometimes to heel long logs
Possibly also known as a 'mule ****'?
Or perhaps a 'mule Richard' in mixed company? :rofl:
MB trucks still red and white summer 2012 KW and Pacific fire trucks and Pacific P16 unit H61
MB trucks still red and white summer 2012 More MB trucks. Glad to see H278 and H29 are still around. I wonder which MB div. H29 went to from new.
MB trucks still red and white summer 2012 A few more incl. P16 unit H114. Yellow sander truck behind H114 is old H33(an Hayes HD truck). She is still around as well built to last
Wow this is so cool. Come a long way!
Hayesno1 More great ones from the past H29 s/n 4449 went to Chemainus (Copper Canyon) Division H33 went to Northwest Bay Division H61 was transferred from Kelsey Bay Division The pacific fire tanker F169 came from Shawnigan division and The old H278 s/n 7083295 came from Sproat Lake Division I will come up with more info if required
HDX; Thanks for information. I just wonder if H29 is a HDX or a WHDX model? By the way was was H27 twin sister to H29? The look alike with those fenders.
Hayesno1 Small error here serial # are as follows H27 HDX 45-115 serial #4414 Delivered to Copper Canyon June 11/71-- H28 HDX 45-115 serial # 4448 Delivered to Copper Canyon June 20/71 H29 HDX 45-115 serial #4450 Delivered to Copper Canyon Aug 16/71 and H30 HDX 45-115 serial #4449 Delivered to Copper Canyon Aug 27/71 Had to cross over a few hundred numbers to make sure this info was accurate The reason for the wide jump in serial numbers between H27 and H 28 is there was a large order of trailers and Highway trucks all at the same time Sorry about s/n 4449 it was incorrectly listed due to order numbers
HDX; Thanks for information. Here a Pacific P16 still having the M&B colours. Present owner is Lake Lemare Logging
Old KW850 now used as water truck.
Hey, be careful there. My dad ran grapple yarder for years.
I showed my dad this page yesterday. He spent the whole day going through and telling me who's machine was who's and who ran what. Pointing out people. Great times. Thanks. Oh, he also told me that he ran Y-03 until it burnt. Then he got to custom build his next machine. The Y-02, which he was very pleased to see on the first page. I will be going through the pictures at home here. I am sure that he has some around.
I believe that the Y-35 here was Billy Beardsworths machine at the time it came to Sproat Lake.
Hi Brian! Here's an incomplete spreadsheet with MMB machine numbers and some drivers/operators: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8809686/MMB Equipment.xls . Maybe you and your dad may help us fill out some more of it? PM me if you need some more information!
I was the first Landing Man on the brand new Y-35 when it arrived on the claim back in '79. Brian - I remember your father very well from those old days. Tony N., Carl Buckner, Charlie E. & Billy B. were the guys running the grapple yarders in those days if my memmory is correct. See if your Dad remembers me - say hello to him for me.
Hi there Jack, yes, dad remembers you. I don't know why he started swearing so much when I asked him though? LOL. Just kidding. Torkel. I am going to print out the spreadsheet and let dad fill it out over the next few days. I will be gone, but, when I get back, I will fill in the spread sheet and send it back to you.
TorkelH - this little bit of info puts an end to the mystery of which machine burnt back in the day. Last fall I was scratching my head on this one and falsely identifying the machine as either the Y-102 or Y-02. Brian N has ended the mystery. Tony N was the machine operator and when he finally tells us the story via Brian, we will hear the complete tale. I'm going to dig through some of my other old shots and see what this adds to the story at Sproat Lake Division.
The way I remember it, the Y-03 burnt, then, the Y-02 was ordered and put to work in place of the Y-03. Did the Y-35 not burn up too? I will get the full story when I get back on Sunday or Monday.
Hi there, I have been watching this forum for quite some time now and it's really nice to see the old pictures. I was wondering if the Y-03 you mentioned was a 144, when I worked at Eve River we received a Madill 144 from Kennedy Lake in 96 or 97. It was numbered Y-03. I believe it went up to the charlottes after Menzies, Kelsey and Eve were joined together and the Kelsey and Eve yards were closed.
Mack CL350ST old #H443 now back as a logging truck. Present owner is WFP. Over the last 10 years it has been operating as a tractor with huge lowbed, so it was much to my surprise to see it back as a logging truck this summer near Sayward.
Okay, after reading through nearly 33 pages of fabulous pictures, I am amazed that there is not one of the most famous of all M&B pieces of equipment. You guessed it, the Martin Mars Bombers . They are still red and white, and still on Sproat lake in Port Alberni. I hope that it is okay that I post the link and not a photo. All of my photos are on my other computer at home. Love these things. Still get chills every time they fly over.
An old tired Hayes HDX unit #H289 from M&B QCI div. Truck is still for sale I think. Ancouver Island, summer 2012. Maybe "trakloader" can ad some information/history.
I'm not sure if these belong in the MB thread or the accident thread. These are legendary shots from kennedy lake that used to live on the engineers wall.
Turns out i have to do some photos resizing before they'll attach.
I didn't take these. They've been circ ulating for years, given that the operation was closed in 1996.
That machine in the first photo looks like it was brand new...right before it fell off the road
here is one of the last units to handle the wood in its travels.
yes it was. First trip up Northridge Road. Way up above Clayoqout Arm of Kennedy Lake. Kennedy Lake Division had a few terrible years of equipment damage. Machines off of lowbeds, towers pulled over, loaders walking into the water, equipment barges on the rocks etc.
Kennedy Lake Division I was doing a snow check just before Christmas 92 and sure enough there was snow. This is way up Matlset at the head of Warn Bay in Clayoquot. A few months later all hell would break loose. The second shot is of the barge running between Berryman and Rankin. It's not Red and White, but its hauling all of MB's production from the Rankin side. The trucks are Saunders.
So what is happening with the loaded trucks on the barge?...was that the daily routine to get across the pond?
Rather than run a second drysort across the inlet, the barge was set up for roll on roll off with self raising ramps. From the barge location it was another 22km or so to the dryland sort at Ucluelet, where the trucks would be unloaded into the bay. The timber would then be towed to Alberni, or barged to Vancouver.
So , weather must have been a huge issue for the barge work. How any trucks were running? Empty trucks went back on every run? I would have loved to see the drama of on and off-loading the trucks at either end
I was wondering what happened to the P16 lowbed truck that had a Cat 3412 for power. I believe it was at Franklin River, a guy I worked with in Port McNeill showed me a couple of pictures once. It looked a little strange with the long hood.
Wonder what happened to the low bed truck at Menzies div. It had a 16v71 in it. Was called Smokey. It too had a looooong hood.
BTW Smokey was a Hayes HDX
The truck was one of three sister trucks H92 H93 and H94 H92 was the lowbed truck for quite a few years and then after Karl Breidenbach retired (he drove H92 from new) the lowbed was towed behind H94 after she got rebuilt at Inland Kenworth in Nanaimo and Gary Cathers drove it. The three trucks were sold after the big M&B garage sale in 2003 One of the three (not sure which one) was cut up over at Coast PowerTrain in New West and one went to Ft McMurray The other one was going to Georgia but when money didnt show up she was sold to a guy just south of the border I met him this summer and BS'd with him for some time VERY NEAT GUY so she is in good hands As for the hoods YES they were very long and although they had the 3412's in them the power was cut way back due to the 60-61 Allison trans All three trucks had air throttles in them and that was interesting to get use to because there was no "feel" to them
Glad to hear it's in good hands. I had heard they were debated a lot.
BTW The guy south of the border also bought the residue of the cut up one as well as the runner
HDX, I was wondering why they had a air throttle and not mechanical linkage?
It was a Finning warranty thing with the idea being that engine damage could occur over time when a driver started up the truck in the morning and stood on the throttle to build up air . The theory was some drivers have been known to do this and during the cold winter shifts this would be bad. The air throttle would not work till the air system was up to 65 lbs
Obviously the person that thought that up never ran something with a air throttle. Of course now it can be programmed into the engine ECM.
I was curious if you know what happened to H56. When the tri axle highway trucks were brought in, I believe H56 went to somewhere in Alberni. I think somebody actually drove it from Eve River to Alberni by logging road. Must have been a long, long drive if they did.
I was one of the guy's that put the 3412 Powered trucks together when new.I remember Cat comeing in and turning them down.As HDX stated it was to save the Allison..Those three trucks were the only time I ever saw that engine at Pacific.I didnt know one of them had been cut up..Big heavy engine.....Cory
diamondtguy Yes but I dont know what one was parted out H94 was the best of the three because she was rebuilt at Kenworth in Nanaimo and recabbed at the same time H93 was also not too bad and old H92 was still pretty untouched. She did have a "Cotta" aux trans installed while pulling the lowbed but as anyone that knew those trans it was VERY labour intensive to keep up It was finally removed just before Karl retired and it was then that H94 went under the bed and pretty well stayed married to it On a side note the lowbed itself was equipped with a steering bogie In other words the trailer axles were mounted on a hydralic operated turntable so the back end actually steered from the cab of the truck It had a "tiller" type valve with a port and starboard guage and the driver could steer the bed while going up around swithchbacks with equipment on. This was really good for the push truck because he was in the middle of the road pushing instead of in the ditch or climbing the bank trying to keep up.
There are pics floating around of one of the 3412 trucks sitting outside of Coast Power Train...They claimed it was there for a rebuild.I will see if I can find the pics.Maybe there is a unit number on it...The trailer sounds like a cool pc....Cory
Here is link to Hanks website - Hank Rabes collection - pic is #sn. Lots of pics of truck when parked in New Westminster. Top of left side of watertank you can see #H94. http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/hank_rabe/2006/aug28/73.jpg
Look at door of HFP unit #T1149. It says #H94. As I recall this truck is old #H55 but "HDX" knows for sure
Hayesno1 That old girl was bought new by M&B and was unit H155 When Weyerheauser took over M&B all trucks and equipment were left with their original numbers. After the big Weyco garage sale in 2002 this truck was obtained by Hayes forest and renumbered unit T1149 She was used till the engine developed problems(Cummins KTA) then parked where this picture was taken She sat there for over a year until Hayes Forest lowbedded her to Duncan She was stripped of a lot of her parts by this time. However she was given a new life after Island Pacific logging bought her and had her rebuilt and now she is IPL unit # H153
HDX, could you explain what a Cotta aux trans is, and one more thing. Did they use 16V71s in some trucks? Sigurd
I was wondering too Sigurd, so I went to this website, http://www.cotta.com/
69hayes, interesting website thanks. Assume we are talking about a speed reducer in this application (heavy trucks), looking forward for an explanation Sigurd
Sigurd The Cotta was more of what we would call a transfer case 2 Speeds high and low You would have to come to a complete stop in order to shift from low to high They were mounted behind the Allison trans So what this would do is give you 6 gears in low range for adverse road conditions and then when you got to not quite so steep ground you would stop and put the Cotta in high range and away you went.This would give the lowbed driver some slack because he could move equipment without waiting for a pushtruck Does this make sense? Also Crown Z had a number of P16s with SPR 570 rear ends and there was a couple that also had Cotta's in them There was three P16s that went to Crown Zs NitNat Operation with V16s in them These were the first of the "Super Trucks" that Pacific built These trucks were built to pull loads over the switchbacks from NitNat to their Nanaimo Lakes Operation That would have been in the late 70s early 80s A friend of mine Ian Brown got one of them new and I think she was one of the trucks that ended up on the ocean floor off Kyuquot when the barge turned turtle in a storm around 1983. All that stuff is still out there When the insurance outfit sent down the underwater cameras they found a Grapple yarder on top of the truck It was a huge loss for Crown Z as well as the crews that operated all that stuff. There is guys on this site that could go into this mishap a little further Sorry Sigurd for the long winded explanation but that about sums it up
Has anyone ever posted a picture or video of a truck with the 16v71 installed? I remember seeing the 3412 lowbed truck at Franklin River when I was a teenager but I've never seen one with the big Detroit installed. Thanks, Reg
Barnhart Crane & rigging has 2 Pacific P-12W with the 16V-71 for power, Clark 16000 series trans -converter & Clark BD-121's out back. Both of these rigs came from the Almas International fleet. if you search thru there company web site for project photos, you will find them. http://www.barnhartcrane.com/index.html All the trucks have names like "Elvis", "Big Daddy", they also have a 6x6 P-12W3 which is a former Almas rig as well. Other prime movers include a Payhauler 350, IH 8066 (ex military), KW 848 & 849, C-500, Autocar DC-20364 & 10364and a pair of Oshkosh M-911 with BD-91 rear tandem. Ap40
She was an HDX
HDX thanks a lot for your explanation of Cotta trans, very informative and it sure make sense in heavy hauling. Too bad with all the equipment loss for Crown Z Sigurd
Does anybody know where the trucks from Eve River Division went? I know what happened to four trucks. H87 went to Port McNeill H148 also went to Port McNeill and was eventually parted out H294 I think was scrapped by Saratoga Ventures H295 still at Menzies as a water truck H57 scrapped at Saratoga Ventures I don't know what happened to H22, H37, H41(came from Copper Canyon), H56, H298
We got a couple of trucks from up there I gotta check my old pics and records H38 H41 H11 When H-11 showed up from EVE RIVER I could not believe the good condition she was in There was some issue with her and I think it was the tranny was BO She was being parted out in Camp B but Hayes Forest took one look at the 121 rear diffs and bought her for next to nothing and rebuilt her Somewhere I have pics of H22 when she burned up Pretty sad site!!!
What caused the fire on H22? did a Hyd. Hose dump onto the turbo?
Seems to me that the power steering hose let go Was long time ago before Don McLean retired from Eve River
I guess the fan picked up the spraying oil and threw it on the exhaust. If I remember correctly I think H11 had a bad cylinder head or their was lots of silver in the transmission screen, I remember them having a difficult time putting it on the lowbed when it left Eve. How do you post pictures on here? I haven't figured it out yet.
I have a ton of pics and for the world of me I tried All to no avail Must get the 12 year old kid next door that is already posting on you tube to come over and help me
I must be getting alzheimers, H293 went to Port McNeill. H148 was at the south end shop yard in the Queen Charlottes.
H-22 burnt up coming into the landing in Catherine Creek . I was on the hill setting chokers, Bob (Swede) Mellon was driving her. Just pulling up to loader when the smoke started billowing. He just climbed down the stairs and walked away.
BTC Did you get any pictures of her after the fire was out There was some taken with some of the drivers standing around probably during the investigation I got a couple but still trying to post em
BTC were you at Eve when we had the tri drives and Rick Rennie left his trailer hanging from the reload? He then drove halfway up the mainline before the dispatcher looks out his window, turns the radio to the repeater channel and asks Rick if it was his trailer hanging from the reload! Rick took a lot of ribbing for that one!
I didn't get any pictures HDX, was 17 years old and like most guys took for granted most of the stuff i was seeing i guess. I was already falling for a contractor at another operation when Rick left his trailer at the shop. That was around the time his truck went over at TN 34.
Pacific P16 unit #H234
Hayesno1 H234 came to M&B Cameron Division new as a Glider in 1986 They got two of them H234 and H232 Both trucks had Budd front wheels till some time later when the Dayton hubs were installed H 232 was a P16 PreLoad and the 234 was as above Drivers name was Don McLaren he stayed on her till he retired and H232 driver was Al Horton He also stayed on 232 till he retired. Not long after he retired she was sold to a logging contractor and was destroyed in a wreck Driver was OK but old 232 came out on the short end of the scrap bin. A master mechanic named Doug Terry from WFP came down to the Cameron Shop Yard and bought H234 H141 also a P16 and another P16 unit #H 64 He got all 3 running in short order and low bedded them up to the north end of the island That was the last I saw of them till you posted this picture
From the amount of mud it must be in Holberg.So did you buy a case of CAT yellow paint yet HDX?
Re. H234 HDX; thanks for some very interisting information and another mystery has been solved. 075; you are right about Holberg. Here is truck after she was painted in WFP colours and hot unit #2220. These pics were taken summer 2005 and again in Holberg.
075 I was sorry we didnt hook up but she was a flying trip in and out with just short stop at NIPPS and the Aristocrat Lunch counter. Then all the way back to the dry side of the island. I was sure impressed with the stuff I saw both WFP and LLL. Had to go check out a certain little HD with only one door!!!!! Yup still there and still safe. The Western trucks at McNeil sure look good. Reflects on what kind of drivers they have and the shop crew that maintains them all. I HAD some really nice Cat Yellow paint but I put it in a safe place. I talked to the driver of the truck that the engine came out of for just a minute while fueling up and I forgot to ask what unit number it was out of. I will find out so it can be engraved on the plate. It was like going home again with Mike Murphy and to finally meet Larry Bartlett. The whole place just reminded me of any M&B Shop Yard and Shop. You know where everything is in its place. It was a day I will never forget
Hayes Loader Truck Re-posted on request to find more about this truck from HDX
Skadill !! nice rig...where did you dig this one up?? Mike P
Skadill Thanks Again Here it is The truck above was ex M&B Nanaimo River Division unit # H110 In 1955 MacMillan & Bloedel ordered 8 new trucks for the NR Camp All were HD 18-60s H88 H89 H90 H91 H92 H93 H94 H95 S/Ns were 5091625-5091632 all were powered by the C6NFL 6 cyl Rolls Royce engines and 4600 rear diffs 10:16-1 ratio 11:00x22 tires all were delivered between Oct 13 and Nov 15 1955, Then they purchased a near new HD Dumptruck from Charles Creek Logging in Nanaimo It was Cummins powered but same diffs and trans as their other trucks, her unit number became G24 May /56 they recieved a further 5 trucks all were HD 25-60s H105 H106 H107 H108 and H109 All with Supercharged Rolls Royce's and spec'd same as first bunch s/n's 6041723-6041727. Then in Aug of 1956 they got the last two trucks unit H110 delivered Aug 31/56 and H111 delivered Sept 6/56 also HD 25-60s Then sometime later there was a Kenworth truck destroyed in an accident there and they could only get their hands on a better used Clipper Conv from Tri West Transport in Edmonton with a Cummins in her so they bought her and turned her into a low-bed truck Unit # H54 As fate would have it I ended up buying this truck not knowing any of her history untill sometime later because no ID was on her so I tracked her down by engine serial number. The door number was one of the indications because it was F147 and that was a M&B Fire Tanker number. It sure is funny how these old girls keep turning up all over the coast
Skadill and HDX; thanks for posting pics and information. I could not resist posting pics of old "Lipper" alias #F147....
Saw old H289 up behind Menzies Transport shop . Somebody must have bought her cause she has a new set of 14:00X25 Triangle Tires on her (10) Looks like she might be going to work somewhere. She looks pretty good and will do a good job for them for some time to come Good to see her saved
Hi trakloader I recognize the Madill 084 at the head of the lineup by its undercarriage (Sherman, I believe?). Was this the same 084 that returned to the Islands to work for Skidegate Forestry on Moresby Island? I heard that Madill only built five of these machines.
That is right, I heard all sorts of horror stories about that piece of junk, lol!
Hey Trakloader, any idea where the Y-34 went? And is Y-17 still up there?
17 is still kicking around, Torkel knows where 34 went I think.
trakloader Great to see you back!!!!!
Don't get too excited, I had to load the forum in town on high speed, to get it to work with my ultra slow dial-up. HEF does not like dial-up!
I have tons of pics to upload, too
I've got a few too, found this door behind the shop in Chamiss Bay..whats the history TL ??
J-35, This may be the original line horse that Kelsey Bay had when they started up the Skagit's. I will find out for sure but i'm pretty sure it is. Story behind first line horse was they had it on an old kenworth that was a spare truck. Truck drivers were all strong on fact only they should be driving it. Young rigging guys didn't like waiting for a driver so they started skinning it around. Caused a pretty good up roar. In the end the H-35 became J-35. Out of the hauling Dept into the Y+L Dept. There aren't many guys that drove her that didn't have a story of it barely making it up hills and being scared more than once driving it. Cockiness and inexperience. Amazing nobody had a serious accident in it. One time going up Victoria Main it went in the shrubs, truck drivers refused to yank it back on the road. LOL..... Wood was hitting the water, company looked the other way.
J-35 Took me a while but i found the picture. J-35 was H-35. Only problem is i can't figure out how to get the damn pictures onto here.
I think most of the 084's ended up at Don Whitaker Logging in Roseburg, Oregon.
Don Whitaker has/had 3 084's and I thought only 3 were built.The problem with them was the tank undercarriage,it was realy heavy and that gave the yarder more stability but it was a real pain in the a*s to move,that's why Don Whitaker put his 084's on hydraulic tracks.
It was a transmission hose, it got a pin hole in it and a very fine spray hit the exhaust and caught on fire.
We're you driving Ted?
Yes I was, I started working for M&B in 1969 hooking on a grapple yarder, started driving fat truck later in1969 till April 2001 when we merged with Kelsey Bay and Menzies bay to become North Island Timberlands. I continued driving through Weyerhaeuser, Cascadia and Westeren Forest Products then retired in 2007. Ted Sr.
I have a picture of my daughter and I beside your old H57 as the lowbed truck after we were running the tri-drives. If I get time I will post it.
I would love to see it, I have a few pictures and will post some of them them as soon as I learn how
H100 sitting Port McNeill being parted out
Pictures did not upload fist timed
nice old mack truck looks like it could run again
Wow, she has had several mods of the years, with Cummins KTA for power & the Pacific built cab on it. Good to see one again, still a favorite. Thanks for posting. Ap40
I don't know if you know the whole storey or not but Sweed was heading for the dump loaded just before the adverse at TS when he smelled something burning and pulled over to see what it was. As soon as he stopped the flames that were going under the cab because he was moving now started to rise and if I remember correctly he had to jump off the running board. Thus the truck burnt up. It was heard at that time that transmission oil in the smallest pressurized spray was more volatile than gas. Ted Sr.
I think I heard about that as I wasn't there until September of 95.
Ted Sr Mr. Klettke, Swede also burnt the H-22 in the start of Catherine 61. 1997.
Not a Pacific cab, it is a Mack cab with Pacific doors. I finally found the article on them trucks, I shall scan and post it.
Well good to know, although they did make changes to the front windows, as after the fitting of Pacific door, the front glass is much larger than the standard Mack. Ap40
M&B preloader trailer now used by IPL.
Not sure if you guys have seen these videos. There's some pretty good footage and still photos packed in here. [video=youtube;JVpjPzJ9bu8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVpjPzJ9bu8&feature=share&list=FLHseRq4MOhZH6TftsvSPiJw[/video]
And another [video=youtube;6p1qVmH6C7k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p1qVmH6C7k&feature=share&list=FLHseRq4MOhZH6TftsvSPiJw[/video]
Last one for today [video=youtube;oal5vyxunBA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oal5vyxunBA&feature=share&list=FLHseRq4MOhZH6TftsvSPiJw[/video]
M & B's floating bundling machine in Departure Bay Nanaimo B C . In picture 2 you can see a old beaver tied to the boom on the top right (hard to see in this small picture but its there . Sry I have no date for these pictures
couple more . Picture 1 is M&B's sorting and bundling rig , picture 2 is the storage pockets in the booming grounds . both pictures taken in Ucluelet Vancouver Island B C
Although these are not M&B equipment, it was the drivers manuals for logging truck and bus. These were revised in November 1966 (Logging truck drivers manual) and December 1966 (Bus driving manual) The logging truck manual is a whole 40 pages, while the bus driving manual is 13 pages. Would probably take a full 15 minutes to read both of them.
Here some shared pics of M&B Hayes trucks. Please enjoy. I think HDX will add some information.
The top picture with the driver sitting on the front fender was taken down in Sarita in the winter of 1973.Cameron Division went down to their winter shows in Sarita and Spencer and H247 got sent to Sarita. I finally got Al Horton to pose for me. The truck is H247 She is a WHDX with the Clark 8 speed Auto tranny and a 12V71 engine 90,000 Clark rears and 15 foot bunks. This was the first new truck delivered to M&B's new Cameron Division after it started operation in 1966. She was one of 4 Hayes WHDX's and 4 P16 Pacific's All 8 trucks were spec'd out the same with the Clark Trans and V12 GM engines H247 H248 H249 and H250 were the Hayes's and H251 H252 H253 and H254 were the pacifics. The three pictures below Al Horton are the H247 today. We found her up in the Campbell River area a few years ago. she is owned by DN Blakey Logging. She has been rebuilt a time or two but still looks great Of the 4 WHDX's at Cameron Division as you can see H247 still around H248 I think was parted out. H249 was shipped up to Juskatla and was made into a truck mounted spar and became J23 Trakloader has pics posted of her as the spar. She was cut up after time ran out for her. H250 was surplused in 1975 and sent to Northwest Bay Division as a low bed truck and then sold to an Alberta outfit for pulling a lowbed in the oilfields This is the better of the two styles of Clark shift towers (My opinion only) One of the welders in the Cameron shop welded the F and R on the johnson bar so it was easy to tell the difference. As a kid we just loved these Clarks because of the noise. The best years of our lives.
M&B loader unit #L303. It is a Koehring 545 Sprawler Logger.
Not much left of M&B unit #H32. It's a Hayes HD model (preload winch type).
YEAH DBDLS- Don,t know if you heard,but MADILL are now being built in N.Z. BRIGHTWATER ENG. have now got the rights to build them. Was offered to me but didn,t have the capital. Wish I had tried harder now!
Finally got back on here, forgot my password, LOL! I have scanned the Mack article, and will post it ASAP.
Thanks for sharing my videos, I bet a lot of people have great memories of those days.
I have some crew currently in Bella Coola. While driving down highway they noticed an old 90 foot tower. MB logo still visible. This tower looks like home grown. Kenworth truck under it. J-61 still very visible below MB decal. I'm thinking its from QCI. Anyone know for sure? Thank you
This video is very interesting. I really enjoyed watching it. Thank you for sharing!
truck tower photo response to the post 2 above.shared photo I recently received.This would be one of them there.
Okay, I don't think that tower is from QCD but the truck may be.
I'm thinking Kelsey Bay, I don't remember their equipment numbers but at least a couple 009s where taken of tank carriers and mounted on Kenworths. That would have been in the late 70s. The only thing that doesn't look right if I recall the KB machines had yarding cab risers about 3ft higher than the one in the picture. There wasn't a lot of other MB divisions using Kenworths at the time.
Im from Kelsey Bay, Looks like what they ran for trucks but i don't ever recall the J-61. I will ask this weekend.
J-61 A very good friend of mine that ran log loader at Kelsey Bay for many many years just got back to me about J-61. Prior to his years running loader he pulled rigging on the J-61. Kelsey Bay bought the winch and pipe from Madill, they mounted it on an old kenworth. They bent the pipe right away and replaced it. That was 1966. A little before my time.
I do recall some of Kelsey Bays spars were removed from the old army surplus tank retrievers but that was much later, probably mid to late 70s. They were removed and mounted on the Kenworths. I mentioned earlier that the Kelsey Bay cabs had risers under them. The risers may only have been on the grapple spars not on spars that flew chokers. On a grapple spar the mainline drum was divided in two and ran two mainlines. The mainline size was reduced to 7/8" to get 1100 ft on the drum. One side had a line shortner activated by the strawline and a grapple was run rather than chokers. The grapples where the old scissor type that opened when the line shortner was activated. To grab a log the shortner was released and both mainlines pulled on the turn. The risers may have been an attempt to increase operator visibility in the grapple spars. If that was the case then the J-61 was a choker machine.
I was doing my apprenticeship at Kelsey when we were converting the spar carriers to Kenworths so that was 76-80. If I remember right we converted 2 of the old tank retriever's then sent one of the Kenworths down to madill and they put a new tower on it. We had to lengthen the frame by a few feet and beef up the front end, bigger springs. A few other odds and ends I don't remember if we sent one or two trucks to madill for new towers. I do remember when we got one back and the first trip up blomindale hill and the quill shaft blew on the blower and there it sat. The air cleaners were just about plugged with what looked like paint, it was like the engine was running when it was painted, weird!
We used to have them running to rotate the drums and gears for painting so it is possible it was paint. It was done all the time on every machine and don't recall ever hearing of problems but maybe it ran longer than usual. d.d.
Hahaha After 30plus years the mystery is solved. Never even thought of that but yes that would be the easiest way to paint the drums.
These are pics of two different machines, are they not? What's the story on the second yarder? My time at Sproat Lake Div. saw the J-73 show up in 1977. Madill put a brand new yarder on top of one of our supplied HDX trucks. This was the last Madill tower purchased by the division, after purchasing several 009's in the early '70s. Was there a company effort to save money on new yarders by supplying the chassis to Madill, during this time? Did other divisions besides Port MacNeil & Sproat Lake try this strategy as well?
Don't rest easy just yet!!! They probably would only have the upper yarder engine running to turn the drums. Your plugged filters where on the truck engine but you never know. Maybe they just started all the engines just to make sure LOL
Question: If Weyco had not taken M&B over and raped the snot out of them, realistically, do you think M&B would still be in business today, or were they already in a weakened state, and vulnerable?
There are other people on here who would know better than I would about the business of logging and how M&B fit in it. However I think if maybe we had a different CEO and the merger/ takeover had not happened, M&B could have survived as long as they had been cautious with how they managed there private lands and not gone crazy cutting timber off them like Weyerhaueser seemed to. They might have had to scale back some places some but I like to think so. I think there was some properties in other countries that became a drain on the company which put them in a tough spot that they couldn't unload. Come on all you long time M&B guys and gals! I'm sure you are more up on this stuff than I.
There is no short answer to your question. It was a unfortunate sequence of events that lead to the downfall of MB. It was like an accident which also is made up of a sequence of events. Change any one of those events and the results would have been different. MB was in dire financial difficulty in 1996. It was on the brink of failure. Unfortunately the CEO and senior management group at the time did nothing but take a wait and see approach. They thought they would just wait it out until things got better. It had worked in the past and they thought it would work again. But this time was different. MB was faced with poor markets, increased world competition, environmentalist campaigns to name a few obstacles. A new CEO (Tom Stevens) was appointed in 1997 that soon declared the end of clearcutting. He also sold off the Pulp operations in 1998. When the pulp mills where sold off there ended up being a surplus of cash. This cash should have been reinvested to avoid being in a position of shark bait for takeover. Being in a position of corporate shark bait is when a companies asset and cash position are more than what the share value is. Simply buy the shares and you will have gained a profit. In a conference call Tom Stevens was asked about MB now being in a shark bait position and was that money being reinvested to shield the company from takeover. Tom Steven's reply in his words " No one is stupid enough to take over a BC coastal forest company". In 1999 WY took over MB (they called it a merger). In order to survive MB's CEO and senior management group (prior to Stevens) would have had to make some draconian moves. Probably having the courage to sell off the pulp mills anyway or liquidating other major assets. Then putting the balance sheet back in order to avoid any thought of someone taking over MB. The next event in the sequence was the refusal of Stevens to avoid a shark bait position. Whether he wanted to avoid it or not can be debated, we will never know. It has been said the Stevens was put in place by WY to see this plan through. What would throw some cold water on that theory is that when Stevens entered the picture the MB shares where in the $ 16.00 range. By the time WY "merged" they where at $ 27.00. It makes no sense they would have waited that long to pull the trigger on the deal. Even if they wanted to wait to see if things where headed in the right direction they would have moved long before $ 27.00 a share. So two things lead to the downfall 1. The failure of the prior to Stevens CEO / senior management group and 2. Stevens failure to address the shark bait position . If either one of those two events would have a different outcome then WY would have never been in the picture This is just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.
American loader QCI. operator Ray Biggs shared photo
Thanks for taking the time to explain it. Such a shame to see such a great company go down, and even sadder to see it raped and pillaged. Weyco used to be a good outfit IMO. Then along came Mt. St. Helens. And after that, the stinking MBAs. When my father retired in about 1994, he was thoroughly fed up. Thoroughly.
Not sure if I posted this one already, but, I love this one, and the Y02
Any idea what year that photo was taken in? What was the publication? I remember Tony quite well - a strong professional minded European. Torkel - this is the machine that caught fire some years after I left Sproat Lake Division. I worked with the Y-35, Tony ran the Y-02, Carl Buckner ran the Y-11 and Charlie Everard ran the Y-27 Washington. I remember that there was always a strong production competition between each of the machines. I heard the story of the Wyssen show many times during my days at Sproat Lake - I did some logging near the old cut on Branch 308. The story goes that it was somewhat of a logging experiment - with the Swiss brought in to show the boys how to do it. I don't know if it was considered a success but the story goes that the balloon that created the lift for the rigging had to moored every night at days end. One particular nasty winter's night, a storm blew through the Taylor Arm area and ripped the balloon and all the attached rigging away - supposedly the crew showed up in the morning and there was bugger all left. The old boys used to laugh when they told that story.
Is this a Mac Blo fiat-allis
Was her nickname Fat Alice?
The good old days when you could actually take a Cat in a creek! now you would probably end up in jail!
I like spotted owls.... fried.
We had a Fiat Allis HD16 for years to tow our Washington 137 Trailer around it was a great tractor. I havnt seen one for a long time.
Dunno how you found that HD16B pic hiluxman ?? That pic was taken down on the west coast of the south island New Zealand !, belonged to furguson earthmoving. Was a 'cable price' [NZ Allis Chalmers dealer] advertisement pic, got a copy of it myself, NZ contractor magazine Nov 73
The Haida Monarch went up on the rocks in during the winter of 1980-81 these pictures are of it being repaired at the Esquimalt Graving dock . Sections are being floatedback in drydock to be repaired.
M&B HDX Mouted Fire Tanker at Sproat Lake Shops
Ah, I remember those trucks well - that pic really brings back memories. I remember the old Hayes mounted water tank units parked discreetly at some central wide spot all over the claim during fire season. They would drag them in at the end of fire season and put them up against the west fence of the shop yard. The sand trucks were a common sight when we logged in the winter shows. Where did you find these shots?
thanx for the pics my brother worked for shawnigan division and my dad out of Campbell river !keep them coming..
JackD I took most of the photos I'm posting myself, I have about 1000 logging photos that I've taken over the years. Been to the island several times over the years, starting with a bicycle trip way back in 1960. I have a friend at Cobbel Hill that I've stayed with that is also interested in trucks. BTW, I listed that photo as a Hayes HDX, it's a HD-400. Hard to see these pix when I post them, the images are real small and my eyes are 70 years old.
I really regret not having packed around my camera more when I was a logger. Very few men did. Ben Schaefer - the First Aid Man would come around to the sides and take pics on occasion. My old chokerman, John Spencer (son of driver Alex Spencer at Sproat Lake) made the effort of tracking him down and obtaining some 6 x 8 black and whites that were taken of us back on the J-87 Sparmatic. He then passed them on to me and stated that the majority of the many pictures were given to the M & B archives. With the demise of the company, these were passed on to the library at UBC and are available for viewing online. They do not come close to catching the quality of images we are seeing here. Thank you all for making the effort to post what you have. My sense is that word is getting out and many retirees are digging through their archives and are starting to post them here. The best part is that here you get a story or two as well..
jackd That fire tanker posted above was one of 4 sidecab HD's at Sproat H83 H84 H103 H104 I will ask George Glaser or Alvin Roth
Give them my best - if they remember me... It has been over 31 since I saw them last. Was it you that said that many of the pictures from the old days are now in storage at the union hall?
That was the story I heard Maybe if I see Monte Mearns around I will ask him because he was in command about the time Sproat Lake went south
He was in command when my job went south too....
There seems to be a pattern there then
Hello. My Dad worked at Copper Canyon and Nanaimo River division for over 40 years as a truck driver. His main 2 trucks were Hayes HDX h-28 and Kenworth h-312. Wondering if anyone knows where these trucks ended up? Any information is appreciated.
Behold the fresh fish! Welcome!
Welcome aboard Loggerfan. We are working on it!!! The H28 came June 20/71 to the Canyon s/n 4448 Was part of a 4 truck order H27 H28 H29 H30. As for the H312 I think she was one of the highway KW trucks that were replacing the Hayes's and the one and only Mack CL350. The Mack was sent up to Menzies Bay Division so she would be with the rest of her kind (Menzies had all the CL350's) Robbie Robson drove her! H28 might have become an "F" number as a fire tanker or a "G" number. Not sure but we are beating the bush's for her for you. Is your dad by any chance John S????
Hdx. Thanks for looking into this for me. Yes my dad is John S. I have pictures of him with the h-28,h-312, and Weyerhauser trucks. I remember Robbie driving the Mack and I believe Fred Rowbottom drove the h-310. Do you know the number of the HDX low bed Copper Canyon. That was my first ride in a HDX. Dad let me drive the H-28 just before they got rid of them and brought in the new KW.
Loggerfan I bet your dad LOVED the new KW after driving the "MAN TRUCKS" Like riding on a mattress instead of a 2x4 with steel wheels LOL I actually still love the steel wheels! Yes we are trying to track old H28 down anyway. Ask your dad if maybe the 312 ended up over at Shawnigan Division as a Fire Tanker or Sandtruck? I will go through my pics and see what shows up OK I think the lowbed was H70 but later on there was a couple different trucks under her.
HDX. He did love the new ride, but I know he looks back on his days driving the Hayes with pride. I really appreciate you going through your pics. I would really like to find some more to add to his wall. Did you work at Copper Canyon with him?
No I always and still do drive over at Franklin but knew a lot of the guys. I remember seeing the H87 after the car slammed into her while she was crossing the highway on nightshaft (nightshift) The car hit right between the rear planetaries We drove down on Saturday to have a look Was kind of interesting to see the "Jolly Rodger" on the top deckboards above the cab Ask your dad he will remember it 1968 I think. I drove with Robbie Robson at Franklin before he went to the "Canyon" We use to call him Snoopy. Always had to know what was going on!!! The sad thing about those new HDX's was they were always being double shifted and it was hard to find a guy to cross-shift with that would look after the truck like you did. I know H27 went to Northwest Bay Division and they took it to Cameron Division to use up this way but then something happened and she was sent to Saratoga Ventures and I think they cut her up for parts. I will ask Joe next time I see him Maybe next week. Meanwhike the hunt continues for H28 and H312 Bill McNichol got the H311 new just ahead of your dad getting 312
HDX. Not sure if we are talking about the same accident but sounds eerily similar to the one my dad had, but it was h-19. Just talked to him about it and he remembers like it was yesterday. Snoopy. Yup that sounds like the Robbie that my talked about.
OK Maybe my clutch is starting to slip!!! He would know cause he was there and it was a LONG TIME AGO LOL
I have a truck picture from a old book here and it has the Jolly Roger on the top, the number of the truck is H86. Was there more then one truck flying these?
HDX. Was a long time ago. Same year I was born. Lol.
AHA The old clutch is NOT SLIPPIN AFTER ALL Thank God Thanks for jumpin in 69 hayes !!! When we were looking at the truck down there we also saw the road that had been put in up behind the shop and all the old HD's were parked there all in a line! some were the Nanaimo River Division trucks that were later used as Water Trucks and Light tower trucks with the big Mercury Vapor lights and generators mounted on them for the N/S Grapple Yarders. As well some of the Copper Canyon HDs were in there also. It was around this time that Nanaimo River and Copper Canyon became one Division I think. Ask your dad
Here's the picture of H86 flying the Jolly Roger, picture taken mid 60s on Vancouver Island
God they were beautiful trucks Straight as a pin and looked so tough
Nothing better than cruising down the mainline in an HDX on a sunny day in 6th and lockup 80 tons on , and can't see the trailer for dust, and thinking man I love this job
Some of the guys that are not all that familiar with these trucks can see in the above picture the mufflers c/w spark arrestors on each side of the water tank. Made for lots of noise!!! H86 was delivered new to Copper Canyon Division M&B Feb 3/1965 Came with a 12V71N GM engine 59-60 Allison trans and 90,000 Clark rear diffs 11:275 ratio with a top speed of 45 MPH and a 53Ton Hayes trailer. Part of a 3 truck order along with sister trucks H 87 and H57 All three trucks were HDX 43-90 models Good post 69hayes
Was up having coffee with BTC yesterday and we decided to get this thread going again. Gonna start with a few early pictures of HR MacMillan before M&B as well as just a couple BSW pictures Just so some of you that didn't know how it all came about will see for yourselves. HR MacMillan and Prentice Bloedel of Bloedel Stewart and Welsh became one big company in 1951 to become MacMillan & Bleodel. If anybody can fine tune this PLEASE JUMP IN !!!
I've been dying to see some red and white.....
HR MacMillan Export camp north west bay. 1950
Bloedel STEWART and Welch.
Franklin river division.
First photo of the Hayes was was north west bay not franklin. Sorry
View attachment 111987
Franklin river division. 1958 View attachment 111987 View attachment 111988 View attachment 111989 View attachment 111990 View attachment 111991
Will upload more soon.
Linky no worky.
In 1950 before he joined with Prentice Bloedel, HR MacMillan had bought 11 new Hayes trucks for his Northwest Bay Operation They were all like the one pictured above 20-19 models. Equipped with 200hp Cummins engines, Worm drive rear diffs and 11 foot logging bunks and Hayes 25ton trailers These were the heaviest trucks built by Hayes for the logging industry at that time. Truck numbers were 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 43 44 45 and 54. There was also one at his Wakeman Sound Camp #297. In 1951 he and Prentice Bloedel amalgamated and between the two of them they had huge tracks of timber and needed equipment right away. In late 1951 He got together with Hayes in Vancouver --They were trying to introduce an all new concept in Heavy Trucks to be known as an "HD" The cost was extremely high to change over the assembly line to start building these new trucks so M&B paid up front for 17 of these new "Concept" trucks. They were all HD 30-70 models with 300hp Cummins engines and 65,000lb--Timken 4600 rear diffs with 12 foot Seattle bunks and 12:00X24 tires The trailers for these trucks were 36 ton Hayes. Total cost for each truck and trailer unit was 23,500 dollars. These trucks were to start replacing the railroad at Copper Canyon Division. 11 of these trucks were sent there starting in June of 1952 Unit numbers H59-H64-H65-H66-H68-H69-H71-H72-H73-H74-H75. Because of the time being taken to build these trucks the new Shawnigan Division trucks were used at the Canyon for only a short time till the order was filled by Hayes, so H60-H61-H62 and H63 hauled at Copper Canyon for a short period of time! Squamish Division (St Vincent Bay) got two of them also H-58 and H67. That was the 17 trucks In 1953 M&B ordered only one Hayes truck and it was an HD20-70 unit number G54 (200hp Cummins and 4600 rear diffs) It went to Port Hardy Division She was NOT an "H" number but a "G" number because it was a dump truck. Will start posting pictures of these trucks next.
post646 I will repost asap Sorry guys
My back is killing me from fighting this computer due to the faulty links you provided us with. I'll see you in court! ROFL!
How's this?
Franklin river division. 1958
I feel better already. Thankya. Looks like one ancient chassis that tower is sitting on.
The new concept HD Hayes. 1952 June
From the last post.
I bet those guys in 1958 thought it couldn't get any better than what they had to operate. Like so many things equipment was adapted to do a job, then improved over the years, to do it better and much easier.
Loggerfan. When you next talk to your Dad,ask if he remembers Edwin Davis.Ed started at Nanaimo River then on to Eve River.I was just talking to Ed on phone and we just talked about your Dad and how he was living a block from Ed's uncle on Hamilton in Nanaimo
Big Bird Ed Davis was the dispatcher at Eve River for many years. I saw him a few months ago in Port McNeil. He must live up that way now. Didn't get a chance to chat with him.
You are right.Ed lives in McNeil,went there about ayearago to drive off-highway for LLL.To many health issues.He was to come down island this week as his oldest brother Ken passed away but not able to come down.
Copper Canyon 1952
Copper Canyon 1952
Cooper Canyon 1952
These were Hayes "Promo" pictures. They show this new line of Hayes Trucks working in the logging industry. You can see there was no off side mirror (R/H) No hinges on top of the hood-it was a one piece top section with the two lift off engine side panels. Hoods were all painted same color as rest of truck "Apache Yellow" After a short period of time the top of the hoods were painted "Forest Green" in the CC shop. Also there is no battery box mounted under the passenger door only a running board- The batteries were inside the cab in the "Jump Seat" just like the LM Macks. Also note the exhaust pipe is 4 inch going into the muffler and 2 - 2 1/2 inch pipes coming out the top. The round topped rad tank was also identical to the Mack rad. This proved to be problematic with the 300HP Cummins engines because of high engine water temp when pulling adverse. These trucks all came with the "Stub" front bumper. Most of this first series trucks (1952) would keep these bumpers right through their entire working career ..In 1953 Hayes introduced the "Push Bumper" that would be used on their trucks right up to the end of production in 1975
More great information, and pictures. Loading that way had to be a little slow, neat to see how they used what was available. Looks like the stakes are short, and would take some very careful loading.
In Post 662 the log dump at Chemainus in the 4th frame,a loaded truck pulled under the "A" frame and a second truck had to wait back behind the turnout.Empty truck would back into turn out,loaded truck came under the sticks and empty would drive away.All was well until HDX trucks arrived.If someone bumped the brow log,it would get a bit weak.More bumps and then the brow log would need repairs.Then came night shift,first time backing into blind side in the dark was a bit nerve racking.
an old m&b hd from northwest bay division now being used as a water truck
HDX,something keeps making me go back toPost 662 frame 3&4.The background looks so much like Cowichan Bay.Is there any chance of this being the dump they once had?Chemainus dump had a high rock bluff in the background where Bare Point fuel storage is located.just have to ask.
BLK PRINCE The dump is Chemainus Dump. The RailRoad "Jillpoke" is just past the "A" frame in the picture. As a matter of fact the rails are still in those pictures but the plank decking kind of hides them Look over by the brow log
Hey HDX! Nice to see you posting pictures!
Welcome back trakloader! Good to see you on here again
Hope to be here to stay, got Windows 8 figured out now I think. Did you get the email I sent you?
Circa 1951 Johnny Dojack pictures.
This picture was taken at Copper Canyon Division about 1953 showing two of the new concept HDs.
Sproat Lake Division H-40 being delivered new 1958. It was part of a 3 truck order: H-40, H-41 and H-34.
Franklin River Division new HD, H-38, being delivered in 1958. Part of a 4 truck order which included H-39, H-05, and H-35.
What was color then?
Apache yellow with top of the hood Forest green.
Mighty fine looking trucks, sure enjoyable to look at.
I know the BCFP guys felled and hauled a 200 foot pole for Calgary and everything BUT!!! OURS WAS LONGER !!! Ours was 225 feet long AAHHAA!!! It was cut down and hauled to Chemainus in 1958 to be shipped by freighter to England as a flag pole for the KEW GARDENS. I will post a series of pictures that I got from Sandy Macham. They came out of his dads collection so the credits will be for them. There was several pictures taken that blended in with these so I will try and get as many of them on as possible when I get time
I have a question about a M&B P-16 that had its cab burn up in a fire.I am going to say sometime around 1984.The truck was only a few years old and was sent back to Pacific for repairs.We rebuilt it(New cab & paint)) and sent her back home.I think we had the engine sent out for inspection as well..Other than the smell(and cab)l the truck wasn't to bad.....If I could find my book I could tell you what truck it was....Does anyone have any info or stories about this incident .......Cory
At Nitinat we had burn up,I have picture of it coming back from the dump.Truck was 40-83 and driver was Donnie Wrght of Duncan.I will post when I learn. This may be a different truck to the one you remember diamondtguy.
It was maybe H22 from Eve River or maybe H123 from Cameron Division H22 was a conventional and H123 was a Preload
I can picture myself sitting on the back of it with no cab,and I remember working on it...My memory says conventional P-16 and Detroit powered...but I could be wrong......Cory
Hi HDX; Nice to see you have started posting pictures and indeed some great and interesting pics. Re post #675. Truck unit got #H40 but trailer got #V41? I thought trailers got #x numbers? Do you know if Jim F. got the pics I mailed to him?
I didn't get any pictures will send you a private message with my email, as I sure would like to see the pictures.
Hayesno1 Welcome back!!! When MacMillan & Bloedel started buying these Hayes trucks the trailer designation was changed to "X" The "V" painted on the trailer body simply meant that trailer was for vehicle# H41. The trailer number was actually either X122,X123 orX124. The three trucks built were H40 H41and H34 These trucks had consecutive serial numbers as did the three trailers that were part of the same order
HDX; Thanx and thank you for information re trailer numbers. I have not heard from Jim Faconer after I mailed pics to him. I do hope he got them. Better post some pics - I all most forgot how to do-- LOL.. Welcome aboard BLK Prince!
Hayesno1,thanks for the welcome.All done with assistance and under the watchful eye of HDX.
Falling the Kew Gardens flagpole at Copper Canyon 1958.
More flagpole pictures.
Loading the pole on the trucks. Front truck H-75 driven by Stan Dyke. Second truck H-65 driven by Bernard Feeney. All these pictures are from the Sandy Macham collection.
Through Camp and crossing the Upper Canyon Bridge.
The rest tomorrow night.
fantastic pictures Steve. I am guessing that was before 2 way radios! Those 2 drivers would sure have to trust each other.no place for cowboys! Doug
HDX When you had posted about the flag pole being 225' long it sure made for a lot of questions in my mind of how it was done. Some really good pictures have answered the questions. A lot of hard work and engineering to make it happen, that is for sure. Sure glad you were able to post the pictures, thanks for taking time to put them up so we all can see them.
HdX What graeat pictures, we are so lucky someone took the time to take pictures of such events and record history . So many things have happen and were never recoreded and are losted when those who wittnessed it pass on . Thank you to those who took the pictures we have and share them with us.
HDX; Great pics. I could not agree more than with you Camptramp. Those people make this site so great and interesting.
I was part of a crew who hauled a 120 ft broomstick from bush to dump at Lake Cowichan. Lead truck had butt end on his truck bunk,rear truck had top end on his truck bunk.Leader was Jack Gundersen followed by Dan Wickham. Dan had to back up for 18 miles.I followed with lowbed and American loader to unload. What a chore. HDX would know how this is done and may have done it himself.
BLK PRINCE Yes I hauled the last wooden "A" frame for Coleman Dump I have pictures from Franklin with Johnny Miner backing up H229 and Gerry Edmonson going ahead H281 back in 1969 Will post those later but for now we will finish the Flagpole ones. 72 hayes Yes they had truck to truck radio's The move was done on a Saturday (no traffic) and Stan Dyke did the calling of what gears and what rpm's they were using and Bernard just kept in time to his calls. This bit of history was just too important to let slip by. This was basicly the same method that BCFP used for their Calgary Pole and the big Fir logs that went to Osaka Japan for the 1970 EXPO Pavillion also from Copper Canyon in 1969.
Absolutely excellent! I never saw most of them before, thanks for sharing.
Trucks approaching and crossing Silver Creek Bridge.
Coming into Chemainus.
Unloading and securely stowed on deck of freighter.
And that my friends is the pictorial history of the Kew Gardens Flagpole.
The last picture in post #702 was the picture that got me started on a quest to find some part of this piece of history. Back in 1985, I, along with Vic Laughlin and Jim Falconer found what was left of the H75 in the bush down at M&B's Shawnigan Division. I talked to Walter Miles the Master Mechanic down there and bought her. We found the water tank a couple weeks later when we went back with the help of Jamie Bracht and his lowbeds. There was not much left and one of the employees down there, Brook Williams loaded her remains on the lowbed for us with a log stacker. She came to Port Alberni and that was where I started gathering missing parts to restore her but part way through I lost my storage space at the museum truck shed and so I decided to give her to fellow restorer Bruce Adams from Ladysmith. She is down there safe and sound awaiting her turn to be returned to her former glory. I will post some pictures of her as we found her. Could never track down whatever became of H65 so she has been lost to history. After many years I found and bought another truck that I may clone as H65. She is one of the early ones and looks exactly like her so maybe it will happen. Then all we gotta do is find another flagpole LOL
Very well done!
awesome thanks HDX
Thanx HDX. It was very interesting to see the rest of the story behind the one famous picture we all know.
As I said, I am posting the pictures of H-75 as we found it. On the door you will see F831. This was a number issued after she was finished hauling logs and became a fire tanker, then a ramp truck for hauling small cats.
Bought a super-charged engine for it and found the water tank. The next two pictures show the cab after it was dipped at ReadiStrip in Victoria.
Cab coming back from Ron Sherwood's body shop where he fixed the cab corner and primed it for me. Last two show it back on the truck.
I had an exact front bumper made by Morley Jamieson in town here and it was just like the original ones and installed it. She was starting to take shape pretty good when I lost the storage so she had to go south and one day Bruce will get to her!!! This pretty well puts all you guys up to speed with what ever became of all that part of history. Now I just have to decide if I will clone H65 or not. Thank You all for checking out these pictures
Thank YOU for your efforts to return some of these trucks to pristine condition!
I am in awe as to how you do all of this restoration and keep hauling logs!
That F-250 is somewhere between a 1977 and a 1979, and it sure does look nice.
1979 !!!!!
Finally found it. This was the crest made to commemorate the flag pole move. The trucks are done in red and white because they became M&B's colours and stood out better on the crest.
Excellent !
I love that Bullmoose!
EVE RIVER - WE DELIVER!! Finally found these old pictures - Don McLean sent me these too many years ago. Some of you guys will be able to identify the drivers here.
Turbo oil line failure?
H-22 Driver Bob "Swede" Mellon Fresh out of shop after rebuild. Second picture left to right Drivers Tom Mathiason, Ed Smith in rain coat, Rick Rennie, Gord Gustafson, Ted Klettke in hat, Glen Friesen, Robbie Fredrickson, Bob Mellin, General Foreman Glenn Venus in black Eve River hat, Harold Berg in back. Bottom of TN main.
WOW! Nice to see these pics from Eve! I recognize most of the guys, in the first pic is "the Swede", I can't remember his real name. Second pic from left to right is Tom Mathiason, Ed (can't remember his last name), Rick Rennie standing behind him, Gord Gustafson, Ted Klettke, don't remember the next fellows name, Harold Berg in the very back, Robbie Fredrickson and then Glen Friesen. Thanks for posting the pics. Oops a few minutes to slow.
Thanx HDX. Takes me back to when smiley faced tires and red and white ruled the woods.
Scratching my head,I cannot say as I recognize that engine could someone pass on any information.Thanks.
KT series Cummins, 1150 cubic inch (19L), inline 6. Off highway application 525 to 600 hp. Ap40
Thanks for that,never seen one.We run Cat,Detroit,ISX and we have a few yard dogs with N-14.
Ahh those are the modern electronic laden motors of today. The K series Cummins first hit the truck market in the early 1970's. it started with a KT-450, 450 hp which developed just over 2000 foot pounds of torque. This engine was designed to fit in the same space as the venerable 855, which later became the N-14. Ap40
Went from a 16v71 in Pacific to a 3406 in a 1981 KW and I have had a 1999 Frieghtliner since new and will not been around the other jewels also with a 3406.
N 63 n 63 is a drill king 1000 came new to eve river div in the 1980es know it well
S-99 Peter Dawe............. An Eve River name from the past. N-63!!!! Was that Don Palmers machine or Barry?
HDX a question for you, H50 is a HDX fire truck in Port McNeill .Any history on her?
075 H50 s/n 6338 Delivered to M&B Port Hardy Division Feb 28/74 12V71N 59-60 Allison FU 910 front axle 91,000lb Clarks 15.033 Speed 33MPH Pretty standard M&B truck 075 By any chance does this truck still have the Hayes modified shifter with the lock-up right on the shift tower like the Clarks ??? It left the factory with that and I was just wondering if it was still in there
075 H49 and two 60 Ton Hayes trailers( X46 and X47) were delivered Feb 29/74 also to Port Hardy Division
1974 was a big Year for M&B and Hayes They ordered 24 HDX's and 36 60 Ton trailers. 20 of these being PreLoad Trailers Will post all the Divisions and unit numbers when I get a chance
Loader is parked right beside it waiting for the lowbed in the morning . Will look first thing in the morning. Tried to talk the Master Mec into rebuilding it and using one of the 849's as an tanker. But no luck going to rebuild the 849 instead
Port Hardy Division H49 H50 Eve River Division H37 Port Hardy Division H83 Queen Charlotte H42 H43 Franklin River Division H316 Sproat Lake Division H73 H74 H75 H76 Cameron Division H88 Port Hardy Division H84 H85 Cameron Division H89 Queen Charlotte H44 H45 Cameron Division H90 H91 Franklin River Division H317 H318 H319 H320 H321
HDX - where did the H73, H74, H75 & H76 wind up in the end? I remember those as being the last Hayes that were bought at Sproat Lake - they bought Pacific P-16's (H-323, H-324, H-325 & H-326) the year I started there. Where did they go, for that matter?
Went and looked at H 50 today and she has an electric shifter HDX CAT 3408 for an engine now
jackd H76 and H154 came to Franklin for a short period of time then we were taken over by Hayes Forest and she along with quite a numbers of her sisters were sold off. I think maybe Lamare Lake got a ton of them Maybe somebody from up that way could help out with Unit numbers. H154 went with us to HFS but was later taken to their Duncan shop and from there she was also sold off. Next time I saw her was in the RB Auction I think Hayesno1 posted a picture of her all repainted and fixed up. 075 OK Thanks for the info The electric shifter must have been installed at maybe Port Hardy shop. There was not very many electric shift towers installed in the HDX's Most were the Williams air-shift tower's How does she look now???
BC-- M+B Franklin River
BC-- M+B Copper Canyon Bob Cook standing in front of the HDX Hayes he drove .
camptramp The picture in the Franklin yard through me for a sec then realized the picture was printed backwards Couple of the WHD's one with the V12 GM and the other with a Cummins and at least one HD so it would have been early 70's Very nice picture of H30 See the classy old side cab HD Hayes with the fire tanker in the background
Still has the water tank on it but they cut off the back of the frame and the riders. Fair amount of rust in the cab now also.
Good eye HDX the picture's a little fuzzy but I posted it anyway's
It is a good one Sure takes me back to a moment in time I just held a mirror up to the computer screen and there it is!! Tell Bob Cook Thank You from all of us for sharing his pictures with us all!!!!
I'll do that HDX , Bob is one of those guy's that always comes across as a real gentleman. Its really amazing lately I've run across a few old friends and inquire if they have any pictures from their time spent in the woods . Most of them are more than happy to dig out a picture or two , and sometimes an album , but most just never had the camera or the time . Always hard at her at a steady pace to get the wood over the brow log.
I took these pictures 46 years ago when I first started driving. The truck is H-126. This was a typical M&B landing.
These 3 pictures are of 1965 WHD Hayes trucks at Franklin River.
Franklin River in the 90's.
This was taken in the Franklin yard showing left to right: H-92 with lowbed, H-110, H-319, H-317 and H-321. In the background are some of Crown Z's yarders and loaders waiting to be loaded on the barge at Coleman dump.
Rigging crew crummy got clipped by a logging truck--shop said "Get it to the shop any way you can." So they obliged.
Well that's one way of doing it.
HDX; great pics of my favorite Hayes model - WHD. Re post #751 Picture no 3. Truck at right looks like an HD model.. Please post more!
Hayesno1, here you go. These pictures came from Jim Falconer, Don Watt and myself. We're trying to find as many pictures of these WHDs as we can. ENJOY.
More WHDs.
Last WHDs for tonight. More to come.
My Dad, Lawrie, with his WHD in 1968 down in Sarita.
HDX,post 759 # 1 and 760 look like same load,but just seems a bad looking load.
Yes it was the same load Blk prince He had a hell of a time getting under the "A"frame because the load was off to the drives side. Little bumping and pushing and both the A frame and the load moved enough to just make it!!!!!
Post 752 I should have told the story--- Shows H17 with one of the first pups we pulled at Franklin in 1977. If you look at the "Dolly" it is a 36 Ton trailer that we borrowed from Crown Z to see if we could make this system work before spending a ton of money, We borrowed two of them and used them for several weeks and then M&B bought 6 really nice 50 Ton Columbia Dollies from an auction up in the Bulkley Valley. They were painted green but the Franklin Shop went over them and painted them red. I have managed to save one of them and there are two more up in Pt McNeil at Ian Zimmermans place . Would be nice to save two and have enough to set up a three load train for display. The other two trucks are Fred Ewert with his H319 at Coleman Dump and Gary Cathers with H14 up on branch 59
Post 757 1&2 ,is this the 192 and 195 arriving as new units?
YES Sure were beautiful trucks NTC 380's 5&4 trans 90,000lb rears 13 foot bunks and 50 ton trailers. H192 shown at the CPR Ferry terminal in Nanaimo
Post 757 1&2 ,is this the 192 and 195 arriving as new units?
Did they also have planetary axles?
YESSSSSSS These were the first planetary rear end trucks Franklin River got March/65
HDX; thank you to you, Jim an Don for posting these great pictures. I really enjoy and I have all ready looked at them several times. It seems your dads truck #H192 got a new bumper or did they weld some plates on the bumper it was delivered with? Was this kind of bumper better compared to the I-profile bumper? Re. WHD still going, I think Olsons 1974 WHD has been converted to a dump truck.
Post 759 2nd pic has a streak right where the truck number is,can you give me the number. I see it has Dayton wheel on steering axle
Blk Prince; that Hayes HDX got unit no #H11
Was H11 being delivered to Sproat Lake Division same day as H194 was going to Franklin Notice H11 has an extra set of headlites above the standard ones!!! Hayesno1 The original "STUB" bumpers that all those WHD's came with were replaced with the optional "Push" style bumpers after a couple years. The stub bumpers were not very good to push the lowbed with and tended to get bent on the outside past the 40 inch frame center section whereas the later style was better suited for the trucks. As much as dad loved the H192 he would finally give her up in favor of one of the 1966 WHD's with the V12 GM and a Clark 8 speed automatic trans (H230) Not very long after he got off H192 she was involved in a head on sideswipe that ended with the driver of the other truck being killed. These WHD's were very fast trucks with a top speed of 48 MPH. They also had a booster protection valve on them that would cut out the air to the brakes if you blew a booster-- on whatever axle the leaking booster was and this was very interesting because you would go sailing into a turn-out for an oncoming truck only to sail right through the turn-out and back out in front of him This was perhaps the best time of our young lives when it became our turn to inherit these huge trucks. After we finish posting all the pics we can find of them I will list what happened to them all and their fates
Thank you gentlemen and good mornin,I see Post 763 was taken when H17 still had a "CHEV" engine.
Thanx for explanation HDX. I prefer WHD models with the "Push" style bumper. On the HD models the "Stub" bumber was less wider T guess about 80" wide. Is there an explanation for that or was it evolution/demand?
#h50 Some pics of #H50 with trailer unit #X15 before she was converted to Water/fire truck. Pics taken in Port McNeill.
#H50 water truck And here how #H50 looks after she was converted to a fire truck- These pics were taken summer 2007 in Port McNeill.
Hayesno1,as well as the X15,I see a second trailer alongside. Could you tell what those units hauled? If they were folding trailers then they could go out to the bush,but to drag them empty and loaded,they would have to be on some sort of a haul possibly around a dry land sort.
They still use that trailer to haul from the upper sort to the lower sort
Thanks
Sure do like these WHD's, they are one tough looking truck. Are the cabs and hoods about the same dimensions as on the HDX models? Also, what about the carrying capacity, loads look close to what's shown on some of the HDX's. Reason I'm askin is I'm thinking about producing a model kit for the WHD. If I can use a lot of the same parts it would sure make quick work out of doing it. Keep those WHD pix coming....they are great! The LJSWL Mack project is being worked on, slow but steady. I'll also be doing the LJSWM as well.
is h50 a pac-hayes or a hayes-pacific ..cab sure looks nice !
H50 is a HDX with a Pacific cab installed on it.
dmills1419 Are you building the LJ or the LM Mack series? The WHD was offered with most of the same options as the HDX. Some came with a Schuler front axle-- "I" Beam looking-- and some came with the FU910 (Heavier) tube style. 72hayes on here has bought the H194 from down in Denver and brought her back home, The above pictures speak for her! The Elk River Timber WHD I own has the heavier FU910 front axle. We can start with mine--The rad is the same as an HDX except for the headlights mounted on each side. The cab is the same-- rear ends are the same The water tank is a little different because it has the fuel tank mounted between the water tank and the cab. The real difference is the frames---WHD has the 10 3/4 deep channel flex frame 40 inch's wide, as opposed to the HDX rigid frame (34 inch's wide). On the WHD the entire sub-frame/water tank arrangement is held on by "U" bolts whereas the HDX has all welded frame turntable and bolt down water tank with integral fuel tank, also the front fenders are also different. Some WHD's came with Cummins engines some with Cat some with V12GM's so they were same as HDX for power and trans and rear ends. All the Franklin WHD's came with narrow track 90,000 Clark planetary rear ends (10 feet across rear outside tires) and my ERT unit came with standard track rear ends (11 feet across rear outside tires) WHD's for the most part came with 14:00X25 tires and 13 foot wide logging bunks, however it was easy to lift the 13 off and install a 14 foot bunk. I actually have a 14 foot HDX bunk on her and also have an HDX water tank on her because the one she came with was in very poor condition and the original fuel tank was taken off and used on another truck. I kept an HDX water tank just in case 72hayes ever wanted to put his back to logging config. If in fact down the road you do decide to build a kit form model of one of these just PM me and we will go through the picture/measurement thing OK Thanks Don
HD stub bumpers were 12 inch's high by 72 inch's wide right from 1952 till 1975 unless the customer specified a wider one The optional "Stub" bumper on a WHD was 12 inch's high by 94 inch's wide. 47 inch's from the center of the front tow pin to outside on both sides
Steve, Sorry, slipped up on the Mack model, ment LMSWL, not LJSWL. The Mack is being worked on fairly regular, got the rear suspension all done, tire pattern finished, and have the cab/hood all configured as well. That model will be 1/48th scale, twice the size of my HDX model kit and it will be offered as a finished model, not a kit like the HDX1000. What I was thinking of doing was modifying the HDX kit I have now to make the WHD model, sounds like the biggest change is the chassis which is not a problem. All the other items are not a big deal from a modeling standpoint. Most modelers want an older truck and the WHD would fill the bill. Looks like the fenders are similar to what's on the HD400. I appreciate all your input, we will try to get everything right on both models.
That is GREAT !!!! Also you can use the same logging trailer so long as the truck is the same width (11 feet) as the trailer. So if you were to make your WHD a standard track same as your HDX it would fit nicely. There is very little difference between a 50 ton and a 60 ton Hayes trailer anyway. I bought a surplus 60 ton Hayes trailer back in 2001 from M&B for the WHD project long before it was restored in 2005 although the trailer is not restored yet at least I have it. I also have one of the original 50 ton Hayes trailers that came with those trucks back in 1965 but alas it is narrow track and does not fit very well so it will await a truck that it WILL fit! Keep us updated as to your truck projects Don Thanks Again
dmills1419, That is great news. I had hoped you were making a kit of the LJSWL (or LMSWL) in scale 1/87. But you can't win them all... LOL... I've made a scratch built LJSWL in scale 1/87 but it would be nice with a kit. Looking forward to see and buy your WHD model. I am building one at present time. I made my own blue prints after I measured HDX's WHD. If you need any pics of her please let me know. I've got aprox. 400 pics of her - many close up pictures. Fenders on HD and WHD are not the same. As I recall top plate at fender is 22" wide on the HD model but 26" wide on the WHD model. I have measured several HD fenders there are some various types/measurements. HDX; please correct me if I am wrong. At the same time thanx for "Stub" bumpers measurements.
075; Thanks - here are some pics of #H50 sister - unit #H49. Her trailer got unit #X274 when I took the pictures in summer 2005. Blk Prince that is the second trailer you cuold see. #H49 has since been painted WFP configuration and she was hauling double trailers last time I saw her in action. 075 might add further information.
Pacific P16 old MB #H323 now running for LLL unit #T320. Pics taken in Port McNeill at upper sort in summer 2005
I might do the LJSWL as well if time permits, but want to concentrate on the WHD for now as far as kits go. I would like to see some photos of your models, I have started a section on my web site for modelers to show their work, would like to include some of yours. Also might need your help on photos as I get started on the project, so I can get things right on the model kit. I'm releasing a B83SX Mack now, mostly as a heavy haul tractor, don't know if that model was ever used in the woods. Also have a Mack AC-6 Bulldog coming out in kit form for 1/48th scale. All this tuff is on my web site at: donmillsmodels.com
That would be nice. You got the molds for most of it I think - cab, frame, rears, wheels etc. I'll check your website rigth away. I am not sure if B83SX was used in the Woods, but I think they were.
Hayesno1,thanks for more pictures. Would be nice to see a truck like this cleaned and painted if it is on a steady run from sort to sort. Majority of drivers are on the go from start to finished so cleaning a truck is not in the cards. Both these units seem in good condition,nothing bent or broke.
Finally took a couple pictures of the two sisters together! These were the last two trucks built in the Hayes Factory Both went to MacMillan & Bloedel H34 (now unit #7) on the left was built as a conventional truck and went to the Queen Charlotte Islands and H17 built as a Preload went to Franklin River Division. Standing between the two trucks is Dave Mills The owner of H34 Both these trucks still haul together down in Sarita area every day.
On the H17 what is the short piece of flat bar that runs up inside thebrushguard? Does the No.7 have her original trailer?
Couple more WHDs. H-198 with driver, Al Horton with a load of big fir from Branch 59. Second picture H-193 getting engine job at Camp B shop.
My dad with the H-230 after he got off the H-192. This was one of the WHDs with the V-12 GM and 8 speed Clark automatic transmission. Both these pictures were taken at the Sarita Dump.
Blk prince The flat bar on the brushguard is welded on there. It was put on so the air to air cooler for the engine could be bolted onto it. When Hayes Forest took the 3408's out and installed the C15 Cat engines they removed the shutters, threw them in the scrap bin and moved the rad back 6 inch's to mount the Hayden oil cooler and the air to air cooler. This was very interesting because now there was three vulnerable coolers exposed. On one of the trucks a driver was turning around in a very tight place and without really knowing it he poked a limb through all three coolers at the same time (both coolers and the engine rad), so now there is oil and anti-freeze everywhere!!! The hood was shortened 6 inch's--- 3 inch's off the front and 3 off the back to compensate for the rad move. As you can see in the pictures Dave added a screen to H34 so this wouldn't happen. He also didn't shorten his hood, Worked very well for him!!!
On Post 788 it seems that a Pacific brush guard has been put on this Hayes yet the same headlites are in place. Am I correct ?
H50 in the background still has its Hayes brushguard but as you say the 449 has had her Hayes brushguard exchanged for a P16 Pacific one. Might have been a driver request or maybe something happened to her Hayes one. The bracket for the front air cleaner is still on her even though the air cleaner was moved to the right hand side now so the brushguard is still bolted up there for strength. When these HDX's were rebuilt up at north island they did a very nice job on them. New Pacific cabs and water tanks as well as new fenders and hoods. Kind of gave them a new life because the original Hayes cabs were cracking and breaking up in the corners and parts are very hard to find as well as costly now.These trucks will go on to serve the industry for a long time to come if they are maintained I went up to Pt McNeill last year and scoped out some of their trucks-- VERY IMPRESSIVE !! Well looked after-- Speaks volumes for the guys that drive them and the mechanics that maintain them.
Hayesno1 I know there is at least one out there that is saying that there was nothing wrong with the original "Stub" bumpers that those WHD's came with!!! Well just take a look at the "Push" bumpers that they were replaced with!!! Do you honestly think that the stub bumper would have stood up to whatever these bumpers did? Look at the pictures Keep in mind that when most of these pictures were taken these trucks were only a couple years old. They were put into what was called "ACCESS" logging--this is where there was no road and the trucks would drive back into the mud and limbs as fast and as far as they could then a D8 or D9 cat would push on the front bumper till they got to a log loader Then when the truck was loaded the log loader would push and the cat would pull the truck out to the road There was more than one of these trucks returned to Camp B with the front bumper and brushguard still bolted to up on the deck boards above the cab because they got ripped off.
HDX, what year did the headlites get lowered?
On the HD's was 1969 and the WHD's they were never lowered always on the rad The HD's it was an option Could be ordered on the rad or the fenders. You could order a wide rad HD with the headlights on the the rad or the quad headlights in the fenders. With Hayes you could order anything you wanted Might not come like you ordered but you could ask Reg the bolt on torque arm assy was an option available from 1955. I went through the the records and the earliest unit I found was built with them on in the frame layout was May 1955. Not saying they were not added to trucks before then but that was the one I found recorded and I went back to 1953
Wow that's cool to know! So I guess it was added to increase the durability and that's probably why most of the "newer" trucks seem to have it? Thanks a lot for looking that up. That has been a fun part in building these models. I get to learn about the real stuff as I'm building the toys!
HDX; thanks for story about access logging. For sure I can see that the stump bumper was not perfect. When looking at pictures of off highway logging trucks there are several different styles/types. I guess some were modified in shops. Look at post #795 of H198. It Got same style bumper as your H17. It's first time I've seen a picture of another truck with the same bumper as H17. Were they special for Franklin River?
HDX; post #759 4th picture shows line up of Hayes WHD and HD models. 3.rd truck from right (an HD) has a different colour configuration - all most grey. Is that a contractor truck or was picture taken when M&B was changing to the new red and white colour configuration?
Please send me a PM so we can figure out with photos. i checked your great website. Many great kits and I got several of them as you know. I could not find the Mack B83SX. Will it be in scale 1/87?
Hayesno1 The front bumper on H198 was a standard Hayes Push bumper All that was done was a piece of angle iron was welded onto the front section of the bumper for pushing. When you are pushing the low bed the less flat surface you have pushing the better! With the angle iron on there all that is being pushed on is about 1 inch high so the bumper will slide back and forth while pushing instead of the whole flat surface of the middle section of bumper. Look at the front bumper on H230 or H192 and you will see what I mean Those bumpers are bashed in and scarred up whereas H198 the bumper is good. When I got H17 new I managed to dodge pushing the low bed for a while but time and the dispatcher were against me. After pushing lowbed once I went to the welders in the shop and they made me the angle iron addition. It was the dispatchers job to ensure that EVERY NEW TRUCK pushed the lowbed to take off the paint on the bumper. Been on there ever since. The welder that made it for me so many years ago was Dave Haggard. Lot of the guys on here would know him from IWA history. You asked about the HD with the funny paint job No--It is a company truck All that happened was it was for some reason either pushing lowbed or it had to be towed back to Camp B shop because of some problem. Engine trouble or something like that. I would think maybe pushing lowbed or one of the rubber tired log loaders. When the roads are wet and its raining and you are pushing --the truck will get covered in mud because the rear wheels of the lowbed are right in front of you and all that stuff gets thrown up onto your truck. Not uncommon for a truck to be completely covered to the point you cant tell any colors Just mud. Most of the guys on here that do this know what its like. Hard to describe until you actually experience it first hand. Lots of mud and rocks bouncing off your hood and front of the truck. Was very common to have both your headlights broken also if speed was involved
Could anyone tell me what the red color might be? Either a color number or a name? Thanks,.Reg
M&B Red was the name Dulux II Acklands paint number for it was H-150903C Seems everybody had their own numbers. Sproat Lake Division was a totally different red than all the other M&B red paint!! Theirs was almost Chinese Red Will see what other Numbers we can find Reg. Island Truck and Autobody in Nanaimo had the best color match I ever saw to the original Red they came with!!!
That's great info HDX. I was torn between M&B and BCFP colors for my HD model but the wife said it needs to be red so M&B it is! I was always a fan of how the trucks looked at Franklin River anyhow so her choice suits me just fine. Is there any reason that some of the trucks had a green hood and others didn't? I kinda like the red, white and green...
That will be interesting to get the actual colour numbers. Thanx HDX. There will always be a place for Red and White in my soul. Just reading HR's biography. Kind of reminds me of Steve Jobs but doing wood instead of silicon. Unbelievable energy the man had. Too bad what he built wasn't still around.
RCP57 All the M&B trucks came with the Green hoods! It was just that the color schemes were decided by Vera Jones and Equipment supervisors. Vera Jones is a little known lady that in fact ordered a lot of M&B equipment. We can go into her later. Reg like I said the trucks came red and white with the top of the hood's Forest Green old CIL# 2331-83088. Only the very top of the hoods were green so if you were standing beside the truck it would look like there was no green there!! On top of all the Hayes hoods, HD WHD HDX WHDX They started to build the hood with a center section 14 inches wide X however long it would be depending on the truck. This is where the two top hinges would be riveted then the two top side pieces were custom fit to the truck. What is interesting here is the fact that you couldn't take the hood off two HDX's built together and exchange them for each other they just would not fit properly, Sounds goofy but it was a fact WE TRIED IT one weekend and went to a lot of work for nothing (H108 H111) On the HD you are building you would measure from the outside of the two top hinges out-- FRONT is 7 inches and the rear is 16 inches That is for a standard say M&B hood on a needle nose. Draw a line front to back from the 7&16 mark and that is your Forest Green section center and both side's They did the same thing with say the H17 It was 14 inches at the front and 17 inches at the back That was standard color policy. There were lots of M&B trucks repainted and the entire top section was green same as when they were all Apache Yellow. I had that on H17 for a while but the novelty wore off Just didn't look right. That is about all I can tell you Let me know if it works or you need more fine tuning LOL
DBDLS The sad part about the whole M&B thing is that even the government couldn't wait to see his empire torn apart!!! They in fact allowed it all to take place. You look around today and see what happened. The sad thing is there is nothing left of old HR. When you drive through MacMillan Park on the Alberni Highway even the "MacMillan Park" signs have been silently disposed of THEY ARE BOTH GONE!!!! I went to great lengths to find out where they went and just who the hell hauled them away and got nothing but a runaround One theory was they were rotten and for safety sake had to be taken away. OK I can handle the rot thing, after all they were made of wood and in the forest all wood eventually does rot--- So why have they not been replaced??? They have tons of money for new designer out houses and nice custom built walkways so people don't get their shoes dirty just like we have in the bush-- but no intention of ever replacing HR's signs Maybe just Maybe we could get some guys together and really raise hell with our MLA's over this. I am told that WFP is looking for some cheap PR well this might be a good place to start!!! There are lots of world class wood carvers out there on the Island here and god knows there is no shortage of un-exportable cedar slabs so why can't our wonderful Forest Service use some of the money they charge people to go into THEIR campsite's and hire a carver to make new signs. HR MacMillan EARNED IT! Why is it that people are so against giving credit to someone that deserves it. I didn't mean to soap-box about it but it pees me off. Its a small thing but every time I go through there I cant help but wonder, here was a guy that gave so much to this province and they treat him like this.
Thanks HDX! I didn't realize that only the very top of the hood was painted in the beginning. Since I don't have an HD to look at I have only guessed where the hood hinges would be. How far apart are they on a real HD? Once I know that I can scale down the measurements and figure out where the colors will go. I will also probably realize how out of scale my truck is!lol Thanks for the history lesson! Reg
On ALL Hayes hoods HD WHD HDX WHDX the center section of those models are the same -- The center section is 14 inches wide times the length of the hood. Average HD hood was 60-62 inches long. Measure your model , Find the center the top of the rad make a mark with a pen then do the same to the cab that will give you a starting point then just go 7 inches on each side of the mark or as close to your scale and you are there! All the measurements I'm giving you are true Hayes HD and HDX measurements. Measure half way down the engine side of your rad and it will be 32 1/2 inches wide where the hood would fit. If it was an HDX it would be 48 inches wide. The front of the HD WHD HDX and WHDX cab are all the same 54 1/2 inches wide The standard HDX hood is 70 inches long, I tried not to screw you up here --if I did just PM me and I will do whatever you need
Unbelievable HDX. Why shouldn't credit be given where credit is due? You'd think all these capitalists of today would be celebrating the empire building abilities of HR. Mind you he didn't have a lot of good to say about the government's management of the forests. Same for myself. Anyway HDX I have another question about some obscure bit of MacMillan Bloedeldom. Would you by chance know what font was used for the MB logo? I thought it was just a Helvetica Bold but on closer examination it is slightly different. Curiosity has the best of me. Thanx.
DBDLS Go down to any of your local Print Shops up there and ask them. They will tell you right away! I don't have any of that on my computer but the print shop could tell you. If I can help with logo's or anything PM me and we will work it out. Sorry I let you down!!!!
If you read back in history HR MacMillan was a well schooled Forester who became the first B.C. Provincal Forester , and then went into private industry before becoming an entrepreneur starting with the MacMillan Export Co. when the TFL's were created in the early 1950's , he pointed out the process was flawed and what would happen to the Forest Industry in B.C. is exactly what is happening to the Forest Industry in B.C. today . They are probably trying to sweep him under the carpet for being correct . When they should be replacing that signage with a Brass one to commemorate his contribution to the B.C. Forest Industry. Had the Back Benchers in Victoria had taken his advice in the 1950's . Ours and our off springs future would be brighter in the B.C. Forest Industry . Its not what we do its how we do . HR you were right!
Thanks HDX. I will have to save all this info for when I build an HDX in 1/10 scale to match my 850KW.
camptramp All valid points HOWEVER MacMillan Park is his park!!! We--I am speaking on behalf of ALL M&B employees-- would just like the TWO Cedar signs replaced! Not rocket science Not an unreasonable request!!!! I did however make the mistake of saying the "Forest Service" when in fact it should have been BC PARK SERVICE Sorry God forbid the forest service has been gutted to the point of extinction so we cant go to them with hat in hand. WFP is making record profits here in the Alberni's and has not put anything back into it so maybe if there was a shred of decency there perhaps this might be a worthy project.
Point taken HDX a simple gesture of respect to a great man. I wonder what the news media could do for the cause.
camptramp Willing to try anything!!!
You might already have them , but here's some other book that shed light on H.R. MacMillan The Man Who Gave Back by Robert D. MacRae Empire of Wood The MacMillan Bloedel Story by Donald MacKay Sawlogs and Steel Rails by George McKnight and Three Men and A Forester By Ian Mahood and Ken Drushka
HDX heres a page out of my sons University Social Study coarse text book The Pacific Province A History of British Columbia by Hugh J.M. Johnston
HDX,do you have any info on the 296. Friend,Ed Davis says he got it new in Eve River. Menzies Bay had trucks in the 400 series. Did anyone else have this series? The last hi-way trucks at Chemainus were also 400.
Blk prince H296 HDX 45-98 Delivered to Eve River Division Feb 13/1969 She came along with 7 sisters all between mid Jan and Feb 1969. H291 H292 H293 H294 H295 H296 H297 and H298 They came with 53 ton trailers X331 X332 X333 X334 X335 X336 X337 and X338 The CL350 MACKS were all in the 400 range except for the one they got from Copper Canyon that Robbie Robson drove down there. It was transferred up there after a few years at the Canyon. Your friend must have thought they had the world by the tail 8 BRAND NEW HDX's Fantastic Could you ask him if he has any pictures of them he might share with everybody on here. They may be just a memory now but back in the day they were the best. Maybe some of the M&B guys on here from up there might fill in the blanks as to what ever became of these old girls Thanks Again Blk prince
Thanks for info. Edwin went on to be dispatcher at Eve,retired now in Port McNeil. I will call and ask about pictures.i plan on being at Rathtrevor Park on Easter weekend. I will let you know for sure If you want to come over I will bring rivets. More to follow
Maybe we can hook him and 075 up together sometime if he does have pics OK
That is great idea
There is a picture of H-293 being loaded in the bottom of Kunnum Creek in Ed Goulds book page 133 unloaded page 161 if you have it. I have a picture of H-292 in my shop pulling an adverse at TS 57 for any old Eve guys thats Tlatlos Pass H-297 is a sander at Mcniel. Pictures on here in prior posts H-295 is a water tanker at Mid Island. H-443 is still hauling logs at Mid Island
I am not familiar with Ed Gould,I will have to look that up.
Black Prince Low and behold I do have one picture of H-296. She is right behind H-298 at the Eve River Dryland waiting to get dumped. I have yet to figure out how to post pictures so not the best option. That being said our place is open most days and HDX can give you the directions as to where we are I'm expecting him to show up sooner then later as he has a picture of 17 in M@B colors pulling a train through Camp B for us.
BTC,you and I are in the same boat as to posting pictures. I have several from my time with CZ at Nitinat and do want to share.
This was my first regular truck, H-126. Then I moved on to H-99 - swiped yellow paint from body shop and repainted her. Also put engine side panels back on.
First picture shows H 192 trying to get under A-frame. In the background is Buck Berry driving JS Brock logging truck (red Kenworth). The next one shows low-bed (GO2 - ex H231) hauling J28 grapple yarder into Sugsaw with cat pushing. This was Franklin's first grapple yarder.
This was my first automatic. 1966 WHD with V-12 and 8-speed Clark transmission. Truck would do 48 mph, 8 forward speeds, 8 reverse speeds. I really loved this truck. It was a nice-sized off-highway truck and fun to drive. I kept this one until I got the H-17 new.
Whoever got your "hand-me-down" would get a fine unit. In regards to lowbedding a grapple Yarder,did each driver have a preference as to which way the boom went? I tried hauling one with boom back,operator swung boom to the front so he could back off,got half way and machine fell on its face as he did not raise them boom. After that we hauled them with boom ahead.
At Franklin we loaded ALL machines boom back--In the above picture to load that machine we had low bed ramps(A big log with back fill) built so you just pulled up beside the ramp with the lowbed and when you were where the operator wanted you he would blow the horn Then the interesting part was he would walk across the bed deck till the machine was going to fall face first off the other side-When the bed tilted that was point of balance. Swing boom to the back and boom her down then chain her down ( turn Buckles) on each side suck the grapples into the boom and chain them down and off you went. When we got the new detachable lowbed in 1972 you would split the lowbed and the machines would walk right on drop the grapples --chain them down and then walk into them so they and the lines were tight, most times they would have to walk past the point of where they were going to sit so you had room to hook the bed back together, then back up We didn't tie down very much on the big lowbed The only thing was the grapple lines were always chained at the back so the push truck wasn't getting hit with them swinging around. When we got the lowbed with ramps on the back the machines will walk up onto the deck then swing around and back into the gooseneck with the counterweight then boom down and chain down the lines. We found that loading them this way all the tree tops breaking off would land behind the water tank on the push truck as opposed to everything breaking off and landing on the hood of the lowbed truck or through his windshield-- Specially with the long poles and super snorkles with their booms and all that rigging way out there and so high. The trees have grown over the roads so bad now and we cant get WFP to do anything to help us So we do it our way and it works for us. Last week one of our drivers was pushing the lowbed through central north with a grapple yarder and a limb broke off and came down and took out his R/F windshield. I know that every operation had their own way of low bedding and some liked boom back and some liked boom ahead. We all had our own reasons for what we did and it worked for all of us cause we are all still here. Personally I liked the boom back thing cause you always had a reference point in the dust when you were the push truck-- You never took your eyes off that grapple--if you did loose sight of it you spiked her right now. I will try and get some shots of pushing the bed for the guys on here so you can see what Blk prince and I are talking about.
Well done my friend!
Murk100 The Low bed in post 835 is the one I think I saw in the background of one of your picture posts from long ago. There was a picture with a grapple yarder and in the back you could see the old girl. Its the profile that you never forget
Interesting points on the lowbedding, HDX. I recall that they always loaded the machines boom to the rear at QCD, as well. After the "experts" at Weinerhaeuser took over, they insisted on loading everything boom forward. Causes lots of problems, the booms and snorkels are always snagging trees and turning the house on the machines. Not to mention the falling limbs hitting the truck.
Signs HDX,great to see you on Friday! As we drove out of the park later in the day, what did I spot behind a park shed but large wooden sign" MacMILLAN PARK". I gave a sigh and thought that if you had seen them,they could be on their way back to Port.Lol.
My contribution toward keeping the M&B memories alive. It still has a few vital pieces missing but I got this much assembled while I wait for some more parts to dry. I hope to have some scale decals made before the show in July. Thanks for looking, Reg
Wow! That looks great! Awesome job Reg!
Fine looking paint job. I'm smiling just looking at it. Thank you.
I'm glad you guys like it! I wish it was the same size as 115 but I'm still pretty happy with how it's turning out. It should be a good little dump truck when finished. Reg
What is there not to like! You do awesome work. What you do is fabulous.
That HD is looking great....put a more realistic background behind it and most would swear that it was a full size rig. An awesome piece of work, why is it that everything seems to be better out in British Columbia. even the modelers? Must be something in that crisp fresh western Canadian air?
Thank you very much guys. Well it's almost complete! I will wait for the paint to cure before I add windows and I will have to see the decal shop about getting that done but it's looking almost ready to haul some material.
Two pictures of H-109. It came new to Franklin April 22, 1972. Driver was Mario Luvisotto. He kept this truck until he retired in 1975. It then became a spare truck. Some years later Mike Murphy picked it up as surplus, took it to Port McNeil Division and rebuilt it.
Tell the story of the bent door
Loading in a windrow pile Log got out of the grapples hit another log and it came down and slammed into the door. Being the smart guys they were they choked the door with a chinch line and yarded her open Smart like everything!!!! They actually gave this driver a brand new P16 not long after this. We wont go there. Good news is H109 got a great home She is or was still going great guns last time I saw her.
Did nice job on rebuild,what engine does it have?
The Hayes looks great....HDX...why the comment on the P-16...Other that the fact you don't like Pacifics...Was there something wrong with the truck.?????.........Cory
By the valve covers, Looks like a Cat 3408, not 100% sure, Ken
Here's a couple of short videos with my little HD outside for those that are interested. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEE2u_cABDA&list=UUrzqEOj31tJ-DusnO8Onw7A https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOp7niwMLIc&list=UUrzqEOj31tJ-DusnO8Onw7A
diamondtguy Not its not that at all. All BSing aside the P16 rides like a mattress compared to the Hayes. Mine has the set forward front axle and this makes her ride rough. It was just that this driver was not the first choice due to his style of driving. He actually called on the radio one day and asked if anybody found his brake wrench He said it would be easy to see cause the drivers side steps were still with the brake wrench wherever they were He took a couple days off and the dayshift mechanics took the steam cleaner to the interior of that new truck to get it clean. No as for the Pacifics I like them I love to see them in my mirrors everyday. As for H109 Yes Mike loved the 3408's both Direct injection and pre-cup. Didn't matter as long as she was a "CLATTERPILLAR"
Unbelievable,a friend of drives for Arla Trucking. He pulls into fuel pumps today with a flat tire. He is hauling from Boulder Creek up Copper Canyon. The culprit is a railroad spike! After 55yrs those nasty little pieces of steel are still showing their faces.
As long as logging truck travel the Mainlines that were once railroad grades there will be rail road spikes showing up in tires. The gravel cap that was once covering the old sub grades built over rail grades is long gone , what they are grading now is the sub grade. The deeper they go the more spikes to show up . The last several years I drove logging truck ,in the Port Renfrew ,Lake Cowichan areas ,instead of throwing the RR spikes I spotted on the road over the bank , I started taking them home . When I retired I had two five gallon pails almost full of RR spikes!
HDX....I was just curious and I know you are brand loyal and I understand that with your history with Hayes..At one point Pacific and Hayes would have been competitors but that died when Hayes was shut down for no good reason...I also know Pacific got some good Hayes guys and their expertise was passed on for a few more decades.I am sure the P-16 reaped the rewards.I myself had some input on the pre-loaders with the goal of building a better truck for everyone... I am sure there are some "not so nice" P-16 but it can probably be traced to how they were spec'd out for there intended use..As I have learned here they get moved around and end up in enviroments they are not suited for.. Due to my History I have a soft spot for Pacifics but Hayes was built in my neighborhood as well.I was only 15 when Hayes shut down but I remember it well... Some day I hope to go for a good ride in a P-16 or a HDX... Cory
diamondtguy Cory We both have to be realistic as to our trucks There was just as many Hayes trucks came off the line with " defects" shall we say I saw HDX's come from the factory with vibrations the would plague the truck for most of its career A good example of that was H109. However Mike Murphy fixed that by starting from scratch when they rebuilt her-- another was H166 that went to Cameron Division new in 1973. She eventually went up to the north end of the island. She shows up on here from time to time with her Pacific cab and up graded 121 rear ends (from 91,000)pulling lowbed now. Its her front bumper that gives her away. I have also seen a P16 that came from the factory with a bent frame!! A lot of these things were induced to the trucks by our own shops when repowering trucks etc. That was hand building at its finest back then. Funny how time erases the questionable things we saw. Now we only think in a compressed time frame, and remember a selective part of things. Too bad you missed our Hayes 90th Anniversary show, Pacific was well represented there. You have a standing offer anytime you want and have nothing better to do, We can stuff you in either or both for a day if you make it this way.
Picture 2 H-11 and H-194 at Cameron Lake Love picture number two of these trucks being delivered via the public road, at a very recognizable location! HDX, are both these trucks WHD models? If so it sure shows the difference in two trucks ordered for different logging divisions. Why the differences in front wheels, different axle specs?
H-11 is an HDX and H194 is a WHD Both were ordered for MacMillan&Bloedel in the Alberni Valley H-11 went to Sproat Lake Division and H194 went to Franklin River Division There was a number of difference's between the two trucks as well as being different models Both trucks have the Schuler front axle but H-11 has Dayton Hubs and the H194 has Budd Hubs on them. H-11 had Dayton wheels all around truck whereas H194 came with Dayton wheels on the truck and Budd wheels on the trailer and steering axle. This was a nightmare for the tireman because he had to carry two different styles of wheels with tires mounted to every road call he did. Each Shop Foreman would order what HE WANTED in a truck that he thought best suited their hauling needs. Franklin went from the long tested HD model to the WHD and Sproat went from the HD to the HDX and WHDX. Shop foreman spec'd the trucks out with whatever he wanted. The drivers didn't really have input and that is why none of the Franklin Trucks came with the Jacobs Engine brakes and other Divisions did. We never got a truck with an exhaust brake till 1989 when the H138-- P16 came new. There was one 1958 Kenworth came to Franklin with a Jake but it was removed due to driver not liking it. The H192 series would have been very primo trucks with that little addition on them but it was simply not to be Even the later trucks with the V12's would have been nice but you learned to live with what the S/F ordered. Vera Jones was not as involved in this end of purchasing so much as the trucks themselves.
Interesting thoughts about the (new) P-16 with the bent frame.I can see it happening as they were hand built with out a lot of jigs or fixtures.There is a huge anount of cutting and welding on a I-beam frame and I can see something going wrong or getting missed..Q/C would have been a after thought.It wasn't till the 80's that we got real anal about the frame Q/C on the bolt together frames.We made proper jigs,fixtures and had procedures to follow.We even purchased a proper frame flipper.The frames are built upside down and we used to flip them with the cranes.. We (the P-16 guys) always inspected the frames after they were painted and I remember we sent one back to the welding shop as the new welder didn't like corners and chose just not to weld them..These kinds of problems happen to everyone tho... I will be heading over to the Island as soon as everything calms down from last years accident.(My head on collision)In the mean time I am going to hang around and soak all of this logging stuff up.. Cory
I finally made a little more progress on the HD and it was nice today so I took it outside for a "photo shoot". I still have some details to add but it is getting close!
Just so hard to believe it is a model!
Yes unbelievable, amazing work, almost a shame to cover up that craftsmanship with paint, but that really brings it to life! Hope to see it in person.
After seeing RCP57's new M&B dump truck just had to post a new HDX. H-111 was delivered to Franklin Friday May 5, 1972. The driver was Trev Bagley. Trev drove his car out on Saturday morning to go over his new ride. We took these pictures while inspecting it.
This is a picture taken at the Hayes factory on West 2nd Ave. It shows a new HDX ordered by M&B prior to delivery. Truck was being test driven. In this picture you can see the green section on top of the hood that is not visible in any of the side profile pictures.
Do you think we are seeing the same truck? Looks like different steer tires.
No Blkprince Different trucks For some reason I seem to remember this being H109. This order was H107 H108 H109 H110 H111 and H112. Trev got H111 new in 72 Franklin also got a new lowbed trailer at same time and the decision was made to take one of the new HDX's and stuff it under the lowbed! Trev only had H111 for a few months and he was told he would loose H111 to that job so he was to get a new HDX early in the next year (1973) He got the H59. Then as things went back then-- the next year Franklin was to get a series of PreLoad trucks and Trev being the senior driver interested he got the first preload truck H316 in 1974!!!Trev was lucky at bingo also. So he got three new HDX's in three years Not a bad record LOL
What is the gauge(I presume) mounted on driver's side top of rad?
Man you don't miss anything do you Its called a "MURPHY SWITCHGUAGE" It is plumbed into the top tank on the rad and then the other line goes down on the bottom of the rad. There is a couple wires that go to a red light on the dash that tell the driver when the water level in the rad top tank gets below a certain level. If for instance you blow a bottom rad hose or something like that (Heater Hose etc) and you don't realize it is draining the rad when the water level drops the red light comes on. VERY CHEAP INSURANCE The beauty of it is the driver is looking directly at it all day long so when the level drops so does the needle in the glass .Lets you top off the rad before it trips the light. Our M&B shops all swore by these Same as the alcohol injection systems (sniffers) installed years ago. Just fill the plastic bottle all winter long and no air freezing problems. (There are those that said these would dry out the rubber in the valves but I never saw that) After we were sold to HFS they rebuilt most of the trucks their way and all that stuff was thrown in the scrap bin. However I managed to get one of our fantastic mechanics that had a stash of some of these goodies to reinstall one on H17 so it is still there. I will always be eternally gratefull to Doug Farrell for all he did for us. He was one of those guys that became a so called statistic of the economic downturn in the forest industry. We all know what a bunch of crap that was However Doug went to Alberta and as soon as he walked in the door they knew exactly what they had and grabbed onto him. I often think about how lucky they are and how sad for us to lose someone so talented and conscientious as him. Todays forest industry is getting just what it deserves. Treat people like that and they wont be back!!! Worst part is there is guys throwing in the towel every day and heading for ALBERTA
Thanks and so very true
For you guys that are wondering what Blk prince are talking about, this is a switch gauge.
This is the alcohol injection system (sniffer) that all our trucks had mounted on them.
Found another one of my old albums with WHD pictures. These three are Dad with H-192. First picture is on Branch 600, loaded. The second is at Sarita dump. The third is of a very young mechanic, Dave Boorman fine tuning the engine.
These three pictures are of Dad with H-230 at Sarita dump. The second one is Moe Cullion with H-197 at Sarita dump. The third picture is Al Horton with H-198 coming out of the Nitinat.
HDX, you are a walking encyclopedia when it comes to Hayes trucks, and many other things in the forestry world. Thanks to and so many other for sharing!
Talked to a lady today. Said she was raised in Caycuse,dad was Reg Dakin. Went on to be Dispatcher at Eve River. Any memories?
HDX, the second photo in this set (truck #268) is the same truck my uncle Mal Taylor drove. Post #684 in the Vancouver Island thread. Different driver in your pic though. HeavyEquipmentForums
Taylor57 Yes it is!!! There was a number of different drivers on these trucks over their working career. Sad thing is none of these Sterlings survived our harsh environment. Only place to find one now is down south of the border.
First picture is loading at L-326, Doug Richmond running the loader. This was the first load I ever hauled from him. Second picture I was driving H-195 because regular driver, Bernie Kruger, was away for a week and I drove his truck. Of course, I had to get two flats! George Summers was the tire man and T-21 was the tire truck. As you can see, it was all done by hand.
A couple of pictures at Sproat Lake Division.
H-17 on Nadira 100 with a load of fir and the second picture is a winter scene on Upper Klanawa 1000.
Top picture seems to have single stack,was that after Cat engine changeover,also differen front flaps
Second picture,was that start of a holiday?
The first picture is H-138, H-139 and H-234 converted to debris truck. The second and third pictures are a couple of the Franklin pre-loads in Camp B 1977.
Top pic was taken in summer 1997 Hauling from Bob Tassie and the L219 long boom The M&B mudflaps never got ordered till June 1996.That is a story in itself!!! The winter scene was Dec of 1995. 3408 was installed Nov 1980. You can see the wear line on the angle iron on the front bumper where I was pushing the lowbed and had not yet painted over it. This sure saved the front bumper as you can see
HDX, I see in several posts there is a Camp B. Where was that?
Camp B was Franklin River camp. Back in 1934 Franklin actually started at Camp A That is situated part way down the Alberni Canal from Port Alberni It is still there today on the maps. As timber and rail lines expanded so did the camp. Most of the buildings were built on two fir logs (skids) When the camp was being moved further out into the bush in pursuit of the logging the married quarters and bunkhouses were loaded onto skeleton cars and flat-cars and hauled out and set up further out. There were 3 different locations Corrigan Creek then Parsons Creek then finally Camp B. There was a camp down the canal towards Bamfield, called Sarita Only way in and out was by boat/barge. Sarita was a truck logging camp no rail. In 1958 Frankllin and Sarita were put together The rail at Franklin was taken up and the big reload(Load was lifted off the trucks and loaded onto rail cars** out in the NitNat was disassembled Coleman Dump was built and all the loads were hauled to Coleman. The Sarita dump was still in place and the trucks working in that area would haul there.Crews would travel from Franklin to Sarita every day in crummies. Another area was developed between Franklin and Sarita called Spencer Creek. A dump machine and "A" frame were installed there and it became somewhat of a winter show for the Franklin crews. In the winter when huge dumps of snow would force them out of the high country they would migrate to there. In 1966 M&B were expanding more and the decision was made to start a new division called Cameron Division. Located just a couple miles outside of Port Alberni. The Franklin crews worked with M&B and it was to be a separate operation but the senior Franklin crews would crew it. As people were needed the Franklin seniority list would dictate who went down there. Being so close to town it was a no-brainer for the older senior guys-- shorter day and all plus the thought of all new equipment. BUT the downside was they were still all on the Franklin seniority list so whenever someone down there got laid off he would bump back into Franklin. When the snow started to fly in oct/nov Cameron Division would shut down and all those guys would bump back into Franklin. This would mean that the junior guys would go home for the winter. It was just the way it was and if you were not happy with it you just quit and went somewhere else!!! In all honesty they had that right,after all that was what you had seniority for. At the very height of production in about 1976-77 there was over 45-50 HDX Hayes P16 Pacifics and the odd Kenworth spread over three working areas and maybe 700 guys all working there. When WEYCO came in around 1999 they changed everything forever Franklin was closed and every building was torn down or burned the big shop was torn down every fencepost was removed from the Camp B site. Then they went after the Sarita area It had the newest big truck shop in the empire with some very big buck equipment in it but alas Weyco had it torn down also! Kind of a scorched earth kind of thing. This lead to a great amount of resentment between all of us employees and this Weyco management team ( they always referred to themselves as a team therefore no one person could be held responsible). I guess it was just the in thing for companies to do Hostile take overs were the in thing We saw it with Crown Z and BCFP as well as Elk River Timber the list just goes on. Buy them up shut them down bury anything even remotely involved with their history and teach them all a lesson. IT DID NOT WORK!!!! History will substantiate this. Well Blkprince another long winded answer but there she is
All good to know. Interesting week just past. New head of local RCMP stopped in forAM coffee. Name Dave Herman's. Said he grew up in Justkatla then Port. His Dad was a manager at Franklin? Took his Dad out to Franklin and the look on Dad's face was quite shocking. Dave said it was hard for his Dad to see nothing left. Any memories?
Ed Herman If Dave Herman is the head of your RCMP Detatchment Black Prince you have a good man at the helm. Dave's dad was never Manager but he was a long time M&B man. He was a high rigger at Camp B back in the day. Was also Woods Foreman and General Foreman. He worked with my Grandfather at Camp B, Port Hardy and Camp 5. Retired at Menzies Bay around 1984. Still a very fiery guy even in his 80's.
Thanks for the info, hearing never was 100%. Lol
Ed was the G/F when I started and Frank Herman was manager in the 90's Ed Herman had a little short box Ford 1/2 ton T188 1967 vintage
I was wondering HDX, was the manager Jim Jackson at Franklin when they tore everything down?
YES!!! He was and YES he did and loved every minute of it !!!
I thought so, we inherited him after. With pretty much the same results.
Sad how one individual can have such an impact on so many lives and so much material and have the power to do what was done.
L-326 HDX The L-326 long boom. Is there any chance that machine ended up at Menzies Bay? They had an L-326 long boom as well. Jim Jackson, no good memories for me there.
BTC It could very well have. Both the L325 and the L326 disappeared in the 70's When the two new long booms L166 and L167 came in 1972 the other two were kind of kept around still loading. Paul Ethier went on the L326 right after Doug Richmond got off her. He stayed on her till he got a new rubber tired long boom L33 in about 1978.When it came into Sarita by barge I was sent down to push it up the Sarita Access hill to Franklin camp but upon arriving was told No pushing and the foreman (Jamie Lawler) had a strap. You will pull him up the hill because the shop wants to take a series of pictures of it in pristine condition and we cant have the black and white stripes scuffed off the back end where the push bar was. Then we got a couple more long booms L219 and L220 I cant remember if these were still "AMERICAN" or if they were the new Cypress machines. I always thought they were so beautiful with the custom made hand rails around the top deck of these machines!!! I will post a couple pics of Paul loading R/W wood with L326. When she left Franklin she was still a long boom.
Looking for pictures of the H-31 and H-55. Saw them once but cannot find again. Murray Duavidson got 31 new at Copper Canyon and Jack " flip" Wilson got the 55 also new at the Canyon
BTC,just had a thought. If you are around Port McNeil and want to giv e Ed Davis a call then send me a PM and I will send you his phone number.
HDX,thread has been quiet so here goes. When any new trucks were delivered to Franklin or Sarita,did drivers stop at Cameron and load trailers or drag them all the way in?
I know that it's not as cool as real truck pictures but how does this look? Time to put it in the truck and haul it to the show tomorrow...
I think it looks great Keep up the great work Reg.
Thanks Hank. Sorry about the double pictures now. I tried to change the size to make them clearer. As you can tell it didn't work and now you have to look at it twice... sorry.
I would say it is a real truck. The man hours are a credit to you. I enjoy all the pictures. Not sure if I will be there tomorrow or not. Drive safe.
Looking good Reg,can't wait to see it tomorrow. Had another great day!!
Blk prince No They were all delivered with the trailers in the down position. Some came with a mounted spare tire or spare wheels on the back but trailers were towed behind
Another question answered. Got to love the Forum
Just home from truck display,met RCP57 and dirty4fun and ALSo talked with Jim Falconer. Just a great afternoon. Something missing though,cannot put my finger on it. Lol
Had a great day at the truck show yesterday. Sure enjoyed meeting more people will make it even more enjoyable having a face know to go with the names on here. Thanks for making the extra effort to meet up.
dirty4fun,enjoyed the visit. Travel safe and enjoy your trip
RCP57. While the pictures look very good of the truck, seeing it and all your other models was great. What great details and then to see them operate was amazing. Thanks for letting me haul a couple loads of dirt, probably the cleanest I have staid hauling dirt.
Thanks guys! It was great to have an opportunity to meet up with you and have a BS! I'm just getting ready to head back up to Duncan for the second day of the show. Maybe I'll see you there again today in the sandbox! Reg
I finally got around to putting the last decals on the truck today. This winter I will do the interior and call it good.
I thought it looked pretty good before, now it looks great, RCP57. I have shown a bunch of people the pictures of your equipment and then told them that you make almost every bit of it. Great eye for detail, man!
Thanks Jim! I'm just trying to get it finished before your next visit!
Hello RCP57,are you going to giveher1or2 sticks? Or maybe an Allison electric shift.Lol
That is good Reg, I will drive it carefully. Not much I can do about the loader operator thou. Looking forward to my next time there and spending more time seeing the countryside and meeting up with my new friends.
Reg,I am looking for the thread that shows this little beauty doing laps in your yard. My grandson here in PG wants to see it. Can you help me find it?
Try here Ian, https://www.youtube.com/user/RCP57 . I'm uploading a few new videos right now from today but they won't be up for a while. I started to build a logging road through the bush...Of course I had to yard the logs(firewood blocks) first with the skidder, then use the EC300D to load road base into the HD, and then haul the gravel from the pit to the new road...lol
BLK prince, just get Reg to box up and DHL it up overnight to PG and you will be the worlds best Grampa
Great idea Hank. For the right amount I'll bring it there myself!lol
Now you are talking but then I would have to go back to work!
No price is too much when you're the best Grampa ever!lol
Some one has to work to keep the pension money coming in, I am sure your Gran son will let you drive it once in a while, if you are careful.
This is going in the wrong direction,only retired 2 weeks,must have fun!
HDX,your mail box is full,cannot send youPM.
I found this old M&B preload fire tank in Stillwater this summer. Unit #F238
Here is a interesting one a MacBlo liebherr buncher has anyone have info on it
I thought I was told at one time M&B research had built one with outside help, might have been tested at Menzies bay? Anyway the story was it couldn't handle big enough wood so it was dropped.
That Liebherr machine appears to have low ground pressure tracks on it. Those would not seem to be very well suited to ground with much of a slope?
Hello all on here, I've been a member for a few years now but only made a few comments. I've really enjoyed all the postings in this section of HEF. Well done and thank you. I worked for M&B for several years and totally retired about 10 years ago and moved to Coutts Alberta. Winters can be ugly and I usually have projects and this year I hope to scan and post pictures that I have. I'll be stumbling through this. If they're turkey's let me know and I'll stop. Also if you think they're ok, let me know. Thank you.
Welcome aboard callingtheshop, did you used to work at Kelsey bay? I showed the picture to my wife since her father used to be a faller there.
Callingtheshop,welcome back. Ex CZ Nitinat driver here. Know lots of M&B people. Some from Kelsey Bay. Andy S and DickL from the cookhouse both from Ladysmith. Andy gone but Dickie still here. Great to see this thread move up from the back pages.
H-48-h-52 Calling The Shop. You will know doubt remember the fine gentleman that drove these two trucks at Kelsey. I just enjoyed coffee with them this past weekend, hadn't seen them in many years.
I had no idea that Liebherr produced forestry equipment beyond material handlers, especially a buncher. Very interesting!
A couple more and then bed time. Was a darn good boy today and will be missed at the Smugglers Saloon. Have a good day at work tomorrow.
callingtheshop callingtheshop Arnold Get me the shop!!!
You must mean Steve and Rudy Katovic? I don't remember the truck numbers that much since I was only at Kelsey Bay for a short while. Mainly Eve River, queen Charlottes guy.
Oh yes, Arnold and his dry wit whether on the radio or the phone. Glad to hear the Union Bay Brothers are still telling stores.
Sproat Lake Division 1999
More Sproat Lake Division.
One last Sproat Division shot.
Quite the selection of trucks they have there....looks like a cool place to spend some time and get your feet dirty....
Kelsey Bay Division around Spring 2000.
More Kelsey Bay.
I notice they all have catwalk (maybe the wrong term) supports on them and all have single exhaust.Maybe been repowered by then or KTA powered.Last pic looks like it has dual mufflers
This is a very rare picture. It clearly shows a Hayes pushing a Pacific P-16!! (LOL)
Very good....I am to busy laughing to say anything....
When I worked at Kelsey in 1990 a lot of the trucks had KTA power, they had three older Kenworth's with 12V71's and a few 12V71TT's.
I remember putting quite a few KTA engines in the P-16's.I assumed it was a terrain orientated decision.I am sure there was more to it than that tho....Cory
I am sure the Pacific is holding the Hayes from sliding out of control due to slippery conditions. Pacifics always do what has to be done to help the other guys.
That Hayes looks awfully famaliar
When I was at the yard last summer as I remember there was a Hayes HDX using a cable to move a Pacific truck around the yard one day. Sure the cable wasn't nearly stiff enough to be pushing on the HDX. Also as I remember it was H17 that had to move the Pacific out so it could go for a ride on a lowboy trailer. Guess they all are better when running, but it did make a dandy anchor for a while till they got enough air in the tank to get the brakes to release.
The truck photos at Kelsey Bay show the trucks parked in the bone yard, was that the end of them?
In the pictures from Kelsey Bay,one shows a trailer with an "I" beam reach. I came across 2 others in all my time I in Nitinat. Not very common
callingtheshop Yes that was just before the big WEYCO garage sale. They had already taken delivery of a number of the fiberglass fleet trucks from Inland Kenworth in Campbell River. I took pictures of some of them also, didn't know whether to post them or not. I went over there with Ray Sumner who was our truck foreman at the time and Franklin was looking for more trucks. The trucks had been all picked over prior to us going there. H61 was without a doubt the cherry of the bunch. Whoever drove her sure looked after her. I got a pretty good idea how he felt having to walk away from her !!!!Went into the shop and went through the drivers maint books just to see what they were like from a drivers perspective , and the C/H said that the H61 was going to NWB. We ended up with H38 and H58. It was a sad time for the M&B guys because they could see the end was coming like a speeding train. In the Sproat Lake pictures it shows two of the Franklin trucks that had been sent over there for a short time. H60 and H66. H66 was a P16 that had been rebuilt with a Mack E9 500hp engine with the 12 speed manual trans bolted to it. Lots of money spent on her and with the original driver (Gary Cathers) she stood up well. But as things work out he got a new P16 PreLoad and she became just another truck. We in return ended up with the H75 and H154 Never was able to figure that one out. H60 was given to Saratoga Ventures in Campbell River back when Barry Ritchie owned it along with truckloads of other parts and equipment. He eventually sold the business to "Saratoga Joe" Wiley who is supplying parts for the forest industry all over the world. I think her frame is still in the blackberry bush's up there.
Calling The Shop That was the end of the trucks days at Kelsey Bay . Most were sold and a few went to other divisions. H-36 has a sand box on it at Mid Island. H-05 is now 2258 at Mid Island. I remember seeing H-58 and H-38 around Franklin in 2001. H-80, H-81 are Dystant trucks and are well looked after. I believe H-52 as well. H-48, H-79 were just rebuilt by Alpine. H-275 is sitting rotting in the head of Toba Inlet . H-35 is still hauling logs today for the Olsens in Acteon Sound. H-61 is at Northwest Bay for Island Timberlands. It's hooked to a lowbed but hasn't moved for quite sometime. That would leave H-03-Kenworth H-39-Pacific H-53-Kenworth H-322-Kenworth Not sure where they are.
Hdx Look at that, beat out of the barn by a truck driver.
BTC When the replacement manager came back to put the Alberni's to bed, He did so with extreme efficiency. The shop had just installed a new set of tires on H25 (the only 850 KW truck Cameron Division had) she was originally a PreLoad then converted to a conventional Well that manager got a burr up his bum and sent her up to Kelsey Bay Division! I lost track of her and have looked for a long time but still cant find her. H58 was totally rebuilt by Hayes Forest and Vern Grey ended up getting her till HFS fell from grace, They all ended up in Campbell River at Finning and were sold out of there. Seems to me Lamare got her. All of the Hayes Forest trucks with 121 rear ends were up there, This included the three 1986 P16's with 16:00 tires that Pat Carson bought just after coming to Franklin in mid 1985 The ones with the Clark 91,000 we sold out of Duncan shop facility.
Kelsey Trucks H-61 was driven for a while by Larry Wangler, when he went dispatching it went to Larry France. Larry France was a very good driver. Wangler was easy on the gear, just a couple loads a day. LOL H-58 was a two driver truck as well. Don "Bulldog" Brier drove her from 89-95 when he retired Dave Bickford until 1999. H-58 & H-61 came August of 1989. H-38 was the oldest of the ones you mentioned Steve. George Saariko had her brand new then Don Howatt when George retired. H-38 and H-39 came together too but I'm not sure when. Back in the thread is the picture of H-39 at the factory. 39 was a single driver truck and very well maintained, no idea where it went. H-25 went to work for Fontaine and Estabrook, last time I saw that truck was likely 2001. H-322 Had a guy inform me today it was scrapped in Head Bay several years ago. As you know Steve you can still find some action shots of those trucks, you just need to know where to look.
I believe I read some accounts of the same driver staying on the same HDX or P16 up that way for 30 years or more. Strong statement for the driver, and also for the job security y'awl had back in the day.
That fine fellow you talk of has surpassed the 40yr mark on same truck. The job security has been shaken for sure. This Driver is a member here known to all of us as HDX.
Fourty years on the same truck. That is STRONG. Haven't there been a few others as well who spent many years on the same truck? Job security seems to be more and more elusive.
HDX would be the guy that can answer that question....
Hello Cory,Happy New Year to you
Happy New Year sir....My long time friend who I worked with at Pacific has found the photos he took at the plant.He says there is a couple dozen.I will post them when I get them from him..Should be interesting as he was the fork lift driver and later our trailer builder.... His favorite Pacific.....A big orange P-16 with a 16V71 in it......Cory
diamondtguy,pictures of orange Pacific with 16v71 will make my heart go pitter,patter.Lol
I am hoping that as it was his favorite truck that some new pictures will surface of her being built....
Sure looking forward to seeing the trucks new and while being built.
dirty4fun....Have you looked through the Pacific thread.I posted all the pics I took when I was there and I believe Hank got his hands on a few as well.....Cory
So I have a question for those that know. I see that the Kelsey Bay trucks have square reaches. What is that all about? Are they better than the round pipes one usually sees or just different?
Guys I have been following this for a couple years now, after to talking to my buddy who still lives in Sayward I joined. I worked for M&B from 1972 when I quit school till 1992. Going from the sawmill in Chemainus to Kelsey Bay for 15 years then on to the Queen Charrlottes. Parted with the Company there and went to Edwards and Assosiates. I did my MD apprenticeship in the shop under Jake and Claude. Hope to see many more photos from you guys and know I have lots myself but as I still pull wrenches at Gibraltar Mine I don't have the time I would like for getting photos on line but will sure try.
Mister Mike. How are you doing man, haven't seen you since you left Kelsey for QCI I will give you a little bit of time to try to figure out who I am hahaha They are tearing the Kelsey Bay shop down, since it has been abandoned it just basically rotted away, too bad, was a good shop. Lots of memories there
Sorry about the quality of these pictures. This site downsizes the files so much that a large photo suffers from it. I started to scan everything to about 300kb but stopped when I saw it all coming out at around 50kb. The KB 50th are from a booklet that's 8.5" x 11", so it should have a large file to display properly.
Spoke to my buddy Pat,he did 38 years at Eve River, he was filling me in on the old shop and the tear down. Not surprised it is rotten I seem to remember it leaking in winter. Still trying to figure out who Wornout wrench is, could apply to so many of us. I need to learn how to post so pictures
MDK-HDM,hello,want to pass on a little info. Ask your friend Pat if he remembers some past workers who are still around. Gord Barney Y&L or Ed Davis Haul and Dispatcg? Gord in Ladysmith,Ed in Port McNeil
I'll give you a hint Mike. I think I still have the record for climbing the show hall hill.:drinkup shf Hurry up and get a few more posts in so that I can send you a private message
Re post#978: Anyone know the make of truck being loaded under the heel boom? Looks like a CBE cab type. I haven't seen anything like it on here before. Just wondering.
Perhaps an older Euc?
Butler brothers first truck maybe?
Looking at the headache rack, you may very well be right. I missed that the first time.
Just had a chat with our friend Gordy Isacson , who ranks with HDX when it comes to over all knowledge of trucks . Posting #978 is very rare picture of a 1955 802 Kenworth set up as an off highway logging truck.
You are da MAN, Mr. Tramp. Thanks.
Not really just connected to guy's like Gordy I. heres a couple of pictures of a 802 Kenworth he E Mailed me .
Thank you Camptramp and Gordy I. I'm guessing they were not too successful since they were so rare. Also guessing they suffered from the same issues that the Euclids did with the single drive axle. Any idea how many made it into BC? Thanks again, the wealth of information (not to even mention the incredible memory) all you guys have is amazing.
Garry Clark Garry Clark retired from the division this past December. Over 42 years lost time accident free falling. Very productive guy up until his final days on the saw. Quite an accomplishment
Very amazing accomplishment. My grandfather retired at 62 from Weyco Vail without a lost time injury also. Much tougher men back then.
You got that right, Hallback. Back then, as Archie Bunker would say, girls were girls and men were men.
Nice to hear that Gary retired without any issues.
Ronald Sprout For anyone who worked at Kelsey Bay in the 60's, 70's, 80's or 90's you would remember this man's name. Along with his twin brother Donald they were two of the biggest characters in camp. Sadly Ron passed away from health complications this past week.
The brothers were great loggers and kept everyone on their toes! Lot's of good memories about them.
These are the last of the KBD 50th booklet.
My parents dug these pictures up of Dad and I checking out the trucks at Franklin R. HDX may be able to nail down the year better but I would say it's around 89-90? I don't have a scanner so I took pictures of the pictures on our kitchen counter. It didn't help the quality any but at least they are pictures from a time when things were still in good swing.
Well done Reg,trucks everywhere,nice to see.( I will not mention H-17 missed a wipe down).
HDX,did Franklin have more Pacifics than the 92-93-94 preloaders?
HDX Question for you, H-257 Hayes truck from Menzies Bay. Can you give me any history on this truck? A friend of mines dad drove the truck at camp 5 and they came across a couple of pictures.
BTC H257 s/n 7073291 Delivered July 12 1967 Caterpillar mod 1693-TA Allison-59-60 6 speed auto BD 90,000lb rear diffs 15.1 ratio so top speed was 33 MPH Was "Kemlustrial Special Red and Superior White She was one of the first Hayes Trucks with the wood grain on the dash. Tires were 14:00X25 20 ply Dominion Super Contractor Standard drivers seat "Viking Bostrom T bar" Ribbed rubber floor mat so she was the standard M&B truck. She came with two sisters H-255 and H-256 All three were spec'd out the same and were delivered with LT53T trailers. These were some of the first Hayes trucks M&B bought that came in their new color scheme. The 5 earlier trucks Menzies got were H 216 H217 H218 H219 and H220 in June 1966 all these were Apache Yellow when new and also came with the 53 ton trailers. Tell him I'm sorry but the trailer "X" numbers were not available Will try and check some other avenues to see if we can find them Maybe Danny Brown would remember them tell him to phone him and ask
Blk prince We only had those three until 1989 when there was two more delivered H139 and H140 along with three conventionals H138 H153 and H155. H140 was given to Gary Cathers new (He was driving the P16 Pacific pictured above- H66- with the load of logs on in the yard. He had a Mack Bulldog on the top of the brushguard in front of the rad-- kind of his trademark If you look close you can see it on there) That truck had the Mack E-9 V8 installed in it along with the Mack 12 speed manual trans. He had it pulling the low bed down in Sarita for quite some time before M&B put Franklin and Sarita back together. Not long after H140 came to Franklin it was discovered that there was already an H140 still on the books and hauling down at Shawnigan Division so Gary was told they had to change the number of H140 and it fell on his shoulders and he came up with H14, Shortly after that Mike Murphy(Pt McNeill) got hold of George Pichor the Franklin Shop Foreman and had a trade deal for him He traded a set of 121 rear ends complete for the set of 91's that were in H14, so now there was another semi-super truck preload at Franklin! She still to this day carries that same unit number . She is one of the lowbed trucks we have at IPL down in Sarita When Hayes Forest took us over they took both H139 and H14 . H139 ended up having 121 rear ends also installed in her by HFS She was sold when HFS left the industry and ended up in Campbell River area pulling a lowbed also
What happened to Pacific H66?
Thank you for the info on H-257 Steve. Also have a picture of same driver (Gordie McDonald) when they tested the Butler Truck at Menzies Bay, interesting stuff. Mr. Brown needs to come check out the archives and his H-440 hauling pups from Iron River as well. I was able to chat with him at a retirement party a few months ago and invited him down. Hope to see him sooner then later. If i heard correctly the other day H-139 is for sale along with the lowbed she is under.
BTC That is good to know. Wouldn't that be something To get her back where she started I will pass on the info. Just gotta dig up some of the pics I took of her hooked to that lowbed when I was up there some time ago. Has anybody seen the old H317 that SureSpan bought then re-sold She was parked in the Middlepoint yard late last year hooked to an ancient lowbed and still had the surespan unit number on her front bumper. Is painted a very different light yellow. Would love to spend some time taking measurements for the 3408 install. Talked to Danny a week ago, he spends time at the Campbell River Museum working in the archives. Kind of our HEF inside man. Wonder if he still has the door off H113 ???
PacificEd Good to see you back. After Gary got H14 the H66 became plagued with maintenance problems. As with H60 the regular driver off her when he got a new Challanger (H159) and that truck also became a shop queen. New to us shop foreman decided Too expensive get rid of them!! Trade was done with Sproat Lake Division, They got H60 and H66. We got their H154 that shook like a dog crapping razor blades and H75 that had some issues. H60 was parted out and her remains were up at Saratoga Ventures , you might still have pictures of her frame from your trip up there. Easy to tell H60 frame Had a huge steel plate welded to front bumper for pushing. H66 I think went to Lemar Lake in PtMcNiell and then parted out.
I lurk a lot and read. It is hard to believe it has been almost 9 years since I was last there. I did a google map search and I was within 100 yards of the WFP yard and a mile from the LLL shops when I was in Port McNeil. I was kicking myself hard over that. I do have a bunch of pictures of the frame up at Saratoga Ventures along with measurements and a crude drawing I did. I also have pictures of a HDX and KW 850 frame too. The HDX frame was also a M&B truck. I've seen you mention the truck number here before.
H-317 H-317 is owned by JLG Road Building. They use it quite regular to move their gear around. When you go over the oyster river bridge on your way into Campbell River Steve she isn't too far from the beaten path.
I think these are from Kennedy Lake Division but I'm not sure. When I was there the dryland sort was in operation and the A-frame was gone. Any ideas?
A brand new truck, 40 years and 650,000 miles ago.
I was hauling out of South Main 5 just the Franklin side of the big Nitinat Bridge. This was one of our big spruce areas. The BCFP 6-231 was on his way to their spruce flats on Nitinat mainline. We were cross hauling with these guys. They hauled their big spruce to Caycuse and we hauled ours to the Coleman dump on the Alberni Canal. Funny thing was we never had each other's radio frequencies. We had an ambulance at each side of the bridge, so old Doc(BCFP) would let their drivers know when one of us was coming and Marlene Pynn our first aid lady would do the same for us.Was really interesting to see what shovel operator could pile it on the highest. One of us would see a huge load on a BCFP truck so you just HAD to beat his load size. And vise vice versa. It was without a doubt the best time for all of us. Good bunch of guys back then!
Happy Birthday H 17 glad that you and the driver are still going strong, you have made quite a team. I do believe Steve is just as proud of you now as he was when he first sat in the seat and drove you the first time. Both H 17 and Steve deserve lots of respect, from everyone. Look forward to seeing you again this summer, and then one day when you are back to your original colors!
Here's one from a few years ago.
callingtheshop That was right at the height of the pup and train time. The "Birdmobile" H208 is there hooking onto an empty trailer splitting the empty trains up Trev the "Yardbird" would have been around there close. Funny to see the L/F trailer stake painted white. Remember that was so the drivers/shovel operators knew it was a lead trailer so they kept the logs regular length instead of having long logs on them This meant that the trailer had been modified to pull pups. (air system and comox hitch welded onto them. I will dig out some of the pup/train pictures and post them.
A couple more when new. First one dumping load at Coleman. The other three show loading the trailer.
HDX you sure have kept H17 in good shape over the years. Congrats on another year! Still going strong and looking sharp.
HD Mech Thanks for that!!! One day Red & White again The same red as above. I still have the two little cans of touch up paint she came with when new but somehow don't think there is enough to do what must be done LOL It is guys like you that made it all work Without mechanics you have nothing. I was very lucky over the years some very talented mechanics have graced her fenders and did some amazing things.
HD Mech Thanks for that!!! One day Red & White again The same red as above. I still have the two little cans of touch up paint she came with when new but somehow don't think there is enough to do what must be done LOL It is guys like you that made it all work Without mechanics you have nothing. I was very lucky over the years some very talented mechanics have graced her fenders and did some amazing things.
HDX,am I missing something here? The pictures above sure look like she has no deck boards over the cab. Why is that?
Well mechanics really appreciate operators who care about their equipment, it makes our job easier as you know. One day my wife and I will make it to Port and hope to see your truck. I have shown her pictures from here and she really likes H17.
Trakloader, where is that jay lift located? We have two and I would like to look at this one! Nate [email protected]
FRPD I think Trakloader's computer is not working, Was talking to him a while ago and he was really having trouble trying to get anything to work.
HD Mech You bet sounds like a plan. Blk prince They are there alright It is the steel plate under them that throws you off. I went out this last summer and had the guys at McLeans Mill cut me new ones out of yellow cedar. Pretty reasonable as well for pricing. What a job to install them though. BUT they smell great in the sun! Don't know how they will stand up to weather Maybe rot faster than the fir ones that were on there. We will see when she comes home and we take them off to paint everything red again. Keep a weekend or three open when that happens LOL
Could be a busy time,see you there
To anyone interested,Ritchie Brothers are setting up a sale out at Duke Point. Do not know the date. Started to see some failed red and white iron with M&B decals
I heard it was to be March 10th .
These have been stashed away since she came new.
The rest.
Cool...Original stuff is nice.I used to have a whole case of those owners manuals but have given all but one away over the years.I have some sort of account sheet as well..There is some Hayes letter head paper around here somewhere as well... As to how I got it all ....My dad got a tour of the Hayes shop after it shut down.He was just as pissed off as everyone else....Cory
Two questions,when new did H-17 come with Allison? And in pictures showing trailer loading,is that a new trailer with old tires?
Blk prince Yes to new with Allison, and the trailer was one of the ones that came in mid to late 1974 with H316 317 318 319 320 321 6 trucks and 12 trailers. H17 came alone and had a new FU910 steering axle strapped to the back of the water tank as a spare for the Franklin fleet. We had just got 17 new HDX's in three years so a spare steering axle set up for a HDX was a good thing to have around.
HDX has H17 always been the same number? Or was numbered 17 as the company had purchased 17 of them in the last three years? Hayes had to liked the company for buying 17 of them in three years.
They were the biggest years for Hayes because as well as other orders The BIG THREE M&B CrownZ znd BCFP were all ordering new HDX's in large numbers One day I will go through and find out just how many they bought in those 3 years. Lots of contract trucks were bought in the same time frame. H17 came from the factory as H17. When it was ordered it was ordered as H17 by M&B. The truck numbers were used starting with H01 through to the 400 numbers that Menzies Bay Division had (CL350 Macks) When a truck "H" number was deleted from the list because of age or was to become surplus ie to become a Fire Tanker or Line horse anything but a log hauler she was given a new number and the old number was filed away somewhere. Like for instance The Lipper, she is a 1955 Clipper that M&B Nanaimo River Division bought used from Curley Brown's in Cassidy as a replacement for another truck - Her company number became H54.When she was replaced her number became F147 This would mean she was now a Fire Tanker/Fire Dept and therefore that departments responsibility. If say a logging truck was to be used as a Line horse she would be given a "J" number and therefore become the responsibility of the Y/L department (yarding and loading) This was for accounting and book keeping, If say one of them need a set of tires or an engine then they were charged to that department and not the Hauling department The original H17 was a LM Mack at Sproat Lake Division. I will post a picture of it. I am not sure just how M&B selected the numbers to be used Kelsey Bay had low number trucks as did Eve River with H11 and H22 Both these numbers were old numbers that somehow popped up again all at different times.
I think the loader that's sleeping was at Copper Canyon and the boom boat marine drive was at Kelsey Bay. Not sure where the aircraft photo came from, anyone on here get to fly in it? The company also had one big mother helicopter that I saw a few times going in or out of Alpulp, just to ferry the brass from the Ivory Tower.
That was MBs King Air 100, Been on it a few times.
Gordy I. Island Timberlands Northwest Bay , Ex M&B P-16 Pacific with Lowbed .
Copper Canyon about 1980
callingtheshop Looks like old H271 not sure but the driving lights look like hers. Looking at the shop pictures sure makes me homesick
A good story behind this. Al had parked on a hill with the park brake on, in neutral, engine running (probably to keep the w/s clear) and was in a ditch clearing debris away from a culvert. Heard the famous Ford snap of the parking brake releasing, looked up and watched it roll down the hill and go over the bank. Kind of an aw-crap day.
Your not the only one After retiring from MB/Weyco I did some consulting work for another company. I was in Pine Hill Alabama at the WY mill waiting to meet with the manager. I was in the lobby and I noticed a video in the TV cabinet with the MB logo on it. I said to the receptionist that I had forgotten that this had been an MB mill at one time and that I had worked for MB in BC. She was what you would consider to be a fine southern lady complete with accent and gentle disposition. She looked at me and said " We remember MB around here with great fondness " I said we do too.
Hello Callingtheshop, does the yarder in your picture happen to be the one that burnt up (had Cat engine), and do you have more pictures of it?
Hello TorkelH, A long time ago and those brain cells became feeble and got replaced with newer and better ones, although not smarter. I think that's all the photos I have for Copper Canyon and I believe it had a 12V-71 TT for power. Approximately 1982, give or take a year. Most likely Sandy M., Brian K. or Larry P. could answer your question a lot better than I can.
This Cat came to Kelsey Bay as a yellow painted demonstrater from Finning and never left the division. Bob Parker was the operator and when the evaluation was being done to purchase it Bob raved at how good the machine was, so it was purchased and it was a good decision as it was a great machine. Unfortunately Bob left before his time, a really nice guy and was missed.
Calling the Shop You wouldn't happen to have a picture of the time Steve Katovic elevated your blood pressure with the 26 boomsticks on H48 would you? Or the Y-31 rebuild. Have a great picture of Mr. Parker on the E-115 however still haven't mastered the picture posts. I did just thumb through an old Kelsey calendar and see a certain shop foreman holding the Safety Dog. Be a good one to share. That cat is still at the operation. It was a great purchase
Mike McGuinness and Ted France used to drop in and administer advice and what colour pills I should be popping during those trying times. Some of the advice was the intake of dark amber fluid when I got home but they always suspected the bottom desk drawer was already equipped. I can't believe that machine is still going or is it just resting? Ask Steve about the time H-48 fuel pump morphed and he had a Super Pump, I asked the guys at Independent Diesel what they estimated the output was, over 600. Actually it sounded nice and crisp when it was pulling hard.
I still like the old flat track Cats better myself. And no, I don't claim to be any kind of seasoned operator. Just personal preference. I would be lost in any of this new "equipment" they have going these days.
I'm happy to see the picture of the high track Cat in M&B colors. I know there was another picture or two posted of one(maybe this one?) months ago but I had trouble finding what page they were on when I was search a while back. I am thinking of painting my little RC dozer conversion this way to match my HD dump truck. I had the two of them out this afternoon after work to fix a pothole in the road... [video=youtube;GQy8kD6gIBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQy8kD6gIBE&list=UUrzqEOj31tJ-DusnO8Onw7A[/video]
Another short clip... [video=youtube;LpqdEbG3qXI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpqdEbG3qXI&list=UUrzqEOj31tJ-DusnO8Onw7A[/video]
Reg, Good couple of videos, fun to watch that is for sure. May need to install some chains to the tail gate of the dump truck so you can spread you patching material. Will save you some dozer time that way. Looked like you must of run that fill through a pretty fine grizzly. Enjoy them a bunch!
I don't remember what year this was and I think it was the L-10, an 075 Madill.
Wow! Those pics bring back memories. Put together lots of those over the years as well as lifting and resetting more than a few to replace slewing rings. Thanks for posting. d.d.
It was really interesting doing the assembly. Special thanks to Bill Forester for recommending the use of proper cranes instead of logging equipment. No incidents with the cranes. I can't remember the year this shop truck came or who it was assigned to. All GM and Chev's at Kelsey Bay and they fit in well there. Each division had their favourite brand, some divisions were multi brands, whatever the new manager thought was best.
Could that be John Rainbow's shop truck? I seem to recall he drove on like that.
It could have been but all the shop trucks in most M&B divisions were similar if not the same style. When I started at KB A company VP inspired Quality is Free concept and part of that was doing any job right the first time. It still makes sense to me. I think it was Greg the tire man that made a poster to enhance the idea and I got a photo of it.
When we started the pup program we had two little HD Hayes pre-loads that were originally surplus from NWB Div H-208 and H-210: H-210 was eventually converted to a line horse and H-208 sat idle. We talked about using her as a yard truck for assy/disassy of pup and train trailers and loads. The Franklin shop really got into it and fixed her back up again and did some mods, as you can see in the pictures.
Pictures of the dolly and hitches welded on the back of the trailers.
Here is the H-208 doing her daily duties. These pictures show her moving two loads around the yard to line up for the lead load to be added to them.
When we first started we were only pulling pups. After we got all the bugs worked out of it our divisional manager, John Marlowe, finally gave in and allowed us to pull three loads at a time.
That sure brings back some memories! I went looking in my file cabinet and still have the drawings for the air schedules, a few are plastic laminated and done by H. Huisman dated 18-August-1977. I don't think I need these anymore, will put them aside for the trip west.
Here's a couple showing the trains we hauled.
HDX,did you pull triples in from the Nitinat or start at Franklin shop? In post 1067 2nd picture,where was that crossing? I always had a question for manager at Nitinat as to how much weight we could put on approach to the dump,must have been safe enough as I never got wet.
callingtheshop Yes they were probably the best times of all. I look at them and all these memories come flooding back, Trev walking around or driving the "Birdmobile" around pushing or pulling trailers. Truck foreman Ken Miller roaring around in the T-771 with fittings and water lines and those plywood pads for under the trailer legs. This was back when safety really meant something . The entire time we were doing this we never had one incident or accident. Shows what everybody working together could do. It was a special time. Something I will always treasure. And yes by all means , any of that stuff will be well looked after. Thanks For everything!!!
All I can say is "Great Pics"....would have been a sight to see.....Can I ask what was written on the side panel of H17 in the pics of her hauling triples. The HD looks good too............Cory
Blk prince We set the entire pup and train program up to be done in the Franklin Yard. The shop was right there, if a trailer came from the bush with something that had to be fixed, it was either taken over to the shop and fixed right there or if it was OK to go to dump it would be dropped off after it came back from the dump and as the trailers were being broke down that trailer would be dropped off at the shop and fixed right away. Norm MacMillan and Dennis Fraser were the two mechanics that kept the system working from the shop. The truck and trailers empty weight was 100 tons, Then you added the weight of the three loads of logs. It was fairly common to have 3-- 100 ton loads of logs and then the combined weight was up around 400 tons rolling along. It was an impressive thing to be around or to just watch go by. It was sometime later that M&B Franklin management had changed and the decision was made to relocate to the NitiNat and try pulling pups from out there. That was when the three new Pacific P16's with the V12 Cat engines were built. BIG POWER BIG REAR ENDS. The SPR 570's worked very well but it was just too far out to work efficiently. Sadly the whole program was shelved and it was not till many years later that Ken Miller got me to re-assemble what we had left and go back to pulling trains to the Coleman dump once more but alas it was pretty well just a final act of a once great system. For this last set up they used Carl with H92 to run back and forth to the dump. The picture you asked about was pulling on to the Coleman Dump deck.
diamondtguy It said "Angels Playmate" Our manager back then was John Marlowe. He was just one of those guys that was totally committed to Safety and Production no matter what it took or cost. He would never allow us to haul three loads down the twisting Coleman Dump road. We kept bugging him and giving him facts and measurements to build our case. The same Mr Huisman that callingtheshop mentioned came out with us with his trusty tape measure a number of times and wrote down all his findings then one day he announced to Trev and I that it could work. Funny thing was, one friday afternoon John Marlowe drove up in his little red international scout and told Trev and I that he was going on holidays for a week and it wouldn't surprise him that upon his return he would see us pulling three loads at a time. When he drove away Trev and I just looked at each other, You couldn't wipe the grin off our faces with a rag!!! John was always worried that we have a bad accident and would kill ourselves. And that is where the name came into the picture. We use to check on the Crown Z guys all the time and see what they were doing and what worked for them and then we would re-work it to suit our program. Lots of weekend cruise's to Courtenay and NitiNat as well as Nanaimo Lakes. The only way we can share it with you guys now is with these pictures. The rest has been committed to history
Thanks...the reason I ask is I have never seen pics with writing on your side panels before.Most of the trucks are actually missing them aren't they ??.Would have been the last part of the 70's ...H17 was Cat powered by then??
HDX, what great pictures of H17 pulling triples, I had no idea that you had done that. Thou it didn't surprise me, as you do seem to have been there and done that, even have the pictures to prove that it can be done and has been done. How great is that, thanks for digging down into your pictures and sharing them and the stories that go along with the pictures.
diamondtguy When we were pulling those she still had what she came with 12V71N 5960 Allison and 91,000 rears. Never had failures. Same as when we were pulling the lowbed Not a lot of failures Slow and steady always! Im not saying that there was not diff failure over all the extreme weight these trucks pulled It did happen but when it did it was usually attributed to wear or something failing (sometimes it was the driver LOL)
As I sit here having my morning coffee all I can think of is I am glad you guys took pictures of everything.You have the stories to go with them as well.
A couple of rebuilds just out of the Kelsey Bay shop.
Callingtheshop Nicely done Mr. T. Wayne Orricks Y-14 and Mike McGinness H-322 A few pictures back certainly the L-10 (Super Bob Marshall) being put together. Dan Fears shop truck Y-52 is still active and so is the Y-19 52 looks pretty weathered but the 19 has a very good home and is very well looked after. Bob Marshalls son Billy runs it for Wahkash Contracting.
BTC,back on post 900 you asked about L-326. Well last week there was a L-326 at the auction out at Duke Point,it was a 7280 American according to an operator from BCFP. Auction was on Mar 10 and by Wed. Nite machine was gone on a barge. Could we be talking about the same machine,on rubber?
The L-326 is in Campbell River now. It is actually a T-Mar TMM 850. Very similar in appearance to a Cypress 7230 line loader as they both had the same designer. It has a Detroit Diesel 50 Series engine with the rads positioned over the top of the the engine compartment and air movement provided by a hydraulically driven fan. Interesting configuration and leaves a nice open engine compartment.
L326, so this machine was barged down to Duke Point and back again? Do you think it is going to work up that way or perhaps going on another barge ride? Thanks for info.
I'm so old I remember the L-326 as an American 700 with a long boom and a great guy named Doug operating it in Franklin River. What was the newer L-326? I've saved the best photo I have of Kelsey Bay for the last. The "A" Team, no question in my mind ever. Too bad the whole group isn't on this.
These Apple I phones are very good at so many things. Not very good in a poorly lit room in camp on a stormy night I can see John Ingihau ( poor spelling) Barry rusch. Dan Fear. Little Wally. Tireman Keith. John rainbow. Tony Hoffman the welder. Fixed my Raleigh bike frame lol Karl Huber. Kerry shiminick Norm Mclellan. Mike smith Ray Murray. Dale Lewis. ----!Davidson. Terry B and. Mr T. Where is Laverne ??? That must be taken around 1986. I would have been 8. I recognize a few more faces. But can't put names to them. I feel very fortunate to have grown up in an M+B camp a ton of history. When you come west this fall. CALLING THE SHOP. please stop by. HDX has my contact info. I have a few items you may like to see.
What an impressive site to see. It must have taken a lot of cooperation from the woods loader operators to keep the load lengths to where they wouldn't interfere with the load in front or the load behind. Awesome pictures HDX. Thanks for sharing.
Callingtheshop. That is one good picture. Brings back some good memories. I just wish I could blow it up some more, cant make out all the faces. I swear Barry is wearing the same clothes today, his hat is looking a little rough around the edges, tireman Keith bought him a new one, but he wants to stay with the one he has. That was a great crew. I never got back to the division until 88 so missed being in this pic.
Ben A Round We did have the odd problem with that, so Jack James fixed it for us , He found an old SP 125 McCulloch Power Saw with the compression release on it. I think he swiped it from where it was stashed away in the old power saw shop. What would happen was , whenever Trev fired it up some of the old timers in camp would be down there in a flash with their old pick ups and would haul away the blocks faster than Trev could cut them. That was not all because once they were down there he had to get rid of them. It was an excuse for them to stand around and BS.
Did the 208 have sticks in her? Not the best for pulling trains around
8V71N with 4&4 originally then the shop put in a 8553 Main trans so with the 5&4 it worked very well. We had a 3 inch rope off a tug about 20 feet long that we could give her a little tug backwards when she would try and pull a big load forward and down off its legs. By doing this we could get the legs up and dog down the fifth wheel. She would hook up a dolly to the front bumper, hook up two air lines one for the fifth wheel and one for the service brakes. We had the front wheel brake hand valve re-plumbed so we would flip it on and it would fill the two air bags under the fifth wheel to lift it to the height of the loaded trailer while you were driving ahead. This way you were watching how high the 5th wheel actually was With the brakes released on the dolly you could push her around backwards and into a load standing on its legs. There was only enough pressure in the air bags to lift an empty trailer, enough to get the legs down. All you could do was get the fifth wheel hooked up on the loaded trailer . Then you would walk around and hook up the service and emergency air lines on the loaded trailer. This would release the brakes on it, and it would roll back just a little, enough to be able to pull the two leg pins. Stow away the third air line (5th wheel lift air line) into the dolly reach and walk around and pull both leg pins. Get back in the 208 and back her up till the loaded trailer came ahead and sat down onto the dolly. Just dog the fifth wheel deck on the dolly in the down position and unhook the 208 and back away. Then the next loaded truck,if you had time would just back his load into that dolly hook it up then stand it up on its legs. Then do the same again with the next dolly. This was putting train loads together. If you need a better explanation I can get into it. Will post some of the pictures of the dolly I managed to save. Then you can see what im talking about a little better.
We all had a different work horse. At Nitinat we used a rubber tired skidded with air hitch welded onto front blade. He put dolly under load and next truck put train together. At Nan Lakes they used a Ford 4x4 to move to Dolly's and put under trailers. No idea what was used on North Island.
All my hats are gone, several had the foam rot out and others I gave away. Geeze I actually bought a Peterbilt cap a few years ago and never wear it. The Finning salesman got nick named "The Hat Man" at Franklin and when he showed up it was like crows at lunch time, the crews would be at him asking for a hat. Somehow I retained the 50th Hayes medallion, the other goodies have long since disappeared, too many moves I guess.
I remember an ashtray someone had on their desk HHHMMMM
Was it for those stinky little cigars that tasted like a little bit of heaven? I'll run these Franklin River photos the way they got scanned, not in any order. These are of a rebuild of a truck, HDX you might recognize the unit number of this one. I don't have a note anywhere on it. I can't remember how many trucks got rebuilt but I do remember that #1 and #2 were the prototypes and from #3 on they were done very systematically and the costs, time of rebuild didn't change much after that. A good crew on them and it was fun. Proud times.
Man O Man when they did a rebuild they did right. Thanks for the photos.
H111 Without a doubt The right hand front bumper was built by Fred . Testicles bent it when she was still under the lowbed Al Evans Fred Steinhauer Dennis Frazer Ron Mueller Doug Farrell Then in the back ground was H102(sand truck with 17 yard Smith box) H38 H48 H97 H102 were the first 4 sandtrucks equipped with the Smith box's Remember when somebody installed the mirror bracket on the door instead of the cab. Every time you closed the door the mirror would go out of adjustment. What a beautiful shop There was a sign up on the wall just before it was torn down that said something to the effect of "Thank You old friend You kept us warm and dry in the winter and cool and dry in the summer We will always remember you" Those few words meant a lot-- says a lot about the guys that worked in them
I never saw trucks rebuilt to that extent in Washington State back in the day. Not even the KW 848s. They would run 'em until they were "old enough to vote", or 21 years, and then either sell them or convert the better ones to fire trucks as needed. Once in a while, they would also kit one out.
There was some sort of recession at the time and no one in M&B were allowed to purchase new equipment unless of some very special circumstances. Most of the trucks we did were tired, usually over 10 years and had lots and lots of patch-ups on them, you know, keep it going for another week or so and we'll worry about fixing it right later on philosophy. Most, if not all fleet management does that but there comes a time to bite the bullet, to replace or rebuild. And a quickie rebuild doesn't last. I think the idea was to extend the prime function 10 more years and then replace the units? I don't remember the costs compared to new, but it was very competitive using our own labour. I also don't remember when the 3408 started to be incorporated into the rebuilds. The 12V DD just didn't last and a change was required. I hope it was worth it, any comments on that?
callingtheshop H17 got the first 3408 in Franklin Nov 1980 Remember the camshaft and timing gear thing! Kind of put a sudden end to the 12V71N. It was then that the decision was made to follow Mike Murphy's repower program. He used the 3408 PreCup where we used the 3408 Direct Injection. God what a beautiful engine I will post a picture of it when I can get it done. H316 above was one of the complete rebuilds with new 3408 engine. She was the first truck rebuilt with the oil cooler up inside the brush guard. This was pretty much what would happen. The truck was driven into the shop and torn down to just the frame sitting on pedestals. It was sandblasted . the welders would go over the entire frame looking for cracks or worn parts, such as the pictures above show. They have already replaced the rear cab mount cross member. Rear suspension was done then steering axle. While this was going on the cab and fenders ,hood etc was in the body shop being rebuilt, When time was right the cab would be re-installed and all the plumbing and electrical stuff was done. It was interesting to see the progress made each week. She remained a loyal mule right up till 2003 when Hayes Forest took us over They cut her up along with H90 H91. Although the "Hayes" script signs were long gone off her , I remember you putting on the "Caterpillar" yellow and black little signs on the hood skirts. I think Helgi Johnson might have been involved with them. I look at the tires and could just weep. If only!!!!!
How big a difference in fuel consumption was there between the direct and indirect versions of the 3408? IDI never made any sense to me unless a natural engine was spec'd for some reason.
Never really tracked what it would have been Not much though. From a driver's perspective the 3408 was really something to have. I really liked the V12 GM but with the 3408 It seemed to bring the truck to life. Those engines would really pull and at 1800RPM they would just shine.I bought a pyrometer from a friend of mine and installed it. She would pull all day long at 900 degrees and if it got any higher it was because you were lugging it or it was starving for air. When she retires, I have a 3408 DI to re-install back into her. Hardest part now is to find the original "Cat" yellow to paint the engine. Was the bright yellow
callingtheshop Does this ring any bells? First picture shows the cost sheet for the engine swap from V-12 GM to 3408. Second picture is engine after installation.
Back when I sold trucks, I took a used 379 Pete out for a spin bobtail a time or five. Couldn't get enough. Had a 3408 and a 15 over. Had to stay out of high gear in a 55 mph zone to avoid a ticket. Broke my heart when it sold.
H-316 later in life. She ended up pulling this custom-built 150 yard debris box between Sarita Dryland Sort and China Creek Dryland Sort.
Now that's a dump truck! #1098, Rick Thompson, I best remember his down to earth description of "yuck". Scunge. Never been a better word since. Now onto something else. A Free Drink Machine. I was told the Gilbert's glasses actually fogged up during a trip to Vancouver while buying that machine. Any truth to that?
Gilligan and his incredible yarding loading beating device. L352 and J-111 or J-112 Now you are making me go into another album
Another album! That is awesome. Never tired of more.
HDX, the old highway yellow is still available from Cat, I think the part number for a gallon is 4c4185.
ben46a Thanks a million That is great news I will go to Nanaimo when time permits and get some. With the number I can get the guys down there to mix up what I will need. When the Franklin Shop installed the engine they painted all the things like the engine mounts etc all the beautiful yellow same as engine. They used 988 loader rear motor mounts and they were very good Never had an issue. As callingtheshop said The first couple were kind of fine tuning everything, after that it was down to a science. The drive shaft between the engine and the trans (remote mount trans) was the heavy Torque Elastic drive shaft made by Hayes/Dana Quite expensive at the time but sure worked well. We still have them in our trucks today. These are so heavy, two guys are hard pressed to pick one up off the shop floor. Some years ago we had a bad accident with one of our Hayes/Pacifics and that drive shaft came out and was never found. You can only imagine the carnage that was happening when it took off.
I couldn't guess how many of those forward (eng to trans) drivelines I put in the trucks..Not only are they heavy but they are time consuming to put in and there is very limited room.Hopefully you have already installed the #32 heat exchanger lines..They were so much fun just on there own.. Even if the truck wasn't close to being ready....you hid the keys and turned the power off.... I still have my special wrenches to do the heat exchanger lines.... I cant imagine one coming out at speed......there would be lots of witness marks...
You just might have the opportunity to use them one last time. Yes I know what you speak of with the hiding the keys and turning off the isolation switch. Franklin shop guys came up with a clip that went over the nite switch just so somebody could not turn the power back on by accident or just lack of communication. Amazing nobody got caught up in those things in all those years. Very unforgiving
The J-28 at Franklin River, very low serial number, a real brutal bit-- to remove and install anything on shafts as the tolerances were real tight. The first set of rails were made of glass as they broke all the time. I think every field mechanic would cringe with the radio call that the track had broken again. It was hungry for logs and produced like there was no tomorrow. One of the shop visits it tore out the new travel gears as it was climbing onto the lowbed to go back to work. The GF of the day went ballistic! I'm sure he lost 10 years with that incident. Couldn't blame him, it turned out the gears were manufactured incorrectly but of course he didn't give a damn. It stayed in service so long that when Madill was contacted for parts they would respond about the serial number being correct as it was so old.
I will say this about old cat yellow, I've had 3 batches mixed and never had one come out right. Its best just to give Finning the 70 bucks for the gallon can of factory mixed paint, and really in these days of waterbourne paint, 70 bucks a gallon isn't bad! Cat paint is extremely durable and goes on very easy compared to a lot of others these days, and shines up quite well with a 5:1 mix.
ben46a I agree with you there Went by Finning in Nanaimo yesterday but also they were closed so could not even order it Am on top of it so will keep you posted Again THANK YOU for the number
callingtheshop Dug into another album. Here is J-28 brand new, just off the barge in Sarita. Operator Chip Smith and hook-tender Skip Edwards.
J-28 on the move, going into Sugsaw Mainline.
J-28's last ride. This is her when she finished her last setting on Upper Hitchie Mainline. I was hauling her down to Coleman Dump barge ramp. She ended up going up the coast, not sure where, or who bought her. She had a very colourful career at Franklin and you can only hope that whoever got her "enjoyed" moving her around as much as we did.
J-28 one really extra heavy machine, guy-line optional, not required. It was glued to the ground. Those crews that were on it sure made it hum, must have made old Harvey smile. I don't know the M&B unit number of the drill in this photo but I need help with the crew names.
Donnie Watt, Harold Dittkowski (with the hair) is that Bernie Dodds holding up the bench in the back and maybe Les Stevens the welder not sure who the operator is
I think on the left it's Real Ruel? But not sure nor of the spelling. Then Don and then Peter Klint. You know I can still remember the drifter of the drill, Gardner Denver PR123J and it's been awhile. HDX, I'll let you elaborate on these two. Pretty cool photos!
Based on the hood length, the tractor looks like a 16V71 version.
Carl with H92 hauling Jens Nielsen's 1972 -- 72-20 American long boom shovel L167 out of Carmannah. I was the push truck for that one. shows us going over the Caycuse Bridge. Bottom picture is Dad with his last new truck Pacific P16. He got it Nov/1976. Franklin and Sarita split in Nov/75 so this was Sarita Divisions first new truck. It was the last one built with the small windshields. He stayed on her till he retired in 1986. H40 went through a few drivers and then ended up being cut up at Sarita Shop. Whenever I look at this picture I knew dad was getting old because it was the first time he ever had a picture taken outside the truck without his hardhat on. Guys like him were really something to work with Back and forth, steady those guys were special. Vigilant It was the first of the three P16 queens with the 3412 Cats
callingtheshop Had another look at the low bed picture It was GOING INTO CARMANNAH not coming out. Cant get that muddy coming out cause its all down hill but going out its a push over the bypass then up to the bridge then all the rest of the way in all gradual uphill most of the way SORRY
Another truck rebuild, Fred Steinhauer the welder/fabricator, Dennis Fraser mechanic and Al Evans mechanic/lead hand. Al was into photography and made up an album of each component where changes were made, all measurements etc. These guys got it pretty fine tuned. I took the 1st one for a drive and was disappointed in the brakes, they were ok but not great. The next one we installed brand new brake shoe spiders, not a rebuilt one, on each rear brake. That turned out to be the secret and all the rest of the rebuilds got the same thing. Locked all four wheels just by looking at the treadle valve. The old spiders had been sleeved and bored a few times and I guess were a long ways out of phase for precise shoe/drum contact.
That is a nice looking truck. The guys there should be proud of it. It sure is hard to find that kind of workmanship and pride in a job well done anymore. Not saying it doesn't exist, but it is much harder to find.
I remember that oil shed very well. HHHMMM Just going to sneak in close and fill snipes engine. Not much on the dipstick
JDOFMEMI, yes there was a lot of pride in the finished products from all involved, even the accounting department in the division. Later years at another division the manager was given a sales pitch of $40,000 to purchase a rebuilt truck. I countered that a new engine sitting on the floor (not installed) was over that so how could the whole unit be rebuilt for that price or was it just going to be shiny? End of that scam. HDX, since you've brought it up I happen to have a note that your wife put out. Hey, some days, crap happens.
Oops must of had a log shift forward when you stopped.
Kelsey Bay sometime in 1990? The dump machine got dismantled, the end of an era.
When I started at Kelsey Bay in 89, I think the dump machine was just being used to dump salvage wood. I only saw it used a few times, when I came back from being laid off in the summer of 90 it was gone.
There were days when over 100 loads a day went over the Kelsey dump, 36 off highway trucks between company and contractor plus some highway trucks thrown in. If the dump machine broke down you wouldn't believe how fast and how far the trucks backed up. Way past the fire hall and dispatch shack within half an hour.
I too remember the dump machine failure times, you're right about the truck line ups being long and developing quickly. If I remember correctly, the L-92 and A-sticks were taken down on a Saturday and the crew as I can remember from the left to the right in the top photo are: Larry Atkinson, unknown, Brian Lindstrom (sitting), Aron Weibe, Alvio Bortolotto. I hope I have the names spelled correctly. The L-92 went to Stillwater Division on the back of a Nickle Bros. tractor, no trailer. Did that ever squat down! That's how they wanted it. Before the A-sticks were pulled over I was concerned they top would land on the highway and bet Aron a box of beer they would. Aron got the beer. I think the top block ended up at Port McNeil.
Probably not a good idea to bet Aron on anything to do with rigging.
Aron Weibe I just saw Aron last week at Ron Sprouts service. Knees are acting up but still sharp as a whip. Lots of old timers in the crowd, Ted Tinga, **** Wheeldon, Norm Herban. It was a Kelsey Bay reunion to say the least. We know one thing, the fellow who remains "Unknown" is not Ray Laviolette.
some m&b iron at the rb sale in Nanaimo bc last month
m&b cab in campbell river
I am not a very emotional person, but looking at the pictures in this thread nearly brings me to tears. Thinking of what we had with M&B and seeing what has become of the industry today..... I am just glad I am no longer a part of it. So sad to visit what used to be Queen Charlotte Division and see everything in ruins. Just breaks my heart. I guess we will never see anything like the old days again.
Clint do you have any recent pictures from Juskatla? I hear it's not good at all.
Very true Clint, Very true I just sent an email to Don D the other day talking about what Juskatla was like when I was a kid up there. By the time I was finished writing I was a little choked up, that is for sure. Take good care of those pictures that you have, they are part of my heritage
Wornout wrench is H295 still sitting in the yard at Menzies or has it disappeared?
Which one was 295? There is an old Hayes fire truck in the back, not sure what the number was. I will look tomorrow when I go back on shift
H295 was an HDX from Eve River, powered by a 12V71TT. It's was driven by Glen Freisen before it was turned into a water truck for watering the dry sort. The water tank was taken off of H294 if memory serves me correctly, I used to take it to the bush for washing machines in the summer. I got tired of running out of water because the regular trucks wouldn't hold enough and when you went to refill at a pump in one of the creeks, the suction hose was usually a foot out of the water. Never ran out of water with that truck.
Pretty sure that is the old HDX sitting out back, big tank on it. Ya, you would have to work pretty hard to run that baby out of water washing a machine LOL
yes, but they are on my home computer. (at the museum right now, I will try to post some in the next few days.) Not a pretty sight at all.
Track loader,I want to say one thing. Of the three big outfits we all know of some guys still out there who would still be putting in a good to keep things going. There were incentives for looking after your truck or machine. Guys I talk to now say it is not mine,I put fuel in and go.
You got that right, so many of the current generation of loggers run the equipment into the ground. Look at HDX, still driving H-17 after 40 years. You don't see guys take care of stuff like that, today.
Here's a few more Franklin River pieces of iron.
I forgot another of a younger HDX.
Queen Charlotte Division early 1980's
M&B QCD Shannon Bay 1975.
M&B QCD Poclain shovel, Carl Chapman operating, late 70's
The "Golden Spruce No. 2" built by John Manly in 1969, still going strong.
M&b qcd 1981
The pictures look great Trakloader, the Golden Spruce looks nice. I see it has radar again, I remember when they brought it into the shop in 93 or 94. They pressure washed it outside to get the barnacles and seaweed off and it still smelled in the shop! The engine was taken out and a fresh one put in, the radar was removed because they decided that it wasn't needed anymore since they didn't have to tow booms. They took the opportunity to change the electrical system to 24 volt. I was sure glad not to have to pack those 8 volt marine batteries anymore. I helped Andy Anderson change them one night, oh man were they heavy!
Not really M&B related but I have been building an area to play with my RC models over the last few weeks. Here's a run through it hauling a couple loads of dirt to extend the road with my mini M&B tribute Hayes. [video=youtube;-wJFdAseuGc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wJFdAseuGc[/video]
RCP57, well done Reg
Looks great Reg, more realistic going down the road, all the time.
Here are some 2015 pics of QC Division.
Few more.....
More..........
Trakloader,nice of you to post. What a sad state for such a giant of a company.
Oh my god! What a extremely sad sight! Trakloader I'm so sorry! Hard to believe H54 was the best truck in the fleet. I remember that EX400 with the short cab riser when it was brand new! Is that L115 sitting behind the shop? Or is it the L18? I'm looking on my iPad so the picture is a little hard to see. The salt air hasn't done any favors to the machines. Are the graders the ones that were bought with the front blades? The shop looks okay in the back ground but I guess it's in tough shape as well. I heard the heat hasnt been on in it for a long time?
The line loader is L-18. Graders are the M-57 and the old M-11 that came from Copper Canyon in the last days of Weyerhaeuser. The M-107 I think is in the shop with a blown engine. I steered the H-54 out of the shop to her current resting place a few years back, sitting on a wooden kitchen chair! No heat in the shop in over a decade now, I think.
Clint It is just the last act in a dying forest industry movie. The same movie is playing all over the coast. Good to see you back and posting is a bonus
It is very sad to see all that equipment in such a state.......
trakloader,can you tell us why so much equipment was not painted red and white? Was this after M&B was no more?
Al L. M & B Nitinat area , 1976 Faller Bill Mackenzie falling and Al Lundgren bucking Fir Tree .
Al L. M & B Nitinat area , 1976 Faller's Bill Mackenzie falling and Al Lundgren bucking Fir Tree . View attachment 139314 View attachment 139315
HDX,can you post the history of the H-57? Need to settle a small wager. Thanks
H57 HDX- 43-98 S/N 5032730 Delivered to MacMillan & Bloedel's Copper Canyon Division Jan 19/65 12V71-N GM powered with a Fuller 5G-1520 Main trans and a Spicer 9341-A aux trans Lipe Rollway 17 inch 2 plate clutch , Schuler front axle and Clark BD 90,000 lb rear ends 13.298 ratio and that gave her a top speed of 45 MPH. She went through the double shifting era when it was popular for big companies to double shift their equipment and it took a toll on her as it did on all equipment used for that!! Was eventually sold off and a Welder/Fabricator in Nanaimo bought her to re-sell There is pics on here somewhere of her but when he had her he repainted her YELLOW Everywhere Yellow---inside cab dash everything and then for effect he painted a light blue stripe on each side We lost track of her after she was at Independent Diesel in Lantzville just outside Nanaimo Never saw her again. I can find out who the driver was that got her new if you need it. Will this win your wager????
Yes sir. Tried to tell gent that she did not go to Franklin as new. I think Bill Nichols may have had it first. Hector Caillet had her long time as more people wanted automatics. Thank you sir
HDX, that truck you described sure sounds like the one I seen at Olympics camp on Louise Island in 1994 -95. They had this HDX that was painted yellow every where like you said, they took it out for a load to try it out and found out it had lockers in both diffs and couldn't make it around the switch backs. Was not a truck that anyone wanted to drive at that time. wonder if anyone else on here may have seen it then? I was there as a relief driver and didn't have my camera with me
Greatwestcam When I saw her she had those Michelin Steering tires mounted on her, All 10 truck tires were those steering tires so you just knew they would not work well for long. Could very well have been her because the time frame was right. Don Davidson is now running their shop(Olympics) I think He was going to come down from the QC Islands to maybe look after their equipment for them Have not heard from him lately so don't know if in fact it worked out for him
Don has gone to work for Olympic. He has based himself out of the Stillwater DLS
That is good news Thanks wornout wrench
My bit of MB Iron. Peeled the IT stickers off it when i bought it. 47K original miles. Still in the woods every summer.
I think this is the Y66. Snow check at Matlset spring 1996. MacBlo Kennedy Lake / Estevan Division
Rayb,Post 1176, with a very gentle hand you could put M & B decal back on. There is a Toyota pickup 4x4 in Nanaimo Ladysmith area with original decals. It has a bush box and painted red and white. The darker shade of red.
I've seen that truck. I have to get some other photos. Seton Lake Contracting runs a crew boat that is still in the MB livery, and RocStar has a drill redone to the original colors as well.
Spotted this old beauty in a timbersale that had gone sideways. It sat there for over a year, then disappeared.
To anyone who remembers,family member Geordie Braithewaite has passed away as of Monday. He was a long time employee of M & B at Sproat Lake and Franklin. Service will be in November in Port Alberni. I will post when info has been released.
Blk prince Thanks for doing this.
Here in Seattle, I can take a good quality photo into a sign shop and they can create a decal or a transfer I think they call it. I had one done for one of my toys. I had a full size Alaska RR logo made. It was quite reasonable in price; about $200 US. Very nice quality. They even installed it for me. I bet somewhere up there you can find sign shop to do the same.
HDX,I was wondering why M&B had 2shades of red for there color scheme? Did not like the darker shade.
Good morning all. Service for Gordie Braithewaite. Friday Nov13 at 1:00pm. At the Arrowsmith Baptist Church. 4283 Glenside Rd in Port Alberni. Anyone travelling to Port,take care. Ian
M&B didn't really have two shades Ian All M&B Divisions had the same color red EXCEPT Sproat Lake Division They had Chinese Red color. Really weird but it gave them a very distinctive stand out from the rest of the divisions appearance. You could always tell one of their pieces of equipment just by the color. Originally they were same as rest but gradually grew towards that dark red. There is a restored HDX around painted that same red. If the time ever comes there will be one around painted the other M&B Red.
^^^ lol
I am betting that when the time comes it will be like new, only will have a lot of experience, like it's owner!
error,sorry wrong thread
Hello HDX I am John S son. Used to be here as Loggerfan. Wondering if you have any pictures of my dads trucks from Copper Canyon or Nanaimo River? Thanks
Fishesson Will go through the ones I have and see what we can come up with Just out of curiosity did you have one favorite or were they all really neat. I always remembered my Dads truck H192-- A 1965 WHD Hayes. I always said if I could ever find a WHD I would clone it as that truck and many years later I did in fact find and retrieve the remains of one. I did not have the heart to make her into something she was not. HOWEVER she is still a "Tribute Truck" and will always be Elk River Timber #26. The sad part is she is not what she once was because when new she had an Allison trans and I just could not afford one so she got a 6 & 4 instead. Her cab was in very tough shape so that was changed also. As was the water tank that came with her. As far as I am concerned she is a nice example of what once was both at HAYES and in the forest industry. As for "Original" there is no original left. I do not claim to make anything into ORIGINAL Cant be done! We come up with original style pieces now and then and things that the trucks would have come with when new and add them where we can but that is where it stops. OK Let me know and I will start looking.
Oh oh,no wood moving today? Hmmmm
Work Safe B.C. limits on amount of rainfall in set time frame due to ground saturation and slope stability and Environmental concern's like muddy water off haul road surfaces flowing into creeks and rivers , creates Winter arm chair and shop days for Logger's . And it has been a little damp in our neighbourhood for the last few days .
what camptramp said
Greatly appreciated HDX. The two trucks I remember the most also seem to be the hardest to locate. Kenworth H-312 and Hayes H-28. He used to bring the 312 home on weekends when I was young and we would wash it. Well he would wash while I climbed all over it. The H-28 was my first ride in an off highway truck, and later in life when I got my class 1 he took me to work so I could drive it before they got retired. Also looking for pictures of logging in Nanaimo River camp and Copper Canyon. I am printing the pictures to have on display at his memorial in January, and any pictures I can use will be great. Dad didn't take many pictures in all his years with MB. Afterwards they will hang proudly in my house.
Fishesson, I am sorry to hear about your dad. I will do whatever I can and see what we can find Both those trucks will have been recycled by now but I have seen funnier things happen, Maybe they are still around I will make some calls and check some records OK From all of us on here you have our deepest sympathies.
Thank you HDX. Fairly sure that both trucks have been scrapped. I think H-312 went to Shawnigan and was turned into a water truck. The H-28 I have no idea about. If you can find pics of them is a bonus, bur even if I can find some pics of Copper Canyon and Nanaimo River camp from when dad was there would be great.
Friend of ours Dad, Sam MacPherson 93 of Squamish passed away a week ago worked for M&B on the Island and Squamish Divisions, He drove WHDX H157,when it was new Will see if I can borrow his pictures and scan them for us
bccat,sad to loose your Dad at Xmas time. Had a long life. Hope it was a good life. Will be great to see if there are pictures. There are lots out there,all in closets or boxes in attic. Regards to you are family. BP
There's a reason why I'm posting some of these pictures. They were taken a long time ago. The first ones were an experiment. We had a lot of long logs and boomsticks to haul out of Carmanah. It was killing us with flat tires and broken wheel studs, cracked rims, etc. due to the weight on the trailers. Truck foreman, Ken Miller, let me try this with a conventional trailer behind a preload for weight distribution. The first picture shows the first load being used as a trial load. It worked very well so I continued hauling for the duration of that one setting. No tire problems. All went well.
Just low-bedding and bull-cooking.
More low-bedding.
These are the last for tonight. Blkprince, the walking the reach one is outlawed now. The last picture shows the last old Northwest grade shovel being moved into Camp B. Grade foreman Tommy Marr and operator John Troje.
Nice pictures....always liked the look with the side panels on...
Walking the reach,holy crap. Fall protection? Thanks for posting on my birthday. Really great
Fall protection ???....Is that when you wear a 12 foot safety strap when you are eight feet off the ground ?? Happy Birthday BP
Twelve foot safety strap but cannot be more tan four feet off ground
Many Happy returns of the day Ian!! The pictures taken with no door logos were taken when we were taken over by Weyco. We had a choice We could remove the M&B door decals ourselves or it would be done for us. I did it myself so nothing but the plastic decal was removed LOL.She went for 3 years without anything on the doors. The next decals she wore were Hayes Forest. They were on for 5 years then IPL for 8 years --Jan 2008 to Dec18 2015. Then back to M&B Again Happy Birthday Ian
HDX.....are you saying H-17 was retired from active service a week ago ????
HDX; well showing these great pictures ** H17 and followed up with your lines I have the same question as diamondtguy; are you saying H-17 was retired from active service a week ago ???? And How about yourself ??? A Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all. Happy Birthday to you Blk prince.
Great seeing HD17 in her original colors and yes it does look good with the side covers on her. Take good care of her, as she is an icon. Happy Birthday Blk Prince hope you had a good one.
Hello Jim. Early here but right now I am 600 miles north of home. I do not sleep well in a strange bed. Now withHDX making a surprise announcement,I will be awake waiting for him to fill in the blanks. To you,Steve and Corey.thanks for BD wishes. Got thru another year. Take care down there. Watch for sunburn.
Seasons greetings to you Hank and thank you
Happy belated B-Day Ian!
Good on the MB decals HDX. Hope to see H17 in red and white again with a CAT 3408 soon. Merry Christmas.
RCP57,seasons greetings Reg and thanks for Bday wishes. I am wondering if HDX has been demoted to a 3 wheeler. I think he said there was a change coming. I am sure he will keep us informed.
You bet Ian! I hope you got twice the gifts yesterday. I'm pretty sure HDX hasn't dropped the mic and walked off stage just yet.lol
Twice the gifts? You jest. One gift two cards
One big gift I hope?
Reg, Ian, I heard got a leisure suit to wear! Ha Ha
HDX, I bet your phone has been ringing off the hook. Great pictures as always. Don't leave us all hanging here!!!
Blk prince, happy to see you got another candle on the cake and hope you get many more. boy o boy, Steve sure has peaked a lot of interest here, better then wondering what is in the big box the wife hid in the closet...lol
Steve, The MB mudflaps that were on her after the logos were taken off the doors! Are they still around? They looked like they were in pretty good shape. I'm sure someone would have put them in a safe place for just the right occasion. The Weyco guys would have loved tossing them into the fire pit. I don't recall ever seeing a truck up our way with those mudflaps. It's something that I'm certain I would recall.
I am just trying to figure out how to explain the whole thing You will all have your answer by morning!!! The mud flaps Steve are a story all in their own. Many years ago my wife Vicki and I were heading south on I-5 just south of Mt Vernon and a red and white trailer truck went sailing by us. HHMMMM I said look at the mudflaps--Sure enough there were a set of M&B mud flaps on the trailer and truck. This kind of stuck with me and so when we got back to work I went in and asked out head warehouse man Brian Mahaffey about them I said why would we be buying mack and kw mudflaps when we just might be able to get out own He spent a lot of time trying to track down where the truck went and who was in charge etc Finally he hit onto some good info from a Los Angeles M&B distribution center. He found out who made the flaps and it turned out they were made in Kentucky. No they would not sell them to anybody only their customers! As it turned out PacCar was one of their customers and so that gave Inland Kenworth in Nanaimo access to such things This is where he got Larry Forrester involved Larry was their road parts salesman. It was quite a major purchase. Much phoning involved and an awful amount of time. It was decided that there was to be a run of 100 pairs of these flaps made for Nanaimo Kenworth BUT they were worried that they would be stuck with a bunch of them. Not the case I phoned Ronnie Blunt at the Bay (NWB) and gave him the heads up as to what were up to and he got on board right away They went in and pre-ordered something like 30 pairs. Franklin was to get a large number also, When some of the employees got wind of what was going on some of them went to Kenworth and put their name on the list also for a set. All this was going on in June 1996. I know because about that time H17 was to be immortalized on a Canadian Postage Stamp. I went up to the Cameron Office and talked to You Know who ( Jim J. ). I told him it would be nice if somehow a set of flaps could make it up to Canada somehow ahead of the order. I to this day do not know what strings he pulled or what he did but he called the dispatcher next day to say he wanted to see me. OH OH I thought. Went up to see him and he said -- I have arranged for ONE SET to be flown up to Cassidy from Kentucky ahead of the order! They will be loomis'ed up to Cameron shop as soon as they arrive BUT you have to install them. I stayed late the next nite and cut them down and bolted them on under the front bumper and next morning the photographer from Ottawa arrived at the China Creek Dryland sort to take the final pictures for the pre-release postage card that accompanies the release of the stamp and there it was. And that Steve is the story of the M&B mudflaps and how they came to be. The ones that were on her when she went to Hayes Forest in Duncan to be rebuilt were thrown into the garbage along with anything else M&B on her. I have a couple sets put away from back then that I bought myself at Kenworth in Nanaimo and have been saving them all this time in the hopes that what just happened would really happen. I have one that I cut down and never used that will grace your wall if you want it!!!
Not much sleep tonite!
I don't even know how to start but here is what happened. We were told a few weeks ago that starting in the new year we were to run only 5 off highway trucks. Prior to this we ran 12 big ones then most of 2015 we ran 9.It was alarming to see what was happening. Western kept putting more pressure on IPL to get more small trucks and less big ones After all the little trucks don't take up nearly as much road as we do. So there is savings right there. We thought that maybe we could through time and common sense get our big truck numbers back up in the new year after Western saw what was not happening. We were to run 4 big trucks hauling logs and one big truck to be permanently under the low bed So 5 big trucks and four drivers So H17 and H145 -P16 conv H153 P16 conv H144 HDX Conv and H119-- P16 Preload along with H14-- P16 Preload stuck under the lowbed.As well the compliment of highway trucks would increase to 20 from 14. The soon to be displaced drivers on the big trucks will now be little truck drivers!!! That was to be the compliment for the start of 2016. IPL and WFP have been going at it pretty hard with different agendas. I cant and will not get into the gory details of what transpired but the outcome was IPL could not sit on 12 big trucks with no hope of them going back to work at Franklin River Division. Western wants all trucks working for them to be able to direct haul to where-ever THEY WANT THE LOGS. There is something called "WRAP AND SPLASH" that they want to do and that means they will just weigh each load on the scales put bands on the loads and then lift the load off the truck and dump it into the water. No more scaling or grading so that gets rid of several jobs on the dryland sort right away Big savings there. It is an ugly situation there and when I see what is happening it is fatally flawed. Cant work Did not work back when industry tried it before and wont work now. Geographic's dictate that it is just too far to haul with small trucks. we see a tri- tri unit with a load of logs up to between the hinge on the stakes and the top and he is up to weight We carry three of those loads on one big truck. History will prove what I am saying. BUT as with Weyco when they were here It was one big garage sale after another to get rid of the line loaders and big trucks. Well they did a pretty good job of deleting that sort of equipment from the industry Just try and buy one now. For goodness sake they are worth more as parts than a complete unit. I will stop here because it just makes me mad to know what we had worked and yet the deck is stacked against us. When I first met Lyle Newton he was straight up Kind of what we call a stand-up guy. His word was better than a written contract. He told me back then Yes she is your truck and she will go home with you one day. BUT NOT YET LOL I still need the two of you. He phoned me tues nite and said "GO GET HER--Take her home it is time! The only string attached was that I would remain and drive the low bed. There will only be two big trucks on Jan 4/16 The H14 P16 Preload under the lowbed and H119 P16 Preload will be kept as a push truck and if there is no lowbed moves I will haul logs with her That is the deal So my friends a life long dream has come true. For me it is hard because I have lived and grown up driving that truck and now she will haul no more. Yes I will finally have to admit defeat and drive a Pacific BUT it is a small price to pay for OWNING a "CLASSIC" Once again she will eventually get her red and white colors back and all her M&B decals. All this is because one guy had a lifelong dream and another guy was able to help fulfill that dream. I am eternally gratefull to the Newton Family for what they have done. She started her career as H17 and 40 some odd years later retired as H17. Vicki and I will go out one day soon and drive her one last time down memory mainline and then close the door on one more piece of history. Don't know what else to say other than THANK YOU To all of you. "If the sun is setting on her It has been shining on her for a long time"
HDX...I don't think the sun has set on H-17 just yet..She is just beginning a new chapter in her later years...The book is not finished yet. I don't understand the advantage of the smaller trucks but I have never been the management type.I usually think outside the box.. I think you will be OK driving a P-16...I would rather see you ride into retirement in a P-16 than a Western Star...and remember .....H-17 is watching
My gut told me you may be down but not out. Still hauling into Sarita or moving to China Creek? Talked to two friends last Sunday. They work at Coastal Trucking. They had come back home from MacKenzie after delivering a 14ft wide lowbed and an HDX to the Mount MacMillan Mine. Now H-17 to be reborn as M&B. I see MacMillan name rising up out of the dust. Like poking a sleeping bear with a stick. ps truck and lowbed came from Chemainus
Well Steve, I guess you will have to change your handle to P16 now ... In all seriousness, you know how we all feel about this. As we talked about in our phone conversation earlier today, this is a sad but happy thing. I find myself a little out of sorts over it all, having the thought of no big trucks left out there. Since my parents started taking me out to Sarita Lake in the 80's, waiting to see an off-highway of any type was the main attraction. I hadn't been out there for quite a long time and hadn't thought much about it all until I started building little 115 and we began to chat. Heading out there last year and meeting you and dirty4fun Jim sparked a renewed interest in me and a new one in my wife for the old "fat trucks"(or as Dad and I always called them "elephants") and the area itself out there. I'm bummed that I didn't make more of an effort to go for a ride in her with ya but that's OK. Now that she is going home I will always know where to find her... I just hope the owner still greets me with a smile(and maybe a pastry) for years to come.lol Now I guess a ride in a PIG will have to do.... Reg
Not # matching , not 1 owner , but 1 driver . A legend in its own time . H 17 has put in 20 years of good service , she deserving of a rest , a good home and a lot more TLC . Congratulation's Steve , driving a Pacific won't be that bad , knowing its to help foot the bill to restore your favourite HDX Hayes .
Blkprince The truck those guys hauled up there--That had to be an orange and white one. She was also a preload truck EX- BCFP unit number 6-250. I knew she had been leased out and was heading up country. Tried to keep her down here and tried to buy her a couple years ago but Coulson wanted a gazillion dollars for her. OH WELL 6-246 and H17 will do just fine They will while away the hours together. Lets see here Orange paint to the left Red to the right HHMMM unlimited possibilities coming my way
I spent 10 years at Pacific.The bulk of my time was in the off road division.I took part in the assembly of over 50 P-16's.Spent some time on BP's super truck and its 12V92T sisters along with the M&B 3412 trucks, the list goes on.....yet I sit here thinking....I know more about the last HDX built than I know about the last P-16 built... I have yet to see her.....but I will
HDX,what can you tell me about your new seat? Good shape,been looked after? What about Glen Baird and big snorkel? Staying or not? When 40-87 sank my decision was easy but you still have a spot. Now do you want to put much time into bringing this truck up to par and fine tuning or just fuel.,water and go home? Happy New Year my friend. Ps,still in Prince George until Monday.
Congratulations Steve. You deserve it. She's in good hands. Tyler
Sorry to hear that H17 is done working but glad that she is yours and will be well cared for. Can't wait to see her all repainted in red & white again.
Steve, Thanks for sharing thou sure not the best of news. I can't hide my wanting to ride in and maybe get to drive H17 once again. Knowing she will always be with you is the main thing, right now. I know that H17 will taken care of and back to as close to original as possible. I cherish the time spent out there, meeting so many really good people and getting to see the real trucks, the Hayes and Pacific trucks doing what they were built for. Guess you knew it would happen one day but wanted it to continue forever. Now RCP57 Reg, you won't have as far to travel to get measurements to build a model, of one of the greatest trucks to ever haul a load of logs. It will always be in my mind to never ever be forgotten, how great I felt that day when Steve let me drive H17 up. I will see you guys next summer!
Yes, thanks for sharing your story Steve, best part of the outcome is your ride of many years is saved to be shared with others for ever. Hope to see her again as she was meant to be at the 2022 Hayes 100th show...yes?
Sorry Steve that should be FORTY YEARS good service !
Thanks for all the good wishes you guys. Blkprince The last load WAS put on her by Glen Baird-- L32-- Northfork 120 and yes it was up to Glen's usual HIGH standards. Worst part was we never even saw this coming.
Donald Sprout Long time Kelsey Bay Division loader operator Donald Sprout passed away on Boxing Day after a lengthy illness. Twin to Ronald who passed away earlier in 2015, Donald was a great guy in the community always around the ball fields Excellent loader operator in his day. Along with his brother real pranksters and just a downright solid man. End of an era for sure.
Sad news this time of year
My first encounter with H17, May 2008. Was totally amazed at how well kept it was. I got the story then about the driver who would get to keep it when the time came, and I am glad that promise has been kept. Maybe a bit unpopular here (I was never a MB guy, I worked for Pacific Logging) but I think it looks great in the yellow/white/green scheme. Looking forward to seeing it around town on those special days in whatever colour scheme it ends up in.
Trainman When I look at that picture ,it hits home just how big a job lies ahead They always said "Be careful of what you wish for". As for unpopular Not a chance We are all in this together You paid your dues just like the rest of is. Thanks for posting your pictures for all to see. I still have some to post that will maybe interest you. Do you by any chance have any pictures of Norm driving Pacific Logging's lowbed down in Messachie Lake. ? Use to cross paths with him from time to time We would compare 3408's and laugh.
HDX, glad you liked the picture. I worked on the forestry side of Pacific, out of Saanichton first then Qualicum Beach for the Mid Coast area (Rivers Inlet and Owikeno Lake camps) so did not get to know the production sides very well. Also did not take a lot of pictures back then on the job, about 80% of my slides are of trains. Right now I am posting what I have that are digital that I think people would be interested in seeing; the slides need to be scanned first....a big job. Here is another that I think you actually took with my camera back in 2014: Cheers, Tman
Trainman You are without a doubt a credit to our forum Thank you for taking the time to share these pictures
HDX,look closely at the last two pictures.The Bears look as if you swapped them from side to side. A small thing but causes a bit of curiosity.
The front bumpers are different too. thanks HDX, just trying as I can. Once Christmas break is over, will be slower posting from me.
It would appear that the bumper has had some cosmetic surgery and now looks as she did when she was younger and had some red in her cheeks....
Yes,HDX did that to put her back to original
Blkprince The front mudflaps are different. What I have done ever since Hayes Forest exited the scene is make my own flaps. When she went down to Duncan and was done their way all M&B stuff was turfed and all new HFS molded flaps installed. On Dec 21 2007 when we parked all the trucks at BR57 in the sand pit at the close of their contract We never knew what to expect. I had told all the drivers to ensure that they removed ALL their rigging and stuff because IF we ever saw them again all that stuff would be gone. Sure enough when IPL took us over we went down to retrieve the trucks and everything was gone off them EVEN THEIR MUDFLAPS were cut off I had to laugh because those guys looked so stupid standing beside a seacan with a pile of HFS mudflaps stacked up on a pallet ,and because one of our drivers did not remove his stuff it became a trophy for HFS guys Would not even lend him a set of cinch lines and bars to get his first load with. I could name the guys but that wouldn't do anything. So anyway I went to Nanaimo to the plastic shop and bought the white plastic I would need and brought it home cut them down and painted the bears on them. As time goes by the paint would get rubbed off and they would look awful so I always kept a spare set already made up to just bolt on. The reason for the different flaps was purely so I could date the pictures. I would write in the book I keep each year when they were put on for that reason. I was going to paint them as a proper left and right but threw that idea out the window. this way IF and when my clutch starts to slip somebody would be able to know. It is probably a goofy thing to do but I DID IT. Same as when I look at the steering axle I can date pictures in the last couple years by looking at the height between the steering tires and the bottom of the fenders. The fenders would always rub on the top of the tires on switchbacks UNTIL we got a new set of DENDOFF FRONT SPRINGS. All the Hayes trucks came with Dendoff springs when new and there was a reason They were top drawer and lasted We were getting new springs and when they were installed they would go into a negative arch before the truck even went out on the road. Contact was made with the other manufacturer about this and our supplier was told " I don't need anybody telling us how to make springs". OK no problem Just phone Dendoff They were more than happy to make a set and as soon as they were installed she sat right up the way she did when she was new. Those guys over at Dendoff are really good. I have seen where some guys are installing P16 front springs in their HDX's to keep the height up where it should be. 6-251 has a set in her and it looks really good Very neat installation. For the money it is Dendoff all the way!
HDX,good morning. Well first thing I will say is that nothing you do is goofy. I did not ever hear about equipment stored in a gravel pit. Was this stuff secured? It was a rough period for sure. People at the top doing this type of crap can no longer be found. Same at CZ. Biggest ***hole came from California. Did his best to gut the outfit then fled south. Oh oh,starting a rant. Have to stop now. So will you pick your push driver or a seniority issue? Contractors stuck with their off-highway trucks or gone to auction?
No it will be a grab a driver for the push truck as needed. No contract trucks out there other than Dave Mills and he hauls for probyn and the likes Nothing to do with us. There is a deal in place where one guy IS BUYING ALL the big trucks. The two remaining trucks H14 and H119 are part of the big sale but will not go till the duration of his contract is finished. then H14 will go with the lowbed she is pulling along with H119.
Steve I honestly thought after all these years you were a contractor/ broker with your own truck!(H17). I did not realize that all the effort and maintenance you put into H17 is something an employee would do for a company truck. Not to many people today give a hoot about a company truck, even the mechanics a lot of the time. I hope it came with a trailer!
ben46a Yes she has always been a company truck. It has always been a pride thing with her. She was always hand washed every Friday nite on my own time before I went home for the weekend when we were hauling down at the Cameron end that way you would find anything loose or broken. I could just jump in my pick up and drive home (about 6 klicks) now she is down in Sarita and it is pretty hard to do when all the drivers want to get going because you never know when they are going to move port alberni somewhere else. OH well wont have to worry about that anymore. And yes she came with a trailer I have one dolly stashed away so that is a start Ian Zimmerman has a couple of our dollies up north end of the island and I been trying to figure out how to go about putting an empty train together one more time and just leave it set up Would look pretty spiffy don't you think??? Thanks for the vote of confidence!!!! Happy New Year to All Steve
Happy New Years HDX....may it all sort it self out and be a good one... I would also like to say Happy New years to everyone on the Logging Equipment forum...I have spent hours enjoying all that you have contributed and I have only touched the surface... Cheers Cory
Great new year wishes from here too, have enjoyed HEF immensely this year. Very best of luck to HDX with these changes going on with the trucks. Thanks to all that post pictures and info, thanks for sharing with us around the world that have same interest! Cheers! John
Happy New Year guys, hope everyone has a great prosperous 2016! Best site on the internet, with some of the best of the best people making it that way. Take care my friends!
Happy New Year to everyone! May 2016 be a happier and more prosperous year for you all.
Congratulation Steve with H17! I am looking forward to see orange and red parked next to each other and you can even mix it with yellow - 3 great trucks! I will never forget Summer 2000 when I met you and H17 for the first time. She was shiny and newly washed and she looked majestic the blue sky. I must take the hat of for Lyle. Sad news for the offhighway logging industry. I guess there are some contractors left but I wonder what will happen with WFP divisions in Port McNeill, Holberg and Gold River? To all members of this great forum a Happy New Year!
Great ending to a great story, HDX. I cannot wait to see her back in the M&B red. It's kind of sad as I always hoped to get back again to see the big trucks again as 2016 is my 10 year anniversary for getting to see and ride in H17. Thank you for being so willing to share with those of us who will never have the chance to drive or work with those great trucks. I don't see having to drive a P-16 as such a bad thing. I'd say the trade off was worth it and I like them too. This is a testament that dreams can come true. Lyle Newton is a man of his word and it is good to know that there are those who follow through with their promises. Congratulations Steve, you earned it. PS. Somebody needs to write a book on these trucks.
Congrats on taking your pride and joy home, HDX. And a Happy New Year to all.
Could this be the postage stamp y'awl are referring to?
That be the one Vigilant. That is a story unto itself. Took three years from the time they got in touch with me till it was released in June/96. They sent a photographer out from Ottawa twice to take pictures and measurements. I had no idea that to do a Cdn stamp just how thorough Heritage Trust Canada was. Right down to the inch. I will dig out the postage card that went with the first day release of the stamp. I wont even ask how a guy in North Carolina would end up with a Cdn stamp in his collection. Thank You.
HDX,I found pictures of the H-14 and H-119 on Pacific thread. So how about posting pics.of them when you first take over this month. Then post pics. of them in Dec. I am sure you will have them both looking proud once again. BP.
And would you look at what's on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canada-1605...582966?hash=item33af40aaf6:g:syIAAOSwLN5Wh1HZ
Actually, sir, I pulled it up on Google Images. Just wanted to offer my own little tribute. Immense respect here.
I am truly impressed LOL Thanks again Vigilant. Steve. Bp so now I have 5 pieces of equipment to look after not just 17 and her trailer Now two P16's a lowbed and two preload trailers to grease and maintain. That equates to 16 -- 12:00X24 tires on the lowbed trailer and 36 -- 14:00X25 tires on the rest I am tired already from just thinkin about it. Still too much snow out there. Gives me more time to plan the final trip day. Roads out there have been a disaster all through Christmas holidays. Feel sorry for the people that live in Bamfield because they have to drive over that road and WFP wont maintain it . Same with the people in the NitNat Village. WFP told us in Dec they could not afford a grader on dayshift NO MONEY for that kind of thing EVERYBODY FOR THEMSELVES. God if only we could turn back the clock. We had 7 big Smith sand box's on HDX's The 24 yard ones back then Three at Franklin Two at Sarita and two at Cameron Division. And to think they were all cut up!We have weyco to thank for that boner. I would rather boink around with the toys in this weather anyway.
I can see the writing on the wall. In your "spare" time just run grader out to Br 9000 and knock rocks off the road for the road warriors
It would seem that to many companies are run by bean counters, who have no idea what it takes to get the job done. To bad because in the long run it costs the companies a lot of money, and many workers loose their jobs. It all looks good on paper and the bean counters look like a hero, for a few years till it all caves in, but by then they have covered their tracks. Heaven for bid they ask someone who has been there done most everything and would know that it will not work that way. Hang in there HDX at least Lyle did what he said he would do and one day soon you will have H 17 home and safe where she can be made to look and be like new once again! Besides I need to get a few more rides in a real man size truck, even if it isn't H 17 sure better than riding in a highway truck!
Well said, Jim.
Swiss Army Knife Probably the rarest tower ever built.Madill collection Sorry,just realized i stuck this in the wrong thread title-cant delete it ugh.
I hauled that tower combo and hauled logs from it. Pics of it new onV Isllogging at its best
For anyone that may not have heard my dad John Salmon passed away on December 3, 2015. He drove logging truck at Copper Canyon and Nanaimo River camp for 44 years. There will be a memorial service at Moose Lodge in Nanaimo on Saturday January 30 from 1-4pm. Thank you
Thanks. Fishesson,I thought he had left us. Sorry to hear. Only one Moose Lodge,correct. Located in Chase River? Thanks BP.
ska dill,do you have any more pictures of the above tower? I have never seen one with the cab standing free. Very interesting. Thanks,Bp
Yes that's the one. Thank you.
Well winter is here in sunny and warm southern Alberta and I have time to do some more posting. I hope I have done this correctly?? H-108 after a rebuild, year it was done??? HDX, do you remember?
All from Franklin River Division. So are the photos in #1277.
Any details on the wrecked truck Rick? Looks like a nice rebuild on H108 by the way.
In that first photo of Post 1277, I believe someone previously identified the gent walking by in the foreground as one of our regulars here.
No idea at all. Just before Lloyd retired he gave me a handful of photos and that was one of them. H-108 was almost a 10, no bucks for new so the maintenance budget took a big hit on rebuilds to keep the fleet working. I often wonder if it was worth it? None of the bean counters would admit it either way.
Really! Dam skinny back then.
I think it was 1979 when H108 was redone Alex McKenzie got her. He retired driving her Shame was that truck would become a victim of the economic downturn in the forest industry a few years later. She had a trans failure and was parked. This would be her demise because the next thing that was taken off her was the rear ends then the engine and that pretty well ended her career. This was the first truck to have the entire interior lined with that sheet lead to act as a sound deadener IT WORKED. Somewhere I have a picture of the cab being thrown into the scrap bin Could not do anything to stop it. Truck was then cut up and deposited into the bin also. As for the Wreck pictures That was Mario Luvisotto driving H283. A 1968 WHDX with V12 GM and an 8speed Clark auto trans The truck he tangled with was just bought from Ron Peters from Lake Cowichan area. It was an AutoCar with a hayrack on the back (Chunk Truck) Mario was coming up from the Coleman Dump empty and was just outside of camp and came sifting along on a corner when Brian Shaw who had just bought the truck was going to the dump Well they met on the corner and this is what happened. Mario had to be cut out of the truck and it was loaded onto a lowbed and went back to Hayes in Vancouver to be rebuilt Was only two years old when this happened. Don't know what ever happened to Brian after this. His (tongman) side- kick was Bobby Adams from Parksville. Another couple names lost to history. There is more pictures of this wreck around but this one shows all.
when I was apprenticing at Juskatla,I changed a few door windows and latches and at first could never figure out why there was a bunch of pebbles in the bottom of the door. After a couple of times I did figure out it was lead that had been used as a sound deadener. The lead sheeting was gone by the time I started there. Thanks for the info on the wrecked truck, I hope both guys were okay.
HD Mech What Hayes did was glue or cat cement sheet lead onto the inside of the door panel and it helped stop the window regulator chain slap against the tin panel noise as well as gave the door a heavier feel When you closed the door you didn't have to grab it with both hands and yard on it like I see some guys do now. HHMM wonder why that window broke or got cracked. The secret to Hayes doors is to keep the dovetails in the door jam --the two on the door and the two in the post in working order The Hansen door assy if kept greased will work for a long time.I take the LPS with the little red nozzle and squirt it down inside the door to lube that assy . I have noticed the new ones are a LOT CHEAPER MADE NOW than the old ones. As with the window chain regulator. Once the door starts to get worn and move the cab will start to split and crack at the top on the front and back This was the fatal flaw with a Hayes cab. Some guys get peed off because the drivers door window will get worn in the tracks or the tracks themselves will eventually wear the fiber out and let the window rattle around Simple easy fix can be done on ANY TRUCK WINDOW Roll the window down and get one of these plastic snap ties The longer the better and cut the little square head off it and insert the snap tie into the rear track with the pointed end down. It will friction stay in no-- more window rattle . If it does not want to stay in position remove it and smash it a little flatter with a hammer thus making it a hair wider and try it again You will be surprised how well it works LOL
HDX, that is a wicked suggestion about a loose window track and I'll try it in my little black truck when the weather warms up. Thank you.
Mills on a loogi I happened to stumble across this thread and read your comment above. I am Dan Wickham's eldest son and drove off highway logging trucks while going to university in the late 60's and early 70's. Jack Gunderson told me about the long log haul with dad but of course dad never said anything about it and I forgot about it. Dad passed away in July 2014. Over 400 people attended his celebration of life. Even at 85 he still had a lot of friends and admirers. Backing up for 18 miles on a logging road is no easy feat. He was one of the best so I guess that's why he was the driver going backwards. Dad had quite a collection of photos from his days in the bush. I will go through them and see if any relate to that haul. Dan Wickham Jr.
Welcome to HEF Dan alway's great to hear about fellow workers in the woods past and present stories and pictures are a plus.
Welcome Dan. I remember you driving for a while then onto another career. Have you found the Crown Zellerbach site. There are some pics there of Nitinat Camp. One pic. Shows your Dad and Bob James slugging thru the snow in the yard to get to Olsen's shop. Dad was on the chunk truck with Howie then. Any pictures would be great. I sent all mine to camptramp to post. Excellent fellow at post it. I believe you are still in CR. I talk to Squeak 1-2 times a week. If you need any info or help,you can send a PMto myself or camptramp. Once again,welcome aboard. I would visit Dad once in awhile and he only got angry if I would not have a beer. Lucky of course
Boy,I have been missing something.Tough getting old!Ron G
wickjr Your dads KW Cab is still around but unfortunately the truck was cut up. Was bought by Timbermill contracting here in Alberni. One of the driver /mechanics managed to save the cab and has installed it on a small truck frame He has it running around out at his place. He lives just across from the golf coarse when coming into port alberni. Look down in the shed on the left and you will see it there. Guy's name is BOB really interesting guy Very talented also
All photos from Franklin River. E-59, there was a newer E-59 in my life so I think it was a photo from Lloyd that was probably the 1st E-59. E-41, I think Geno operated it for a long time road building before excavators ruled. The loader had an engine failure, I can't remember any details about it. The K-448, now that bus had personality plus! One night Magic Fingers Norm was servicing it and said we had to have a look in the crew compartment. It was wall to wall ditties and yes I have photos of them but they're too explicit for the tender eyes on this forum.
K448 was the Sarita Dump and boom crew bus originally. Lou Toneff drove it That was THE LAST BUS into Camp B every night because Lou always wanted the extra driving time. One day Ron Gunderson (Woods Foreman) asked just how many seats were in that bus Turns out every truck driver hauling in Sarita was putting down that crummy number on their time cards for travel time because it was ALWAYS LATE
H-274 Sorry for the poor Shot of this Picture. This is an original water colour by Doug Harrison, Depiction the H-274 watering up at the old water tower on CC main.
Welcome. Cool picture. d.d.
Thank you d.d. I had the pleasure of working for M&B at NWB just before Weyerhaeuser "we r a user" took over as a mechanic and just had broke in on Logging truck before I left. I saw the writing on the wall there and pulled the pin before **** hit the fan. I still can't believe they tore the old shop down. Great crew of guys there, it was tough to leave but I think I avoided about 4 years of uncertanity. They seemed to have levelled out there now an have the new shop. Before I Started at NWB I was fueling the woods machines at Sproat and NWB for Chevron. I have some equipment pictures hiding someplace, I will post them when I dig them out.
Kelsey Bay Division, end of an era when the A-frame was removed. From left: Larry A., ???, Brian L., Aron W., Alvio B. I didn't record the year.
I think the year was 1990?
Lost Pole Trailer Gets New Life Hi there... first post here. I have been following this forum for a few months now and find it hits close to home for me. I spent my early years living at Great Central Lake in the townsite on Boot Lagoon and while it was so long ago, I can still remember many of the families who were my parent's neighbours. I'm sure that some will remember Wilf Gill who drove off-road trucks for Sproat Lake Division, and maybe even Chauncy Jorgenson who I think may have been the Grade Foreman. My father was the cost accountant in the woodlands office under John Seton. Yes... Dad was an M&B man for over 25 years. Our family also ended up at Kennedy Lake logging division for a few years in the mid-sixties and I have great memories of crawling all over Roy Saunders rigs while they were lined-up across from the heavy-duty mechanics shop waiting to go back to work on Monday mornings. A few years later, Dad also helped Lou Tagseth and Stu Crawford start Eve River Division in the early 1970s. I ended up working in the forest industry as well and remain employed today albeit in a way that takes me all over the province. Enough about me. One of the reasons for joining this forum has its roots in an old pole trailer that I believe belonged to an M&B Hayes Trucks. So having read this forum, I understand that there are records in the hands of some that may have the answer. To that end, I'd like to figure out which M&B truck the pole trailer was paired with and hope that someone in this forum could help. My son-in-law is a dairy farmer in the Chemainus area and is converting or re-purposing this pole trailer into somethign else - to be able to carry a large manure tank that will be pulled behind their biggest John Deere. I believe the pole trailer used to belong to Cheminaus logging trucker Ron Mattin. The attached photo clearly shows the trailer number X223 which was welded into a cross-member. Having admired so many of the truck photos in red & white, I was hoping... OK, thought it would be fun... to find out where it came from... which truck it was paired... and that maybe there might be a photo of it in this forum somewhere. Thanks is advance, Guys.
Welcome to HEF mountainskidder I spotted that trailer on the farm last year behind the rock quarry I was hauling out of , never got back to check it out , thanks for taking the picture . I'm sure HDX will be on that shortly . When you lived at Great Central Lake , were you living near where the Fish Hatchery is at foot of lake ?
You got it right. Our house was located where one of the hatchery pools now exist. If you were to stand with your back to the Ark Resort and look down that now non-existent road, our house would have been the fourth one down on the left-hand side. When MacMillan Bloedel and Power River Ltd. decided to shut the town (apparently BC Hydro was going to raise the level of the lake which would flood the townsite), my father bought the house for $1 and had Nickel Bros. move it to Dicksen Drive on Sproat Lake. in fact, many of those Great Central Lake houses ended up at Sproat Lake on Dicksen Drive - I think there were 11 homes that made the trip down the logging road from Great Central Lake to Dicksen Drive about 1959-1960. That $1 house sprouted a second floor and which was welcome because by that time there were six kids that needed the room! Regarding you spotting that trailer at the rock quarry, my-oh-my... its a small world sometime. You're absolutely right and I'm guessing you have been grabbing some gravel from the quarry and rolling right past my place on your way back up to the highway. Yup... small world.
Well now you have got my curiosity going.... Another 'Laker has joined the forum. My parents bought a house on McCoy Lake Rd. which supposedly started out at Great Central Lake as well. My Dad renovated that with additional bedrooms as well, for what was eventually a family of 5 kids. I couldn't imagine living in those confines now. I'm trying to figure out which family that lived on Dickson Drive you are part of - I remember many of the names from the old days. Keep putting clues out there - I will enjoy the mental gymnastics I will be doing as I try figuring out who you are. And to think that I live in Chemainus too.
mountainskidder, I am having a tough time finding that trailer in the files. What I need you to do is go look all around the flat surface where the X223 is welded on there. There will be a 7 digit number stamped into it, Because of the square reach I think the number will start with a 4 or 5. One more thing Has Don and Squeeky started the conversion on it yet??? I am looking for the plate that is welded onto the top of body that the bunk sits on. It is about 14 X14 inches with a 3 1/2 inch pin welded to it. I cant put a bunk on old 6-246 till I get one of those plate/pins. Most of them were cut off and replaced with the twist and turn to drop the bunk on whereas those ones had a horseshoe collar on them to hold the bunk on. That is what I need. In the meantime I will keep going through the book looking for that unit number for you.
Thx HDX. I'm currently in Kelowna but I'll talk to Don and Squeak on the weekend. As you noticed in the photo, the bunk is off and I saw it standing up on the ground last Saturday... don't recall seeing the plate attached. But I'll check it out and see if it's around and intact. And yes, the trailer has a square reach and I'll see if I can find the seven digit number... and the plate and pin.
Hey there JackD... in my mind's eye, our Dicksen Drive neighbourhood was very near the mouth of the Sproat River with Larry Bruner, Schultz Family, Johansens, Al and Alma West lived nearby - he was Sproat Bullbucker I think. Right next door was Kenny Bruner and if you walked westward down through the gully you'd have Ray Buck, Munches, and the Wilkies on the water side. If you bushwhacked behind our family home - which as a kid did many times - you'd reach Faber Rd and the fields and swamp beyond that. Lot's of clues there!
Mrs. Johansen taught my grade one class at Faber School. I'm still traumatized. I remember Sandra and Hughie Munch. The Chatwins, Supers, Schulzes and a few more. Did you used to head up the 'Honda Trail'? Al West was a Bullbucker before my time at Sproat Lake Division. Thought the Bruners lived down by Davidson's store. I used to bushwack in your direction from the Stirling Arm side.
Trailer Turntable Pin HDX... somewhat successful on the trailer turntable and pin. They had to burn off the turntable plate, but the pin and plate is still intact. Might need to air-arc the edge to clean it up. However, the horseshoe keeper was welded shut and had to be burned off... it's a goner. Call Ian at 250-210-8884 to discuss means and ways of getting her home. I also looked for that 7-digit number without success. In the attached photo, can you direct me where to look closer? Photos attached.
Jackd... I remember all those people and even had Mrs. Johansen for grade one as well. Also was taught by Mrs. Martin at Faber Road School for grade 3 and 4. Trekked down many trails... don't recall one named Honda Trail... but probably was on it. Never did walk through those field to the Stirling Arm side but climbed on the bluffs. I understand the logging haul road was moved away from Sproat/Somass River and now would be beyond those fields... but it was after my time.
Oh, oh! I know a certain orange truck that is going to be a little more complete!
Reg Were in business LOL
Good job cutting the plate out...Would not be difficult to remove all the welds and start fresh....Now...If someone has a sketch or Dwg for the horseshoe keeper I can easily have one water jet.The big Omax is 10' from my bench at work....I suspect there is a hidden stash of them somewhere tho.......
mountainskidder What size tires are on that trailer Are they by some chance 12:00X25 or are they 14:00X25 They should be Budd wheels also. I might have it narrowed down to one of three trailers MAYBE Got to go check a trailer I have stashed away with a square reach just like that one. Will check its number and see what it says. I think you are testing me here to see if I am worthy. diamondtguy I might know where to find one. It might need a new piece made for it though. I will take photos and show you what we will need
It sure is a pleasure to see so many people helping each other! Guess I should of known by now to expect such behavior from the most friendly people I have ever met.
HDX,regarding your Pm. You,sir,are the"T" in team work. So are you starting out of CameronShop for now?
Yes I am Ian Will make it easier for you to get up here and make your one last move for old times sake LOL. Might not be a grapple yarder or anything elaborate BUT it will be a good trip. Will be a couple log loaders moving if and when we ever go back to work. Seems WFP officials for some reason do not want to log here right now, Maybe it is because of the low Canadian dollar. OH maybe it is easier to barge the logs down from north island to keep the mills here going. There is some monkey business going on. OH WELL, They seem to forget that for some of us this is old news. We been through it too many times to even care anymore. I happened to ask one of the WFP guys who seemed to be gloating about it --How long before the light goes on somewhere and they realize WHY DO WE NEED YOU GUYS There is nobody here to supervise. LOL OH DID I SAY THAT!!!!!
I was taking the ferry last spring and spied a fellow from my year with Mrs. Martin for the same grade 3/4 ordeal in 65/66. He and another guy were on the receiving end of her shoe for many a time. He grew up to be a senior member of the RCMP in the far north - now retired to Youbou. He said there was a Facebook page dedicated to those that suffered the abuse of her. The man was visibly angry when he spoke of her and I did not raise the topic to begin with. The Honda trail went from behind Faber school all the way to around the entrance to Dickson Drive. I too climbed the bluffs. I just wonder if you are the guy who used to tie my shoes for me back in grade one....
HDX,well that would be a great time to start at CameronShop and if it happens I would come over in the AM and yard would be easy to find. We will talk again. I have a trip to the rebuild shop in the works. Will have me laid up for a few days bit nothing serious.
mountainskidder,is Larry doing the welding?
Jackd... Oh yes... Mrs. Martin... got caught swearing... the word was "bum"... it was the first time that I had a bite of a bar of soap and had to chew it. And that was up front with the class watching. Marlene Thompson was in my class... she lived over on McCoy Lake Rd... she likely witness that tom-foolery. Those bluffs... Dan Kingsley and I used to hang out up there... trying to get into trouble... which we did. I think the fire department had to put out one of our "camp fires" after we'd vacated back home for supper. We kept our heads down for awhile after that! Would have been 1964-65.
Blk prince... not sure about Larry doing the welding. Ian is fitting and Larry may jump in to help once everything is cut and fit. Larry, Don, Squeak and Charlie Nixon always seems to be meeting up for morning coffee in the shop so I wouldn't be surprised if Larry brought his welding gloves along at some point.
HDX... on the tire size, looks like they are fourteen hundreds by twenty-five on buds. I looked a little closer on the end of the bunk mount and found the numbers... had to use a wire brush with a bit of elbow... the number is FV 91123 E1. Hope that helps with the detective work! Photo attached.
Is that a grease fitting on the end of that hub?
Not a grease nipple. Just the arse end of a 7/16s nut and bolt.
Bl. Prince hope the tune up goes well for you, watch out those nurses can hurt a person, with a simple roll over. HDX has Island Pacific gotten the new on road trucks, what did they buy if they have them?
In 1991 the L-166 was the latest and greatest hoe chucker at Kelsey Bay Division. Adrian operated it and was fearless and fast as usual.
dirty4fun,thanks Jim. Appreciate that. Wife is very sad. I will not be able to carry her lunch to the car in the mornings. Oh dear
Ian, Hopefully you are going in to have a full set of "happy face" tires installed.
Hello Reg,actually no installs or removals. Hernia so just put things back where they belong. Since retiring,I carry lunch and papers to wife's car in morning and nite. Too much junk. Haha
Oh I see. Getting the springs re-arched to carry that load. Makes sense.lol
Hope the other posters don't mind this little side game we are playing here. There were three kids from McCoy Lake - Marlene, Rob Naesgaard and me - we were all in the same class because Marlene flunked grade 1. Rob N. has passed away but Marlene is still a dear friend. Dan Kingsley became a good friend in college. The bar of soap was a common punishment. I probably watched you eat it but it was usually Ken Herbertson who was the recipient. I have all the class photos online should you require....
Yes... thanks for everyone's patience on this side conversation... we'll finish up shortly. Jackd... it seems to me that we moved in each others shadows so many years ago out at the Lake. I look forward to meeting you in person sometime soon for coffee and some reminiscing. Now for some clues to finish this up...moved away from the lake in 1966 and moved back to Port Alberni in 1971 for one year when Dad was transferred to MB Somass... since then I have lived in the Chemainus area as Dad moved up the food chain working at both Chemainus Sawmill and finally at Copper Canyon. From those days at the lake, you may remember my five sisters - Sister Steph was best friends with Sandra Munch... Sister Catherine with Mary Wilkie. Me?... I was friends with the two Long brothers... Dan Kingsley... Brad Yesowick and Kirk Larsen. Let's have our next conversation over coffee here in Chemainus. I'll send you a private message tomorrow sometime if you haven't figured this out. It's been fun. And to everyone else on this forum, thanks for indulging Jackd and I in this game of clues.
Come on we all want to hear the rest of the story it is getting interesting.
mountainskidder: Here is exactly where to look for the serial number of your trailer. I threw you off by saying 7 digits but because it's a newer trailer it will be 4 digits. This is my trailer and your serial number will be in the same place.
The good ol' red and white still shows up from time to time. Do not know the history of this long boom. North Island Division, maybe.
HDX... I found the number FV 91123 E1 above that location. Check post #1323 above for more.
This one was still warmed up--just walked off the barge.
mountainskidder That number was a trailer build arrangement number This trailer had the same number because of the square reach If it was built with the round reach it would be FV97144-D. That number is stamped into both sides of the trailer body for easy access by assembly crew. If you look on the bottom of the drivers side under the "X" number it will show up. It will be smaller numbers and it will start with "S/N ####" only 4 numbers Trust me here!! These trailers were ordered for Shawnigan Division and were used behind their HD Hayes's. The one I have was delivered new behind H16. It was a HD 35-78 Delivered July 17/72 The trailers originally came with 12:00X25 tires. H22 and H23 also were the same size trucks delivered there and I am wondering if in fact your trailer did not come behind H23 There is no record of M&B trailers after 1970 other than some spotty ones I have over the years kept my own records of as many trailer numbers as I could dig up and where they went etc. I tried going backwards through everything but it was not to be. Get your trusty old wire brush out again for me. I will wait right here LOL
Makes better sense than a grease fitting. Thanks. Time for a pair of glasses.
The long boom( L326) was originally from Menzies Bay division. It has a Detroit Diesel 50 series in the upper works for power. I think it was sold from Menzies around 97 or 98 when they decided to lease all Equipment from Tmar and Inland Kenworth. L326 was built by Tmar.
HDX, you didn't happen to look at the builders plate on that 7230 did you? I think thats Ironsides machine..dont know the number though. HDMech, I remember reading somewhere that Russel and Lilly had L326 for awhile. Not sure who had it up till now though.
No I didn't Scott It was kind of a hurry hurry thing and so just snapped a couple shots for the guys on here. Like HD Mech says The long boom worked at Menzies but I was not sure The last long boom I saw there was a wooden one but I knew they used that type of machine up there. All of our long booms used the four point grapples not the two point. Don't know if they would cast the two points as far as the four points Maybe one of the guys on here will pop up with some numbers for you Sorry I will try and be more diligent next time LOL
Its ok I won't hold it against you, haha. You don't see many, or any really, of the four point grapples around on line loaders anymore.
HDX... You put the pressure on me... you know, waiting right there... thought I'd better find that S/N tonight. And hey... success! The S/N is 5327... took a bit of elbow, but I found it! See attached photo. Yeah!
OK Here you go It is X223 S/N 5827 LT60 Delivered to M&B's Shawnigan Division with Truck number H23 (S/N 5826) April 18/73 As I said H23 was an HD 35-78 Both truck and trailer came with 12:00X25 tires The tires would have been changed to 14:00X25 later on because they probably could not get or they became so expensive to get the 12:00's and the standard tires around were the 14:00's so it was convenient. This was a two truck order Also was unit number H22 (S/N 5824) and its trailer was X222 (S/N 5825) I will copy the spec's for you and send them down with Larry He will drop by tomorrow morning to see you guys. The guy stamping the numbers did not hit the 8 hard enough and that is why it looks like a 3. As soon as I started looking I knew something was wrong Went through the company Orders and there it was. What makes this whole thing so interesting is that the Elk River Timber WHD that I have is S/N 5823 VERY INTERESTING. Thank You for going back out on a night like this.
Have no fear the HDX detective will know or figure it out. You are an amazing fellow Steve, I used to think you should write a book. The more I find out about you a book would not hold it all more a series of books!
Good morning Jim, Thanks for the vote of confidence!! Was a combined effort by all involved. mountainskidder asked and we delivered. Does not get better than that. Funny how one thing will lead into another. I did discover that these square reach's were still used up till almost the end of Hayes production AND also found the truck that has eluded me for so long. I had heard of but never gave it a second thought about an HDX somewhere in the M&B empire with SPR 570 rear diffs. It was way back and I thought they were mistaken and they were actually 121's. Well it was recorded wrong It was H29 Copper Canyon Division delivered in 1971 with the SPRs HDX 45-145 VERY IMPRESSIVE Wonder what ever became of her Cant recall seeing pictures if her or they would have stood out. There is a shot on you tube of an M&B HDX that someone (driver ) had changed the number to H17 and it shows this truck going by with a load of logs. IT HAD big diff's Maybe--will try and track that vid down when time permits and see what I can find out. ANOTHER ADVENTURE COMING UP
I feel that I can't disappoint Hank R by taking this conversation totally private. I sent you a pm via my company email address last evening. I am still not completely certain of your identity which makes this all the more intriguing. Brad, Steve and Mike Yesowick of the sporting goods fame. Haven't thought of them for years. I still remember the old man standing in front of the sporting goods store having a smoke, waiting for customers to come in. Good times had with those three playing hockey on frozen McCoy Lake in the winter. I saw Kirk Larsen last summer at the high school reunion - his Dad drove the Shell fuel truck out to our machines at Sproat Lake Division. Bruce Kingsley now has a large trucking company hauling chips and what have you on the east side of the Island - his trucks are a common site. I quite enjoyed my high school reunion last summer and the high point was seeing all my fellow 'Lakers' who gravitated towards each other. We had a perfect world to grow up in - prosperous times and our lives ahead of us.
The Thunderbird was an amazing logging shovel.
HDX. Go to Pic #31 of this thread. There are 2 pics of the H-29. I cannot tell maybe you can
Pic 47 shows H-27? With sander and either 121s or SPD 570
HDX... Thanks so much for all your detective work. Glad to go out last night and provide some more details. And looking forward to anything else you can find out about her. Interesting... that last bit about the duplicate S/N on the Elk River Timber WHD... I wonder where that will lead. But now that we know that H23 and X223 arrived in Shawnigan in 1973 (BTW, my Dad was the divisional accountant in the early 80s at Shawnigan and worked in the office - probably saw that truck lumber by a few times) and I wonder if anyone in this forum might possible know where a photo of this old red'n'white might be found? Don't forget to call Ian (250-210-8884) about grabbing that plate and pin. Or maybe Larry is going to sort that out for you.
Jackd... yes, I would agree that we had a perfect world to grow up in. I used to marvel at the Mars Water Bomber which seemed to brush the tree-tops on its landing approach up the Sproat River where it would touch down just past the load-out in front of the petroglyphs. I remember waving to the pilot... and I'm sure he waved back, I mean... he was close enough to see us kids on Dickson Drive below... I could see his head-set. Living at Sproat Lake on Dickson allowed for opportunities that maybe Jackd didn't enjoy. I'm talking about the neighbourhood kids getting an opportunity to actually get inside those planes... there were three planes back then. In 1961 the Marianas Mars crashed while fighting a fire... I think at Northwest Bay... my sister was friends with the daughter of the pilot who perished... well, it was a sad time in our house. I think the last name was Ross but can't remember her first name. The tour of the Hawaii Mars was memorable... like, we were just kids and they let us walk on the wing. You'd never get away with that now. I don't know about you living on McCoy Lake Rd, but anytime the Mars flies and I hear it before I see it... I know exactly what is coming because those four radial engines have a distinctive roar. Oh... figured out who I am yet? How about this... the property that Dad purchased to place that old house moved from Great Central Lake was the original homestead of the McDonald family. I remember Dad burning the old homestead house down to make room for our $1 house - oh yes, folks that moved their house away from Great Central Lake?... got them for a dollar. And the old Mackenzie mansion of a house on the waterfront was just below us.
The Cummins display was 1990, I wonder if it's any different today? I hope not as it was a real good display. The knife still is in my garage and occasionally gets used. Y-31, what can I say? A real log hungry piece of iron!
While you were looking at the Mars landing from the Dickson Drive side of the lake, I was standing in the water over at Smith's Landing, watching the same performance happening overhead. I was in awe. To this day I blame that early aviation exposure on my eventual career choice of the aviation industry. I still remember the grief that fell over the community when the Marianas crashed at NWB. My early wrenching years were spent under the wing of a former flight engineer on those things and he did not paint a good picture of working at that operation. My ambition was to someday work as an engineer at the FIFT operation as a final wind down of my working days but that will never be. I do hope they retain the Hawaiian in Port as an ongoing attraction to visitors.
Great news--pin and plate are home. Started working on them today. For all you guys who were wondering what the hell the horseshoe was all about, here's a picture of it and where it goes to hold the bunk on. Once the bunk is dropped on the truck, you install this horseshoe and put the two bolts in. All this is done through that small rectangular hole you saw in the picture of the bunk. This stops the bunk from flipping off the truck.
Pretty simple set up..Can it be greased once assembled.
The saucer on the bunk has grease passages drilled in it leading to overlapping circles cut in the underside of the saucer. Sort of like the shape of a figure eight.
A few picture sure help to clear up what you were talking about, HDX. Sure nothing like I had pictured in my little brain. It all makes sense now.
1993 at Kennedy Lake Division, the L-118 had just arrived.
Wow, a Kobelco! What model was that? A 400?
The J228 I believe it's out Sproat Lk Div, Possibly Upper Canyon area.
I think it was a 400 but my memory about the model is dim. The stick developed a crack on the lower rounded area near the cylinder anchor brackets. We found out the nice rounded part was fiber glass, think Bondo.
Yes that is a 400 it looks just like the one Scott reed has in Kenndy lake still
Every Jewell boom I know of has cracked. They look nice though. Lol Strange to see triple bars on it also.
Really? Wow it'll be 23 years old this spring. Is it still alive? Or does he have a different one?
Kennedy Lake Division, 1994 with the Y-03, a 144 Madill on Northridge Road. That road was evil on large equipment, it ate several over the life of the road network. The Y-03 lay almost upside down for about a month before a new road was built to get to it. The battery acid etched some of the gear train so that was replaced. The boom had to be cut off and Bill Forester was very helpful in where to make the cuts for easier repairs. The Y-03 was on the lowbed and it tracked to the edge, the road edge sluffed and over it went. The truck was ok and the lowbed had minimal damage, if I remember correctly the lowbed was over the edge but the truck was sideways on the road. No people injuries.
Calling the shop I'm going down to help Scott put new rails and pads on it in the next few weeks and I'll have a closer look to see if it's the same machine
callingtheshop the Y03 came to Eve River when Kennedy Lake was closed. That was 97 I think. It was barged to Kelsey Bay and then Kelsey Bays low bed brought it over to Eve River. I think whenever it had to be moved we used Kelsey Bays low bed because ours didn't have a folding gooseneck so you had to side load everything.
Any one from these Div want these Just pay postage Much cleaner than pic
Ray, Sounds like another small package of Heli up there this summer. I will look you up and grab them then if your okay with that. They would look really good in our "Museum". Either that or Vince could bring them down if your looking to get them out of your way.
The Menzies one is gone will keep the other for you
Thank you
Kennedy Lake Division 1996, Beaufort Life Raft Demonstration. I'll try to get the photos in proper order. A barge and a crew boat had these rafts that had to be certified annually. I asked someone what was inside the canister, no one really knew so I phoned the company that certified them and got a lot of information and then did two demonstrations to the crew. This is with the shop crew and did the same thing one morning at marshaling time with the remainder of the crew. There's a rope that you have to tie to the boat that's sinking, this is to stop the lift raft from drifting away. Harvey just pulled the rope out of the canister for the demo, that rope was very long. Inside the life raft, one one each end, is a folding knife for cutting the rope after everyone is in the raft. The knife has a cord tied to the inside of the raft so it can't go missing.
I think the rafts were for 24 people and had been given permission not to have any food because of the location where they were being used. There's other stuff inside like flashlights and distress flares (pistols), a few more things that I can't remember. A lot of people ride the BC Ferries and there's a lot of these rafts on the ferries but a lot larger. As these rafts inflated, they righted themselves and are supposed to do that in the water. It was a real interesting exercise and fortunately they never got used.
UUMMM Would you be able to send one of those to us On second thought maybe send a few I think we are sinking. Just send them care of Cameron Shop. Do they come with extra paddles We will require MANY MANY of those!!!!
HDX, You guys going to start floating the logs to former DLS , now called the WLS. Maybe you could build a flume, and send the logs to the inlet, and give rides in the inflatable boats.
the rules old MB literature
HDX... don't know if you know where any photos of H23 that might be hiding, but it would be great to see the H23 truck and X223 trailer from their operational years. Maybe someone in the Red & White Forum might have a snap of them somewhere. As a follow-up on X223, she is being re-purposed on the farm here in Chemainus. Larry and Ian have been welding and fitting and finally got X223 ready for a new mount... in this case, a ex-coal hauler dump box sourced out of Savona. It's brand-new and never been used... the box came on a spiffy-new KW from the factory for a coal mine in the BC Interior, but the coal mine went titters before delivery. Coal hauling trucks were sold - there were three - and this dump box (about 10ft wide and 24ft long) was left behind when the trucks were sold. Ian got it for a steal and will swap the dump box and with a big HOULE manure spreader on X223 depending on what their farm needs are that the time. As the photos below show, the dump box is sitting place... now the boys can zero in on where the lift cylinder and box hinges will be placed. I'm going to try and talk Ian into painting X223 MB red! More updates to come in the future.
Well they sure have done a nice conversion on it. It is good to see a piece of M&B equipment being put back into service. It will look even better when she is all spiffed up Very impressive mountainskidder As for H23 I don't have any that would be of any help There has to be Shawnigan drivers around that would have a shot of her stashed away in their album's somewhere
MOO POO Express Soon
As an update to this conversation - Mountainskidder and I finally met again for coffee this week in Chemainus. We hadn't seen each other in 51 years by my calculation. He hasn't changed much because I still recognized him. We are both busy people in our lives and our work carries us to the Lower Mainland. We realized that we still have much in common - even modern day acquaintences that we both know. Small world this. Back to regular programming.
This has been a great tale. No better reward in life then friendship renewed after 50 years. Thanks guys
As we are both commuters to our jobs on the mainland, the conversation turned to where we live while there. Big place that Lower Mainland. Well it would seem that he stays just down the street from where I lived for decades. His next door neighbour tutored my son through school (gorgeous red head). I know several of his neighbours it would seem. On the other hand I know very few people in Chemainus.
The truck is from Kennedy Lake DLS. I got the photo sent to me a couple weeks ago from Terry S. with a comment that it's been a long time since an off highway truck has been there. No good information on the truck, history, etc. The view of the gas pump price was from Edmonton on Feb. 13, 2016 while I was there. What are the prices on Van. Is. now? Taber is around $0.70 - $0.72.
Ladysmith went from .91 up to .96 yesterday
Was 1.06 in Vancouver this week. I fill in Ladysmith before I head over here - always much cheaper there. I imagine the price here in YVR also got the 5 cent increase.
Regular was .979 and Diesel was .919 yesterday. That's the lowest we have had in a long time.
callingtheshop Do you know if this was a recent picture taken out there??? Sure looks like ex QCI division H152. MAYBE!!!!! Cant tell if it has twin turbo V12 or not.
Check your private mail please. I know it's a recent photo.
HDX... noticed this Hayes red and green down at Toquart Bay next to the Salmon Beech boat ramp back in 2012... just came across this photo today. I wonder if this old girl was a Coulson truck?. Because also in the shot is the front-end of a Kenny off-road rock truck with Coulson FP on the door. H7 looks like a former MB with a bit of "moss" growing on the hood.
No that truck was owned by a fellow in tofino but it was cut up a couple years ago and most of the truck went into the scrap bin as well as a P16 he had
PenHil: I posted the first three in the wrong place! Here's some China Creek Dryland Sort pictures.
A couple more:
Driver Trev Bagley with H-260:
075, I'm posting these for you. When you look at the second picture you will see why I was standing so far away to take the first picture. lol
Here are a couple of pictures of Bill Nelson. He was our truck foreman in the early 90's. He was an old Norrie Bros. employee. Don't know where he went after he left Franklin. He was a good friend.
Pretty easy to see why you want to go back to H-17's original color, that bottom photo is very nice
LOL been there done that. Looks like he broke a guy line .Usually happens when you are skinning the grapple back and it catches a stump and hangs up before you can throw the haulback clutch off
I was going to put this into the BCFP Forum as that's where 'Spark Arresters' was started but I found this one while working at Franklin River. I think it was the early 70's at Sarita on the bush side of a ditch that I spotted the rusted out remains of an old an unique spark arrester. It came home and I turned it into a beautiful heirloom which my wife was overjoyed to see. I think it adapted to a 4" exhaust? I asked Jack O'Brian about it but he didn't know the history. Anyone else? Gas in Taber, was $.809 on Friday.
1995 Tranquil One power units were originally 160 HP and replaced with 200 HP as the old ones crapped out. I personally felt the craft needed around 1000 HP and did a cost analysis of a conversion but it wasn't worth it. In the photo (left to right) is Keith, Keith and Harvey. The typical 'Hole in the Water to Pour $$ Into'. 1996 Estevan X on a trip from Port Alberni back to Tofino Inlet after repairs at a marine shop.
I worked at China Creek for 34 years. I will try and find some pictures of the Madill log loader.We got it new in 1991.itwas the only one built, it came with came with a 52 ft. jewel boom.
Welcome to the site, PenHil. That was an incredible log loader. Look forward to seeing your pictures.
I was one of the guys that delivered it. Also came up and did some modifications to the bottom track rollers. Took out the rubber shock blocks I think was what we did. Hauled one of our shop forklifts up to handle the rollers. Everybody thought we were nuts but it sure worked slick. Would really like to see some pictures of the machine.
The pictures that HDX posted of China Creek on the top of this page shows the 902 on the right side.
Kennedy Lake Division 1994 Bill and Bill with the barrel remains from Green Peace demonstrations on the Clayoquot Arm Bridge. They had chained their arms into 4" tubes in the barrels. Really nice people.
Pen hill,welcome to the forum. With 34 yrs under your belt,you should have a few interesting stories to tell. Look forward to hearing some. Bp
H17 With Red Dress On I was rooting through some files... a little spring cleaning you might say... and I came across a poster that was used for in some sort of presentation many years ago. And there she was in red and white... looking pretty dam spiffy... H17 in her favourite colours... and trailing some gorgeous "fir" behind her! HDX... can you tell us where and when that photo might have been taken?
mountainskidder Man that brings back some memories! Jeff Cook loaded it out at the back end of Nadira 8 Dave Sneddon was second loading for Jeff, Picture was taken at China Creek Dryland Sort It was around May 2000. Note that there is no decals on her door. This was because we were Weyerheauser at that time. They gave up asking me to remove the M&B mud flaps. They were on there till HFS took her to Duncan shop. I think they were put somewhere for safe keeping down there! Thanks for sharing this moment in time with everybody.
Kennedy Lake Division 1996 M-40 grader after an in-house rebuild. The rebuild team, Cab: Bill T. Ground L-R: Tom S., Charlie H., Mike B., Bill I., and Roger G.
Went into the vault today.
And a few more:
Getting close to fire season again. Had these stashed away:
A couple more:
Wow! You have quite the vault! Are the newspaper articles from the MB Journal?
Well done. So many of us just chucked the very same papers from our own companies with thinking
HD Mech Yes they are.
http://gallery.crmuseum.ca/category/collection/martin-fossum-collection Could this be the same Martin Fossum in post # 1413?
Thanks for the pictures HDX. Those bring back some memories. My Dad was in one of them, must have been 71 or 72. Lots of names from the past there.
Well on the positive side Steve you have found some time to track down these archives. I was waiting for Wornout wrench to reply, good shot of his dad there. I would say 72 judging by all the bullbucker postings that were up. Likely around the time the fallers strike ended. Two people would know for sure. HDX with the M&B journal and the young fella that was awarded the trainee shop foreman position at Franklin. Very well done with that post HDX.
Feb/April 72 Yes it was one big going concern back then. Perhaps the best times of our young lives and we never even knew it. Sure did get to meet some very knowledgeable talented guys back then. If you paid attention you couldn't buy the experience you learned watching these guys.
The very same can be said about you sir
Well said, about HDX. There are many on here that must of listened to the old timers, as they have aged what they have learned and done will never be done again. Then to have them share their knowledge so freely is what makes them what they are, great!
Big loads Back around 96 Cameron Div. had a pipe and loader on Museum 2. About 12 K from China Creek sort. Most of the road fairly good going. The H-153 and H-155 and the loader decided to build a couple of nice loads. The trucks would call at China junction to make sure the road was clear and proceed. The first load was 197 meters and the second was 201. It took a 980 and 988 to push off.
I never worked for the Red and White giant aside from a few contract projects(the trailer lift at the beach at Northwest Bay Div was one of my creations),my woods career was spent with a good contractor in the Charlottes and Johnston Straits.I just have to say that M&B was a great leader in an industry that hasn't been the same since their demise.Thanks to you guys for all the good stuff about them!
When L.G. retired from the Franklin River shop he gave me a few photos he got from Cypress Equipment. Just on here because the photos are kind of interesting, thanks.
Anyone want to hazard a guess as to what make truck is being loaded in post 1428. the windshield kind of looks like a Dodge, but I doubt that is what it is. Without the radiator it might be difficult to ID, although it looks like the hood is somewhat rounded over the grill?
I am thinking Mack because of the rounded roofline.
That truck would be a GMC,. My very first log truck was a '56 GMC with a 6-71.
That last pic could be a B model Mack but the other pics might be a GMC,dang it,I hate to be put on the spot like this.LOL.These were back in my day.Ron G
I am inclined to agree with both of you. The latter picture does look like a B model Mack from the side window. There are two of them sitting at a house movers yard just a mile away from me. As to the first two pictures being of a GMC, that is certainly possible, but there is something just not quite right about the windshield angle and the front of the hood from what we can see also looks a bit different. I need to look at some pictures for comparison.
B Model Mack Pretty sure thats a B Model Mack, Howe Sound Timber had a fleet of "B" Model macks
post #1428 The top two pictures are of a GMC, the giveaway there is the rounded front fender. The last picture is B model Mack. Top of the door is more rounded than the GMC.
Boulder Bill , M & B Franklin River , Div 1st picture 2 HDX Hayes , Upper Klanawa M/L . 2nd picture 1989 Challenger , Br. 121 . 3rd picture 1988 P-16 Pacific .
I don't think those are BILL ELLIOTS PICTURES!!!
A couple more from the Cypress Equipment Photos.
HDX,post 1436, can you fill in the blanks. What may have happened and why is empty truck going same direction as loaded truck?
All that happened was Jerry went into the corner too fast with a load and it bit him. The guy leaning against the pick up in the left corner is Harvey George He was one of our second loaders He is there because they are waiting for the rubber tired log loader to come (probably Billy Oakley L29) to load the logs on the empty truck and stand up the one on its side. The reach is broken in the picture so either the low bed or an empty conventional would have gone out and got the trailer body. Conventional would have left his trailer in Camp B and gone out to the scene and they would have thrown it onto its back. The front bunk and that end of the reach would have been left on the truck and driven in that way. Matter of fact I have a picture of it in Camp B in that position. Also The P16 IS NOT A 1988 It is a 1989 It was one of the last series P16's we got The regular driver was away and a spare driver was driving her when this happened. BR202 Sarita. This was prior to the chrome brush guard being installed on her Remember H138 H139 H140 H153 and H155 all came at same time 1989!!!
M&b Dear Steve, I grew up in port alberni and was forchanate enough to see some of the final days of Macmillan bloedel, my father worked on the booming grounds for the pulp mill. Anyways when m&b sold out he was able to grab a few pieces of m&b memorabilia. I was wondering if you might have anything you'd might want to part with as I'm trying to collect anything m&b related any leads would also be greatly appreciated. Also does the name Hugh Ferchette ring a bell? Please message me if you can help me out thank you.
RCP57,well Reg,you have been very quiet. Any projects on the go?
Hey Ian. Yes, a few things on the go but nothing relative to here. Working on a dump trailer at the moment and it is finally nearing completion. I also converted a couple of new 1/16 "Bruder Toys" Cat compactors to remote control last month. They are very detailed plastic models so they're a good starting point. Besides adding drive motors and steering, I bought some more scale looking rubber tires and then machined aluminum wheels that look like the 1:1 Cat stuff so that we could ditch the generic looking plastic tires. I added nearly 2lbs inside each drum as well as a vibrating motor(The models are about 6lbs total). The vibrator is turned on and off via a switch on the radio as is the rotating beacon on the roof. The blades are remote controlled as well. Kind of a fun little unit I guess. I built one for a customer and the other for myself but I may get rid of both as I don't really need a compactor for my logging road.lol I was asked if I could add a shovel to the front of the trailer I am building at the moment so I quickly made this up last night. You get a glimpse of the trailer in the video as well. [video=youtube;JVEaeGQeQ-k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVEaeGQeQ-k[/video]
HDmechanic23 You have to make or add two more post's on the forum here, then I will be able to PM you and we can BS . Hugh is a long time friend. Probably one of the most experienced mechanics still in the business. He is also THE ONLY mechanic ever to be a Pacific Truck and Trailer apprentice. I did not know that till he showed us his papers. Very well respected guy by those that care. Does it matter what M&B stuff it is? I do have decal sets that I have had for years in the hopes that what happened at Christmas would happen. Now I don't know if I want to use them and have new "Fresh ones" made for the doors. The decal material is changing all the time and getting better, Something to ponder when the time is right LOL
Just lovely work there.I have a lot of miles in a triaxle dump trailer with a Freuhauf tub.32' as I remember pulled by a DM600 Mack.Keep up the good work.Ron G
Thanks!
RCP57,well Reg I am very impressed. The whole unit is awesome. Well done
Reg you do unbelievable work , but check with the driver , he might want the shovel on the driver side of the trailer where its handy to get at when he steps out of the truck .
Thanks guys! Al, It doesn't make much sense but that seems to be the place the real trailer manufacturer mounts the shovel because on the drivers side there will be a ladder which leads up to the tarp mechanism. I think it would make more sense to have the shovel on the truck or maybe even the trailer frame. It's seems to me that if the box was up and you needed the shovel it might be a little hard to reach when it's 20 odd feet up.lol
Can anyon shed some light on this abandoned tower? It's Located in port Neville I believe
wow still guyed up ..... just waiting for the trees to grow again
HD 23, that is so cool! There used to be one in the Sayward Valley, a wooden tree, so they're both in the neighbourhood of one another. Does anyone know if the one in Sayward is still standing? I took photos of the Sayward one but the regrowth stopped me from getting any good photos. Probably around the late 80's? Everything was there, even some split firewood for the boiler. And the whistle batteries, the tall cylinder ones with the knurled nuts on top. The crew just walked away from it, everything was there, guylines, butt rigging, chokers, donkey. Everything.
The first time I walked into the wooden spar on Mt Kusam (1977) there was a tea kettle still sitting on the boiler along with everything you mentioned. I think it was taken down to Glen Duncan's museum at the Cable cafe. As to the one at Port Neville if I remember correctly in the later 70s there was a major road washout between the beech and the spar. Between the cost of road repair and value of the timber that was left plus the spar the contractor walked away. I recall talk of flying pieces out with a helicopter but I don't think much happened. Probably the bank still owns it. I vaguely remember the guy that looked after the talkie tooters and radioes in Kelsey Bay walked into it to take the radios off it. The picture looks quite old as I would think the 2nd growth must have about swallowed it up by now. I flew by it in a helicopter in the 90s. We did a couple of laps but weren't able to land anywhere near it.
I'm not sure who exactly owned the harder in the picture but it leaves me wondering why they would just walk way from it forever like that? Anyone have any ideas?
It has been said that the road washed out that they would have used for access and it would cost more to fix the road than the equipment was worth.Ron G
I did not see a shovel, was it abandoned also? In the 70s I would also expect to see a landing cat possibly abandoned also.
Just guessing, but if there was a landing cat they could have walked it around the washout, maybe a shovel also with a little road building. The tower would need a much more substantial road to get it rescued and cost could have become a major issue. Shame to see that machine just sitting there, but I guess it is essentially worth scrap value these days??
Yes its a shame to see it sitting there but Its better than hearing they made a thousand toaster ovens out of it in China.Hopefully the scrappers will never get it and it just stay there and keep a watch over things....
There is 09 and a 500 series American sitting just north of Port Hardy on the mainland ,In a landing with wood piled around it. Been there for years,Looks like they went broke and just walked away
Just for something to do, I used Google Earth to see if I could find this tower among the second growth timber and had no success. Tried to follow old overgrown logging roads, but there is a lot of country up there and the resolution is not too good. I might have been looking too close to Port Neville, which is not a huge town.
Port Neville isn't really a town. At one time it was a happening place but now consists of a Government wharf and a private home which has been there for decades. There are family connections to Hardwicke Island which is nearby and has been populated since the late 1800's or early 1900's. Port Neville's claim to fame is that it actually has a post office. There a few residents that live in the area but not right at Port Neville. They come by boat to pick up their mail. A lot of summer boaters make a point of dropping into Port Neville just to mail a letter. Interesting history in the area. If you are interested the history is all intertwined with Kelsey Bay, Hardwicke Island and Port Neville.
Hmm, actually I might have found it, although the resolution is too low to be sure. A spot of yellow among the trees, although it seems further from the water than the photo suggests. I am not going to post the coordinates, or the mountain I think it is on, but I doubt a scrapper could get it out of there if I did find the location.
QCI Early 90's
gg@m&b. I missed your first post. So welcome to the forum. Pictures are great. If you have more,please post. We are thirsty for more. Enjoy. Bp.
Welcome gg@m&b, nice pics,the first pic looks like H135 on the Datleman. This might get me moving on scanning my pictures into the computer.
Correct HD Mech. Don Ward driving H135. 2nd one is Owen Hageman also coming out of the Datelman.
As a child my family used to camp all over Vancouver Island. I have memories of stopping to check out the logging equipment at different M&B operations during these holidays. During a trip to Morton Lake campground sometime around 1989-91, accessed from the Menzies bay mainline, we stopped to checkout the Mack off-highway trucks parked at the Menzies bay shop. I remember that one of the trucks had the name "Jimmy Two Loads" on the door / side of the truck... Does anyone out there know the story behind this nickname or have any pictures of this specific truck? I have wondered for many years if there was a good story behind the nickname.
Found some time tonight NWB Mid Eighties
More
I remember the two rollovers, I think the first one the Owen met somebody at the end of the day coming from camp who didn't call out, so he ditched it rather than run them over. I think I was there watching the loader put it back on the road as I remember The night chargehand or Paddy O'brien told me they would let the truck sit for a few hours then turn the engine over by hand to make sure there was no oil in the cylinders beforethey would try to start it. The second one I believe gave Frank quite a scare. I think my charge hand on nightshift drove the truck back to the shop that night after it had been put back on its wheels. Thanks for posting the pictures, they bring back memories.
Well Done HD Mech. One of Frankie back on the road and then reloading onto Archie. How the H-43 came to a stop and then the recovery! Now back to the picture albums
What camp did these occur?
Qci 1993
Thanks
Farm Needs Changed - Former MB Shawnigan X223 Pole Trailer Now Poop Spreader HDX... As I said in an earlier post, as farm needs change X223 may be re-purposed with an Houle manure spreader. In this case, X223 grabbed a big gulp and sprayed that water on the roads in preparation for taking some grass silage. All the truck traffic coming off and back onto the fields tends kicks up a bit of dust over the 2-3 days it requires to move the crop down into the silos so a little bit of water on the road - especially in that location near our place - keeps the Misses happy and life is good.
mountainskidder, That is VERY CLASSY, I think something like what they have built will as you say keep the farm equipment really versatile. I am amazed by how similar farmers are to loggers and vice versa. Perhaps it is because we both look at a piece of equipment and think WHAT ELSE COULD IT DO?? Pass on to the guys WELL DONE!! I looked at the other axle I have for them and it has a bend in it but will still work good for what they are using them for. Will get Larry to stop on Friday and take a couple pictures of it for Ian. It still has outside wheels on it and the drums but I think they don't want the wheels or drums on it. Let me know. We might be going down to sooke so it would probably get dropped off at the farm. Thanks for the up-date on X223
I saw this today while I was out riding around. HDX, do you know where it came from? [video=youtube;-MfDn3KjH0I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MfDn3KjH0I[/video]
Blk prince / Ray Peerens One of the last Off Highway logging trucks to dump at M&B Shawnigan Div. DLS August 2002 .
Blk prince / Ray Peerens One of the first Highway Trucks to dump a load of logs hauled from the woods and dumped at M&B Shawnigan Div. DLS . Augast 2002 .
My guess on the ford fire truck would be origionally Northwest bay division
Hi all, new to this forum and wondering if anyone had any pictures of the skyline logging equipment from Port McNeill division, as my father worked on the rigging there in the 80s and 90s. Thanks!
M&B sproat lake division wonderfully preserved in Port Alberni BC
Great to see something from Sproat Lake Division. This truck was delivered in 1958 from a list previously posted on this site. Would it have been carrying out fire tanker truck or sand truck duties during my days working there in the 70's? Where is it at now?
Macleans mill site, port alberni bc
post's 1479 & 1480 look at size difference of the load in the grapple between the the two trucks and how much of the fork's are sticking out on the highway truck.
Clintm,that stacker is doing 1/2 the work it is rated for. Take a long time to wear it out. In this area we have 2 sorts using Volvo or Cat rubber tire grapples to unload. Takes 3-4 passes to unload a highway truck. Wood does get speared and logs do fall out of load when long and short logs are mixed. The stackers are harder to find and costly for parts but sure save time and easy on truck and load. Bp
I saw the 14E grader in Hanna Alberta a few days ago at a gas station/store. I mentioned to the cashier that it was a very old grader and she said it was the third one hired to get the job done correctly and it was now going smoothly. It shows some wear and tear, especially the tires but it was running nicely. I was in Montana yesterday and spotted the old tire truck, maybe an ex M&B? I don't recognize it but there were a lot of M&B tire trucks.
I see the J73 from Sproat Lake is for sale on the Forestech Equipment website.
I set beads on the J73 when it was brand new on the claim. 'Cousin Four Eyes' was running it. They were using it with a 'Shot Gun' carriage at first, but switched to a regular set-up soon after. I think my closest brush with death was on that thing. That was only 38 years ago....
Just saw a red and white KW loaded headed thru Ladysmith. Looked like Central Island on door. From Port I think. Would be nice to see truck repainted and have original numbers on it. Should ne H453 or 454 from Nanaimo River when new. Still has jeep and three axle trailer. Same as new.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/659913964183429/ New group about M&B.
I was going through a box of pictures that I had stashed away and came across these. The first one is Gary and Linda Cathers dining on the fender of H-94 at the truck show in Port Alberni 1998. The second one is Kip White with his H-24 at Cameron Div. It was rare to catch him without the low-bed hooked to his truck.
I have to ask....how is it that H-94 looks so damn clean and spiffy there in 1998 ???? Edit....so H-94 is the 3412 powered truck that had a bit of a accident...Is this after the rebuild..?? I thought the accident was early in its life....
Yes Cory Same truck. When Luke had his little boo boo she was lowbedded down to Intertruck in Nanaimo They were of coarse the Pacific dealer. She was rebuilt and came back good as ever. However she soldiered on for some years and then the decision was made to have her rebuilt again as the new low bed truck. There had been a great deal of success with Karl and H92 under the Lowbed trailer, It had been rebuilt and came back with steering capability. There was Rams on each side that would allow the back end of it to steer around corners. This was fantastic from a "Push Truck Drivers" point of view because now you were in the middle of the road where you should be instead of struggling away in the ditch trying to keep pushing the bed around corners going up the mountain. There was a couple centering valves mounted on the console behind the shifter and a big gauge with Port and Starboard on it for left and right. As the driver was coming up to a corner he would flip the valve one way or the other depending on the corner and the trailer would steer as much as he wanted it to turn. When you were traveling down the mainline you could use the other valve and it would activate a big pin that would drop down into pocket and that would lock the bogie solid and keep him going straight. Karl got unbelievably accurate with this system and you could really boogie right along. Then the time came for Karl and Luke both to retire.This left a real problem,Now the trucks were all being driven by fairly new drivers.It was decided that H94 was the likely candidate for the job. Once again she was lowbedded to Nanaimo . This time she went to Kenworth and they tore her right down and did a total rebuild New cab new everything. AND plumbed for the lowbed. The driver that she was custom rebuilt for was Gary Cathers. That was a hard decision for him because he had got the H140 (H14) new and really liked it. There were a couple of us that were in the running also but we would not give up our trucks LOL so the dirty deed fell on Gary. We still smile just remembering these little things. So as you can see old H94 had a pretty colorful life. Now she spends her time in Ft Mac. It was Weyco that put an end to her and she went through a number of outfits before ending up over at Coast Powertrain. Was a sad time to see all those trucks just thrown to the winds. H92 would suffer the parting out fate and is now a parts residue truck for the fellow down in Washington State that has the H93. Those three trucks were really a credit to Pacific Truck's engineering staff and the guys that built them. Where ever I go and start BSing with guys I always hear the same story YUP I drove those trucks AND also drove the H17. Just gotta smile. And that is some of the H94 saga
Thank you....Good story...It also happens to answer my next question as to weather H-94 was the truck in Alberta and it is..My friends son Steve Child (I believe you know his Grandpa, Bud Child) see's the truck quite often and last year they put a new 3412 in her. She is still going strong... Thanks
You said Gary gave up H-14 (H-140) for H-94 and that he really like H-14 so I dug through my pics out of curiousity and found this pic of H-14..No idea on where the pic came from or the date it was taken...
Good picture. I took it up when we were taking the right of way wood off the top of Flora Lake Line 900. There is another picture of when he was coming around one of the switchbacks and I climbed down the bank to get an "Action" shot. I seem to remember him pushing one of the rubber tired log loaders up the mountain and somehow there was a 5 gal pail of anti-freeze up on the deck of the loader and when the angle of approach was greatest it fell over backwards and landed right on H14's hood. It was amazing to hear just how much foul language could come out in one sentence. If you look close you can see the MACK Bulldog that Gary had mounted to the top of the brushguard
Cool....yes I can see the bulldog...Gary had his own reasons for mounting it there I imagine ??..I know some one who put the bull dog on his Hayes but not in such proud fashion. Truck looks fairly new there but that isn't always the case with well maintained trucks and proud/happy drivers as they can tend to look new forever...I see a single pipe..Truck was KTA powered or had it been repowered by this point..
Yes Had the KTA right up till Hayes forest took her to Duncan and repainted her and rebuilt her and of coarse the paint scheme she still carries today
Traveling from LA to San Diego on train at the moment. Seeing these pictures now is great
It was somewhat uncanny that we were talking about Luke and his H94. I found out the other day that Luke had passed away last Saturday. His son Steven is one of our members on here (Weber) Our thoughts and prayers are with him and his mom Alice through this painful time.
Not H-152, she is still here. Sure looks like an ex-QCD truck. Maybe H-258?
trakloader Could very well be It has disapeared again so might not ever find out for sure. Will keep an eye out though
Be great to find out for sure, I am thinking H-258 or H-150.
Kennedy Lake Division, Shop Crew. Roger, Charlie, Bill, Keith, Bill. Not sure what year this is as I didn't make a note and it's not on the properties. Guessing about 1995.
Kelsey Bay Division 1991. The T-396 got bruised up again so an emergency replacement was constructed. Presented Monday morning in the marshaling yard.
That's hilarious! I wish I could have seen their faces!
Boulder Bill . M&B , Shawnigan Div.
I had the pleasure of meeting many of my co-workers from Sproat Lake Division last month - these were friends that I had not seen in 35 years, since the day I left the woods in 1982. The occasion was the life celebration for another friend from that time - Tom Russell. Tom passed away in early December at the age of 62. Tom ran Sparmatic and many other machines during his career. He and I would take flights from Port Alberni airport to the east coast on summer nights - the guy was a natural when it came to running machinery. I had the good fortune to meet my old Hooker - Tom Armich. Tom was a guy who carried a camera with him on many occasions. He has taken the effort to post many pics from these working years on his Facebook site. There is nothing like looking at pics of your first yarder (J-139) and crummy in lovely black and white from your first days on the rigging in 1976. He has approximately 239 pics on his site and I would suggest that anyone lurking here from those old M&B Sproat Lake days, go and spend some time looking through them. I've always wondered why there so few pics of that rather large logging division posted online. Someone mentioned here that many of the pics from the old days are in the hands of the union local office. They are not. Let's hope that the pics of old do resurface some day. Until this pictorial history resurfaces, the pics on Tom's Facebook page are there for all to see.
From the photos Lloyd gave me when he retired at the Franklin River shop. Didn't know where else to put them and just general information on what the American log loaders looked like before a conversion.
oold picture from a frend years a go
Wondering,who owned this truck in 2002?
who owned this truck in 2002?
Wouldn't it have been Weyerhaeuser who owned it in 2002? I can see the MB logo on the passenger door though"
HDX can answer that as well as Gary Cathers
old picture from years a go on vancouver island bc
H-28 H-31 from Copper Canyon. Murray Davidson got 31 new
Here is a picture of H94 I received from a co-worker who was working at Suncor in Ft Mac two years ago. I believe some of you out there know the guy that rebuilt it in Nanaimo, Hugh Frechette rebuilt that truck twice, once when it got wrecked and then the later rebuild when it got the new cab and square headlights.
Good picture of her in her new life....
Does any one know what Happened to H-264...macneil. Work with a fellow who drove it during the 70's .
Blkprince That was a Bob Hoar picture taken at Cameron /division It would have been heading back to the bush from China Creek DLS Bob use to sit along side the mainline between Museum and Corrigan ML to take pictures as they went by both loaded and empty H154 came over from Sproat lake division when they went more to Highway trucks and Franklin was still hauling on the long haul Carmannah This would have been under the weyco flag. It was common for people to peel the weyco decals off. Some trucks never had them put on!!!! We both know of one for sure. This truck was later sold by Hayes Forest There was a picture of her at the R/B auction all painted up in yellow But that was done after she was sold by HFS. H154 came from the factory with the BCFP style rear fenders. These were not common
MacMillan Bloedel trucks at M&G Higgins lumber, Bemont, Nova Scotia. Guessing early-mid 90's. Pictures courtesy of Mike Higgins.
HDX- am impressed with H-94 picture + box. You could handle that unit ! ! saf-t-dan
saf t dan Holy Cow Now that is a load!!! Although seeing her, kind of like seeing an old friend you have not seen for a long time. She looks well looked after, and I know she will serve them well for a long time to come. Those three trucks were WELL Different sums it up. As you probably know they came with air throttle's. I am interested to know if old H94 still has one or did it get converted ?
I could be wrong but it looks like a air valve sitting up top on the new engine.You can see the pot and the actuator arm..I should remember all this stuff....Its only been 35 years..
You are right Cory It is still air throttle. Maybe it is a Finning thing whereas they have to use it. I know when the three came new we were told it was to ensure that some driver did not jump into a COLD engine and just floor the throttle to build up air. Makes sense though. God I love those engines
I read some where that it was a Finning (warranty) thing for the exact reasons you said.Not a Pacific or M/B request.Its also sad that they had to detune her so much to match the Allison torque curve.....Hard to believe it has never been converted back to mechanical... And yes.....a lovely pc of iron she is.....
Another working girl discovered in Montana.
So I have a question for all you big truck buffs. I ran across a Facebook posting about a log trucks compensator broke and the dolly drove itself over the bank on a switch back pulling the truck with it. They were saying that if it didn’t have a turntable bunk and had a live bunk that the truck would have separated from the load and been fine. Do the big trucks of BC with their turntables have the live bunk feature where the bunk will separate if the load goes?
Back in my camp welding days any I had worked on, the bunk sat on what we called the cup & saucer with a split collar holding them on to a pin like an inverted king pin.
Would this inverted kingpin give way if the load was going over and let the bunk detach from the turntable?
There are 2 types of pin, the split collar like Tugger talked about and the "T" style. With the T style, you turned the bunk so that it was facing front to back and you were able to lift the bunk off of the truck. There was a corresponding slot cut in the bunk for the T to fit into. Most of the highway trucks that I have worked on all had the same style of bunk. As far as your question about the fat trucks, the bunks will not come off of the truck. The truck will keep the bunk on if it goes on its side. The thing about the Fat trucks is, they are so tuff that quit often all you need to do is put them back on their feet, maybe a new mirror and some minor damage, check fluids and such and away you go again. I was trying to find a picture that I could put a link to, but ran out of time.
That’s kinda what I figured but I have been hearing about the live bunk on the West Coast Log Truckers Facebook page and wondered if the fat trucks were similar. It’s crazy what the fat trucks can go through and survive. I would love to do a road trip around Vancouver island with the family but I let my passport expire and the wife and kids don’t have them either☹️ Thanks for the response to my inquiry everyone
Don't think Americans need a passport to get into Canada. Getting back home is another matter I believe. You could have to stay here. d.d.
That is true. Don’t want to take that risk with the fam though
This is what they are talking about Betelgeuse
Found this one some time ago and sort of forgot about it till I came across it. Where was she from??? Know all the Hayes's but not the Pacifics
Her ID Tag
HDX.....I can have the file pulled on this and we can see some data on her.....I don't ever remember screwing that tag to a dash with fricken Robertson screws...Usually riveted to the seat riser....
I never saw that before either diamondtguy BUT There it is for all the world to see now
That is not coming apart!
Looks like it says H275 on the door. If I am not mistaken, and I could be because it has been a long time, I believe it was a Kelsey Bay truck.
You are correct....It is H275 and it was a Kelsey Bay Truck...Interesting truck as it is a manual trans truck.Spicer 1263A main and a Spicer 1241CT aux.It also had BD 121,000 rears in it....12V71N for power.....I do remember the truck....... Info courtesy of Larry at Pacific Truck.
We had a few trucks set up with the same power/trans/rear-ends. Mix of KW and Pacific. Gear jammers, allison's, Detroit's, Cumins. Pretty much all had 121's. If I remember correctly, once again this is going back a spell, we upgraded the truck to a 13 speed and it might have even gotten one of the first DDEC's Silver 71's. Some of the other guys will have to pipe up and correct me if I am wrong. Jake Marsh drove it for years, pulled the low bed with it. I miss those days. Good trucks Good drivers Good shop Good company. We kept those trucks in good shape, Was a shame when they all got sold off. Sigh!
AH!!!The good old days, When a fire tanker was fully equipped and ready to go.. AND Everything actually WORKED
Oh yes. Back in the day we had 3 or 4 old fat trucks, they were sanders in the winter and fire trucks in the summer. We had another 3 or 4 slip on tankers that we could throw onto a fat truck in about 1/2 hour. If we were logging in a High fire hazard rating and not shut down yet, every friday night, the shop night shift would load the spare slip on tankers onto the designated trucks and fill them with water. Monday morning, day shift and the drivers would deal with getting them off. No big deal. Open the big gate valve, have coffee and then lift off with the moose. If we hit extreme and got shut down we would always have the spare slip on tanks loaded onto the trucks and full of water. The slip ons had pumps and tools right on them ready to go. So if there was a fire when we were shut down, everything was ready to go. There was also the fleet of light fire trucks out in the bush ready to use. They bought a whole fleet of brand new C-70's in 77-78 with new tanks on them. Fire was taken very serious back them. AND WE STILL HAD THE MARS!!! Now, I just don't know. But I am retired now and as my wife says. Someone else's circus Someone else's monkeys Okay, off my soapbox, rant over.
Clint, The old H289 showed up here in Alberni last week
More
more
more
more
last one 1968 HDX from Juskatla Division M&B
Looks like she has not missed to many bumps in the road of life. Steve, thanks for sharing the pictures of her.
I saw her a few years ago in Campbell River getting a new set of tires Jim, But then she disappeared. This is the first time she has surface since then. Sure are tough old blisters ,Aren't they??? The more I am around them the more I believe we are no different than them, We don't hold our air or bodily fluids very well anymore either!!!!
Wow, good old H289. I was up in Juskatla when that truck was newer, only a few years old. I have my dad's slides somewhere and in them is a picture of my mom sitting on the front of H290 with a great big jag of wood on it. Would have been 71 or 72. We moved up in 71, might have been that summer.
289 and 290 came together in 68 WW
Larry Matkovich from Campbell river owns her. Larry has a timber sale in the nahmint valley They where going to haul off highway into the log dump on the darlin main but I.T. Changed there minds and the wood went over the hump instead. That truck and Larry’s other off highway trucks have been up the coast out of tofino were they usually work.
Do you mean the old H289 Jamie???
We were hauling out of the back end of the Ditidaht Village when they were clearing out some timber to extend the land for more homes. We hauled this all the way from NitNat Lake to China Creek Dryland Sort
Those are quite the long logs Steve!
Came across this a number of years ago at CR Alltrucks Long gone now and never found out where it ended up Ex Port Hardy Truck I think
Very "Pointy" by the time we got to China Creek alright
Yes the old Hayes in sproat yard right now. I’ve been working for them and there plaining on spending some money on the truck and the low bed here to fix them up.
That is good news Jamie 1968 model, Old style big torque arms...
Here you go HDX
The picture 075 just posted was the P16 that I posted the other day with the cab on the ground Unit#H275 What a shame to see such a nice truck reduced to that. What would cause anybody to do such a thing like that??
This is how we were haulin g "Boom sticks out of the Carmannah in the late 70's
Ken Miller, The Truck Foreman and I had a number of talks about what we could do to make things work better This was one way. Worked pretty darn well I might add
This was my old WHD Hayes 1966 model H229 Had a V12 N GM engine with a 8 speed Clark auto Trans behind it 90'000 Clark planetary rear ends. And a Johnson Bar beside the shift tower. had 8 forward speeds and 8 reverse speeds 13 foot wide logging bunks and a 50 ton Hayes trailer Truck would do 48 MPH. I have to tell you, Things happen pretty darn fast at those speeds
Sometimes you eat the bear Sometimes the bear eats you!!! Never even put a scratch on her. Stood her back on her feet, Reloaded and off we went again, there was a bad lean in the road, got fixed shortly after this
22 Years old and driving these.. Loved this truck
My first regular truck 275 HP Rolls Royce engine
This was the Clark shift tower showing the Johnson bar beside the drivers seat
Great pictures Steve! What happened to H229?
I was only 18 when I started driving these.
HD Mech. Was a very sad thing. I went onto the H17 when she came in new and the 229 went to another driver . Then another and in pretty short order she ended up being cut up by Budget Steel in the Sarita Shop Yard along with a lot of other equipment. I had made a deal with the scrap guys to save at least the cab Next day early in the morning before they got there I had the cash for them and when I saw that they had run their loader fork right through the cab and destroyed it!!! Man was I Pi##ed off. I took the H17 and went over and backed into their fully loaded highway trailer, Loaded with scrap equipment and knocked it right off the landing gear... Now they were Pee'd off. Seems they had to bring another trailer all the way from Nanaimo and reload the entire thing onto it HHMM wonder what happened there???? LOL, Then knew but couldn't prove anything. So that was another sad ending.
how long did the static go on after that one?
It wasn't too bad petepilot, It was all good.. It happened from time to time to have a truck go over. There was a day out there that we had three trucks on their side within a couple hour period. Two of them were the smaller HD trucks and the third one was just like the H229 above. Was a Friday afternoon. H102 (Harry Cross) at the Bamfield Cutoff, down in Sarita..Too fast on corner The H210 (Terry Haugen)on BR 247 bad lean in road and the H198 (Jack Cote) right in Camp B yard, Drove off the road.. Today it would be distracted driving, because he was leaning out the drivers door window giving a couple other drivers the bird.. Man he sure showed them ,didn't he?
These days most young guys cant get a drivers licence before 20 with all the license BS. We were lucky for the oportunities in those days.
Aaww, that’s too bad HDX, would have been a nice piece to have. I guess there is a reason that some people are scrappies though. Just metal to them.
HDX I was talking to Norm Poirier at our races up here. He has some interesting stories lol
A 1966 WHDX Hayes at Cameron Division not long after the Division was opened and the new trucks were starting to arrive 4 WHDX Hayes with V12N engines and Clark 8 speed auto trans .There was 4 new P16 Pacifics also arriving at the same time All same spec's as the Hayes's
This was one of Cameron Divisions trucks A 1974 HDX PreLoad H89.. There was a new shop foreman arrived at Cameron and he decided that there was too many trucks and so he surplused two of them H88 and H89. Walter Miles ,down at Shawnigan Division snapped up the H89 and converted it to a Conventional truck. Eventually she was sold off and this is what she looked like a couple years ago. She still sports her original unit number H89. Original driver when she was new was Jim Miner
This was the sister truck to H89 . Driver Swen Josefson down in their winter show in Sarita 1976
H88 Taken a couple months ago. When she was first surplused along with H89, She was sent to Ritchie Bros over in Vancouver and sold to a Port Alberni Contractor. They later resold her to another contractor and this is her now. Usual cab decay and such but for the most part still intact
Sneak in another one of the old H229 Spruce logs being loaded down just off the Pachina Mainline in Sarita
H159 .. M&B at Franklin bought this truck. Driver Don Watt loved this thing. After some time it was painted in M&B red and white
H232 was a 1986 P16 Glider truck. Cameron Division needed two more trucks to replace a few older ones and decided to try the Glider trucks This PreLoad and a P16 Conventional truck arrived. H234 was the conventional truck...Al Horton got the H232 had the right up till he retired in 1989. Then she was sold to a contractor in Alberni here.. She would be destroyed in a bad accident. As for H234 She would be surplused and sold to Western Forest up on the north island. She is still up there
A line of some of the Cameron Trucks. First one is H232 then H91 then H25 and finally the H234. The H90 and H91 both sister trucks to the H88 and H89 would be sold to Hayes Forest and both cut up in the Franklin Shop yard. The H25 pictured here was a 850 KW PreLoad truck. Not a popular style preload compared to the Hayes style. Had to get out of the truck to load the trailer
H25 as a PreLoad
Steve how old is the oldest working trucks still there?? Thanks Hank R
An old friend from way down south, He just loved that truck
The H25 was parked because nobody wanted to drive her . the driver that was on her passed away and she was put to bed. when the engine in H17 was getting redone, I asked if they would throw a set of batteries in her and i took her for a while. Went out one saturday and steam cleaned her then went back out sunday with the spray gun and hooked up a air regulator and filter to the air system and did some fine tuning. This is how it turned out. then loading the trailer for work next morning
I think I saw this truck at the PNE or at the fall fair in Courtenay. Mack power if I remember correctly.
A little TLC goes a long way. Almost looked brand new!
H89 at Shawnigan Division after getting converted to a conventional truck. It is the set forward steering axle that always gives them away. Look at the distance between the steering tire and the bumper, then compare it with a conventional truck.
Picture just for refference
have to ask a dumb question, what would the average mileage be from load site to the drop site for one of those loads
Mr. HDX, can you explain the Johnson bar? I’m only familiar with that term in a Manitowoc crane, it is (was) used to control the torque converter on the early Vicon machines. Thank you very much, you are a wealth of knowledge, Will in the pnw.
Not a dumb question at all. That's what we are here for... Ask away. We haul from all over the place Sometimes we can get say three loads a day if we are what we call hauling short... That would be around 20 miles each way Then there is the other end of the scale where we get 1 maybe 1 1/2 loads a day hauling from as far out as 60 miles. A lot depends on how much adverse (UP-HILL) we have to pull. So sometimes we will get a short load ,Get dumped at the DryLand Sort and then head out for a long trip. sometimes we get back to Sarita with the load and sometimes we end up parking along the road loaded and pick the truck up again in the morning to get the load to the dryland sort. There have been a few "Cream Runs" where I have hauled 12 loads to the Sort in a day. But very rare and very close to the dryland..Those are the "Fun Ones". If we are hauling from the back end of the Roanne Way out at the end of Haddon Mainline all the way to Sarita and the roads are rough because the grader cant keep up, then it would be one load for that day. We try and keep as close to 100 meter loads as we can. That means about 100 tons per load. 1 Meter equals 1 ton or 2000 lbs. does this answer your question petepilot???
Thanks for the answer to a question I kept forgetting to ask...I noticed the different front axel locations but didn't clue in....I do like the look of the set forward front axel.
sure does i`d like to ride a round or two in one of those rigs but don`t see that happening .been in about everything else except running on a 300 foot deep frozen lake. thats not happening either
This is the shifter for the Clark that doesn't use the Johnson bar . You can only get into 4th gear in reverse which is plenty fast enough for most guys lol
This is also a replacement shifter gate, the original ones were chrome. They wore out the detentes and the arm from use and got sloppy and started to rattle as you drove,Not that you could hear it over the trans any way .And if you shift with the palm of your hand with fingers dangling it will bite ,Ask me how I know
I went for a ride in one of the kenworth’s at Port McNeill when I was about 5 or 6. I Didn’t have school so he took me to work with him. When the lowbed showed up he asked the driver if I could go for a ride. The driver was a super nice guy, he let me shift! So I guess I helped haul my Dad’s D8! I think my ears are still ringing though. Detroit’s weren’t called a buzzin dozen for nothing!
Thanks HDX for the explanation on the J bar, that makes sense. Also thanks 075 for the pic. I am stuck working several time zones away currently. Take care fellas!
It looks like H23 but it is H28. this was taken at the Shawnigan Division Shop Yard
The H70 nearing the end of her career
H61 was a 1973 model HDX In this picture she was 7 years old. She would sustain front end damage in an accident when the driver got out while the truck was being loaded and he left the trailer hand valve on instead of dynamiting it The valve came off and the truck rolled down the road and went into the ditch. Decision was made to scrap her.. Very sad way to end her career
Tight corners
H61
SOOO LOOONG AGO
This was a Northwest Bay Division truck H210 that Franklin picked up as surplus from them in 1972. We needed more trucks and this one and her sister ,the H208 both came up together Both these trucks had 8V71 N's and 4&4 trans Both were PreLoad trucks. Worked well but eventually they were reduced to other duties. The H210 would become the new Line Horse And H208 would be parked. When we started the PUP & Train program the H208 was restored to active duty again.. She would be converted into the Yard Truck for making up the pups and train loads. More pictures of those later....
This was Emmett Merediths loader for a long time. It was the one I hauled my first "Solo Load" from. Emmett would stay on her until the new American 7220 Heel Boom loaders came in 1972. The L50 would be taken over by another young guy Danny Williams. When he eventually got a newer loader, the L50 was surplused and sent to Copper Canyon Division. Lost track of her after that
With the right operator on these babies, They could get the old Murphy's to lift anything
These were in the Shawnigan Shop yard together. The H271 would sometime later be sent up to Juskatla Division in the QC Islands. She had a rebuild there and when they were converting over to the Highway Trucks, She became surplus. At Franklin we needed more trucks due to the long haul from Carmannah all the way to China Creek. She would be sent down to Franklin along with the H44 and H147 and H149 and a couple log loaders all on the same barge. H147 would be destroyed in an accident and H44 and H271 would end up in the Lamar stable along with a number of our other trucks when Weyco sold us off. H149 would be bought by Hayes Forest and they eventually sold her off to somebody in 2006 Have not been able to track her down ever since
HDX....in the early 80's we had a fairly new Mac Blo P-16 returned to us for a minor rebuild.Truck had a cab fire and some residual damage.We put a new cab on her and fixed her up like new...I certainly remember the smell....Does this ring any bells with you ???
A nice picture Steve!
Yes H22 from Eve River Division I think!!!
Great pictures Steve. Thank you for sharing them with us and lot of interesting information/history. Good to see H88 is back on track. Last time - Summer 2012 - when I saw her she seemed to be parked for good and used for spare parts. And she is still a preloader as H17. Not many left. Is H321 still going strong?
Hayesno1 Good to hear from you, Yes H88 had an engine installed and a 18 speed trans and did go back to work for a while. They bought an old Hayes preload trailer with 14 foot bunks from IPL to use behind her. She is back parked over there at the place you saw her last again now.. I am thinking that is because there is no wood for her to haul with the contractor he was using her with. They are using highway trucks now... As for H321 Well last I heard she was still hauling . They use her at different places. owner is Dorman Timber now
Drove up to Menzies Bay Division one day when we were shut down. Was a rain day for us. Good bunch of guys, Really liked their CL350 Macks.. Later a couple of these trucks would have a Challanger Cab installed to replace the aging ones they had.. Would give them a somewhat new life. Some of the others would end up having a P16 Cab installed on them. A couple of these trucks would have V12 Rolls Royce engines installed to replace the old V12 GM. I never really found out what the results of that upgrade resulted in... Copper Canyon division had one of these model trucks, Robbie Robson drove it. It would in time be sent up to join the Menzies Fleet because then ,they were all in one basket so to speak. After the weyco garage sale most of these trucks were scattered all over. Some as you have seen on here were parted out and some are still out there hauling.
The H437 in front and I just cant remember what the number of the rear truck was.. I will go through some pictures and see if I have another picture of her. The distinct front bumper markings tend to identify them. I wish I could have kept a closer eye on these trucks as they neared the end at Menzies Bay because they were very different and served their masters well. They like every other off highway truck had their followers and a mutual admiration society.
If you look close you can see where every Division of M&B had their own favorite tires. It was all about what worked best for their application
Donny Watt got this Challanger new and he LOVED IT!!! He did not like the yellow paint job however.. Hard to get away from the good old Red & White
He finally got her painted... As for what color look's better, Well you decide.
Red and White, without a doubt.
Always heard good things about the Mack trucks from those had the chance to drive them.
I dont know if this was the truck or not Diamondtguy. This one might have been fixed at the Eve River Division Shop. There was however another P16 that had a bad cab fire and that was a Cameron Division PreLoad H123 I think ... Will have to check and get back to you on that though. we had gone out that night and Vicki had her 35 MM camera Snapped a bunch of pics and when we got home THERE WAS NO FILM IN IT!!!! Win Some Lose Some.
This was one of our old 1968 WHDX's. She was an original Clark Trans truck. With all the new drivers learning to drive at this time, She still had that tranny in her ONLY long enough for one of them to almost melt the converter. The shop took her in and did a mini rebuild on her, removed the Clark and installed an Allison. Then re-numbered her from H282 to H23. She would be sold to a contractor up in the Courtenay area and never saw or heard about her again
HDX....I can remember being up on the back of the truck with the cab off doing something.....I don't remember it being a preloader tho...The pic of H22 looks about right....It was 35 years ago so I may be wrong...
Wish there was a way to edit these posts!!! After time runs out. Do you guys know if it can be done??
I have had no luck trying to edit my post once I leave...My edits are usually for grammar/spelling so I just end up leaving them....
Thank you for updates on H88 and H321. Sadly to see so many Hayes HDX are for sale and they will properly end up in The scrap yard. I think Forshner is selling his trucks as well...
It could be H435 but I have been wrong several times before. Why I guess it is H435 is the watertank with the curved iron on top making the sadle for the reach. HDX you are right about the distinct front bumper markings but I have seen pictures of the same truck with 2 different bumper markings which has confused me...
As I recall you have one hour to edit after you posted it first time. Then you can do nothing.
Driver Harry Cross with one of the CL350 Mack demonstrator trucks that went from Division to Division back when Mack was trying to introduce these trucks to the forest industry on the coast
The truck on the deck of the lowbed is the H109 and she blew a front diff while pushing the lowbed with a log loader on it. Was easier to just haul the truck back to the shop after the move than go to all the trouble of pulling axles and driveshafts
that looks like some rough sleddin
This was the old H97, A 1956 HD Hayes. When new she was loaded onto a rail flatcar and hauled down the the NitNat logging operation. There was already three other new HD's hauling out there H96 H98 and H99.There she would haul from the bush down to the Railroad Re-Load where the loads were lifted off the trucks and swung onto rail cars for the long journey all the way to Camp A on the Alberni Canal. There was no road from the NitNat to Franklin River Camp because Franklin was still all rail logging. We all drove these when we started out driving because the BIG trucks were all driven by the senior drivers. H97 would go on logging for a number more years, until she was eventually converted into a sand truck. It would be how she met her end. Was in an accident while sanding in Sarita. Going up the mountain and she slid over the bank backwards with a full load of sand.
Shawnigan Division Trucks
I kept this all this time, Was made by one of the guys down there back in the mid 70's
I see Expo 67 on the side.Is this the truck that now shows up at the Island truck shows..?????I also notice the square reaches and the interesting pipe work on the water tanks....
Nice photo, any idea what the shack was behind the H-97? I see a sign on it too. BTW, an ashtray like that almost makes a guy want to start smoking...
Looks like the trailer reload had some problems loading trailers . Hence the cab guards on the side of the water tank ?
Callingtheshop, Was the Powersaw Shop. This was still when Edd Jenson and Aubrey?? were in there Don't remember if Wally Mann was in there at that time with them or not. But the building was moved to make room for the new marshalling yard when Sarita was spilt away in late 1975. The building was dragged over to where the old car sheds were across the bridge in front of the office. The contractors would use it to store stuff in. MUCH later it would become the Cameron Division winter show marshalling yard While the contractors were in that area Henry Bergman bought the two Trucks from Griffiths.. The H98 and the H56. They were both parted out and cut up there. Was a shame because both those trucks were still OK. The H56 had been converted to a chunk truck. Remember, They installed two bunks on it and left the water tank on also. Made her very unstable with any long chunks. She did not last long before being surplused Then parted out
Would be because every driver had his own ideas as to what he wanted his bumper to look like. It was just something different drivers did back then Kim.. Gave each truck "Identity"
Yes your right Steve. On left side of hood I have seen drivers name. On #H443 "Ironriver Billy" and #H437 "Jimmy 2 Loads" Does anyone know the drivers?
#H437 and H438 at Menzies Bay in Summer 2000. They were parked behind shop.
#H435 shortly after it was delivered. Look how thin saddle irontubes are - allmost like on a small logging truck. Later on they were changed to a heavier construction. Sorry I can't flip the image 90 degrees
Here H437 side view - look closely and you can "Jimmy 2 Loads" at top of green hood. Second picture H443 in Menzies shop
#H438 as fire tanker, look how wide truck is - cab is 72" wide.
#H436 with lowbed. Rebuilt with a Challenger cab. She is now running for BenWest logging as unit #H6
Thanks Steve. Kind of remember it now and the names brought back old memories. Was it Aubrey Davidson?
It sure was.. How could I have forgot. Thanks for coming to the rescue S/F.. Going through some picture as we speak and trying to find some that will spark interest on here
Last summer while looking through some stuff, i came across some chrome letters I had stashed away long ago. Then as things happen, I thought Wow They might look kind of neat on the hood side panels of the 17. So out with the template material and cutting devises. YUP those babies will really look cool. Out with the old cordless drill and just start drilling... Got about 35 little holes drilled in each side panel and set the letters in place..AND THEN went and looked !!! What a awful sight that was.. Spent all winter looking at this disaster
So first thing this summer we had to make new ones. Did I mention that sheet aluminum is not cheap!!!
Well....Its spelt right,Its the right truck,none of the letters are backwards or upside down...So I am thinking you almost through the drill because after all that carefull planning and template work you stood back to admire your hours of work only to realize they are not centered to the handles and latches. Just saw the latest build pics.....Maybe I am wrong
At least it wasn’t crooked Steve! I see you are re-lettering the doors. Looks good! I do like the original badging myself though.
Almost back to normal It will be Red & White WITH the right door decals one day, But that is AFTER I make another set of hood panels as well as a new hood and a ton of other things that must be done. Will be sand blasted and painted properly. The reason I have held off is because she will get the 3408 back in her and nothing will fit anymore. Hood was chopped off 6 inches to allow the air to air device and Hayden oil cooler to be mounted in front of the rad. so they moved the rad back 6 inches and cut 3 inches off each end of the hood.. the shutters were turfed into the scrap bin down in Duncan long ago so I have been constantly looking for a new set. Then have to weld on a new right front plate that the front air cleaner hangs on because that is all gone also. Not an easy task ahead. The door decals were just an identity thing so to speak
Some more CL350 Pics from Menzies Bay Division
[/ATTACH]
more
last one
Ahh, memories.
H291 from Eve River ..Don' t know how it ended up at Menzies Bay ,but there she is
That is one VERY STRAIGHT HDX.
That’s H295. We put the water tank on it after it was retired from hauling logs. I believe the water tank had been on H294 I believe. The truck was used to water the sort deck at Eve since we didn’t have sprinklers in the deck. When Eve, Kelsey and Menzies amalgamated everything ended up at Menzies. I don’t think H295 has had much use since she left Eve River. Probably slowly getting parts taken off for other trucks.
Great to know what her real number is. Could the drivers door have been changed? Seems to me I took a picture of the plate on the drivers door and it was for the 291
Quite possible Steve, I never saw H291. It was before my time. I don’t remember a tag on the drivers door but it could have been there.
Anything happening to the old BCFP (246?) truck Steve?
Been puttering around with her, Doing stuff on her that does not really show, But none the less still tinkering. She is a pretty good old girl and I am not sure if she will eventually get the original Yellow paint job back or the Tri Color BCFP one. Not in a big rush though. She is out at the field of dreams with a number of the other old girls. We flash her up and keep the batteries up and fluids moving around. Wish there was more hours in a day.
From a long time ago, as most of you already know I don't throw ANYTHING AWAY LOL
This was loading under one of the Long Boom shovels. Taking the Right of Way out before the fallers came back and felled the entire setting. Paul Ethier was running the loader and his second loader was Lovett Lablanc... Long time ago but still a lot of good memories
Was moving this Grapple Yarder down to the Sarita Barge Ramp because it was being sent over to Sproat Lake Division to replace one of theirs that had expired. Picture was taken during the Weyco Reign because there is no decals on the H17 doors
A different machine being moved from Franklin to Cameron area, Kind of gives it a little scale with the operator standing beside it
Thanks for posting
Second Loader Dave Sneddon with a load of "Berries"
DiamondTGuy Moved a grapple yarder from Menzies Bay to Gold Rver through the Tsitika and Vernon the last couple of days. Lowbed Tractor was a WFP P16 formally Woss Canfor lowbed truck. Kept looking at the truck thinking it looked very familiar to me. I looked around the cab and in the corners you could still find RED PAINT. A sure give away, only ID I could find was on insurance papers and under ID# were these digits. 461671. Not sure if that would help you find out who she was originally. But she sure looks like H02 e. Eve River truck as new. I'm not 100% sure on that, but figured only one way to find out. I could ask the master mechanic for full serial number next time I'm around Woss. Just thought it was worth a try.. Thank you
I got the H02 in 1981 brand new, it was the first Pacific at Eve River.
The H22 was an Eve River truck from brand new, after the fire it was rebuilt bu our body man Wayne C. Not sure of the year?
Well Mr. K. It might be H22. It can’t be H11. HDX Informed me she was cut up. I don’t think it’s your old H57 and I think Harold’s 56 is in Lemare fleet. My guess is 02 or 22. But who knows. Might not even be an Eve truck. Just has that look. It’s old MB for sure
BTC H11 was sent to Franklin and there she was "Picked" apart As it turned out Hayes Forest ended up getting the remains of her and they rebuilt her. Being as she was a "121" truck She was sent up to Campbell River to Finning and sold out of there after HFS lost their contract at Franklin. This would have happened in Jan/Feb 2008. All the HFS trucks with 121 rear ends were sent up and sold through Finning up there. Sorry for the confusion about her
Thank you Steve
Picture from QCD in 92. On Datalmen main. Archie Stocker with a load.
A close up.
Don Ward heading to camp at the end of the day.
L11 loading at the south end QCD. 1992
N32 parked in the yard at Juskatla January 92. Bring back memories trakloader?
Heck, bringing back memories for me. I really need to get off my butt and scan my dad's slides and get some pictures onto this thread.
This off instagram today, heading for the scrap yard....
NO!
Yup, Wheeler Equip posted it.
Hallback,did you get yourself a small Skagit yarder?i do recall you were looking for one? Also did you find a line horse?
I have not found a line horse yet but we have the 94 slackliner, we have a West Coast Falcon and we have a Thunderbird tsy 155 swing yarder now also.
Very sad day yesterday for all who knew him. Our old friend Danny Brown passed away... Danny was a long time driver at Menzies Bay Division. His commitment to safety was all he talked about. He helped the company set up safety programs that are still used today. He would go on to help implement a drug and alcohol program at North Island that worked extremely well. I got to know Danny through our ties to old company trucks and we just hit it off. He got Ron Blunt and a number of us with old trucks to come up to a parade in Campbell River back in the early 90's.just so he could hang his banner on Ron's ex M&B Northwest Bay HD Hayes. It was to help promote the Hard Hat for the whole family program he was so proud of. He was just one of those guys who was M&B right through. His commitment to safety was what caught the attention of the entire Venus Family. That close bond would last for the rest of his life. We had some things in common that he would always laugh about.. Billy Marshall taught Danny how to drive truck and he used to always joke with me because Billy had a big hand in me getting to drive truck also. After he retired Danny would be all over the place keeping up with all that was going on on his trapline so to speak. Quick to phone me and check to see that all was well at Franklin,and to share whatever news he could find. He went to work at the Campbell River Museum as a volunteer, He became the caretaker of the 1932 Hayes Anderson Logging truck that the CR Museum has and with his close friend Mike Murphy, they would keep it running like a sewing machine. In 2003 after we were taken over by Hayes Forest Services, They wanted somebody to check out all the Franklin Drivers to ensure that they in fact would meet the high standards for safety that they had implemented. I gave Danny a call and he was down in a heartbeat. The guys all took to him right away. He rode with all the drivers to check them out and see if there was anything he could do to help. Hayes Forest was so impressed with his safety report ,they wanted him to keep working with them. I only wish i could put in words a little better how much we will all miss him. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family at this difficult time.
Very sad news indeed. I had met Danny a few times at safety meetings at Menzies and later when he was with the CR museum. A tireless champion of safety, the CR museum and local history. He will be missed. I echo your words HDX.
Couple more of Danny
Thank you very much for posting HDX, Very well said. Danny Brown was a considered an excellent truck driver by his fellow workers at Menzies Bay and an ultimate champion of safety. He was equally respected by the men he worked with as he was the men he worked for. The community of Campbell River has lost a lengendary member. He was a tireless volunteer after retirement and a man that was truly a pleasure to converse with. A true Gentleman and he truly will be missed.
Retired Hayes HD
Old H152 - last time I saw her she was parked with a lowbed and was for sale.
Sorry I Got #H152 mixed up with #H289. I have not seen #H152 before now, but I still think she is an old QCI truck.
H152 is definitely an ex QCI division truck. I remember her well.
I came across this retired old working girl in September 2019 near Wallace Idaho, not sure what the truck is, any ideas?
The upper is a P&H , a 215 i think. Looks like a piece of old time loggers creativity,i miss that.
I almost looks like an IH symbol on the front of the radiator.
It is an IH Western model. They were made at the end of WWII to 1949-50. Not many were made. Cab is an KW from the 40-50s.
An item ready to head to Fort Mac today.
Appears to be for a power shovel. What does it fit?
Looks like my old ford and this P&H bucket would fit into that one.
I'm working my way back through all 86 pages, but does anyone have good shots of crew trucks with the metal bush boxes on them? Were the Reidco Metal Industry boxes standard on crew trucks from like 1980 something until ??? I'll attach some photos to give an idea, but looking for more photos if possible. Wicked cool box, would love to have a knockoff built for my truck if possible.
Were the Reidco Metal Industry boxes standard on crew trucks from like 1980 something until ??? I'll attach some photos to give an idea, but looking for more photos if possible. Wicked cool box, would love to have a knockoff built for my truck if possible.[/QUOTE] Brutus Boxes made in Penticton, B.C. Here is a link: https://www.brutusbodies.com/okanagan-truck-bodies-boxes/ I'm not sure if I would call them a "knock-off, just a different builder.
At one time a company called Custom Engineering pretty much made all the crew boxes and pickup boxes on the coast. The crew boxes were like a section of school bus that was mounted on a cab and chassis. These were used by the tower crews on the rigging and fallers. The fallers used to have a small pickup box mounted behind the crew body for their gas and oil and saws, etc.
There are 4 or 5 Loggers with Brutus here in town, With the exchange on the dollar it would be affordable.
In my memory the original boxes were custom engineering. The outfit i worked for as the welder fab guy tasked me with loggerizing our pickups so we poached some of the Custom Eng Ideas and took my drawings to an outfit with good brake and shear capacity called Rebco up in Dashwood north end of Qualicum. We built a bunch of them as well as a few home projects . I still have one on my old 77 f250 parked in my bone yard at home. After that Rebco built 100s of them.Ill try and clear the alders and post pics of the 77. That was early to mid 80s . Ive had the 77 since new ,( a whole 8400.00 off the lot from Dave landon Ford in Port Hardy) With a canopy i might add.
I think Weldco had a box they sold for a while also.
I received this picture from my friend Jim, it is of a first or close to it of H 17, Picture is of his uncle Ted in the early 50's, trying to find out more information as to who is working on trailer and if Ted was the driver or ???
What might the purpose of the hose reel? To fill the brake water tank? At least it appears (to my failing eyes) to be a hose reel.
Your guess is as good as mine but also in case of a small fire just a guess . I am waiting for Family member to get back to me but they are away camping fishing and nor phone service so may be 7 to 10 days.
I bet it was for putting out a small fire. I saw that on a truck from another M&B division once.
Heard from Hank Suderman and he thought It is a 1952 LMSWL Mack. Still wondering if the Mack is the first H 17 or not.
Yes, This was the first H17 Great Central Lake, then became Sproat Lake Division, When this truck was retired, That unit number would not come up again until 1975
Are there many pictures of this truck around Steve??
A couple more have left us: VIC SAVITSKY (Sproat Lake) and JACK JAMES (Franklin River) both awesome men.
That is for a P&H 4100 boss electric shovel, we have 5 of those on the site I work at north of fort mcmurray
Eve River got H291 to H298 brand new in 1968-1969
They did have their own motor, to run the hydraulics to run the spinners, open the gates and raise the box. You had to work at them to keep them sanding. The top of the load would freeze and Chunks of frozen sand would block the gates. It was a challenge for sure.
This week I had to go to Port Alberni to cut up the steel and overhead cranes from the Sproat Lake shop. Just wondering if anyone had pictures from inside the shop from back in the day.
Sad to see.....
It was one of the nicest shops around. Its scorched earth policy for industry around here now. My old yard was a waterfront industrial site , now its a paved walkway with a bit of grass and trees. But im told the economic benefits of all this green space are enormous.???
Is Sproat done? Did they abandon operations in the area?
No they still log there ,but its mostly contract or more centralized company equipment.
Sad to see the days of security & pride gone.....
well said` covers a lot of ground
It absolutely does.
Nice restored Ford pickup truck at Hayes 100th Anniversary show
Here is an old Mack truck with a Hayes cab. The front windows are all most square compared to standard Hayes front windows. It looks odd. I think it is an old M&B truck from Sproat Lake division - HDX will know for sure. I have seen several B&W pictures of her - maybe here on HE or Hank Sudermans website.
This truck and a number of her sister trucks are all Mack LMSWL trucks 1949-1950 from Great Central Lake (Later became Sproat Lake Division) of MacMillan Bloedel. The problem with these model trucks was always the cabs, Would not stand up to the rough conditions they were used in and they tended to break up. The decision was made to send a number of them over to Hayes in Vancouver and they modified their Hayes cabs to fit these Mack trucks and this was the end result. Although this truck has been heavily modified over the years, The Mack 65,000 rear ends were replaced with 46-40 rear ends and the HD Hayes fenders but still retains the original rad and hood as well as fuel tank. I believe the original Mack Main trans is also still in her also
Thanks HDX - allways great with your wisdom/feedback.
Here is an old Hayes HD that has seen better days
#H34 Hayes HD logging truck with trailer and 3 correct bunks at the show
Fun to see this cab. I took a few pictures of #H188 with my son at the steering whell way back in 2000 at Tom Turners place when she sadly was scrapped/parted out View attachment 267745
Restoration of #H208 is going on - slowly but good for a modeller like me to see how the steering is. Good to see Ron again - I have not seen him for over 12 years or more, but his first remark was - “Well is it not Mr. Loeb - good to see you again” What a welcome to get.
Allways nice to see #H07
Old grader View attachment 269080
Old grader View attachment 269080
I have seen many pictures of this HD model but for the first time I saw her for real and wow - she is awsome and that colour make her very special
Euclid green. I like it. Jeff
MB Trailer Sighting - Came across this old Northwest Bay Division trailer with an MB logo behind a Mosaic tractor at the Co-op in Chemainus. This tri-axle trailer number is X95 and I was told by the truck driver that they also have a longer trailer X160 back at the Northwest Bay shops. Still working hauling pulp to Chambers chipper in Chemainus.
Heres H214 prior to her restoration by a friend of mine . She made it into my shop for the new grill guard and bumper . The green was the official M&B Powell River Co color