Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Logger labor pay?

coopers ยท 2008-01-22 20:31

Hey guys, So I was curious to know what (a rough estimate) a guy who is out there helping an excavator operator delimb trees, and cut them up to length, and possibly falling some trees would get paid? Is it any different (higher) than a general laborer's wage (so like $15/hr) because of the nature of the work? I'm just curious, I have a buddy who wants to help me do that stuff while I am on the excavator (all side work) and I am trying to figure out what I could suggest he charge or I guess, what I should put in the bid. Thanks, Blake WA

Replies6
  1. #1Dirtman20072008-01-22 21:11

    $12.00 and hour is what we pay our helper to do jobs like chainsaw, mixing concrete, and running the skid steer. Does not complain about anything just a happay as he could be, sure does make for better days when everyone gets along good and can joke and have fun. Did I mention that he is 65 yrs old, 3 times my age! Not many people willing to do that these things just to get out of the house and have fun...

  2. #2dirtwhore2008-01-23 08:39

    It all depends on wether or not the man is using his own equipment, (saw, gas, tape, chaps, etc.) or using yours. Most landing sawyers and chasers I know make anywhere from 15 to 18 bucks an hour, using the employers equipment. Most cutters out in the brush, make a day wage, usally no less than 250 a day for 6 hours. They all use thier own stuff though. Your in the ball park on a wage though. Jason

  3. #3Copenhagen2008-01-23 14:42

    Just talk with your buddy and find out what he thinks would be fair. Thats how I do things when my frinds want some temp work. If they are way off, either high or low, I tell them. I dont make a lot of profit off of my friends when they come to work for me. I would just feel too guilty if I did.

  4. #4coopers2008-01-23 14:45

    Okay, thanks guys! I was thinking I was near the ball park for his wage. I actually suggested $18/hr because he would be using his own equipment...and he was fine with that. Thanks again, Blake WA

  5. #572V2008-01-25 18:23

    The reason I don't work in the woods anymore was the driving. You need to factor that into whatever wage is offered. You might get paid $18 an hour, but add in two hours or more of unpaid travel time at each end of the day and it gets old fast. If you work close to home most of the time, then that may not be as much an issue for you as it was for me.

  6. #6coopers2008-01-25 21:31

    Well funny you mention that, my buddy who I'd pay to do this is about 45 min. north of me, and all my jobs will be generally in my county, which can mean 45min for him up to 1.5 hrs or so. Blake WA