I saw this video made in the 1940's cutting Redwood trees off spring boards. All the way up to the saw mill. Lots of good old hard labor back then. Lowering the loaded rail car by cable, to the a train. Had wondered how they got a big log down to where a train could operate. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qb_YNZn_kaQ
good vid, thanks for sharing
That's incredible. I can't imagine hacking away at a tree that big with an axe suspended by a belt. I don't know too many people would even think of working that hard at something these days.
Very cool, thanks for sharing ! Its videos like this I like to watch when I feel tired or like I worked my butt off but then realize its nothing compared to what these guys did for a living and for what they probably got paid !!!
I wouldn't swing on a 20" let alone a 20'... Man have things changed!
awesome find thanks for sharing pj
http://www.folkstreams.net/film,132 Here is another one that was filmed in the 1930's on the Machias River in Washington County, ME. My great-great-uncle is actually one of the people being interviewed in this film too, Frank Dowling.
Awesome video, Thanks for sharing.
Very cool stuff.
They showed just a glimpse of either a Lidgerwood or a Willamette loading boom at one point. Would have loved to see more of that beast.
Thanks for sharing the video it was quite interesting, and very enjoyable to watch.
There's another video on YouTube about headrick logging.probably in the 50-60 era.cat logging in orick,ca can't remember exactly what the name of it was but I found it by looking for headrick logging.definetly worth a look
thanks hoechucker! I put in headrick logging you tube and got it. Great video.