Hi all I have a question on my 1986 cat 416 backhoe: it’s got a long crank time and keeps testing the batteries because of this. I must say that I don’t run this much and I have had it start after sitting for a long time and it started right up. Most of the starting times have been cranking for a while. If I give it a shot of ether it starts right away and idles with no issues. I can only assume it is loosing its prime? Does that make sense and if so is there some seals that potentially need to be replaced? It’s so weird that it sat all winter and when it was probably 60 out and it started right up. Ty it has one of those ether cylinders that I could get for it. I don’t know where to cycle it because I can’t read or see the symbol because all the spring loaded switches are faded. Ty
Could be loss of prime. If it starts right up with a tiny shot of ether isn't too bad as long it is only about a 1 second shot. Best to spray ether when cranking.
Start checking your fuel hoses for cracks
I picked up a starter button so I can do just that thx.
Check the rubber fuel grommets also does it spin fast enough sometimes when those pumps get wear they want pop the injectors at cranking rpms hence the starting fluid. Try pumping the primer pump while somebody cranks and see if that has any affect.
So I can’t read all the buttons so which one is it? Yes it cranks over good. If I give it a tiny shot of ether it starts immediately and idles good.
Thought this thread was going somewhere totally different.
Care to share?
Title... Use your imagination-never mind.
Pump the hand primer before cranking.. If it starts up, u have a weak supply pump.
There is a screen under the top of the transfer pump