I have a 1990 Case 580K 4WD. Front axle leaking gear oil where the front driveshaft enters the differential housing. See attached photos. I'm assuming it's the input pinion seal. Has anyone replaced this seal? Any tips on replacement...particularly around removing the drive shaft - i've read it can be tricky Thx
Best bet get the front wheels off the ground. Put a couple axles stands under the front axle. Lift the back tires off the ground with stabilizers. Remove the drive shaft guard this makes removing the drive shaft a lot easier. The flange on the front pinion has a retaining bolt. Loosen or remove this bolt, use a chisel in the slot tap it in to loosen it from the pinion shaft. Looks like yours has the older style bolt in seal housing. I'm sure on these older ones you can just remove the seal from the front and press the new seal in. We always put some black electrical take over the splines so it didn't cut the seal.