Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Long Island Members: Cow Bay Sand

Steve Frazier ยท 2022-05-27 07:14

I manage the maintenance department for a local municipality in Dutchess County, NY and am in need of Cow Bay sand for our volleyball courts. I'm having a lot of difficulty findings a source for it. I'd be willing to hire a truck to haul a load or two to me if anyone here does that work or can refer me to someone who does. I also might be able to send a local trucker out to a mine to bring back a load but I haven't been able to find an active mine listed on Google. If you have general information on this to share, please post here, anything specific please contact me through Private Message. Thank you!!

Replies3
  1. #1The Peej2022-05-27 08:01

    I have never heard of cow bay sand but I'm next door to you in Brewster NY. If your looking for a trucking company I have had good luck with MJD in Pawling. https://www.truckdrivingjobs.com/companies/54c2b5769dc5d71cc7c381f1

  2. #2crane operator2022-05-27 17:33

    https://riversandinc.com/sand/volleyball-sand/ https://www.avca.org/res/uploads/media/Sand-Court-Facilities.pdf https://www.avca.org/res/uploads/media/FIVBSpecificsSand.pdf Looks like you need to start with someone who is dredging/ screening sand. The pro specs just mention size / shape etc. Are you sure the name isn't something that's spelled differently but sounds like "cows bay?" Maybe "coos bay" oregon or something? They brought in a lot of fancy sand here locally from florida for a golf course, and I don't know that it didn't come from the keys or a bahama island. They really aren't "mining" the sand so much as dredging or digging up a old river bend. We don't have any sand locally to me, its all trucked in for our local concrete plants. Looks like the pro specs don't want any kind of crushed aggregate and want rounded river sand. No foot damage that way.

  3. #3Steve Frazier2022-05-27 20:42

    Cow Bay is an area of Long Island and is about 90 minutes from me. There used to be a sand mine there that supplied NYC and Westchester County with sand for years and years but from my research has seemed to have been retired. Most of Long Island is beach sand and I'm hoping there are still mines in operation out there. The sand local to me packs almost instantly and isn't suitable. There's no way I can afford to pay the freight on sand from the southern US, I'm cringing at what it will cost to come from Long Island!!