Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Long reach Excavator

95zIV ยท 2007-09-19 21:20

Took these around Glade, Washington, just north of Pasco.

Replies12
  1. #195zIV2007-09-19 21:22

    And some more

  2. #2tylermckee2007-09-20 01:29

    What are they doing?

  3. #3nedly052007-09-20 05:20

    That machine doesnt appear to have any extra counterweight? How do they do that with the long reach. Must have a small bucket

  4. #4EZ TRBO2007-09-20 06:49

    The machine in the photos is a Link Belt 240X2. I would have to look at the numbers to get exact info on them but it is a 240X2 with a lil beefing up in the bushing, swing housing, linkeage, etc. Belive a 60 inch cleanout bucket is the largest they recomend. It is rated at a 60' reach. I was lucky enough to run not only the first one but the second one as well that came into the state of Wisconsin. Put 40 hours on the first one and 160 on the second. I'll get some pics on here when I have bit more time to re-size. Trbo

  5. #5EZ TRBO2007-09-21 06:29

    Here are a few pics of the first long reach I ran early this spring, had a bout a 3 acre pond to dig 4 feet of silt out of, could reach the entire pond from both sides with ease with this machine. I'll get some pics of the 312 CAT from the first try on this project. Trbo

  6. #6Truckie2007-09-21 21:16

    Nice pictures. I run a Link Belt 240LX daily with a Labounty shear on it. The shear is a MSD 1000 Saber. Here is some more info on the Link Belt 240 long reach, along with a Adobe down load . Hope this info helps and answers any questions on the long reach. http://www.lbxco.com/240LXLF.asp http://www.lbxco.com/Specs/240LXLF.pdf

  7. #7Dirtman20072007-10-01 19:13

    only 4 feet of mud? Should have took a regular excavator out there as long as there was no water. Just dig the mud out in front of you and move on. Lay a few logs down under the tracks and you will float right over thoses really wet areas.

  8. #895zIV2007-10-01 20:15

    All of the post should be read Dirtman did you read the whole post? If I read the post right I believe he already tried that I'm not sure what kinda mud you deal with but 4 feet of mud isn't something that I would want to try to deal with with a machine that had to get into it and move it. Even if that was a choice using a regular excavator to move that much mud just means either holes to corral the material or waves of it coming in over the tracks and undercarriage.

  9. #9Dirtman20072007-10-01 20:29

    I'll post some pics on the next pond job we get. Not uncommon for us to be in 3-4 feet of mud with a 25 ton machine. As long as you can see about an inch or two of the top of the track you will be fine. Just takes an operator who knows what he is doing. We have had jobs where the mud was 10 feet deep and will still take the regualar excavators out there. We have 8x10 wooden mats we put under the tracks to help float. logs work fine to if you have them. It will keep you on your toes though. Some people call us crazy for going into the places we go. And yes, we have got the excavators stuck before

  10. #10Wolf2007-10-01 20:38

    Wow, Chris, that is pretty aggressive. Ever have trouble getting the hoes out from stuck in the mud?

  11. #11Dirtman20072007-10-01 21:07

    Here's the story. We had the new volvo EC 210 less than 6 months before my grandfather got it stuck BIG TIME. I left the jobsite to go get some fuel and returned to hear the noise of a machine struggling. I thought what I the world was he doing?. I walked thru the trees and found the excavator buried all the way to the top of the counterweight. Thats 7' DEEP! The cab had about 8 inches of mud on the floor. and it was still sinking. I call my Uncle ( the boss) and said we were going to need some help fast, but he was at least3 hours away. This was at about 2:00pm so we needed something fast. One of my grandpas friend just happened to have his Kobelco 210 excavator at his farm, so we sent the lowboy driver off to get it. About 2 hrs later it arrived and we began to dig our way to the machine. I got in the volvo and my grandpa was on the kobelco digging the mud away from the front of the machine. Finally after craming about a dozen trees under the machine it was free. On the way out the kobelco became buried up to the counter weight also. After I freed that machine, I drug the volvo to the bank of the pond onto dry land. What a day that was!! It was about 7:00 pm then and time to go home. Luckely the only damages were the bottom windsheild got busted out and the right pannel door was bent in a little. Took One hole day with a 3" pump to wash all the mud out of the insideof the cab and inside the engine compartment. Know we use 8'x10' wooden mats for those wet areas

  12. #12EZ TRBO2007-10-01 22:56

    Well I was all for doing this, and I did just that, dewatered the pond, best we could as we were dealing with the river water table as well(this pond is a cutoff of an old creek, was cut off years ago when the railroad came through, so lots of springs and such still in it). I got about a 1/4 of the pond dug out in 3 days with the 312 CAT, but after finding some blue clay under the old rock bed I wasn't about to go back in. I had to bail about 3 times with the 312 and the last day in was all but stuck. I myself am not afraid to take an excavator anywhere, and I am sure I could have finished the job, but would have taken alot more time and $$$$ and had to have a dozer to push it away once I got it on the bank, with the long reach all I had to do dig and dump. 3 days and the entire thing, and a few other spots DONE. If I get my Darn scanner working I will get some pics of the 312 on here. Trbo