Why don't you see this being done? Engines not strong enough, not enough hydraulics behind it? A 15ton machine with a 35' reach would be pretty slick to me. I would think they would be a popular seller. Also, do they make like a medium reach option for the 20ton units? Just curious, more times than not you only see it on 25+ton machines pushing 50-60'. Thinking and:drinkup usually leads to some point of ponder. Looks like it's time to get the gloves out, spose to be pushing -40 degrees windchill up her next few days.
Good day Sir Your question is not unusual having worked in the technical Department for a number of years I will attempt to give you a short answer, the limit to both reach and capacity revolves around the tipping point and the hydraulic power. Not many customers are willing or able to pay a premium for extra power, manufacturers follow market demands. A small machine with long reach has a very small bucket capacity - slow cycle times - equipment (boom & arm) subject to high risk of failure - in view of the for mentioned manufactures are less than happy to produce machines in the format in your question. Machines with increased risk of tipping present a serious safety issue. I hope this may give a better understanding to long reach machines. Kind regards Uffex
Sure does uffex. Still too bad it isn't feasable to put a Long Long Carriage under it and have that option. Thanks for the info.
Land and Water here in the UK have plenty of long reach low weight machines. They don't have that large a bucket, but for the right job they are very good. Here's a link http://www.land-water.co.uk/group-services/plant-hire-2/long-reach/zx-70-10m-long-reach Graham
I have seen plenty of 20 tonners set up at long reaches they just add extra weight to counter weight and they usually end up running a 12tonner bucket size. saw a PC160 also set up as a long reach also a LC model
Uffex explained very well about the question, we will not suggest client to do that ,but if they insist ,we will produce long reach boom arm and set up for him , the risk is the service life of excavator may shorten.
So Larryice you are saying you sell a product that you know will kill the machine and you are warning your customers away from using your products to start with?? must be flat out with orders mate if that is the case. lol
I think service is important for us as we want to do long term business . Client may not know well the condition of his machine , we will think on behalf of client to find out a most suitable products . Also the long reach will not kiil the machine at once As Graham said ,for the right jon they are very good .
I have a Cat E 140b with a 45' reach. It has an extra counter weight on the back. Small bucket to be sure, slow hoist when its slap full. Tippy? yes but I run mine on a 24X40X4 sectional barge and it gets the job done. This is a grey market machine, but parts are available. Everyone round here wants to rent it but I never do, I think a inexperienced operator could flip on flat ground pretty easily.
Seems like more foreign applications. Is that due to numerous height, weight, length restrictions? I guess the being more tippy part makes sense and most owners don't want just any joe shmoe running something like that. I guess having a standard boom and stick is sometimes a safe insurance in itself. On a side note..has anyone ever made a scaffolding set up to attach to where your bucket would be. I had that idea..sounds good at first..definately dangerous..but a body harness would be a must, along with somebody you really like and trust running the trackhoe. Anybody with pictures or video by chance. Thanks, From Frozen ND
Good day folks My response was related to the original question which was why this is not "offered my manufactures". Im sure there are applications which are suited to the format however the real question is that of back up and support. Many outfits produce long reach equipment but they become rather elusive when problem occur, users whom support the machines by there own resources may well find a slot in the market. Standard back hoe machines go through a long development program supported by high sales volume, those same condition regretfully does not apply to long reach machines Kind regards Uffex
I don't know of any dealers or manufacturers in this country that will warrant failures to long reach fronts. Young makes them for most manufacturers and writes in lots of legalize limiting any liability and providing plenty of codicils for reasons they can't be held responsible for the operation of long reach excavators. I have put the fronts on a few gray market excavators and seen the damage done to those machines by flat stupid operators. For cleaning loose material out of confined spaces they provide a great alternative to draining the water and using conventional equipment. Where the stupidity comes in is when an idiot decides they can dig compacted material or scrape walls with one side of the bucket. Lots of repair welding and doubler plates are seen on used units.
I have been in the bucket of my machine with a chain saw and I would never do it again! A scaffold or cage and body harness would not convince me to do it again either. I have an old man lift trailer thing with 45' of reach and a always crooked bucket, if the job requires me to go higher than 30' i rent a brand new man lift. If you are not comfortable in the scaffold,cage,bucket,whatever, you wont get any work done. Even if its just changing a light bulb.
Still working on posting pics but here is a video http://youtu.be/LFazCWlzUQk . It is a little shaky copper wire camera mount.
I wouldn't be too thrilled at gettin' in the bucket either. There's gotta be somebody who's got brave and took some pics though. Nice video.
here's a Doosan 140 with a long reach conversion by Kureck
Is is possible to have a long boom, but just have a regular stick? Would that keep it from being less tippy or would that combo not function very easy? You would gain some reach but be a lot less strain than if it were a full long reach.
If you only need long reach sometimes I use a second dipper to get another three meters reach. On a Cat 320 I don't have any problems grading with no extra counter weight. Graham
Found a picture of second dipper in action on a Cat 312
Some times you just need some more counterweight, like maybe a boat anchor.
It amazes me that someone would go to all the expense of having a long reach front end fitted then then do that. If it turned up on most jobs here in the UK I'm sure the site agent would take one look and turn them away.
:drinkup That anchor would go over well at the marina I'm dredging. That is a bit classier than the boxes of sand on the fenders of my Drott 40.
Well on the up side....he got it painted so it wouldn't be so tacky....downside is that he couldn't afford the black stripe to make it un-noticable. +1 for recycling things laying around the yard
This is our 200-3 with 48' of working reach.
First one's a 210 Komatsu,others are 130 Hitachi,at max reach 575kg capability,of which quick hitch took up 238kg!
Then we put 1m extension on it:Banghead