Dug up a two headed monster that wouldn't come out of the hole. I gave up and rolled it on it's side and buried it. Will this come back to haunt me and create a hole later?
I've buried tree roots on my property about 20 years ago. Some of them have created small sink holes and some not. The worst place to bury routes in near a water well. Can contaminated the water with bacteria.
I've seen people bury stumps and slash, sometimes they just dig a hole and fill it then cover with a foot or so of dirt... other times I seen em' dig a big hole and roll a large stump upside down and cover with a skim cote of dirt... personally I think it's a bad idea that will come back and bite someone later - like when they turn it to pasture and put live stock on it and they get leg breaking sinkholes! but it is a cheap way to get rid of stuff when you can't burn it.
Perhaps not you but it will bite someone. If just left on the surface it will rot faster than buried.
Later than sooner, you'll have a sinkhole. Ed
I have a property that was logged off in 1952 an the stumps left behind are still pretty solid. I would recommend not burying any of it and stack kit to burn or haul away. Anything you bury will come back to haunt you years from now,,,
Or just leave them out and let them rot. I have a hole that is open, I throw stumps in there and they rot in 5 years or less. Of course these are pine stumps and not hardwood. Once the bacteria is on the stump it pretty much speeds the process. That and insects love these things. When they're buried.. takes a long time I think. Best way would be to grind them out or chip them.
Depends on where it's buried, what you're going to use the section of property for and the depth. If it's buried deep (6' or more) it takes forever to rot, depending on soil conditions. Undercut a building pad once and at 15' dug out popular trees that were buried at least 40 years ago and it still had the bark on the log.
I just pulled out some 3' thick, 25' long hickory logs, underground for 20 years plus, about 3' down, and half rotted. Then, on other jobs, we have been shut down when we found buried stump dumps with sour gas concerns. On the other hand, if you have ground that is going to lay fallow for a long time, why not? Howard
Want problems, bury tires...OMG...
Thanks for the input! I forgot to mention this IS a pine so I was not feeling good about covering it up. I will dig it back up and try pulling it out with a chain or something. It amazes me that this backhoe has the power to pull the 15,000 lb machine into a hole if you aren't careful but can't pull a friggin big stump out without straining.