This may be a silly question, but I've been pondering it for a little while. Currently I don't own a welding machine for my truck. I've had more and more guys ask me about doing welding work, and the only place I can find around me to rent a machine is sunbelt and by the time I rent the machine, leads, stinger, and ground clamp (yes they charge separately for each one) it can get to be pretty steep. Given that all the used machines I've come across around here are still pretty dang high and In 12 months I'll be done with my bachelors and (hopefully) won't be turning wrenches anymore, I don't want to sink a bunch of money into owning a welder that I'm gonna end up having to turn around and sell just down the road. Does anybody know of a company preferably in the KS MO OK area that does long term leases on welders? I'm looking for a bobcat or comparable.
If you truly have an interest & talent for welding my advice would be to purchase new when time allows . Miller Bobcat would be a good choice . https://www.millerwelds.com/equipment/welders/engine-driven/bobcat-250-engine-driven-welder Pretty safe investment if you know what to do with it , like having a money machine in the back of the truck .
Buy a well equipped / optioned machine. You will be money ahead.
Just some ideas: https://seks.craigslist.org/grd/5534946545.html https://seks.craigslist.org/tls/5522017399.html https://seks.craigslist.org/grd/5506170701.html Buy used and then sell for a profit if possible.
I'm in Oregon and it's been a long time, but the welding stores around here, Airgas and others, would usually sell you a welder package if your credit is anywhere near decent on a 12 month payment plan. You might inquire, this is probably the best way to go as the payments will probably be less than renting/leasing and you will either own a welder for your own use or have something of value to sell when you're done with it. Or there are leasing companies, but beware you will pay for whatever you lease at least twice and once you sign you can't get out of the lease or pay it off without paying the full term. Equipment leasing is for companies that are in dire need of equipment but can't qualify for a normal loan usually.
You might consider buying a machine with the intent to keep it. A good welder will make more than a BA degree (trust me, I have both a BA and a Grad degree and work for the state DOT). You could most likely make more welding on the weekends than 5 days in an office. Just a thought.
When the OP said he would get his degree in a year I was thinking the same thing as you. Getting out of college is only the start. You still need experiance and prove yourself. Unfortunately most educators have never worked in the real world and have no life lessons to teach. They can only teach what they have learned in class.
That sounds like a good idea . :thumbsup Bought my first new gas drive welder back in 1991 . Looked at the machine & liked it then went to local bank to borrow money for it . Things are a little different now as stores are pushing product & credit deals . Something to look in to for sure .
I appreciate the advice, I guess I was hoping to avoid having to try and sell a big ticket item come graduation time. I may end up buying one at the tail end of the summer, depending on customer workload in the fall. I guess worst case scenario I got a hell of a welder and a generator to boot. Sure do wish I could have brought my 5500 with crane and welder to Kansas with me
If you are looking for a stick welder, a Hobart Champion isn't a bad choice. Around here, southern Ohio, Rural King and Tractor Supply sell them reasonably priced. This might be another thread, but has anyone here used a Zena welder? I think it looks like a pretty sweet rig.