On my way from work this morning I went past Our local historical clubs ground which I had never been to. Which was have a rally, There where not alot of earth movers there but They do have some cool stuff here is pic I took of a Scraper I hope you enjoy
nice photos where was the rally?
The rally was at the Heritage park at piparma on the gold coast just of the free way
Awesome! Where all the toggle switches in place? I sure am glad that hydros overcame electros as a main function on scrappers. Jason
Hi Oversize ,I was just looking at photos of this on the historic commercial vehicle club forum .Mainly old truck photos but there was one of this old girl . ian .
Oversize - Is that Phil Gowenlock's preserved C Tournapull ? I see it has a GM 6-71 in it (Joy !) JTL - Those old girls don't have toggle switches, they steer like a track type tractor with clutches & brakes and are not for the faint hearted !! ointhead
I have heard of those, but never got the pleasure (or displeasure) of running one. I would like to try it out, but spending all day on it would not make you look forward to going to work. I bet high speed turns were interesting in them.
All that fun for Average U.S wages per year $4,000.00 1953 was a busy year. http://www.thepeoplehistory.com/1953.html Still had to be better than what it replaced?
Cool old scraper where were they built
WabcoMan, You are right about no switches and going down hill under compression you had to cross friction them just like a cat and scraper. I never ran one but I have pushed lots of them with a hard deck RD8 when working for a land leveling company.
Hi DozerDave, Yep, they're sure fun to work. You always had to be on your toes when operating one otherwise you'd end up in a heap of trouble as they would jacknife real easy. I've seen a couple of them with hydraulic cylinders on them to act as snubbers to prevent the jacknifing. Don't know how well it worked though as I've never been on one of the modified ones. They are sure a collectors item now.
And it looks like she's for sale: http://www.constructionhub.com.au/DesktopDefault.aspx?ItemID=3094665&TabID=3427
Sorry I could not get back to answerer your question been flat out at work, I seems most of them have been answered by others,
It appears it is
I never ran one, I think you had to cross friction going downhill like a crawler. Found this by accident, to bad he's not loading though. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rvx6AcwTn5M&NR=1
When I was a kid in the 50's I would go to work with my Dad and the job site had 3 or 4 Super C's and had to be push started I was run them as Dad Pushed them off, the steering levers were two for each wheel, one was the brake and the other was the clutch. The brakes never worked and clutch levers snapped forward or back you slowed down some and reved the engine to help turn, and these were powered by cummins
The Super C in post # 15 is sitting along side of the road most days. US Rt. 19 North, exit 15 off I-80 in western Pa. Mercer, Pa. north on 19, 15 miles, right hand side, it and an older Cat dozer. :usa:drinkup Bob
I saw that sitting along the road this summer when i was working up rt19. drove by everyday for a week. never got a chance to stop and check it out up close.