Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

looking after what you’ve got

cuttin edge · 2020-01-18 11:30

I'm not talking machinery. I've seen discussions about workboots, but what about socks? I buy boots every 2 or 3 years. The smell is always the killer. I've tried all the regular stuff, odor eaters, powders, sprays..... I once payed $50 bucks for a pair of moisture wicking socks. they worked until you washed them. My father used to wear the old grey wool work socks with a thin sock under them. I have heard guys say two pair of socks are the way to go. Any thoughts?

Replies32
  1. #1Ronsii2020-01-18 11:32

    First thought that comes to mind is How in the wide world of sports do you get a pair of boots to last 3 years!!!!!!! I have tried the grey wool and like em' but found you need to upsize the boot a bit.

  2. #2cuttin edge2020-01-18 11:39

    My season only lasts from the middle of May until the end of November. Anytime after that the skidoo boots come out

  3. #3partsandservice2020-01-18 11:43

    Lay your boots on their side every evening and they dry out so much easier.

  4. #4JD955SC2020-01-18 11:59

    Get a boot dryer

  5. #5Don.S2020-01-18 11:59

    I get a year out of my boots. I only use them in the winter when in the shop or driving stuff other then that its winter boots. Get a new pair in the fall and mink oil them to help with the salt and water over the winter then in the spring i oil them again to help with the cement dust. Last year i got a boot dryer for Christmas from the wife and it changed my life. Putting on dry boots every morning makes life somewhat better. Also i boots use to stink but i tried dehydral on my feet for a while and they dont smell anymore but did nothing for the wetness.

  6. #6Junkyard2020-01-18 12:31

    Keeping them dry helps a bunch, having an extra pair to rotate between the two also seems to help. I’m close to 3 years on one pair of Thorogoods but they’re getting close to needing some stitching replaced and could use a re-sole. I keep mine oiled up and try to keep the crud off of them so the stitches don’t rot etc. In my backpacking days we used a very light moisture wicking sock and good ole wool over them. I’ve tried many socks. The ones that lasted the longest, to the point there wasn’t any elastic left, were New Balance. Expensive but I never wore a single heel out of them. They wick moisture well. I’ve got some NB socks that are older than my boys! My second favorite are from Walmart but I don’t see them all the time. They’re a Russell brand Dri Power 360. Fit awesome, reasonable price but the heels only make it about 9-12 months. Haven’t had much in the way of odor issues but in the summer there’s a powder I like to use to help with hot spots, maybe that’s part of it? Also I change my inserts often and give things a chance to air out as much as I can.

  7. #7cuttin edge2020-01-18 13:04

    the powder does nothing for my feet, but I used to use corn starch for chaffing (not on my feet) on the real hot days. Once I switched to boxers, never had an issue. I do have a boot dryer, but never considered using it that way. Mostly used it in winter or rain days.

  8. #8wornout wrench2020-01-18 14:14

    I wore a pair of wigwam sock liners and a pair of good wool socks every day of the year. I got the highest wool content I could find, tried for at least 90%. They would wear out faster but were good. Clean socks every day and the boot drier. I wore Redwing boots and would treat with their treatment. I bought the lined with gortex. I would take the toes off if I didn't put a toe cap or something on and the best I could do was 2 years, but they got worn every work day.

  9. #9check2020-01-18 15:54

    I have always had stinky sweaty feet. As stated by others: WOOL. Wool socks take 3 times as long to get stinky compared to cotton/polyester. Own several pairs of boots so they have plenty of time to dry out.

  10. #10DMiller2020-01-18 17:09

    My feet sweat like they were meant to leak water for irrigation, boots lasted about 1-1 1/2 years at the power station, sometimes the Radiation Protection group would see the company bought me a new pair when picked up a 'Particle' too hot and too imbedded to get off them. Smell was key, they started stinking off to new and leave those for feed lot use or around the farm beaters. Also have Muck boots for wet weather or wet work, they last around three years before start to leak. Wear a sock labeled Wells Lamont, do not know where made but last good long time and can be bleached once in awhile to kill the stink microbes.

  11. #11Tarhe Driver2020-01-18 17:27

    Polypropylene liner socks, worn under a normally-heavy sock, keep my feet warm and dry in winter and cool and dry in summer. Change every day. Here're the cheapest I could find, at REI. These are black. https://www.rei.com/product/860633/...MIwu6JyZeO5wIVzJ6zCh054wmUEAQYASABEgLaafD_BwE

  12. #12Fletcher2020-01-19 13:18

    I used bama’s in my boots in the winter. These were rubber chainsaw boots but they work equally well in a work boot. You need to size up accordingly. Dry them every night and was them regularly. And use clean socks every day.

  13. #13NepeanGC2020-01-19 16:14

    I typically get a 1.5-2 years out of a set of boots. Typically I wear the soles off them before they fall apart. I switched to a Royer composite boot a year and a half ago for lightness - best decision ever. I try and clean my boots once every couple of months and hit them with the waterproofer. Seems to keep the leather from drying out. For socks the best I found for me is actually from Costco - Merino wool blend. They seem to last and not reek. In the winter I'll use a thin synthetic liner sock under the merino for warmth. Tip for anyone washing synthetic materials - avoid fabric softener, and use vinegar as well as your usual detergent . I use about a cup of vinegar per load of laundry, my synthetic fabrics never stink. Been doing that for about 15 years now with good results.

  14. #14DMiller2020-01-19 16:43

    You want Stink, we had to wear Fire Retardant Clothing for electrical work at the Nuke, still have some of them I use for Grease clothes. Whatever the hell they treat these with stinks like skunk after just a few hours of Sweating Profusely, T and button up shirts were horrible, at least the jeans would wash down some. Also NO Fabric Softeners allowed(uses mineral oils).

  15. #15673moto2021-10-18 11:26

    I’ve heard leather work boots shouldn’t be worn day after day... it’s better to have 2 pairs and rotate them. Best I’ve managed is 2 years from Thorogood. Looking to get a pair of whites or nicks soon... heard they are the best

  16. #16Vetech632021-10-18 13:06

    My boot cleaner cooks and vacuums too

  17. #17Bluox2021-10-18 15:10

    Been wearing Whites about 45 years and they are about like every thing else price way up a some quality issues . My son ordered a pair 4 years ago and sent them back 2 times before they sent a new pair that were better. I will say their customer service was second to none. I usually kept 3 pair when I worked every day. They have a rebuild program where they rebuild your shoes for 200 bucks and the only part kept was the uppers. Bob

  18. #18Tones2021-10-18 15:39

    I wear a 85% wool blend socks summer and winter and my feet don't stink, keep warmer in winter cooler in summer. I get about 5 years out of them. The company that makes also makes socks with a wool, possum fur, synthetic blend Anything 100% synthetic doesn't absorb sweat which makes my feet stink and my feet cold in winter

  19. #19stinky642021-10-18 16:12

    In the words of the late, great Frank Zappa "My python boot was too tight, couldn't get it off last night, a week went by, now it's July finally got it off and my girlfriend cried, she said you got STINKFOOT"......boot rotation, clean socks and the boot dryer have always helped me to avoid stinkfoot.. On another note, if your dogs hurt every morning when you crawl out of bed and you don't want to spring for expensive orthotics try the "as seen on tv"walkfit inserts, paid about $20 on amazon for a pair and they cured the plantar fascitis that had been haunting me for over a year, they take a couple of break in sessions to get used to but saved me a trip to the foot doc..I now have them in all my work boots and morning pain is gone....

  20. #20Coaldust2021-10-18 16:21

    Good insoles, Smartwool socks and two pairs of boots work well for me. I like White’s, too. One pair is 15 years old with one rebuild. Too nice to wear around fuel. Keens are light and comfortable. I can get a year out of a pair unless I mess them up with fuel.

  21. #21Bootheal2021-10-18 23:14

    I totally agree with the Smartwool socks. They are awesome (and thick) so have them on when test driving new boots.

  22. #22JLarson2021-10-19 00:18

    I wear those grey heavy Carhartt socks. I also rotate boots, sometimes even during the day like on long shutdowns like 14 plus days I'll swap boots at dinner or something.

  23. #23Coaldust2021-10-19 01:37

    That’s a good idea. I keep one pair on the boot dryer and another on my feet during big winter time jobs. Especially, when I’m stuck in SE AK.

  24. #24Muffler Bearing2021-10-19 09:21

    I'm sure it sounds crazy, but I love my Snap On socks. And Keen boots with a boot drier, happy feet

  25. #25_Weldman_2021-10-19 10:07

    I don't understand how folks can have stinky feet, must be ones wet feet, diet or hygiene? Clean pair of socks every morning, keep your feet dry as possible and air them out when possible. Want to know some stinky feet, when we first invaded Iraq orders were sent down for the first month of no one take your boots off, if you must change socks one boot off at a time or if you need to air your feet out. Well that didn't work so well with missions extending up to 72 hrs since we were stretched thin on personnel.

  26. #26Bootheal2021-10-19 10:43

    This is going to sound like I’m not a fan of cotton. I live in cotton country and use it in most of my clothes but wearing white cotton socks for me will clear the house! Not sure why. Even with wool socks, my feet are damp during the day. Spud-Monkey, was a reason given for not removing your boots?

  27. #27_Weldman_2021-10-19 11:49

    Yep had to be mission ready at any second you never knew when the two way firing range would open up, didn't have time for you to put boots back on. Plus our unit was QRF for 3rd ID

  28. #28Bootheal2021-10-19 12:02

    Thanks for sharing…that’s a tight schedule. Glad you and others made it home. I’m sure there’s baggage to carry around from being over there and sorry for that but thankful you and others answered the call.

  29. #29_Weldman_2021-10-19 12:20

    Thanks I appreciate that and yes plenty of luggage to carry around, but one must learn to live again, make use of it not stack it up in the front door and block your entrance to what is still ahead in life.

  30. #30Bootheal2021-10-19 12:27

    Great attitude. Keep on keeping on.

  31. #31grandpa2021-10-19 20:53

    I hired a big chested gal just to follow me around and rub my feet on breaks. Feet still hurt but I don't mind.

  32. #32Coaldust2021-10-20 00:42

    Grandpa, You win the internet’s today with your words of wisdom.