Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking at 1988 cat 953

Jaymz ยท 2016-05-04 22:12

Found a 1988 cat 953 and tried it out. It's obviously older but seems to work well. Two things about it though. Seems sluggish moving until it warmed up and the red warning light intermediately flashes. All fluid levels are OK and after warming up runs well. Is the cold sluggishness normal. The light acts like it is just a possible short somewhere. Sorry if the post is vague, this will be my first big machine.

Replies2
  1. #1Georgia Iron2016-05-13 22:10

    I cant say for sure but I have two 20z machines. With about 14,000 hr on them. One takes it a few seconds before it will move the other is sluggish until it warms up. Not sure on your warning light. One works and one does not. I mostly watch the temp gauges. I love the 20z units. Make sure the muffler is good and not leaking exhaust in the radiator it will raise your temps, check the idler chrome rods to make sure they are not bent or broken. Good luck..

  2. #2Jaymz2016-05-14 08:01

    Thx for the reply. I went ahead and got the 953. I have been at several for a few months. As a lurker on the forum I ended up buying it for more than what most def 953's were going for, but the under carriage has already been replac d a d all cylinders recently packed. Did not want to purchase one and have to work on it... Well work on it other than normal maintenance on equipment. Like I said, been lurking here for awhile and it has been a great source of info