Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

looking at a 1992 ford 555 with bad motor

DaveA ยท 2021-03-14 22:17

Looking at a ford 555 with a Ford 201 motor that has a loose rod bearing . is this a dependable motor, if I do a rebuild. Or are they problemmatic. Is there another better choice of a motor. I can put in this machine. And is there other problems with this year and model of hoe

Replies10
  1. #1Coaldust2021-03-15 00:31

    92 was the year Ford switched to the 4 cylinder 256 in the 555D, I believe. Even if it does have the 201, both engines are simple and fairly inexpensive to rebuild or replace with a reman.

  2. #2Delmer2021-03-15 00:54

    https://lacrosse.craigslist.org/grd/d/cashton-new-holland-haybine-part-out/7287516923.html Don't know if this is the same or not, easy enough to check. I wouldn't be afraid of that hoe as long as it runs enough to check the functions.

  3. #3DaveA2021-03-15 08:54

    been looking at reman's they are going fro around $4k

  4. #4_Weldman_2021-03-15 10:47

    IMO it's not worth it, as you may have ability to fix the engine be reliable and so forth the parts for other parts of the backhoe are hard to come by. Get a Case 580 and you can find parts about anywhere.

  5. #5DaveA2021-03-15 11:03

    Have a case 580E that is agreat well taken care of machine. Was looking to up grade to a 4X4 machine with cab. Been though, the hard to find parts with a allis 816 and a IH. Didn't want to get on the same sinking ship. I just don't see many Fords on job sites around here. I could rebuid the motor on the Ford for around $1000. It has a bad crank, and the guy would take $7000 for the ford 555

  6. #6Welder Dave2021-03-15 15:13

    The Ford 555 was very a good machine in it's day. The engine is likely used in a lot of AG tractors as well. Ford used parent block bores and can be bored oversize. Went to a Ford clinic back in the early/mid 80's and they said it was less expensive to bore over size than have to replace liners. I think the 201 is generally a good reliable engine.

  7. #7Swetz2021-03-15 17:31

    I maintained a fleet of Ford 555's in the late 80, 90's. They were good machines. I would recommend them, however, I feel 7k might be a little steep, at least in my neck of the woods...I mean needing an engine and all. If you do decide to buy it, when you wheel the engine off the trans, make sure you chock the front axle so it doesn't pivot.

  8. #8DGODGR2021-03-15 18:05

    I operated triple nickels (555's) and 655's for many years and the engines were always rock solid. The straight 555/655, the "A" and "B" models (ie. 555A or 555B, etc) were great backhoes in my opinion. Ford started having troubles when they were bought by (or merged) with New Holland and started to put out the "C" models. In my opinion the biggest problems that the early Fords had were the power steering (super week -I think same pump as Ford Ranger- and would break your thumbs off if you hit something with the front wheel), and brake chatter in the rear diff. Be sure to have some friction modifier for the oil or use Cat oil (same ZF diff as the Fords) as they started including it in the oil package for rear ends.

  9. #9Check Break2021-03-16 03:45

    $7,000 is way out of line. By the time you go through it, you will have way more than $1,000 in repairs. $2,500 - $3,500 is what it's worth, depending upon what else is wrong with it. Are you saying this is a 4x4 machine. The early 555 4x4-s have few to no parts available for the front axles. Also, it isn't a '92 machine as the 555 series had 4 cylinders by 1992 and the 201 is a 3 cylinder.

  10. #10Oerthedge212021-03-16 15:17

    7k is steep for an early machine that has a bad bottom end. I agree on it being worth about 3k, especially since those ford's are a hassle to work on. You'll be splitting that machine in the process of pulling the motor out of it, and if it ever needs tranny work you have to split it again. That's why I went with a Case, not fond of the Ford design