Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking at a 95 410D to purchase, have some questions.

Arizona Coast ยท 2015-01-04 09:48

I went to look at a 1995 Deere 410D with @5700 hrs. Started easy, ran smooth- no smoke. Sounds good and has plenty of power. Didn't seem to have any issues going into gear etc- no weird noises while idling or driving. AC and heat both work good, lights and gauges all work. New oversize tires on the rear. No engine oil leaks, a little hydraulic fluid around transmission but not excessive. Pins and bushings seem fairly tight with exception of one of the outriggers and the hoe bucket seems pretty loose to me but not sure if that is just how the quick disconnect stuff is as it doesn't show any obvious signs of a beating. 4 in 1 bucket up front with forklift attachment and 18" and 24" quick disconnect buckets in the rear. The bad: Kind of weather beaten as its been sitting in Arizona sun all its life. Faded paint, seat and some interior pieces shot. Hoses dried and cracked on the rubber coating but not leaking. Outrigger rams need resealed along with one of the rams on the hoe itself. Front tires need replaced. History: It was a RDO rental unit for the first 2500 hours then bought by a small contractor for the next 2000 hours. Current (third) owner has had it 10 years and only put 1200 hours on it in that time. It comes with owners manuals, parts manuals, repair manuals and a few boxes of service items (have not seen what is in there yet). Up to now I have rented or borrowed equipment so I'm fairly new to this. What am I overlooking? What am I looking at cost wise to replace all exterior hoses (would do it myself by taking old hoses in to be reproduced)? How much material am I looking at if I want to paint it? Best place to buy from? Cost of replacement sticker kit? Is there a certain material everyone uses when recovering the seat? Asking price is $29,900 and I don't think there is much wiggle room on his end. It's definitely priced higher than some others I've looked at but the 4 in 1 with forks is something of value to me with our property along with it being local. Most great deals I've seen come with a $1500 to $2000 shipping price and require me to take a couple days off work to go inspect. Thoughts on the price/value?

Replies18
  1. #1Arizona Coast2015-01-04 09:56

    Forgot to add it's a 4x4 extendahoe with enclosed cab.

  2. #2Delmer2015-01-04 10:26

    I would guess $50-$100 per hose for a rough guess. I think there's an online place that makes custom hoses, and it's not that hard to specify the fittings, but I don't think there was any savings over local for a couple of hoses, maybe for the whole machine? I'd agree that the price is on the high side, but there are a lot worse things you can do than pay a little too much for the machine that is what you want. If it's really overpriced for the area, you could always soften him up by waiting? I'm really curious what size tires it has on the rear and how much clearance do they have to the fenders?

  3. #3Arizona Coast2015-01-04 10:57

    24.5 I believe but I could be wrong. Here is a pic of how they fit that my wife took.

  4. #4Shimmy12015-01-04 13:59

    One thing for sure to check is what the tractor was spec-ed with. The front and rear tires must match the gearing or you will have issues. If those back tires are bigger, the front can possibly be sized to match, but I would be skeptical of the machine if they have ran it with mismatched sizes(and I'm not saying they are).

  5. #5Arizona Coast2015-01-04 14:21

    That's a darn good catch that I didn't even think of. Thank you for chiming in!

  6. #6Shimmy12015-01-04 14:27

    No prob.

  7. #7Arizona Coast2015-01-04 14:33

    Just clarified with the seller- tires are as originally spec'd 12-16.5 front and 21L-24 rear. Not sure where the "oversize" part came into the sale ad- maybe because they are the biggest tire option for that model. Just learned something new.

  8. #8Shimmy12015-01-04 14:37

    Not sure if your preferable to Deere, but I found this yesterday. http://www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=10440833

  9. #9Arizona Coast2015-01-04 14:51

    Not brand specific at all. Just need something with weight and power as we have a lot of rock at our place so I was looking at that 410. That looks like the perfect rig for me but by time I add time off work, travel, sales tax and transport plus forks and the 4 in 1 bucket I hate to figure the final price. Its taken me 2 years of overtime to save up $30,000 in cash- surely the right rig is out there with a seller looking for a big stack of hundred dollar bills. I'm patient as the real work won't begin till April but would like it at least a month or so before so I can service it etc. I sure appreciate you guys helping me out.

  10. #10hosspuller2015-01-04 16:32

    Does the A/C work ? You'll bake in that cab if it doesn't. If the gas ports are clean. it's a sign of a recent charge & leakage.

  11. #11mudober2015-01-04 22:11

    AZ, Sounds like you may want to look for something a little newer to me. Hec your talking bout painting it, new tires on front, replacing hoses,rebuilding cylinders, maybe a new seat, pin and bushing. Thats at least $5000. Then you still have an old hoe with 5700+ hrs. You need to look at renting again if you have something that needs done now. Dont be too Quick to spend that hard earned money OK. Just my thoughts

  12. #12Bill Smith2015-01-05 07:15

    Looking at your picture ,That machine is far from weather beaten with that many hours . The front tires don't look to bad . I know hoses break at the wrong time but i would replace 1 at a time starting with most ragged one first . You can buy decal kits from other suppliers other than JD . But as I have said in the past at 5000 hrs that is when the big stuff starts to let go . As someone said in this forum , To take a few days off work and drive several hundred miles to find a good machine is money well spent , and at 30 grand im sure there is room for shipping included. Just my thoughts to

  13. #13Arizona Coast2015-01-05 09:41

    Yes sir, blows cold.

  14. #14Arizona Coast2015-01-05 09:43

    Thank you. This is the kind of info/opinions I'm looking for.

  15. #15hosspuller2015-01-05 12:47

    In January ? With snow on the ground .. All of my vehicles blow cold air ... even those without A/C !!! lol ... :tong See if the compressor is turning. Not just the pulley. The most common cause of a/c problems is leaks. A quick charge will get the system cooling, but a short time later ...nada ! Finding the leak is half the problem. :Banghead

  16. #16Arizona Coast2015-01-05 13:25

    Edit to add: Compressor kicks on and off, felt a good temp difference on the the lines going in and out the compressor so I assume it is working. Good call on the outside temps! Are AC problems normal on these?

  17. #17hosspuller2015-01-05 16:16

    A/C problems are common or normal on any 20 year old mobile system.

  18. #18Deon2015-01-05 20:35

    Arizona Coast, I have the 310D not the 410D. I like the way the entrance door is set up. No other brand or model is made like these. I find entering and exiting the cab easier than any other I have used. You don't have to hang on the side of the machine and stuggle with a heavy door swinging over the side of the machine. You just flick the latch and it opens by itself and stays open out of harms way while you pass through. You can even leave it open while you operated the machine and not worry about ripping it off the side of the cab. Also the steering is very light and only needs about 2.5 turns from stop to stop. Makes it easy for loader work. And the front consol/dash is narrower than most any other machine so front visability down to the sides of the bucket is about the best of any. The push button park brake is also a nice feature and easy to activate whether facing forward or backwards. All in all the D is a nice machine to operate. Just my opinion.