Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking at a d4h to replace dads td6 before we wreck it

NZfarm ยท 2011-11-22 05:12

Going to do up the td6 since the old bugger mortgaged the farm in 63 to buy it so looking for something with a bit more grunt. Found a 1995 d4h that's to be auctioned next week wondering what I should be weary of when looking at it. Don't know if the link below will work but interested in any feedback Cheers nzfarm http://www.turners.co.nz/Trucks/Pages/Vehicle-Images.aspx?RefID=952076&imgpage=1

Replies20
  1. #1grandpa2011-11-22 06:13

    Pay close attention to the roller frame's, D4H's were prone to cracking down from the track adjusting cover. A telltale string of grease will reveal the crack. Also examine the pivot shaft, the point where the roller frame attaches to the tractor,,, that flange is also prone to cracking... otherwise a dang good little tractor....... Gramps.

  2. #2Nige2011-11-22 07:36

    How many hours does it have on it..? Not many by the look of it. From the photos it appears to be a tidy little tractor. Is there a reserve on it and if so do you know how much..?

  3. #3D3DaveC2011-11-22 11:35

    I've never seen a D4H up close but like the look of them but a 4 cylinder in a big crawler like that? What does the D4H weigh? 22-23000 lbs? Even later model D3C had a 6 cylinder. If that 4 cylinder is tuned to get max hp out of it I would think it would still be working hard. Anyone who operated a D4H can comment on this?

  4. #4NZfarm2011-11-22 13:09

    5700 hours weighs 10 to 11 tone, photo's taken by car sales man so no closeup yet I have asked for some. Won't tell me reserve but value of 30 to 35,000 nz dollars. Not allot of small dozers available over here started looking at d31's and d3 but not many around. Know of a 2000 jd 650 but they want 70 grand bit out of my range Cheers nzfarm

  5. #5grandpa2011-11-22 18:37

    Mine has 105hp and it does anything I want it too. Heck of a little tractor. Early D7's had only four cyclinders so the no. of cylinders doesnt' equate to amount of pushing power

  6. #6580bruce2011-11-22 19:05

    G-Pa is right on the number of pistons. I always wanted to take a 4cy d-3,and push side by side with a 6cy d-3.I would always bet the 4cy has more torque,but I never checked.

  7. #7NZfarm2011-11-22 19:31

    Cheers g-pa trying to get serial number to see if it's 105 or 95hp. Any tests we should do when we take it for a drive. don,t think enough time for oil tests Cheers nzfarm

  8. #8JD955SC2011-11-22 20:09

    Get it good and warm when testing it, not just running it cold is one big tip I know.

  9. #9InsleyGuy2011-11-23 09:53

    I put about 5000 hrs on a very early d4h, 90 hp, and loved every minute. Also have a few thousand hrs on d3lgp's 4and 6 cyls, not much differance really. All were very good machines. Company had a d31, absolutely the worst dozer I've ever run. 1st gear too slow,2nd too fast,steering was always going out...hated it.

  10. #10firetrack2011-11-23 14:03

    NZfarm, Had a couple of D4H - great tractors that really perform well. If it has the 3204 engine it will be 95hp and if it is the 3304 it will be 105hp. We had our set up for scrub work with tree spears and walkin stick rakes. My D4's didn't have greasable bushes/bearing on the angle rams where they joint the 'c' frame and these tended to explode on a regular basis - easy and cheap to fix. Other than that nothing goes wrong with them. Will tend to drink a bit of fuel if your working on the govenor all day but they do get a lot of work done. I reraced the final drives on one of mine amd once again reasonably priced and easy to do. Mine were LGP's but with 18" standard grousers fitted. If it a 3204 engine just see how much 'blow past' it has to get an idea if it uses oil. thoroughly recommend these tractors. Used and non genuine parts available from plenty of sources. Firetrack

  11. #11tj_farmer2011-11-23 20:45

    mine is a xl3 which has the 3304, but i think its got enough HP. really handy little guy.

  12. #12NZfarm2011-11-26 03:19

    Thanks for the feed back will see how auction runs on wed. Cheers nzfarm

  13. #13THearn2011-12-04 17:32

    Firetrack, I am currently looking for a right rear idler for my d4h through my searching on the internet have not been able to locate used/rebuilt part. it seems I may have to go to cat to but get one.

  14. #14firetrack2011-12-05 04:24

    I think they were the same as D5B. I'm pretty sure you could source one from Tilly's in Toowoomba, Qld, Australia. I know they ship all over the world. Firetrack

  15. #15firetrack2011-12-05 04:31

    Try tilly's as they have a couple in their specials list now! Just google them. Firetrack

  16. #16NZfarm2011-12-05 05:09

    Missed the d4h chased it to $61000 about 10 past my limit. Stopped there as know of a 2001 john Deere 650h lgp with a/c cab 4800 hr for similar money. Interested In feed back about these dozers, what to look out for etc Cheers nzfarm

  17. #17THearn2011-12-05 19:19

    Thanks so much Firetrack was looking for someone a little closer to Dallas Texas US

  18. #18landworksTN2012-01-29 11:36

    We have a D4H and I cant say enough good things about it. Plenty of power vs other dozers similar to it's size. I have never had any major repairs done to this dozer other than hydralic hoses. It seems to be bullet-proof. It has unknown hours other than the 4500 ive put on it. Good thing about these machines is that they are cheap to maintain.....

  19. #19farmin2012-02-01 21:03

    I have a d5h LPG it's got a 4 cyl. 3304 and it's pretty decent on power and excellent on fuel. Pushing the 32 inch grousers is a job in itself I'm sure.

  20. #20Taylortractornu2012-02-04 19:40

    I think youll like a D4H pretty good. We run a small private commercial landfill and have run a D5B the last 17 years. The last few years we started looking for a cab machine. THe owner of our company likes older machinery that the local shop will fix and rebuild. We found a 13500 dollar deal in one. It needed an under carriage and the the cab glass and a valve body rebuild. We put another 12k in it, I was sceptical that it would be as stout as my trusty D5B. Its a lot more comfortable and seems to do everything the old B would do. It uses a tad more fuel per day doing what we do but not much. I like the 6 way blade for dress up of the cover layer and dressing the haul roads and slopes. Thearn whats wrong with your idlers? If they are worn you could do what we do and build them up. We saved the ones off the D4H that we took off and on a rainy day Ipp set them in between som blocks and build them up. We did this on the 5B and got 2 sets of rails to the idlers. On the 3rd set we didnt want to risk a worn out bearing so we bought new.