Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking at a JD850C dozer and wondering if I should run! Any thoughts?

DReiff62 ยท 2012-11-28 09:03

I'm wondering why a late model JD 850C dozer that has 6000 hours, has a good U/C 80 to 85%, and overall seems good is priced so low. Have two spotted, one is 30,500. the other 34,000. I know about the hydro cost when rebuilding them, but what about the hydro's other than the cost. Did they work well, would 6000 hours be about the life of the pumps/motor's? I'm assuming it's not hard to get a tech to check the pressure's, but is that a reliable way to access their condition? Combines have been hydro driven for 30 years and we love them, so what about dozer's? Any thoughts, experiences (good or bad) you'd care to share? As a side note, there is a 750B with rebuilt pumps for sale about 15 minutes from me; any thoughts regarding that model, size, as well. Thanks for sharing your thoughts/knowledge. I am new to the dozer world and am trying to avoid the "dang, I wish I'd have known that before" situation! Dan

Replies8
  1. #1OCR2012-11-28 20:17

    Well, this is a scanned picture and it's not very good. I'm not even sure if it's readable. It's the average component life, and cost to rebuild... it's a little old, too. Maybe you can zoom in on the relevant parts, I don't know. OCR

  2. #2390eric2012-11-28 20:57

    We have a 96 850c at work. Has around 9000 hours on it, no major hydro issues other than the one track speed sensor think that went bad. The tracks were going at different speeds, wasnt a major problem to fix. Did have one blade cylinder blow apart, and of course it has anew u/c. We call it the club at work compared to the 750j s cause when you get out of it, feels like you were beaten with a club, haha.

  3. #3oldirt2012-11-28 22:40

    call your local deere construction dealer and ask to speak with the service manager, then ask what it costs to replace (you do not rebuild a hydro) the transmission components in that tractor. This will tell you why they priced it so "cheap".

  4. #4Swamp rat2012-11-29 01:08

    The 850 C is a very good and dependable machines , we been running 2 for 8 years now , one a series 1 and a series2. The series 2 - i had to replace a Hydro motor at around 8500 hrs , had Deere dealer replace it on site ending ticket almost $ 22,000. The series 1 i dont know the hours on any more due to a bad hour meter , one day it adds hours and the next day it subtracts , it is around 10,000 from my estimate and still going strong.

  5. #5DReiff622012-11-29 08:32

    thanks for the reply... that is a real eye opener! Question answered!!!

  6. #6oldirt2012-11-29 17:59

    DReiff62.. just to be sure, re read swamp rat's 2nd sentence directly above.. do you feel lucky?

  7. #7Chisumtrail2012-11-29 22:18

    At least check the oil in the finals, one plug on outside of the final and one plug inside, between track and rear of dozer. We have worked on more finals than hydro system on deere c's and j's.

  8. #8kevin37b2012-12-01 15:48

    Do not not waste you time or money.That series machine has a bad record.Cooling issues are the big problem.