Im looking at a jd 500 series a that is about 5 miles from my house it does not run so i need to tow it home with one of my other tractors and the guy says its hyd steering so you cant steer unless its running.Is this right my 580 case has hyd cylinders but i can still steer it when its not running but i dont know about the jd.also any opinions about the jd 500a series im can get it for a little of nothing so im thinking about it for a friend of mine like i said i have m case 580 and wont part with it
The 69/70 500A is a great tractor, it has its weak points, the front of the loader frame is bolted to the motor but it is strong with 80hp & an 8spd trans it was a Cadillac in its day. Can't remember on the steering, check tomorrow to see. My dad bought his new in 1970 ran her for 8yrs as O/O then bought a new hoe 315, and side lined the 500 for use at home til 05' the main gear in trans went south but the motor sounds great.
There are 2 levers on the dash one is on the left i worked it and it acts like it is a forward reverse selector and there is one on the right that im not sure but after watching some youtube it looks like it is a hydrastatic or speed selector.If im right about this can i put the left in neutral and the right pulled all the way down to tow pull it home it isnt very far from me and i have a 42 hp kubota 4x4 to pull it home im hoping it wont hurt the trans in the jd.
lever on right coming up from dash is for the trans,start from your right knee all way down over is PARK 2nd position up is Neutral then 1,2,3etc .Clutch pedal is on the left,small lever on side is the clutch disconnect for towing or cold starts. lever on the right side of steering colum is thottle for the hoe & left lever coming up from dash is Foward N Reverse. I pulled on the steering wheel,I'm not 100% but if it was moving I think they will turn(I can see the front move ahair but got hard to turn).
thanks for all the help deere500a can you tell me what position i should have the clutch disconnect lever in to have the clutch disconnected.I went back over there today and the steering would turn right but very little left im thinking the cylinder for the left turn is probably low on oil but i think i can rig a temp steering to get it home also do you know if the brakes are hyd driven i pushed the pedal and theres no pedal thanks again for the help
If remember right the clutch disconnect lever you pull it to you. The brakes may not work without the pump running.Long time ago my Dad & I loaded a Chevy c60 with me in the cab,dad on the hoe pushing it up on the trailer,he had to stop to boom up the hoe bucket dragging he lost brake pressure when booming up truck & all surged back let clutch out to stop truck hoe coasted back to a stop(fun times). Can you make or have a draw bar you can chain to front bucket to pull it home ? I miss our 500
Yea im thinking i am going to take a gas welder with me and a old trailer tongue and weld in the bucket then block the loader so it cant raise or lower then just pull it with my tractor like pulling a trailer but the steering will be fun so far the best i have come up with is a long rod and a socket welded to it basically it will be operated like the flintstones car (haha) but the cool thing is i dont have far to go and its is all back roads.
I have a 410D I love this machine it works well its old but its great. I need a favor from you guys, I dont mean to jump this thread but I cant post a new thread I cant contact a admin either. can some one help me out and contact one for me and send him my way. sorry for doing this but i didn't know what eles to do thanks again
Hello Eagle98 make 3 more post & wait then you can start a thread or what not. Xpack have you found out why she will not start?
If you can't get it to steer maybe a car dolly would help get it home, slowly of course.
ok thank you, thank you Xpack for letting me use your thread.
Well the plan will be to get it home then work on it in the barn where all the tools are.I thought about a car dolly but i dont have one and im afraid it might drag the backhoe bucket.It acts like the motor is setup i cant get it to turn with fan and the starter is off it.the story from the owner is he bought it from a old neighbor who ran it out of fuel and let it set for 6 years supposedly it ran fine last time it ran 6 years ago.And now i have a chance to pick it up and i know im taking a gamble on it but i figure if i cant get her going i can always part it out.I did this with a farmall cub this winter it had set for 5 years outside and was setup but the night i got it broke loose and it had a stuck valve so i removed the head and valve and put it back together runs like a watch now.I had just bought my first backhoe 580ck about 2 months ago i got it for $3100.00 delivered it wouldnt move tore into it and with the help of this site found the woodruff key was busted for the shuttle pump i bought the new gaskets to put it back together and the dealer gave me 2 woodruff keys its kinda neat finding stuff like this as long as it dont get to expensive.I am actually looking at this for my best friend if we can get it going then he can take it home if not i wont have much into it.But i dont see a lot of info on these like i do the case 580 ck.I will keep you posted about the progress. Thanks for all the help
Good luck with the move. Will be waiting for pic.
Did you ever get this moved? I have the same problem now.
What problem are you having?
The backhoe won't start. I know someone who has a flatbed but no driver. So I'm looking for a driver for a flatbed in the Cape Girardeau Mo area to move it 25 miles.
These are a little heavy for a flatbed unless it's rated for 20tons. How dosent it start. Need battery's or try hitting the starter or replace. Or dose it just crank.