I am traveling 158 miles to look at one Friday. Anything specific I need to look for on these machines? I have heard mostly good things about them but if you have experienced other wise please let me know. Asking price is $22500.00 Its a 2000 year model with 4,700 hours on it. Its been used to clear some farm land and load trucks for the last 4 years. Thoughts? Thanks!:usa
I ran a 120 Mark 5 for a couple years and really liked it. It was fast and smooth and had plenty of power. It had a manual throttle lever, analog gauges and a cummins, never had any problems. It probably had around that many hours when it was sold so I don't know how they hold up long term. There are several old Kobelco log shovels around with 20000 plus hours that are still going so they can't be all bad. It really depends on the availability of parts and service in your area. It sounds like a decent deal if it is in decent shape which it should be with that low of hours.
Rusty Im new to excavators, so I'm probably the least qualified member on the board to offer any advise. I purchased the same machine, (a 98) about two month ago and so far I like it. Its relatively easy to work on and seems to be pretty well engineered. The pic shows loose tracks and that might be an indicator of a problem. 4700 hrs is quite low time... In your area there are logging crews that run Kobelcos, you might check around and find someone who is willing to assist in evaluating it. My best advice is to contact Adam (Mr Kobelco) and ask him what to look for. The subscription fee for his services is worth every penny!!!
that looks like a pretty sweet deal. The only thing i find with Kobelco is there is limited aftermarket support. So one even has to buy the air filter from Kobelco which can be a little pricey at times. But other then that great machines. Does this one have a Mitsubishi motor in it?
Thanks for the advice it's good to hear from a new owner and thanks for the advice. Does Adam hav a website or can I contact him through this board? Thanks. Thank you for the advice. The limited aftermarket support is alittle concerning. It has the Cummins motor.
Thank you for the response good to hear from someone with experience on theses machines.
I'm not affiliated in any way with Adam, but feel my money was well spent. Since your going to need the information by friday I would call him. BTW my machine came from Crossett. Cost a small fortune to move it.. hh
Thank you for the information. How much did it cost per mile to move it?
With permits for both states It was just a tad under $4.00/loaded mile. The excavator had a final drive bearing out and even though the planetary was removed, the track wouldn't freewheel. So moving it was a little more of a challenge than a load and go. The money stayed in the family though. I have a cousin in the trucking business that lives nearby and I knew I could trust him to take care of all the issues.
If I buy it I hope I can get it hauled that cheap. I was figuring $1500 atleast. $4.00 a loaded mile would be only $660. Your cousin need a haul? Haha :cool2
Probably not, I think that was his last Heavy haul. PM sent. I had quotes that went as high as $10.00/loaded mile.
Send me a PM and I will see if I can get it home for you, depending on where in Ark you are. Here is a photo of us hauling one of mine in Arkansas.
PM replied. Thank you for all your help. I really appreciate it. I am fixxing to head out to give it a look today. Will let ya know what happens.
That would be great. PM sent.
I just got back from looking at the ole girl. The pros: the engine and hydraulics seemed strong. The engine oil looked clean and didn't stink. For what little time I ran it it ran cool. The fuel and coolant temp gauge work. Controls seemed tight. Turn table is tight and their are no weird noises or major leaks I could see. Drive sprockets, rollers, idler and pads are in good shape. I walked it probably 1/4 of a mile. The cons: the engine has oil all over it especially on the top. I would say it's leaking from the valve covers. I could not see any coolant in the radiator when I pulled the cap off. Two of the hydralIc cylinders are weeping. Non of the lights, blower motor/heater, or windshield wiper type things work. Front bottom glass is broke out and one of the sliding glass on the door is missing. One track is adjuster is all the way out and the track is looser then Debbie. The other side has about an inch before it is flush with the rail. The owner told me he had taken out a pad in the chain on the one side but had not done the other side. He said he would do the other side if I wanted the machine. I told him I needed a few days to think on it. His asking price is $22,500 and he seems firm although I did not even make a offer yet. Thoughts?
Have a lot of seat time kobelcos. We had a 98 150 mark iv. Was a decent machine. Had over 11000 hours on it when it left. And it just needed swept out at the end of the day lol. Had pump rebuilt couple times but it had a hammer on it a lot. She was tired when she left but still managed to get production out of it. Kobelcos seem to be a 10000 hr machine Igun properly maintained. Every single one we had started to take money around 9000 hours. I feel that's a decent machine at that price and hours. The undercarriage is a big concern though. You will need one soon if links have been cut out already
From my novice viewpoint it seems like a reasonably sound machine that is going to require some work. Have you priced new chain?
I haven't priced a new chain but I had priced a full UC minus pads before I went down to look at it and that was going to run about $6500. Really the machine is probably well worth what he is asking. That said I am going to pass on this machine for now. My gut feeling was not that good about it and would like something alittle straighter. I maybe asking to much for what I am willing to spend. I have found a Cat EL240B that looks good. It's a one owner well maintained machine with new hydraulic pump and injectors. I am waiting on more pictures before I make the drive to look at it. I want to thank all of you for your advice and help with investigating this Kobelco. I really appreciate it.
I've owned a SK200LC IV for about 2 years now. It's been a good machine. Fast and powerful. Mine also has the 5.9 Cummins engine which I've heard is desirable. Mine has a few more hours and I paid a little more but it is super straight for the age and everything worked flawlessly. I've put about 1000hrs on it and the only issue has been the fuel solenoid. That and I tore the thumb off wrasslin a 56" diameter Cottonwood. I don't have any equipment dealers near me but I have two that get me parts next day with standard shipping. One handles a LARGE quantity of aftermarket parts to keep costs down. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.
Twisted, have I ever told you what I feel is an issue with the solenoid? We went through a few on our 9030's. I figure it was caused by leaving the key on without the engine running. You probably don't do it, but whoever had it before might have.
that is my by far favorite machine I ever bought , 11000hrs trouble free not a wrench put on it. not smooth but have more weight than most 200s and power